Denver, CO
Regis University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Regis University

Amber

There's honestly nothing that I don't like about the school. I really fit in here. It's not too big and its not too small. The campus is beautiful. I spend most of my time on campus because honestly, I enjoy it. I love the Chapel, I love the support that the school gives us, I love how personal everything is. No, we might not have the most school pride. We might not be the biggest party school or have a little 'town' to shelter us from the rest of downtown. It's a wonderful experience if you really have an idea of what you want to do with the rest of your life.

What do students complain about most?

It not being a big enough school or having a 'crazy' enough party scene. Neither things bother me much- I really enjoy being able to get to know the majority of the campus and knowing that they know me well enough to have my back if something happened. And though it's not a 'huge' party school, Regis kids do party. They just party intelligently, without having so many people get hurt or ruin their lives. We have fun just like everyone else its just more responsible fun than most colleges.

What are your classes like?

Intimate. I've never had a class that was over 40 students, and I'm finished with all of my CORE requirements. I'm also in the Honors program, so I really get to reap the benefits of being in those upper level classes. We get into a lot of real in depth discussion- professors don't so much lecture at us than lecture with us.

Beautiful. The buildings are all made out of this kind of rusty brick and vines crawl up the sides of every one of them. There are trees everywhere, and big thick bushes and clumps of flowers. It looks more like a nature reserve than a school, really. It's small, but because of all the foliage it seems a lot bigger once you've been walking around it for awhile. There are just so many different places to be for such little space!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Most memorable day on campus so far would definitely be the fireworks display we had last year after the Mr. Regis competition. It was just so cool to have everyone laid out on the soccer field, all huddled together after watching an awesome show, and be able to look up into the sky and see fireworks exploding everywhere. It was a wonderful night.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Regis University is a Jesuit college in downtown Denver, Colorado that's full of mostly nursing students, but is also home to a diverse set of majors and careers. It's really focused on service and in community building, which is easy because it's such a small campus. It's really a school of one big family learning together- it's hard not to know everybody while going to school here.

Its a tie between Ranger Week and the Snow Ball. Snow Ball is great because you get to have just a couple more years of going to a dinky little dance- its just like a high school homecoming, but with older kids. It's so much fun too- people take themselves a lot less seriously than high schoolers at homecoming do, and so it keeps all of the fun in the dance. And Ranger Week's just a hoot. A whole week of goofing off and having a blast- powderpuff football, eating contests, free shirts, and then Ranger Day? Last year we had a mechanical bull at Ranger Day and boy was that fun.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Federal Street and Lowell. The campus is surrounded by small businesses- there's Regis Pizza, Venice on the Blvd, a small little Barber shop, an Everyday and across the street theres a Dollar Store, Village Inn, Taco Bell, McCoys diner and a Pizza Hut. Honestly everything you would need for campus living is within walking distance. The school is also smack dab in the middle of a residential district, so there are a bunch of houses nearby. I would say a good third of those houses hold students- I myself am moving into a house less than an 8 minute walk from campus in June.

The beauty of it, and the location. Because its an arboretum, you're surrounded by trees all the time and it's just gorgeous. Especially in the winter, when all of the trees are covered with snow. It's like a personal escape. Which is interesting, considering its location on Federal- go outside the school and you're in the thick of a pretty low-income area. It's very eye-opening.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are pretty standard. For freshmen, I would recommend DeSmet if you don't really like all-white walls (DeSmet's walls are brick). The common rooms in DeSmet are also in the middle of each floor instead of at the opposite ends of the hall like in OConnall. Both dorms are pretty roudy though. They're really made for socialization, which is great during your first year here. I currently live in West Hall, which is a dorm for certain freshmen and upperclassmen. These dorms are suite style and that works well as a room, but the dorm itself really isn't social. People hardly every hang out in the common rooms unless they are doing homework so West is pretty quiet.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I actually decided to go to this school as soon as I saw the Chapel, but really it was mostly about the size of the school, the proximity to downtown and the Honors Program.

Thursday Thrills and Free Friday Night movie are definately big. We also have two 'spirit' kind of weeks- Ranger Week and Snow Week. Snow Week comes first and is more 'girl' oriented- it's got the 'Snow Queen' competition and the winter Snow Ball formal dance at the end of it (this year we got to have the dance at the Botanic Gardens, and it was amazing). Ranger Week is more 'guy' oriented. Last year the theme was Rodeo and they have the Mr. Regis competition and 'Ranger Day' where we literaly just have a day where the whole campus is turned into a kind of carnival/fair of fun right before finals.

It's a Jesuit school, so you'd probably guess that the only people here are middle-class white Catholic kids. But I've honestly met more atheists, Buddhists, and agnostics than I have Catholics on campus and we really get along pretty well. For such a small, private school you can't beat the amount of diversity we have. It is a bit of a 'classier' student kind of school. You don't see too many girls wearing sweats or guys with super sagged pants walking around. People, from all different backgrounds, tend to be more clean cut and professional.

