Regis University Top Questions

Drew

If I could go back and give advice to my high school senior self, what would I say? This might be one of the most difficult questions I've ever been asked. One of the first things I would have told myself was to lose that guy you've been on and off with and spend all your time with your friends! Once you're in college there are so many opportunities to meet the person you're supposed to be with for the rest of your life. Enjoy the time you have with your friends while you can. Making friends in college is a whole different ball game and you will never make the same connections you had with your high school friends. Sounds scary, but it's a fact. One other huge piece of advice I would give to myself is to fill out scholarship applications over and over again until your fingers can't type anymore. COLLEGE IS EXPENSIVE. I didn't realize that until the majority of scholarship deadlines had passed. Never be afraid of failure. The worst that could happen is you get a no. Then you get up and move on with your life.

Making the transition into college for many is seen as a sign of freedom, a marker of independence, but its not an automatic opportunity to succeed. You have been very fortunate to have been supported by your family up to this point, but realize this security blanket is going to be removed. This is now your true opportunity to shine, not for them, for you. Now is the time for you to become yourself; independent of them. This is now your time to "practice" adulthood while still in a "safe zone." This is the time to meet new people, not the ones you have known since first grade. This is the time to have fun with new experiences, but not a free pass to "party it up" and waste this time. This is the time to cultivate and explore your "self." Dive into your studies; inquire of yourself about what you believe and why. Make goals for yourself, your future and your education; pursue them and remind yourself of them. Ask "Is this taking me closer to or father away from them?" You will find your answer clearly each time. Don't forget to stop and take time to breathe .

Uriah

If I could go back in time I would tell my senior self that great adversity is coming my way and that no matter what you will try anf keep trying until you acheive the goals that you want. I would tell my senior self that although I had never faced school adversity until I reached university that I would become an even better student then I thought I could ever be. I would let my senior self know that I had forsure picked the right University and that I would really enjoy my college years, I would also tell my senior self that at times it won't feel like it but medical school is the right choice for me and even though I will face a lot of things that tried to push me off my road to sucess that I will be the best doctor that I can be because of this. I would prepare myslef for the great transition that coming to me as a sudent but also as a person, college had made me a better person in a sense of understanding and meeting different people that want different things and just loving my life.

If I were to go back in time would tell myself a couple of major things. The first advice I would give myself would be to decide a career path earlier on in high school so I could be better prepared for classes. Being a pre-pt/ health and exercise science major I wish I would have taken classes like sports medicine and anatomy to make my college class load a bit easier. Another piece of advice I would give myself would be to take more AP and dual credit classes. This would have given me more time to take electives as well as allow me to finish my major faster while avoiding summer school. One final piece of advice I would give myself would be to do more scholarship searching and try to raise a little bit of money before going to college. Had I been able to apply for more Scholarships College would be a lot less stressful and easier to pay for. Also if I had been able to work during the summers of high school I would have had more work experience as well as more saved up money to spend on tuition and supplies.

Mia

It is amazing what you learn throughout your life experiences. If I could go back to high school, I would have made it a point to attend college immediately following graduation from high school. I would have also been more aware of how much financial aid I was borrowing and would try to apply for grants and scholarships to assist with the cost of college. I believe I would have also tried harder to get a better GPA in high school and hope for a scholarship or award while in school. I have also learned how important volunteer work is and would have made an effort to do volunteer work within my community.

The best piece of advice I could have offered to myself would be, Grow Up. When I went to college after graduating from high school in 1997, I acted like I had never been out of the house before. I regularly skipped classes, and ultimately failed my first semester. I wasn't ready for the freedoms that came with living in the dorms. Going back to school, 17 years after my intial attempt, has proven to me that I can do it, if I dedicate myself to studying. By focusing on studying, and not partying, will make a big difference in what you get out of your education. In the end, all I have to show for my first semester of college is a bill. So, dedicate yourself to studying, stay away from the parties, and grow up.

