Denver, CO
Regis University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Regis University

I would go back and tell myself that college is a very different experience from anything that I have ever experienced before in my life. Several ways that I would tell myself to prepare for when coming to college are academics and the social aspect to college. One reason that I would mention academics to myself if I could go back in time is because I would want to tell myself that I had a good education in high school and that I should not have been as worried as I was before school started and so I should have just relaxed a bit more and not gotten so nervous about certain assignments. I would also tell myself about the social aspect because it is a very different experience living on campus and it is something that was very new to me going to a new school last August. One final thing that I would tell myself is that I will do fine and that it is not as scary as people make it out to be.

People who are committed to their studies and work hard in all of their classes. Also people who really like a small, close-knit community and and small campus would really like the school. Another group who would really like this school are people with strong religious affiliations because Regis is a Jesiut Catholic school and so has strong religious affilations, but don't be worried about the catholicism because they accept all different religions.

People who want to be a part of a party scene because Regis doesn't really have a big amount of people who like party a lot. Also people who do not really pay attention to school and their classes because Regis is a very academic school and so people who are not interested in school will not do well. Also Regis is a very small school and so people who are looking for a larger school will not like Regis.

Dulcina

I love Regis. I really like that it's a small campus, because we get to know more people, and the professors all know us individually. It's nice to go to a school where you can greet people every time you're walking to and from class. The only complaint I've really had while at Regis had more to do with the students than the school. I personally am not a big fan of the house party scene, and that's about all Regis students seem to do for fun on the weekends, so I wish that there were more students up for doing things other than that, but the school does provide activities every week, such as Thursday Thrills, that offer at least some fun other than parties all the time. There is a lot of school pride too, which I find impressive considering it's such a small, and relatively unknown school. Everyone who attends Regis really takes pride in the activities that go on, the sports, and the school itself.

Ranger Week is probably the best tradition Regis has. It's kind of like spirit week in high school, where each day there is some other activity planned. It's the week before the last week of classes before summer, so it's a good way to have fun before we all have to start studying for finals. They always have a hypnotist and the Mr. Regis pageant, and last year we had a fireworks show after Mr. Regis. The final event is Ranger Day, which is kind of like a carnival. There's always food, games, a beer garden, henna tattoos, a band, and last year we had rides as well. It's a really fun event that the school puts on.

What are your classes like?

For the most part I really like the classes at Regis. The classes are quite small, which I like, because the teacher gets to know the students. They are more of discussions than lectures most of the time, and even when the teachers do deliver a lecture they're usually more laid back than other lectures I have visited, or the lectures I am currently taking while studying abroad.

Describe the dorms.

The freshman dorms were very small, and DeSmet was much nicer than O'Connell in my opinion. They weren't the most ideal dorms, but the atmosphere was really nice and the school provides students with a fridge, microwave, and free internet and satellite, which I know is not the case at many schools. The upperclassmen dorms are very nice. I lived in Residence Village last year and it was great. The rooms were bigger, and you only had to share a bathroom with one other person. We also had our own kitchen as well as a washer and dryer in each individual house. It was by far one of the best dorms me or any of my friends at other schools had.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Regis mostly based on how much financial aid they gave me. When I narrowed down my choices I was between Regis and Seattle U, both of which gave me a pretty good scholarship. I went to visit both schools and ultimately settled on Regis because I like the feel of the campus much more. I always imagined myself going to a small school with a real campus, which is what I got at Regis, so I chose that one.

Regis academics are very good as far as I'm concerned. All the professors know your name and most are good about using multiple teaching methods. Most students study nearly every day, at least of the ones I know. I am in the Communications department, and while a lot of my friends think that's the easy way out at college, I think it's a fairly rigorous course load. We have papers every couple of weeks, daily homework, and most of the time attendance in class is necessary to get a good understanding of the topic. I personally have not spent a lot of time with professors outside of class, but I know lots of students do. We have one COM professor who hosts weekly poker nights for his students who are over 21. Even if you don't see the professors out of class, there is still a friend-like relationship with them, at least in the COM department. We all are on first-name basis with the professors which, while it was weird at first, I've grown to appreciate. It's not an extremely competitive school, but everyone participates in class and most seem to really pride getting good grades.

