Raritan Valley Community College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Raritan Valley Community College

Dana

Raritan Valley Community College is a great school. This is where you go to find yourself, choose a career path, and save a little money while doing so. The professors truly care about every student they teach, the food is amazing on campus, and there is always some event going on. I loved knowing I could pick my own schedule around my jobs and life. Plus, I always felt safe on campus. I would recommend all nearby High School Graduates, still finding themselves, to check out RVCC.

Kirsten

Raritan Valley Community College is a great starter school to jumpstart your educational career! It offers a variety of classes and that will help you get ahead when transferring to a 4 year school. There are so many clubs to get involved in as well! The campus has a nice layout and is easy to navigate. Staff and students are friendly and you can always ask for help. Overall, I am enjoying my time here so far and am looking forward to next semester!

Abigail

I take part in the Honors College at Raritan Valley Community College and overall have a great time. We have multiple trips a semester, and attending community college has allowed me to continue at my current job and save up for when I transfer. RVCC has small class sizes which allows for less distractions, and allows me stay at home and spend more time with my family.

Kyle

I can honestly say I loved all my years at RVCC. The campus is safe, fun, and the teachers and people around to help you honestly care. Most of the professors are fun and understanding when it comes to college life, which helps the transitioning period from high school to college. I would, and have, recommend this school to anyone considering it.

Matthew

The college is a good educational institution that offers many services both well known and not. There is never a shortage of events, clubs, sports events to attend and has many areas for students to both relax and study in. The food is decent, pizza, chicken tenders, deli sandwich's and a everyday special. The library is a good place to study and has a large collection of books. The school is in the process of updating itself, both technologically and physically, it just expanded upon its science department and is now constructing an entire new building. The only two downsides are that the parking can be difficult and some of the professors, only a minority, do not care for their jobs or the students and have been known to be curt. Otherwise 80% of the professors are great and or decent.

Noelle

Raritan Valley Community College is a fantastic educational institution. The academics are challenging but engaging. There are a wealth of clubs and activities for students to be involved in. The class sizes are small and intimate. The professors truly care about the success of their students. I have loved my experience there!

Overall, for a community college, it's not too bad. We get a lot of incoming students from the local high schools, which can sometimes make a class feel young--like the 13th grade. With that in mind, also consider that only the introductory classes tend to have these students, making it a bit more challenging once your classes become more focused. The food in the cafeteria is not too bad, and they actually offer balanced hot meals for lunch for around $5 and change. There is no housing on campus because it's a community college. Between that and being community-supported, the pricing for tuition stays quite low, which makes it a great place for anyone in the area to start their higher education. I started here because I didn't know what I wanted to study straight out of high school, and this is a great place to start searching for your academic interests.

Cristian

I can say without a doubt that Raritan Valley Community College was a great way to start off my college career. It might be a small community college but if you really get yourself involved, you can meet a lot of great people here and you will have a blast. One of the top things I loved about this school was that they would bring inspirational leaders to speak to students and if you got to know them personally, it builds a lot of personal connections and of course, networking with a lot more people outside of the school. The staff are always so friendly and cheery, the professors are great and the advisers are really understanding if you're having trouble with classes or even need help choosing your classes. The variety of clubs and sports were good, as well, but some people just look down upon everything just because it's not everyone's #1 school they would have loved to gone to and it really limits what students get involved with but overall, RVCC is great if you make it great, I would definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to start their college career off right without a problem!

It is an affordable local school that many go to before transferring. The academics are challenging at times and the professors do want a lot from their students. So far there was only one professor who was completely inadequate. The school does not offer housing so all of the students commute. Many students commute from farther away because RVCC is one of the top rated public schools in the United States. They are thinking of adding housing because so many students come from far away. Overall it is a good atmosphere with many caring students and faculty.

Carly

"It's like the 13th grade." This is a familiar saying for high school seniors that do not decide to attend Raritan Valley Community College. However, most students like me are more than grateful to attend this nationally ranked community college in New Jersey. RVCC has many facilities and highly respected professors eager to help students in anyway possible. And even though RVCC is a commuter college, we still have similar student involvement like any big state university. I am proud to attend "the 13th grade" at RVCC!