My advise to myself would be that I need to learn very quickly how to study, be effective and be engaged in the classroom for the future. For me, highschool was a breeze and I rarley ever studied. Now I have learned that you're not just taking tests in college to get a grade, your taking tests to make sure you are ready for the next level. Regis University kicked me in the butt my freshman year becuase I didn't know how to study, and I wasn't as hard working as I was my sophmore year which is reflected in my GPA. I would tell myself that there is a lot to do here and have so much fun, but I need to take time to not just study, but also really understand the course material at a deeper level. This is a necessary ballance that I believe I could only have learned at Regis University, and if I had any idea on how easy it is to get distracted and how important my studies are going to be in college, I would have done much better my first year here.

When you discover what is truly important to yourself, many people will try to persuade you to pursue a school or major that is cheaper or that will make you more money- stand strong. Recognize their advice and concern, but do not be swayed merely by the issue of money. You will find a way to make things work. Thinking of the future is important, but try not to get too caught up in figuring everything out or reaching the bottom line. Sometimes the most valuable knowledge is not found in the final grade, but in the often tedious and meticulous work it takes to get there. Applying for seven different colleges is not nearly as important on getting more scholarships. Focus on Colorado, it is beautiful and you’ll love it. Moving away may seem amazing and scary and exciting to the point of incomprehensible emotion, but it won’t be as terrifying as you imagine. Over the next few years and for the rest of your life, friends will come and go but the memories will remain present. And finally, read more. The amount of wisdom and understanding that you can receive from books is invaluable.

Gina

You have so much going for you! Do not worry about what other people are saying to you and follow your heart, only you know what is right for you. Take time out of every day and nourish yourself and your being. Be gentle with yourself and know that everything is okay. Give yourself the gift of detaching from needing to have things work out a specific way, just allow and live life! Let it flow. I know that you are extremely driven and you take school incredibly seriously, do not fret, your hard work will always pay off. The pay off may just be in a different area than you originally thought. Spend time nourishing you and truly sitting and being authentic to who you are, not to who you think others want you to be. This is your life, you have the ability to create it exactly how you want. I love you.

Work and discipline only seem hard at the time. When you've achieved your goals, you'll actually be happy about the time and energy you've spent. Remember that the only way to achieve success is to jump into something head first. Immersion is the key. If you aren't willing to put all your life into something, then you're motivation isn't in the right place. No one will do this for you, so don't let others pull you into bad habits, bad thoughts. Stay focused.

I think I would write myself a letter... Dear Highschool Me, I know you think you are ready and that you feel like no matter what happens, you'll do fine. Now, I'm not saying that isn't true, because it is true, but you should still be cautious. You see, life tends to take things as a challenge; you say you're ready and excited for college and it throws countless challenges and obsticles in your path. So, that being said here is my advice... Always speak up. I know it's really hard, but you need to at least get yourself out there a little bit. Don't miss class. It's not like highschool where your parents get called, but if you miss one class you realize it's not a big deal and then you miss six classes and that, that's a big deal. Also, trust yourself and be confident in it. It's incredibly hard to figure everything out if you aren't confident in yourself, first. Lastly, if things start to go wrong, don't be afraid to ask for help, ever. And don't forget, I'm always here for you.

I would tell myself to study harder, and continue with the foreign language. A third year would really help and give me some college credit. Getting a good study routine would be smart so that when you get to college, you aren't so pressured and stressed. Learn to spend your time wisely and productively. Be sure to ask for help always, when you get to college, you will not have the luxury of having teachers who actually care that much. Your friends will come and go, but they are not going to help you get the education and degree you need; so focus on school, then you can have a social life. Self discipline is important, learn to monitor yourself and know what's right or wrong. Mom and Dad will not, and should not have to tell you everything anymore. Really research colleges to see which one suits you best, and do not pick them, based on who will be there, but on what makes you happy. College is as hard or as easy as you make it. You can take the easy way and take relaxed classes, or you can challenge yourself and progress faster. Challenge yourself!