I would say the stereotype is that everyone on campus is Catholic and a nursing student. While these are both very common among students, I wouldn't say that it is an accurate portrayal of our school. Personally, I am neither Catholic, or a nursing student, and most of my friends are not nursing students either. We're all majoring in many different things from Communications, to English, to Art, and Education. A lot of students classify themselves as Catholic, but most are not really practicing, so I would discount that stereotype as well.

Morgan

The stereotype of students at Regis University is that we are studious and focused. I would have to say that this stereotype is true for the most part. People also might think that because it is a Jesuit university that religion is forced upon the students, and this is not true.

Maria

The best thing about Regis is its class sizes. On average most state schools have 500 students in their classes but here at Regis we get one on one interaction with the professor with the class sizes being 60 or below. The teachers know your name and are willing to help at any time.

The students at Regis at great. Everyone is friendly and always willing to help. There are always smiles on their faces and they are very polite opening the door for you. Students here love the Rocky Mountains and enjoy weekends of skiing and snowboarding as well as enjoying the great sports that Denver has to offer.

The most popular activities at Regis are the intramural sports. The athletic events are extremely popular here at Regis especially: volleyball, soccer, and basketball. Regis is located just 10 minutes from downtown Denver where there is a lot to do such as going to professional sporting events, great food, or just walking around and looking at the skyline.

The academics at Regis are great. Teachers know your name and are always accessible. There is emphasis on group work and having study groups as well as a great library that meets all the study of needs of most individuals. Regis is a liberal arts school which focuses on making well-rounded individuals which is done through the core requirements.

A stereotype of Regis students is that we are all rich students. This is not an accurate stereotype seeing as all students receive some sort of scholarship from Regis.

Donald

Personally. I like Regis University very much because it has a great environment for learning. Large class sizes are something that rarely occur at Regis. Many people complain about the size being to small, but I think it is great for the person who wants an education that is hands on. When I tell people that I attend Regis, they understand that it is a great school with a student body of strong integrity.

At Regis, almost all of your professors will know your name after the first week of classes. Participation is greatly encouraged here and because of this new doors are opened to different types of learning. At Regis, every full time professor is required to offer at least 5 office hours a week. Education at Regis is focused on bettering the whole person. While my major may be accounting, there are many classes taken outside of this subject area that help me be a more well-rounded student and human.

Often the stereotype associated with Regis University is that it is an overpriced Jesuit school. While tuition may be fairly steep, the scholarship opportunities that are offered by Regis help to even this out.

Alberto

I love the fact that regis is a smaller school. You make lasting friends quickly, build relationships with your professors, and it just feels more community driven which gives students a sense of belonging.

Regis University doesn't really have a stereotype. We are a small, yet diverse, campus.

Cassandra

Regis University has a community that does not adhere much to stereotype-based cliques. There are groups that find themselves particularly tight-knit (such as the Honors students, various sports teams, and other extracurricular groups) but members of these groups tend to branch out as well and have many friends with many other interests. From an outsider standpoint, Regis students are typically seen as very smart and very dedicated to social justice and change in the world. This is true - but contrary to popular belief, Regis is home to a diverse student body in terms of both religion and politics. Any stereotypes that do exist within campus boundaries are more along the lines of a student's major but there is little negative effect of these stereotypes.

Caitlin

My words of wisdom to my eighteen year old self probably sound somewhat different than anyone else’s. My junior year of high school my dad lost his job of seventeen years in the economic downfall; this was a hard hit to my family. I have had a part-time job since I was sixteen, so though I was already working, I decided to get another job. I wanted to help my family any way I could. For months during my senior year I worked two, and at one point three, jobs. Saturdays for me started with a shift at 7 A.M. and three sifts later I would get home around 2 A.M. Though most twenty-somethings may look back and tell themselves “be more responsible,” I would simply tell myself: “Live a little while you have the chance.” College is full of responsibilities. Classes are harder and more time consuming; there is not much time to have fun. I am proud of the responsible adult I am, I just wish I would not have been in such a hurry to get here. My dad always said: “You have the rest of your life to be an adult.”

