Reed College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Reed College

good

Natalie

I love Reed. There is such a present academic atmosphere, and there is always an opportunity to increase your knowledge inside and outside of class. The classes are interesting and engaging and the professors clearly love their field. The students go to class because they want to learn, no one is just "showing up". I found my place at Reed.

Reed is undoubtedly challenging-- but the rigorous academic environment makes for a student body that is passionate, invested in their intellectual and creative pursuits, and dedicated to the "life of the mind." Members of the Reed community hold each other to high standards of respect, honor, and inclusivity that make this environment welcoming. Institutionally, Reed has some major shortfalls in diversity (Eurocentric syllabi, low retention rates for POC, etc)-- but students (and many professors) are active and committed to spurring positive change. Reed offers an academic environment that promotes personal growth and is definitely rewarding in the long run.

Maia

This school is Hard. Be prepared if you come here, because they work you to the bone until there's almost nothing left. That being said, there is an amazing support network of friends, teachers, and counselors who all want you to succeed to the best of your ability. I really feel like I'm part of a family here and I've never felt so at home as I have with the people I've met. If you are weird or a misfit or a loner, Reed will welcome you with open arms.

Sam

Graduated in 2017. Very easy to get great scholarships and grants IF YOU GET IN. You better bring your A+ game if you think you'd like to apply. Cost me less than going to local University back home. Great 1st year dorms-many are new-I liked the old dorm with its large rooms. I liked that upper classmen were not guaranteed dorm rooms/they are by lottery-it was good to live off campus my last 3 years.(Never even locked my doors-safe.) This school is academically rigorous BUT they graduate more students who go on to get PhDs than anyone else in the USA. I graduated and got a high paying job in my field right away-I am a statistician. The arts are very important at Reed and they have a new performing arts center-great dance, music, theatre programs. While there are no athletic teams like football etc. Reed does require a certain # of PE credits and you can be on the rugby team, take dance, yoga, kayak-use Reeds cabin at Mt. Hood etc.New refurbished pool and exercise facility. The student population and school faculty is very physically active. This use to be a school people classified as a hippy academic paradise. With Kroeger as Prez there were upsets but he brought the endowment up millions and diversified campus. New Prez coming in 2018. This school has conservatives, liberals, diversity etc. all rolled into one. Reed is one school where you can find your niche no matter who you are. The only down side is the weak food in the cafeteria . That being said many students do group meals in the dorms which is fun and good.

Caitlyn

Reed is a beautiful campus with unbeatable academics and brilliant students. It's located in a safe and lovely neighborhood, with all of the living necessities at a reasonable distance. Overall, I'm incredibly grateful to attend and have found many opportunities here that I otherwise wouldn't have. I will say, however, that I wish that the college was more diverse. The student body is largely made up of white, upper class students, leaving a bit less room for them to learn from each other outside of the classroom.

Jon

Overall, Reed College is a school with unbelievable potential - some of which it lives up to, some of which it doesn't. Academically speaking this is the best education you will ever get, bar none. Most are extremely kind and thoughtful here. Fierce individuals dedicated to learning and/or making a difference. Downside - Campus culture can be insular, and is not always as welcoming as it proclaims.

Jon

Best liberal arts college in the world, hands down.

Baden

Reed College is an excellent school for mainstream intellectuals, students who have high grades and high scores on standardize tests. It poses challenging questions and pushes the student body beyond their comfort zone. It is beautiful and inviting, however prepare to be challenged academically. Excellent choice.

Olivia

It is a really gorgeous and engaging place to go to college. From the campus it's self to the classes available, it is really cool and exciting. I really like that Reed engages their students in social issues, and encourages outside of class learning. It is really academically rigorous.

Kieran

I love Reed and encourage all who are interested in learning to apply. I have met some of the finest people at Reed and I am very glad I decided to go here. the faculty and students are extremely kind and willing to learn and talk to you. The professors are all insanely smart but talk to you as if you are their peers and sometimes you are!