Vivianne

I have plenty of advice I would give myself as a high school senior. All throughout high school I took advanced classes but the information always seemed to stick, so I rarely had to study. Once I was in college though this was an entirely different story, so I would say that you should really take your reading seriously. If you do not read the assigned chapters then you will fall behind. Another thing to really take into account is the syllabus that teachers give you at the beginning of the semester. They follow their schedule religiously and it is a great way to map out your semester so you know what to expect later. Another thing I would tell myself as I go into college, is to not be afraid to ask for help from teachers. While in high school I never felt the need to ask for help; I would just figure it out myself. Trying to figure things out on your own is much harder as the information becomes more complex in college, so don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help from professors; that's what they're there for.

If I were able to go back I would tell myself to try my best in the last year of high school, be as involved in as many extracurricular activities as you can. You will miss highschool. Once you get to Regis, be as nice and friendly to everyone you meet. Friends are a vertue and will help out a lot when you are feeling homesick and need someone to talk to. Get involved at Regis, this not only keeps your mind off of being far from home, but it also enables you to meet more friends. Lastly, take advantage of all the tutoring sessions and centers that are their to help you. When you have a question or don't understand something, ask. Take your school work seriously and try your best. As long as you do these things, you'll go as fa as you can. Oh and also enjoy yourself, don't stress everything will work out in the end.

Trudy

Education is an opportunity, a blessing, and the gift you will give to your life, family, career and the world. Do not stop at the minimum or take the easy way out when the going becomes difficult. Just getting by will never be enough for you. Growth is an essential and sometimes painful process to become better spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically. The benefit you will provide comes in reaching your full potential and then teaching others how to reach their potential. Many will come to you seeking answers to life problems. Study harder than required to complete your degree. Fill your mind with the best answers you will find. Prepare to share your knowledge with a world hungering for truth. Do not be afraid to share yourself, your ideas, and your failures with those you will encounter. It is in your failures that many will find the way to avoid the pitfalls of life. Lift up your eyes and mind beyond your own petty imaginings and ego. Pursue opportunities to love others through service as it will bring you greater joy than all the accolades you dream of achieving. Your motto becomes: Touching each life, one at a time.

Shauna

The best advice I could give myself if I were once again a high school senior would be to focus more on job shadowing prior to entering college. As a teenager, it is very difficult to determine a career or professional discipline if you have never been exposed to anything but a minimum wage paying job. Sometimes, an entry level position can indeed lead one to have a greater understanding about their career objective, even if it is to gain an awareness of what one does not wish to do for the remainder of their working years. However, it would be advantageous if high school students would either complete a co-op program offered through their educational institution or else be ambitious enough to seek an internship in a specific working environment they believe would be rewarding. Were high schoolers able to apply the above advice, they may be able to prevent wasted expenditures on an educational degree that they thought they would find stimulating, only to realize that the career field of their choice was not at all what they imagined it to be upon graduation and subsequent entrance into the workforce.

Jeannine

As I go back in time I would meet myself at starbucks and have a talk about what I want for myself after high school. As a student who was focused and had a dream to go to college to become a pediatric doctor, I would make sure that I had an alternative plan. I would tell myself that in college there are going to be people who are not as support as your family, but you can’t let them get to you. No matter how much they discourage you, believe in yourself, look into what makes you happy and you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. The transition into college isn't hard, but choose a school that supports your religious beliefs and doesn’t force your to conform to things you don’t believe in. Stay focused and no longer how long it takes choose the school that your heart chooses not what others have chosen for you. People in college come and go, but those that helped you to get to where you are now and are still with you, keep them close and don’t let go. Save and spend wisely.