Mallory

The advice I would give myself If I were able to talk to my high school self would be to loosen up, have fun, and achieving top tier grades aren’t all that important. Sure that’s what the teachers tell you but the true gift of knowledge is what you do with it and the joys you get out of it. If all one ever cared about was grades then they would find no joy in life because they would be so obsessed with getting the grades that they forget everything else. One thing I would also tell myself would be to focus more on the qualities of a career that are of interest to me. Currently in College, I spent so much time figuring it out that when I finally found it, it was almost a last minute change and I am soon to be graduating so I missed out on all the opportunities that I could have had. The third and final thing I would tell myself would be to not be limited by one’s fears-another aspect about college is to experience things. Don’t be limited by what you are comfortable with: have fun!

Kelly

I love this school because we are minutes from downtown Denver and only a few hours from the mountains and skiing. It is the perfect location, not to mention a beautiful campus that is also an Arboretum!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done is most definitely the library. It is a gorgeous building on the inside, with four floors. The third floor is my favorite because it is reserved for quiet study so no talking aloud! All the desks have a view out one of the bay windows that surround the entire building. You can find little nooks and crannies to study in the basement and there are several group study rooms with televisions. The basement also has a great movie selection for renting movies (free of course). The front overlooks the quad. The only thing that distracts me is looking out the window at all the students having fun playing frisbee and sun bathing while I am stuck studying - but this is inevitable!

When you step off campus what do you see?

When I step of campus, I am surrounded by a friendly, mainly Hispanic community. Many of the store signs are written in Spanish like, "Lavaderia" and "Carniceria." On one side of Regis we have Lowell Blvd which will take you straight down to the Highlands, a cute little area of town with many delicious local restaurants and shops. The Federal Blvd side of campus has chain restaurants like McCoy's, Wendy's, Caesars Pizza, and McDonald's. I mainly stay away from this part of town unless I am driving through to get to highway 70. In walking distance there is the Rocky Mountain Lake which is great to go for a run or a bike ride.

What do students complain about most?

Students complain mostly about the food services... although, I must say that this year the food is excellent. Last year we were catered by Sodexo - not so good. This year we are catered by Bon Appetite. All of the food is organic and a lot of it is local and is grown (or raised) in Colorado. There are good options are vegetarians and the salad bar is incredible! I am so satisfied with this company.

Our campus is an Arboretum! Don't worry, when I came to Regis, I had no idea what an Arboretum was either. Basically, it is a botanical garden devoted to trees. People come from all over the country just to see all the different kinds of tree and plants that Regis has growing on campus. Almost all the trees have identification tags on them. So don't be surprised if you see small tour groups crawling through the foliage!

Describe the dorms.

The dorms at Regis are in prime condition when you consider those at some other universities. The two freshman dorms are Desmet and O'Connell. I lived in Desmet my freshman year and I loved the red bricked walls lining the inside of every room, as well as the bunk beds, comfy NEW mattresses, and heating/air-conditioning. I was extremely comfortable and O'Connell is similar except has white walls instead of red brick. They both have grassy areas out front for hanging out and are a 1 minute stroll from the quad and the cafeteria.

What's the Greek scene like?

There is no Greek life at Regis. Personally, this does not bother me one bit. I am not the kind of girl who would enjoy a sorority. It just depends on what you are looking for. There are plenty of ways to get involved at Regis and finding that nitch is not too difficult because of the tight knit community we have here.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

So, the sports scene, or lack of, was probably the only real dislike I have of this university. There are plenty of varsity sports like mens and women's soccer, basketball, lacrosse, golf, volleyball, and cross country. The only major sport we don't have is football, the sport which many students think of when they imagine college. We do not have a big stadium and the school spirit definitely needs improvement. Recently, the Dance Team and Cheerleading Squad has been working to improve school spirit and get more students out to games.

Despite Regis small size, we really know how to party. Typical party nights are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. What we lack in tailgating for a football game (no football at Regis) and fraternities and sororities, we make up for at large house parties.

Students at Regis are very relaxed with their day to day appearance. Sweats and t-shirts are acceptable and widely worn. The majority of students do not dress-up for class or sports games. We like to save the cute clothes for the weekends and special occasions!

Academics, at least in the nursing program, are challenging. We focus not only treating a patients physical ailments, but also the psychosocial and emotional component which all exceptional nurses assess in their clients. This is a holistic healthcare that we focus on at Regis.

Regis University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.