Monika

I'm glad I chose to attend it despite it being further than my local community college. It costs me more too but I honestly think it's worth it. I've met great people here and even made life long friends. There are great tutors almost always available to help me when I need it (and so I tend to live in the tutoring center). The professors are for the most part great individuals that I hear and give praise for. One of my better decisions!

Evani

Many teachers that students will encounter do not only teach here or are not "rejects" from other schools - but many have chosen to leave bigger schools (ex. NJIT, Rutgers, etc.) and teach here. So while parts of the curriculum will always be different, the education received will usually be well-explained and the teachers can provide more attention because of the smaller classes sizes. Also, as a community college, there are a lot of job and career planning resources available on campus that will help direct your studies on a more organized path. Furthermore, they offer free tutoring and it is possible to be hired as a tutor if recommended by a teacher for that subject. Moreover, a large deciding factor between a university and a community college is, ultimately, how affordable it is in comparison. Personally, I work almost full-time hours as a waitress while also going to school full-time and manage to successfully complete my classes as well as manage my tuition. Currently, I have no debt because I am able to pay off each semester without a payment plan with no help (on the tuition or books) from my family. Financially, it is definitely an option that I would hope other students would consider just for the luxury of not acquiring debt so early in adulthood.

Kevin

A big community college. It has a lot of people from different walks of life. People don't always talk but there are some helpful people. Some of the professors are really good and try their best to work with you and the ones that don't usually work at a 4-year university and might not care as much about raritan

Colleen

I have zero regrets attending RVCC. It's a great foundation for those who are planning to transfer, such as myself. There are plenty of resources that support students in different ways. The curriculum is excellent as well as the professors, especially in the arts department. I have improved a lot and plan on using what I learned at a four-year institution.

Brianna

Raritan Valley Community College is rated the best community college in the state of New Jersey. Many out of county students are willing to pay the extra fee in order to attend such an amazing college. RVCC is the first community college in New Jersey to establish a selective Honors College. In my opinion, RVCC does live up to its expectations at an affordable price. Many students who attend RVCC are fresh out of high school. They are just now getting a taste of the real world and while some know exactly what they want to do in life, most do not. RVCC is a great starting place to really figure yourself out and see what your interests are. RVCC is great academically and socially. It provides many resources for its students to take advantage of, such as the academic support center. The professors hired really do have a passion for teaching and does not stop until their students fully understand the lesson of the day. I value RVCC's class size, as it is great for me who needs a smaller class size to concentrate and get one on one help with the professor. Also, students can join over 50 clubs and organizations as well as D2 and D3 sports. It is a great way to get involved on campus and make amazing friendships. Because it is a community college, many students have goals of graduating with their Associate's Degree and transferring. RVCC has more than 80 guaranteed transfer and articulation agreements with colleges and universities across the country and around the globe. I highly recommend Raritan Valley Community College.

Raritan Valley is an absolutely wonderful school. The teachers are extremely supportive and helpful, as well as the other staff. There can be a lot of stigma against community colleges, and RV has challenged every one of those. They provide an intellectually stimulating environment for every student on campus, and provide opportunities for a successful future.

Caroline

Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) is a small, but diverse community that allows for an intimate and high-quality college experience. From clubs, great professors, good food and even access to stress-relieving service dogs, this is a welcoming school that has everything! Personally, the campus proximity to my hometown and tuition costs were large factors in my decision to come to this school. As a high school senior, this was my first choice and I couldn't be happier that I chose to attend it. The school has nearly 100 clubs and organizations, and a variety of events throughout the year that allow you to get involved and exposed to opportunities. In addition, since RVCC is a two-year college institution, the school does a great job at preparing its students for their future college transfer. As a freshman, I’ve attended various college days at the campus and been involved in workshops that prepare me for the transfer application and prepped me for the professional world outside of school. The counselors, advisors, professors, and overall school faculty are genuine people and want to see you succeed. They’re are extremely helpful resources and are there to help you grow as a person and a student. Overall, Raritan Valley Community College is an amazing college with great opportunities and quality academics!

Mariam

It’s your average community college. The social scene is just okay, there are always events going on but you just have to put the effort in getting involved. Great campus to kick back and study and many resources are available. Overall not a bad college and gives you a lot opportunity to transfer and excel your academic career.

Bridget

It's worth it. RVCC allowed me to take it slow while also making incredible memories and connections with my professors and peers. There are gems of people among the staff and it is just small enough to provide the intimacy that I needed to succeed at this point in my life.