Enjoy high school while you can. It goes by quick, and even though you can't wait to get out of high school, you'll miss it. College is so much harder than you expect. You're going to be stressed, tired, and exhausted, but it will all be worth it soon enough! Be nice to mom and dad, because they are now in debt up to their eye balls! All for you! Don't be nervous about moving into the dorms and being so far away from your family. You'll make plenty of new friends and you can call your family every day! College is so scary and so exciting all at the same time! Don't take any of this time for granted and don't wish it away. This is a magical experience and you are so lucky to get to have it!

If I could go back in time, advice to my high school self would be this: Be Yourself. In high school, students are fixated on their appearance. From the way they dress to the way they walk, talk, and eat, they are striving to be “perfect”. It has become a food chain- if you don't make a name for yourself, your chances at social success are shot: You get trampled on by those “higher up”. It has become that there's no such thing as self-expression or "being yourself" anymore; it's all smoke and mirrors to make yourself appear bigger and better than you actually are. If we all stopped agonizing over our looks and began to be honest about ourselves, insecurity would be a thing of the past. So much sweat and blood is put into our high school image that we forget who we are, and forget to appreciate the naturally beautiful aspects of a simple life. So, what would the exact words be to my high school self? As Judy Garland said, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."

I would go back and tell myself that college is a very different experience from anything that I have ever experienced before in my life. Several ways that I would tell myself to prepare for when coming to college are academics and the social aspect to college. One reason that I would mention academics to myself if I could go back in time is because I would want to tell myself that I had a good education in high school and that I should not have been as worried as I was before school started and so I should have just relaxed a bit more and not gotten so nervous about certain assignments. I would also tell myself about the social aspect because it is a very different experience living on campus and it is something that was very new to me going to a new school last August. One final thing that I would tell myself is that I will do fine and that it is not as scary as people make it out to be.

My words of wisdom to my eighteen year old self probably sound somewhat different than anyone else’s. My junior year of high school my dad lost his job of seventeen years in the economic downfall; this was a hard hit to my family. I have had a part-time job since I was sixteen, so though I was already working, I decided to get another job. I wanted to help my family any way I could. For months during my senior year I worked two, and at one point three, jobs. Saturdays for me started with a shift at 7 A.M. and three sifts later I would get home around 2 A.M. Though most twenty-somethings may look back and tell themselves “be more responsible,” I would simply tell myself: “Live a little while you have the chance.” College is full of responsibilities. Classes are harder and more time consuming; there is not much time to have fun. I am proud of the responsible adult I am, I just wish I would not have been in such a hurry to get here. My dad always said: “You have the rest of your life to be an adult.”

Mallory

The advice I would give myself If I were able to talk to my high school self would be to loosen up, have fun, and achieving top tier grades aren’t all that important. Sure that’s what the teachers tell you but the true gift of knowledge is what you do with it and the joys you get out of it. If all one ever cared about was grades then they would find no joy in life because they would be so obsessed with getting the grades that they forget everything else. One thing I would also tell myself would be to focus more on the qualities of a career that are of interest to me. Currently in College, I spent so much time figuring it out that when I finally found it, it was almost a last minute change and I am soon to be graduating so I missed out on all the opportunities that I could have had. The third and final thing I would tell myself would be to not be limited by one’s fears-another aspect about college is to experience things. Don’t be limited by what you are comfortable with: have fun!

Mary, for goodness sake do NOT listen to those people when they tell you negative things about you. You ARE smart and you CAN be a college student, and you CAN live the life you had always wanted for yourself WITHOUT feeling guilty about it. Go to college as soon as you can, get in and keep your nose to the grindstone. You always wanted to be a CPA, now is the time to do something about that. You can do this because you ARE smart enough and you ARE strong enough. Those people just tell you those things because they see that and they don't see it in themselves and therefore want you to feel as bad about yourself as they do with themselves. Get away from those people, they don't know what they are talking about, nor will they ever stick around long enough to see the brilliant person inside you flourish into the great loving and productive community member you are. Just go and grow kid! Your mom will be so proud! And so will you.