Because of the small size of the school, the professors really get to know you. My advisor, Dr. Palmer, gets an e-mail every time I pretty much do anything. I write a bunch of new poems? He gets them. Then he picks which ones he likes and sends them to my other professors who talk to me about them in class and we get in huge discussions about what I can do with my writing. Everything is connected. The professors really work with you, and they are involved with so much on campus that you just know that they actually care about you succeeding. For the most part, they aren't just going to cart you through classes. For this reason a lot of the classes are hard, because they force you to actually think instead of just cough up notes, but they are the most beneficial in the long run.

If I could go back in time, advice to my high school self would be this: Be Yourself. In high school, students are fixated on their appearance. From the way they dress to the way they walk, talk, and eat, they are striving to be “perfect”. It has become a food chain- if you don't make a name for yourself, your chances at social success are shot: You get trampled on by those “higher up”. It has become that there's no such thing as self-expression or "being yourself" anymore; it's all smoke and mirrors to make yourself appear bigger and better than you actually are. If we all stopped agonizing over our looks and began to be honest about ourselves, insecurity would be a thing of the past. So much sweat and blood is put into our high school image that we forget who we are, and forget to appreciate the naturally beautiful aspects of a simple life. So, what would the exact words be to my high school self? As Judy Garland said, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."

I would go back and tell myself that college is a very different experience from anything that I have ever experienced before in my life. Several ways that I would tell myself to prepare for when coming to college are academics and the social aspect to college. One reason that I would mention academics to myself if I could go back in time is because I would want to tell myself that I had a good education in high school and that I should not have been as worried as I was before school started and so I should have just relaxed a bit more and not gotten so nervous about certain assignments. I would also tell myself about the social aspect because it is a very different experience living on campus and it is something that was very new to me going to a new school last August. One final thing that I would tell myself is that I will do fine and that it is not as scary as people make it out to be.

People who are committed to their studies and work hard in all of their classes. Also people who really like a small, close-knit community and and small campus would really like the school. Another group who would really like this school are people with strong religious affiliations because Regis is a Jesiut Catholic school and so has strong religious affilations, but don't be worried about the catholicism because they accept all different religions.

People who want to be a part of a party scene because Regis doesn't really have a big amount of people who like party a lot. Also people who do not really pay attention to school and their classes because Regis is a very academic school and so people who are not interested in school will not do well. Also Regis is a very small school and so people who are looking for a larger school will not like Regis.

Dulcina

I love Regis. I really like that it's a small campus, because we get to know more people, and the professors all know us individually. It's nice to go to a school where you can greet people every time you're walking to and from class. The only complaint I've really had while at Regis had more to do with the students than the school. I personally am not a big fan of the house party scene, and that's about all Regis students seem to do for fun on the weekends, so I wish that there were more students up for doing things other than that, but the school does provide activities every week, such as Thursday Thrills, that offer at least some fun other than parties all the time. There is a lot of school pride too, which I find impressive considering it's such a small, and relatively unknown school. Everyone who attends Regis really takes pride in the activities that go on, the sports, and the school itself.

Ranger Week is probably the best tradition Regis has. It's kind of like spirit week in high school, where each day there is some other activity planned. It's the week before the last week of classes before summer, so it's a good way to have fun before we all have to start studying for finals. They always have a hypnotist and the Mr. Regis pageant, and last year we had a fireworks show after Mr. Regis. The final event is Ranger Day, which is kind of like a carnival. There's always food, games, a beer garden, henna tattoos, a band, and last year we had rides as well. It's a really fun event that the school puts on.

What are your classes like?

For the most part I really like the classes at Regis. The classes are quite small, which I like, because the teacher gets to know the students. They are more of discussions than lectures most of the time, and even when the teachers do deliver a lecture they're usually more laid back than other lectures I have visited, or the lectures I am currently taking while studying abroad.

Describe the dorms.

The freshman dorms were very small, and DeSmet was much nicer than O'Connell in my opinion. They weren't the most ideal dorms, but the atmosphere was really nice and the school provides students with a fridge, microwave, and free internet and satellite, which I know is not the case at many schools. The upperclassmen dorms are very nice. I lived in Residence Village last year and it was great. The rooms were bigger, and you only had to share a bathroom with one other person. We also had our own kitchen as well as a washer and dryer in each individual house. It was by far one of the best dorms me or any of my friends at other schools had.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Regis mostly based on how much financial aid they gave me. When I narrowed down my choices I was between Regis and Seattle U, both of which gave me a pretty good scholarship. I went to visit both schools and ultimately settled on Regis because I like the feel of the campus much more. I always imagined myself going to a small school with a real campus, which is what I got at Regis, so I chose that one.

