Denver, CO
Regis University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Regis University

Bethany

I think I would write myself a letter... Dear Highschool Me, I know you think you are ready and that you feel like no matter what happens, you'll do fine. Now, I'm not saying that isn't true, because it is true, but you should still be cautious. You see, life tends to take things as a challenge; you say you're ready and excited for college and it throws countless challenges and obsticles in your path. So, that being said here is my advice... Always speak up. I know it's really hard, but you need to at least get yourself out there a little bit. Don't miss class. It's not like highschool where your parents get called, but if you miss one class you realize it's not a big deal and then you miss six classes and that, that's a big deal. Also, trust yourself and be confident in it. It's incredibly hard to figure everything out if you aren't confident in yourself, first. Lastly, if things start to go wrong, don't be afraid to ask for help, ever. And don't forget, I'm always here for you.

Personally, I am not the type of person who really thrives here; hence why I am transfering. However, I don't think it should be said that any type of person SHOULDN'T attend this school. I struggled because of not forcing myself to get myself out of my comfort zone and because of it being my first year since preschool to have new classmates or have to make new friends. That being said, though, I think everyone who is interedted in attending Regis, should. You never know how it will go until you try, no matter who you are.

On many occasians I have had the opportunity to brag about Regis University. I always start by describing the capmpus. The school is tucked away in its own oasis away from the rush of the city. Everywhere you go on campus you can find benches and tables tucked away in tree coves and large grassy areas; perfect for studying. I then move into talking about the classes and the professors. Most of the professors are incredibly personal and learn everyone by name. I've had some of the best conversations with my professors. And that's just the begining.

I would tell myself to study harder, and continue with the foreign language. A third year would really help and give me some college credit. Getting a good study routine would be smart so that when you get to college, you aren't so pressured and stressed. Learn to spend your time wisely and productively. Be sure to ask for help always, when you get to college, you will not have the luxury of having teachers who actually care that much. Your friends will come and go, but they are not going to help you get the education and degree you need; so focus on school, then you can have a social life. Self discipline is important, learn to monitor yourself and know what's right or wrong. Mom and Dad will not, and should not have to tell you everything anymore. Really research colleges to see which one suits you best, and do not pick them, based on who will be there, but on what makes you happy. College is as hard or as easy as you make it. You can take the easy way and take relaxed classes, or you can challenge yourself and progress faster. Challenge yourself!

Vivianne

Regis is awesome! Although the price to go there can seem intimidating, it is well worth it. Classes are small which gives you a more individualized and personalized education. The teachers are always willing to help and watch you succeed. And there is always something to do there, you will never be bored. There is some activity going on at least every night. Everyone there is also very welcoming and since it is a smaller school, I promise you will not get lost as easily, so don't let that scare you.

I have plenty of advice I would give myself as a high school senior. All throughout high school I took advanced classes but the information always seemed to stick, so I rarely had to study. Once I was in college though this was an entirely different story, so I would say that you should really take your reading seriously. If you do not read the assigned chapters then you will fall behind. Another thing to really take into account is the syllabus that teachers give you at the beginning of the semester. They follow their schedule religiously and it is a great way to map out your semester so you know what to expect later. Another thing I would tell myself as I go into college, is to not be afraid to ask for help from teachers. While in high school I never felt the need to ask for help; I would just figure it out myself. Trying to figure things out on your own is much harder as the information becomes more complex in college, so don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help from professors; that's what they're there for.

The worst thing about my school has to be the amount of work and time you have to put into your homework. Sometimes I will have so much homework that I will still not finish it even though I've spent all night working on it and I talk to friends that go to other schools and they don't seem to have this issue at all. Some words of advice, because you will run into this issue, is to manage your time wisely. Do not slack off because you will get behind in your work.

Alyssa

If I were able to go back I would tell myself to try my best in the last year of high school, be as involved in as many extracurricular activities as you can. You will miss highschool. Once you get to Regis, be as nice and friendly to everyone you meet. Friends are a vertue and will help out a lot when you are feeling homesick and need someone to talk to. Get involved at Regis, this not only keeps your mind off of being far from home, but it also enables you to meet more friends. Lastly, take advantage of all the tutoring sessions and centers that are their to help you. When you have a question or don't understand something, ask. Take your school work seriously and try your best. As long as you do these things, you'll go as fa as you can. Oh and also enjoy yourself, don't stress everything will work out in the end.

The best thing about Regis is the easy access to tutoring and outside help. The professors really care and go out of their way to make sure every student understands. Also since the classes are so small the professors are able to give each student a better understanding.

Before I came to this school, I wish I had a better understanding of exactly how small it is. You know everyone and everyone knows you. This has its up and downs but depending on your personailty this can make you or break you.

Trudy

This is a school centered around religious study of all religions while allowing you to explore you relationship to God's World. The Jesuit education is rigiorous, up to date, and will prepare you for graduate school and beyone.