Half pig, half girl Almost woman, shaped like sausage curl Mistaken thoughts majority rule Feels like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Too sluggish for the girls on cheer Boys think I am queer Cheerleading, basketball, track Muscles I lack Want to try out But full out doubt Ditch class to get away To video games I play Stay up late Slit wrists because of self-hate Listen to music “Never cared for what they do Never cared for what they know And nothing else matters” Lyrics give me solace No longer want to be a carcass Times goes on Play guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughn Go to college Gather lots of knowledge Take yearbooks off of shelf See sad images of former self Wonder why, why why No adults saw me cry? Pain was buried deep inside My youth died Advise to former self Read Marriane Williamson “who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who am I not to be? Resolve to love life, and love myself Forge friendships with positive kids Let my light shine Work hard and dream big

roxana

I would tell myself quite a few things acutally. The first being that I needed to work harder to get what I wanted out of life. That my focus should be on getting better grades and applying myself to my full potential. I needed to apply for scholarships, grants, etc instead of leaving it to the wayside. I would tell myself that my number one priority should be my education and preparing to excel in every aspect of my education. I would also make sure that I was prepared for the transition from high school and living with my parents to going to college and being an independant person.

My college experience has been valuable in both my personal and professional development. The knowledge and experience gained while continuing my education has helped me grow to be a better citizen, employee, and parent. Returning to school as an older student was beneficial as I appreciated the opportunity more than I had as a teenager. Regis University was an integral part of gaining confidence as a non-traditional student and in my desire to continue on to graduate school to obtain my MBA.

The day I arrived at Annunciation Elementary School, I knew my experience would be special. This particular semester opened my eyes and changed my life forever. When I arrived at this inner city school in Denver I was immediately greeted by cheerful Kindergartners with so much love to give. These bright, vibrant children were eager to learn. I soon realized their life at home was a struggle. Many of these precious children would go without food from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. Every so often a child would come to school exhausted after being awake all night from gun shots outside their home. This experience Regis University provided altered my life forever. After witnessing the love these students have to give even with the hardships they endure on a daily basis has inspired me to give back to those less fortunate. The Regis University motto is "Men and Women in Service of Others." This ideal is emphasized in just about every class taken at Regis. The professors emphasize giving to those less fortunate by providing and often times requiring community service. The community service aspect Regis promotes and encourages of its students has made it a valuable institution to attend.

Yesenia

What I have gotton out of my college experience is that if you do not try your best you will not succeed. I tried to put my homework aside for a little while and when I least expected it in was finals week. I stayed up all night and only slept for four hours trying to finish , and I did I was proud of myself. It has been valuable to attend college because it has taught me not to give up and that it is never to late to get an education. College is not like highschool where the teachers can forgive a letter grade and still pass you. College is much more helpful because they won't pass you unless you know the subject. I like that because it gives me a challenge as well as a brain to work with. I love learning because it makes me feel smart when I teach someone else what I learned. I get excited when I teach someone else my knowledge that they did not know.

Oludare

Being a student of information Technology Major (master) at Regis College for professional studies, I have learnt from various industries experts and managers who severally share their huge experience and solutions to problems facing IT managers in the industries. I have gained from case studies use in the class, research papers and APA styles of writing professional papers. Diversity and career programs at regis have helped me valued and learnt about different cultures. I can now contribute to the vitality and richness of our community. Intramural sports at regis is one good thing I cherish. I have been physically and mentally stable throughtout, and I can critical think towards solving problems around me. My leadership skill has been built on solid foundation and I value the way I can now provide my services to the needy and community.

christina

What I've gotten out of my college experience is a sense of accomplishment and responsibility. I've grown as a person and found out where i belong in the world. Its been valuable for me to go to college because when I first graduated from high school I was sure that I knew who and what I wanted to be for the rest of my life. But after attending one semester at college I questioned if that was who I wanted to be, so I took some time off to go into the work force. After working for four years in a school cafeteria and my local ymca as a school age childcare aide, I finally realized my potential and that I deserved to better myself. Since I made that decision I reapplied to delaware county community college to work on my degree in elementary education and to finally realize my full potential. College has shown me that you don't have to "settle" for what life gives you, but that with hard work you will be able to find out who and what you want to be for the rest of your life. College gives me that security.