Regis academics are very good as far as I'm concerned. All the professors know your name and most are good about using multiple teaching methods. Most students study nearly every day, at least of the ones I know. I am in the Communications department, and while a lot of my friends think that's the easy way out at college, I think it's a fairly rigorous course load. We have papers every couple of weeks, daily homework, and most of the time attendance in class is necessary to get a good understanding of the topic. I personally have not spent a lot of time with professors outside of class, but I know lots of students do. We have one COM professor who hosts weekly poker nights for his students who are over 21. Even if you don't see the professors out of class, there is still a friend-like relationship with them, at least in the COM department. We all are on first-name basis with the professors which, while it was weird at first, I've grown to appreciate. It's not an extremely competitive school, but everyone participates in class and most seem to really pride getting good grades.

I would say the stereotype is that everyone on campus is Catholic and a nursing student. While these are both very common among students, I wouldn't say that it is an accurate portrayal of our school. Personally, I am neither Catholic, or a nursing student, and most of my friends are not nursing students either. We're all majoring in many different things from Communications, to English, to Art, and Education. A lot of students classify themselves as Catholic, but most are not really practicing, so I would discount that stereotype as well.

Morgan

The stereotype of students at Regis University is that we are studious and focused. I would have to say that this stereotype is true for the most part. People also might think that because it is a Jesuit university that religion is forced upon the students, and this is not true.

Maria

The best thing about Regis is its class sizes. On average most state schools have 500 students in their classes but here at Regis we get one on one interaction with the professor with the class sizes being 60 or below. The teachers know your name and are willing to help at any time.

The students at Regis at great. Everyone is friendly and always willing to help. There are always smiles on their faces and they are very polite opening the door for you. Students here love the Rocky Mountains and enjoy weekends of skiing and snowboarding as well as enjoying the great sports that Denver has to offer.

The most popular activities at Regis are the intramural sports. The athletic events are extremely popular here at Regis especially: volleyball, soccer, and basketball. Regis is located just 10 minutes from downtown Denver where there is a lot to do such as going to professional sporting events, great food, or just walking around and looking at the skyline.

The academics at Regis are great. Teachers know your name and are always accessible. There is emphasis on group work and having study groups as well as a great library that meets all the study of needs of most individuals. Regis is a liberal arts school which focuses on making well-rounded individuals which is done through the core requirements.

A stereotype of Regis students is that we are all rich students. This is not an accurate stereotype seeing as all students receive some sort of scholarship from Regis.

Donald

Personally. I like Regis University very much because it has a great environment for learning. Large class sizes are something that rarely occur at Regis. Many people complain about the size being to small, but I think it is great for the person who wants an education that is hands on. When I tell people that I attend Regis, they understand that it is a great school with a student body of strong integrity.

At Regis, almost all of your professors will know your name after the first week of classes. Participation is greatly encouraged here and because of this new doors are opened to different types of learning. At Regis, every full time professor is required to offer at least 5 office hours a week. Education at Regis is focused on bettering the whole person. While my major may be accounting, there are many classes taken outside of this subject area that help me be a more well-rounded student and human.

Often the stereotype associated with Regis University is that it is an overpriced Jesuit school. While tuition may be fairly steep, the scholarship opportunities that are offered by Regis help to even this out.

Alberto

I love the fact that regis is a smaller school. You make lasting friends quickly, build relationships with your professors, and it just feels more community driven which gives students a sense of belonging.

Regis University doesn't really have a stereotype. We are a small, yet diverse, campus.

Cassandra

Regis University has a community that does not adhere much to stereotype-based cliques. There are groups that find themselves particularly tight-knit (such as the Honors students, various sports teams, and other extracurricular groups) but members of these groups tend to branch out as well and have many friends with many other interests. From an outsider standpoint, Regis students are typically seen as very smart and very dedicated to social justice and change in the world. This is true - but contrary to popular belief, Regis is home to a diverse student body in terms of both religion and politics. Any stereotypes that do exist within campus boundaries are more along the lines of a student's major but there is little negative effect of these stereotypes.

Caitlin

My words of wisdom to my eighteen year old self probably sound somewhat different than anyone else’s. My junior year of high school my dad lost his job of seventeen years in the economic downfall; this was a hard hit to my family. I have had a part-time job since I was sixteen, so though I was already working, I decided to get another job. I wanted to help my family any way I could. For months during my senior year I worked two, and at one point three, jobs. Saturdays for me started with a shift at 7 A.M. and three sifts later I would get home around 2 A.M. Though most twenty-somethings may look back and tell themselves “be more responsible,” I would simply tell myself: “Live a little while you have the chance.” College is full of responsibilities. Classes are harder and more time consuming; there is not much time to have fun. I am proud of the responsible adult I am, I just wish I would not have been in such a hurry to get here. My dad always said: “You have the rest of your life to be an adult.”

Regis University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.