Education is an opportunity, a blessing, and the gift you will give to your life, family, career and the world. Do not stop at the minimum or take the easy way out when the going becomes difficult. Just getting by will never be enough for you. Growth is an essential and sometimes painful process to become better spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically. The benefit you will provide comes in reaching your full potential and then teaching others how to reach their potential. Many will come to you seeking answers to life problems. Study harder than required to complete your degree. Fill your mind with the best answers you will find. Prepare to share your knowledge with a world hungering for truth. Do not be afraid to share yourself, your ideas, and your failures with those you will encounter. It is in your failures that many will find the way to avoid the pitfalls of life. Lift up your eyes and mind beyond your own petty imaginings and ego. Pursue opportunities to love others through service as it will bring you greater joy than all the accolades you dream of achieving. Your motto becomes: Touching each life, one at a time.

Are you interested in excelling academically while gaining lifetime writing skills? Do you believe the reason to obtain a higher education is to serve and help others? Do you want to learn in a Jesuit tradition from a school who is alligned to their mission statement? If so than Regis University is for you.

Shauna

The best advice I could give myself if I were once again a high school senior would be to focus more on job shadowing prior to entering college. As a teenager, it is very difficult to determine a career or professional discipline if you have never been exposed to anything but a minimum wage paying job. Sometimes, an entry level position can indeed lead one to have a greater understanding about their career objective, even if it is to gain an awareness of what one does not wish to do for the remainder of their working years. However, it would be advantageous if high school students would either complete a co-op program offered through their educational institution or else be ambitious enough to seek an internship in a specific working environment they believe would be rewarding. Were high schoolers able to apply the above advice, they may be able to prevent wasted expenditures on an educational degree that they thought they would find stimulating, only to realize that the career field of their choice was not at all what they imagined it to be upon graduation and subsequent entrance into the workforce.

There isn't any prior knowledge I wish I had before attending Regis University. I was an online student and was completely impressed by the fluidity of the program.

My favorite bragging right in regards to Regis University is the fact that all students must complete a community service project in fulfillment of the Jesuit philosphy.

Jeannine

They offer unlimted volunteer services that open doors into the business world.

As I go back in time I would meet myself at starbucks and have a talk about what I want for myself after high school. As a student who was focused and had a dream to go to college to become a pediatric doctor, I would make sure that I had an alternative plan. I would tell myself that in college there are going to be people who are not as support as your family, but you can’t let them get to you. No matter how much they discourage you, believe in yourself, look into what makes you happy and you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. The transition into college isn't hard, but choose a school that supports your religious beliefs and doesn’t force your to conform to things you don’t believe in. Stay focused and no longer how long it takes choose the school that your heart chooses not what others have chosen for you. People in college come and go, but those that helped you to get to where you are now and are still with you, keep them close and don’t let go. Save and spend wisely.

Heather

Our school is best known for our Science programs and our ability to get jobs after graduation.

Enjoy high school while you can. It goes by quick, and even though you can't wait to get out of high school, you'll miss it. College is so much harder than you expect. You're going to be stressed, tired, and exhausted, but it will all be worth it soon enough! Be nice to mom and dad, because they are now in debt up to their eye balls! All for you! Don't be nervous about moving into the dorms and being so far away from your family. You'll make plenty of new friends and you can call your family every day! College is so scary and so exciting all at the same time! Don't take any of this time for granted and don't wish it away. This is a magical experience and you are so lucky to get to have it!

Amber

There's honestly nothing that I don't like about the school. I really fit in here. It's not too big and its not too small. The campus is beautiful. I spend most of my time on campus because honestly, I enjoy it. I love the Chapel, I love the support that the school gives us, I love how personal everything is. No, we might not have the most school pride. We might not be the biggest party school or have a little 'town' to shelter us from the rest of downtown. It's a wonderful experience if you really have an idea of what you want to do with the rest of your life.

What do students complain about most?

It not being a big enough school or having a 'crazy' enough party scene. Neither things bother me much- I really enjoy being able to get to know the majority of the campus and knowing that they know me well enough to have my back if something happened. And though it's not a 'huge' party school, Regis kids do party. They just party intelligently, without having so many people get hurt or ruin their lives. We have fun just like everyone else its just more responsible fun than most colleges.

What are your classes like?

Intimate. I've never had a class that was over 40 students, and I'm finished with all of my CORE requirements. I'm also in the Honors program, so I really get to reap the benefits of being in those upper level classes. We get into a lot of real in depth discussion- professors don't so much lecture at us than lecture with us.