Reuben

My entire paradigm of the value of education in my life has changed because of my first 18 months in college. Some professors have been able to initiate my interest in areas such as Freirean Pedagogy that I would have never explored had it not been for my contact with these professsors. Other professors have helped me realize that I can accomplish my hopes and dreams for life. My English professor is showing me outside of the classroom where my writing abilities are, and is reassuring me that I can one day soon accomplish my childhood dream of being a published author. My Spanish professor has illuminated me to the fact that simply my interest in foreign-language acquisition and etymological linguistics qualifies me for my dream of studying near-extinct or long-dead languages. Most importantly, I have discovered how to research things that interest me, whether or not that knowledge relates to my classes and will help me get a good grade. My college experience has shown me that even though the world can be a scary place, I am acquiring the tools necessary to navegate this Odyssey successfully, and to live a happy and successful life.

Sabrina

I am learning alot, not just about the academics that my courses address, but also about myself. I feel like this is the perfect atmosphere in which to grow up, and at the same time feel safe. College is very different than high school, some people fail because they are still looking for the hand-holding that one gets in high school. At Regis, they don't just throw you our there, they explain why it's time to push away from the coddling and grow up, and they help you to do that.

Heath

Having grown up in a town of roughly 8,000 people and 2 hours from anything the world often seemed small. Peoples' lives revolved around that town and making a living. They focused on their families, friends, and retirement. Many of my classmates concentrated on sports and graduating with that golden 4.0. All of these things are respectable goals, but attending a college in a city of 2.5 million people changes the way the world looks and feels. The thousands of faces seen every day rushing from point A to point B and back again made me realize how large this world truly is. It threw in my face the fact that most of my accomplishments to date were insignificant in the scope of life. This revealation coupled with a college built around morals and helping the world altered my perspective on what it means to truly live and be happy during this crazy thing we call life. My college experienced changed me for the better. It showed me that I share this world with 7 billion other people and a life well lived comes from works of service, because when you change the world you change yourself.

Diana

Regis University has prepared me for the graduate level educational experience and the career path that I have chosen, that of a nursing educator. The Jesuit values and emphasis on service learning have deepened my understanding and appreciation of the abilities I have, and "How I ought to live" in service to my family, community and country.

College was a lot different than what I thougt it was going to be. I have learned a lot of valuable knowledge like being on time and what it will be like in the working world. I've been at community college trying to save money up so I can go to a University. I've gotten a lot of core classes out of the way which I'm happy about. I'm doing everything I can to go to college with minimal amout of debt when I get out. Even if I do live under a mountian of debt in the end it will be well worth getting an education and knowledge for a better future.

Ryndi

5. Ability to Adapt: two weeks in and I was already able to ignore (or at least repress a scream at the sight of) the giant hairball in the corner of the shower. 4. Independence: No curfew, but no safety net either. 3. Knowledge: A given? Maybe. But it is still undeniably significant. 2. Financial Responsibility: No more pocket money. More like "stay in my pocket money". 1. Gratitude: Count my blessings? I never realized my fingers and toes were not sufficient.

Dalinda

The first advice I would give myself would be go to school right away! Waiting until you are older just makes the whole process harder and you miss out on the exciting college experience. Also by going to college right out of high school you have less commitment on your time and money. Going through college should be an experience that helps you make better choices for your life in the long term. I would also tell myself to check out as many colleges as possible and find the one that is the best fit for you. Every university has it's own personality and taking the time to explore that is worth the investment and gives you a better chance at success.

Josie

Like Tolstoy simply stated, " If you want to be happy, be." No one is going to hand you happiness on a silver platter. It is up to you to hike up the mountain of success. Let me tell you, it is a long journey full of frustration, confusion, and self doubt. As a high school senior, I was constantly reassured that college would just work itself out. Teacher after teacher, counselor after counselor, I did not realize the implications of "graduation" until I actually graduated. I would like to say that college is part of the "real world," but it just isn't simply because people in the "real world" actually get paid. College students have deadlines, headaches, cram sessions, anxiety attacks, and all nighters while they rack thousands of dollars of debt through loans. With all that being said, I can not think of an experience in the world that offers people such ability to fully reach their potentials. College is like all the gear that makes climbing the mountain of success attainable. So to you, high school senior, look forward to the future and choose happines.

If I could provide some insight to myself as a Senior it would focus upon the need for time management. I thought I was busy in High School balancing academics, sports, homework, work, and community service, but college life is far busier. A college student needs to be far more cautious with time management. One big factor: more opportunities for social without a parent reminding you of different time lines. I would advise myself to schedule study time that is not allowed to be interrupted. These interruptions can build and suddenly it is test time! Good Luck! P.S. Don't forget to schedule eating!

Annette

If the opportunity arose to go back in time to give myself advice as a high school senior, armed with the knowledge and experience I have today, there are a few things I would advise: 1. Organization is extremely important! Regardless of the task, the class, or even the assignment, maintaining an organized system will help facilitate learning by making finding documents easier, notes will be located faster, and you will always know what lies ahead. 2. Apply for scholarships. Everyone wants to believe that they are super-heroes, that they can do it all on their own. I/you can't. Applying for scholarships will help relieve your stress because you won't have to worry about working to cover bills while in school. Applying for scholarships would also facilitate your learning because you will have more time to spend studying. 3. Just get it done. Whatever arises- get it done! Homework- get it done! Studying- get it done! Rest- very importantly get it done! Exercise- get it done! You will have opportunities to go to school, but why waste time and money? Following these three somewhat easy pieces of advice will make it easier. Just get it done!

Reuben

I would tell myself to be sure to attend a class at every college I was even remotely considering. It is a good idea not only to visit every campus possible while looking at schools, but to also attend classes at each one to see what they are like. Maybe a large lecture hall class of 300 students is okay with you if want the large school party scene, but maybe you can handle a calm campus for the sake of getting to know your professors personally. Furthermore, do not base your decision just on the class visited at one college: visit MANY colleges, and look into all of the information you can find on the department that offers the major of your choice. For example, as a senior I was looking at how Spanish classes were taught. I would tell myself to also look at how well developed the entire Foreign Language department was, and how many professors were around to provide assistance and look at other languages. I would tell myself to go on as many over-night stays at as many colleges as possible, in order to get a feel for the social aspects of the school.

Throughout my senior year of High School, I continuously worried about choosing a career, constantly debating between being a nurse or a doctor. I figured that this would help me decide which college would be best for me. Therefore, I finally decided to attend Regis University because of its outstanding nursing program. However, after taking one semester of classes specifically for nursing students, I decided to change my major to Biology and try to get into medical school. I have come to realize, therefore, that is very difficult to decide on a career at age 18. Consequently, if I could jump on a time machine and travel back to my senior year of High School, I would tell myself not to overly stress out about a career decision. It takes a lot of time to start figuring out the best path to take in life. This gradual process of self-discovery has encompassed one of the best parts of my college experience so far. Like every college student, I have started to discover who I really am and what I want to do with the rest of my life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would definitely straighten myself up. I was a great student in high school, but I never took into account the fact that my high school didn't have great curriculums to challenge the students. Therefore, I falsely believed that I was a top student in the entire state of Colorado. When I got to college, I came back down to earth. I was extremely behind the other students who went to much better high schools, and suddenly my 3.8 GPA in high school meant nothing. It was a disappointing discovery, but it challenged me to surpass my standards to regain the status of being a great student. I would let my high school self know all of this and tell him to go above and beyond what the teachers were requiring. If that meant extra studying and reading each night, I should do that. I would also encourage my high school self to take a proactive approach in researching each field of study in college, because having a general idea of what you want helps greatly.