Beautiful. The buildings are all made out of this kind of rusty brick and vines crawl up the sides of every one of them. There are trees everywhere, and big thick bushes and clumps of flowers. It looks more like a nature reserve than a school, really. It's small, but because of all the foliage it seems a lot bigger once you've been walking around it for awhile. There are just so many different places to be for such little space!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Most memorable day on campus so far would definitely be the fireworks display we had last year after the Mr. Regis competition. It was just so cool to have everyone laid out on the soccer field, all huddled together after watching an awesome show, and be able to look up into the sky and see fireworks exploding everywhere. It was a wonderful night.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Regis University is a Jesuit college in downtown Denver, Colorado that's full of mostly nursing students, but is also home to a diverse set of majors and careers. It's really focused on service and in community building, which is easy because it's such a small campus. It's really a school of one big family learning together- it's hard not to know everybody while going to school here.

Its a tie between Ranger Week and the Snow Ball. Snow Ball is great because you get to have just a couple more years of going to a dinky little dance- its just like a high school homecoming, but with older kids. It's so much fun too- people take themselves a lot less seriously than high schoolers at homecoming do, and so it keeps all of the fun in the dance. And Ranger Week's just a hoot. A whole week of goofing off and having a blast- powderpuff football, eating contests, free shirts, and then Ranger Day? Last year we had a mechanical bull at Ranger Day and boy was that fun.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Federal Street and Lowell. The campus is surrounded by small businesses- there's Regis Pizza, Venice on the Blvd, a small little Barber shop, an Everyday and across the street theres a Dollar Store, Village Inn, Taco Bell, McCoys diner and a Pizza Hut. Honestly everything you would need for campus living is within walking distance. The school is also smack dab in the middle of a residential district, so there are a bunch of houses nearby. I would say a good third of those houses hold students- I myself am moving into a house less than an 8 minute walk from campus in June.

The beauty of it, and the location. Because its an arboretum, you're surrounded by trees all the time and it's just gorgeous. Especially in the winter, when all of the trees are covered with snow. It's like a personal escape. Which is interesting, considering its location on Federal- go outside the school and you're in the thick of a pretty low-income area. It's very eye-opening.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are pretty standard. For freshmen, I would recommend DeSmet if you don't really like all-white walls (DeSmet's walls are brick). The common rooms in DeSmet are also in the middle of each floor instead of at the opposite ends of the hall like in OConnall. Both dorms are pretty roudy though. They're really made for socialization, which is great during your first year here. I currently live in West Hall, which is a dorm for certain freshmen and upperclassmen. These dorms are suite style and that works well as a room, but the dorm itself really isn't social. People hardly every hang out in the common rooms unless they are doing homework so West is pretty quiet.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I actually decided to go to this school as soon as I saw the Chapel, but really it was mostly about the size of the school, the proximity to downtown and the Honors Program.

Thursday Thrills and Free Friday Night movie are definately big. We also have two 'spirit' kind of weeks- Ranger Week and Snow Week. Snow Week comes first and is more 'girl' oriented- it's got the 'Snow Queen' competition and the winter Snow Ball formal dance at the end of it (this year we got to have the dance at the Botanic Gardens, and it was amazing). Ranger Week is more 'guy' oriented. Last year the theme was Rodeo and they have the Mr. Regis competition and 'Ranger Day' where we literaly just have a day where the whole campus is turned into a kind of carnival/fair of fun right before finals.

It's a Jesuit school, so you'd probably guess that the only people here are middle-class white Catholic kids. But I've honestly met more atheists, Buddhists, and agnostics than I have Catholics on campus and we really get along pretty well. For such a small, private school you can't beat the amount of diversity we have. It is a bit of a 'classier' student kind of school. You don't see too many girls wearing sweats or guys with super sagged pants walking around. People, from all different backgrounds, tend to be more clean cut and professional.

Because of the small size of the school, the professors really get to know you. My advisor, Dr. Palmer, gets an e-mail every time I pretty much do anything. I write a bunch of new poems? He gets them. Then he picks which ones he likes and sends them to my other professors who talk to me about them in class and we get in huge discussions about what I can do with my writing. Everything is connected. The professors really work with you, and they are involved with so much on campus that you just know that they actually care about you succeeding. For the most part, they aren't just going to cart you through classes. For this reason a lot of the classes are hard, because they force you to actually think instead of just cough up notes, but they are the most beneficial in the long run.

If I could go back in time, advice to my high school self would be this: Be Yourself. In high school, students are fixated on their appearance. From the way they dress to the way they walk, talk, and eat, they are striving to be “perfect”. It has become a food chain- if you don't make a name for yourself, your chances at social success are shot: You get trampled on by those “higher up”. It has become that there's no such thing as self-expression or "being yourself" anymore; it's all smoke and mirrors to make yourself appear bigger and better than you actually are. If we all stopped agonizing over our looks and began to be honest about ourselves, insecurity would be a thing of the past. So much sweat and blood is put into our high school image that we forget who we are, and forget to appreciate the naturally beautiful aspects of a simple life. So, what would the exact words be to my high school self? As Judy Garland said, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."

Regis University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.