Preparing to go to college is a stressful, exciting time for all students. With graduation and collegiate freedom looming in your immediate future it is sometimes hard to concentrate on the important details in preparing for ultimate success in college. I wish I had prepared better for college by saving more money and applying for more scholarships. Writing scholarship essays is a dreaded mundane activity for all high school seniors but I cannot stress the importance of applying to these scholarships enough. Too many of my friends in college have taken high interest loans that will hinder their saving abilities after college. It is too easy to get stressed about the humongous amounts of money college entails and remain paralyzed by this stress, I encourage all seniors to face this stress head on devout this energy instead on researching scholarships. Socially, transitioning to college is very frightening. I would tell all seniors not to worry about making friends or fitting in; even if you struggled to make friends in high school college offers a fresh start to all. Not to sound clich?, but seniors, remember you can do this, give it your best and you will succeed!

If I was able to go back to when I was a high school senior I would share with myself two main things. The first, I would tell myself to study hard. When I started college I put enough effort into my classes to get B's and a couple A's. However there were some C's in my early college courses. To see how the C grades effected my overall GPA was devastating. I then worked very hard to improve my overall GPA to at least a B average with my last few semsters at the community college I attended. Now at Regis University, I put all the effort into my school work that I can. I now can proudly say that I have an A average a Regis. another important piece of information I would tell myself would be to stick with it. If I had not taken any breaks over summers or any semesters off I would be finished with school by now. Most of my friends have now graduated. But, I know that I still have a bright future infront of me and I will do everything I can to make the best of it.

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was sixteen and a senior in high school, I would tell myself to go to college right after graduation. While I do not regret waiting so long to go to college, I am sorry that it is taking me so long to complete my degree. It much more difficult to work full time, be a single parent, and attend college than it would have been to start college at seventeen! It is never too late to get a higher education, but all things being equal, it would have been easier if I did not have such a large amount of adult responsibilities that I need to fulfill while taking classes. Homework is a whole different ball game when you have a young child! The great thing is that I can still reap the benefits of a college education whether at 41 or 17. A college degree is the best way to get ahead in my career and make a better life for my family.

Looking back now on my senior year I would have to say that one of my biggest regrets was not looking for scholarships more vigorously. I feel that I relied too much on the schools I was applying to to help me. Fortunately, the school I am at now did help me a great deal with financial aid; however, since it is a private school, the overall expense is still enough that I am taking out more in loans than I had hoped. Often times as a college student most of what makes the experience is the extra curricular activities that supplement the classroom learning, yet these are often times a financial burden when added to tuition and books. I feel if I would have planned more financially and tried harder to get outside scholarships my senior year, extra curricular activties I am participating in now, such as my internship in Washington D.C., would be much less burdensome to my family and myself. I don't have many regrets from senior year since I am happily at my first choice school, but if I could go back in time I would advise myself to be more prepared financially.

Your first semester you may find that you are entering a whole new world where you are learning to make your own decisions and they may not always be the best choices, but they are yours. People change so much during their initial couple of years as adults, your friends may change, your views on life may change and there may be times when you feel like everything around you is crumbling, but hang in there, all of these changes will make you stronger and more self sufficient. During this time it is important to enjoy yourself, believe in the incredible person you are and never stop learning from those around you, but above all don?t loose your focus. Your future is a blank slate at this moment; you have the opportunity to become anyone you want, so dream big.

Jody

Disicipline yourself academically.

Candy

Get college over with right after high school - don't wait. Do not procrastinate in getting your assignments done.