Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

kaprice

It is hard to determine how well you are doing in class. You can be failing every exam and still pass because everyone else in your class is failing every exam too.

Delroy

They are truly a group of complete individuals who work together to make this college experience really awesome.

I would tell myself to get off my high horse. After I left high school and came to college I really did think that I was the man. I rarely studied and learned most material on my own outside of classes. I decided that I would not fix what I thought was not broken. I was gravely incorrect. My 1.54 for my first college semester proves that. I would tell myself what everyone was telling me but I took for granted - College is not high school. I would inform me of the mistakes I made and also provide myself with ways in which to avoid or fix those mistakes. I have already emplyed some of the things I would tell my high school senior self and they have paid off exponentially. I would tell myself to grow up. I needed to then and I wish someone had told me. I could have saved myself from the brick wall that I hit in my first semester in college.

The worst thing about RPI is that it is in Troy, NY. I love the school and everything that is going on here but I dread the cold weather that usually starts in November and can go all the way through March. Being that I grew up on a tropical island the cold weather and I are not the best of friends. If RPI were in a much warmer region I would have absolutely no problem with the school. It really is good here.

Eric

Very very expensive, not too many girls, a huge workload.

Very very expensive, not too many girls, a huge workload.

The amount we're learning is ridiculous. The school is well known for being a top engineering school, and hopefully this means that I'll get a great job.

There are a lot of things that people put importance on that really don't matter. You have no idea what its going to be like so don't try to put yourself in a "college person's" shoes. It doesn't matter what kind of furniture you get. You don't know if you should bring extra bean bags or whatever for friends, because you've never been there, and have no idea how you're going to interact with everyone. Concentrate on staying comfortable and making sure you're ok with everything about to happen. Never forget why you're there, and for the rest of senior year, become more independent. Make your own schedule, decide things for yourself. Get ready to meet new people and just do what makes you happy. And yes, college is as fun as everyone says it is.

Kerri

Given the opportunity to talk to myself as senior in high school, I would tell myself to "keep doing what you're doing because you're going to turn out just fine". In high school, I was a 3 sport athlete, an honor student, and a student council executive board member. Juggling sports and academics was what I did. Coming to RPI, I was already prepared for the lifestyle of being a 2 sport student -athlete. I had already experienced the social scences that you would find on a college campus, so that was not a distraction to my studies or my performance on the field. Friends were easy to make coming in Freshmen year. My teammates became not only my best friends, but friends for life. Sure, the workload as a biomedical engineer was more challenging than high school classes, but I would not be where I am today had it not been for the support of my family, friends, teachers, and coaches in high school. They gave me the tools I needed to transition into the college life and make it through successfully and I would not change the way things turned out for anything.

A strong-minded person who is focused on academics but knows how to still have fun socially.

I am 100% happy with the knowledge I came to this school with. I learned for myself the "ins and the outs" about campus life, living off-campus, about academics, and social aspects of this school and I became the person I am today because of it.

Michelle

People who expect that college is a breeze and requires little to no work.

People who expect that college is a breeze and requires little to no work.

The determination and drive of the students to acheive no matter what the odds or cicumstances are.

I would tell myself as a high scool senior not to waste so much time analyzing and agonizing over deicsions, because life should be spent living and not thinking about living. I would also tell myself not to hide so much of my personality when meeting people because in the words of the Bernard Baruch, the people that matter don't mind and the people that do mind, don't matter. There are many little lessons I have learned and they are as follows: go to class on time and sit in the front, go to office hours because they are actually helpful, don't sacrifice eating or sleeping, don't do homework the night before it is due, work before you play and you will not be as stressed, take leadership positions as a freshman representive, and lastly to be wary of social networking sites, and their ability to take up hours of time.

James

I would definitely have myself work on my study habits. I never studied in high school, and when i got to college, it was totally different. I barely made it through freshman year with passing grades. My first college exam grade was a 35, so i would tell myself that and begin to work on study habits.

I wish i had known about the fact that there are very few women here.

Gregory

Every man for themselves. Sure I'll give you the answer, but I won't tell you how to get it! I'm better than you because I always get perfect scores on exams - and I have a social life! REALLY?!

You know that you want to be an engineer; you are a girl; you want to brag about being in a new ivy; you like managing your finances even if you only take loans; you are rich and could pay 40+ thousands per semester without financial aid; YOU WANT A GOOD JOB AFTER YOU GRADUATE.

If you want to be an engineer, you better have taken plenty of AP courses! If you haven't - don't even try to get into elite engineering schools; you may be able to get in, but you won't make it long - unless you are both determined and persistent. Your best bet would be a state school. Don't choose a college because you saw the awesome laboratory facilities - take a look at the course curriculum and look at how many undergraduate courses indicate hands-on experience - chances are there won't be many. If research is your thing, figure out what opportunities are available by visiting the department website of your choice. Contact professors while still in college! The professors will never refuse to talk to you - although there is no guarantee that you will get far. The question you need to ask is: Do you need undergraduate assistants? Typically elite schools have far-better graduate programs than undergraduate, so make sure you know exactly what to expect. Do not base your choice on social life ratings of the school - the extraverts make these ratings - you will always be able to find the right group of people!

Eric

RPI is an easy-going, not-too-competitive, engineering school with a strong greek life representation, and a wide array of clubs to join, sports to play, and other activities to partake in.

Let the student pick the school, not the parents. If the student doesn't have their say in where they go to school, he or she may not have the experience that college should be. Pick your top few schools, and go take a tour of each of them. Ask the tour guide questions that are relevant to you and that would help you make your decision. Once you have decided on a school and are accepted, make the most of it. These four years are the last you will have to yourself before you get a real job in the real world and have to settle down. Join some clubs. If you don't like them, you can always quit, but at least you will know what you truly do and don't enjoy. Try new things that you think you might be interested in. The worst that can happen is that you find you don't like something, and the best is that you find a new interest or skill you never knew you had. College is the time of your life. Study hard, but make the most of life while you can.

College is not like high school. You cannot coast by without studying or applying yourself. You need to study outside of class, and if you don't your grades will suffer accordingly.

Katherine

Mostly males, but I like to say that we have a 50/50 ration because half of the guys don't leave their rooms. Students here are very driven to do well. Most students are about the same intelligence but their are deffinetly some exceptional students.

RPI is best known for its research in new technology and ideas. Here they push their students to think differently and solve the problem of the world. It is not just an engineering school anymore. It is becoming more of an Ivy Leangue school with problems in art and writing. RPI is also teaching students to go out there and start their own companies. It is an older school with a reputation of having excellent students who are the future of the workforce.

I think the best advice I can give is if at all possible don't make price a factor in choosing a college. Go to the best college you can get in to, and to the college at makes you feel happy when you are there. It sounds so silly, but when you set foot on the campus, you know right away whether it is the one for you or not. If you are worried about paying for college there is always scholarships and financial aid that you can negociate if you really want to go there. I have known so many friends that went to state schools because they are cheaper, they are miserable now and therefore their schoolwork is slacking. Follow your heart, do what you love, work hard and concentrate on getting a great job after graduation to pay for those bills!

Nicholas

Make sure you visit before selecting your school, and don't choose your school based solely on its reputation.

The social life is lacking because people would much rather spend their time playing video games than outside or doing things with friends, this is worse in the winter months.

Don't come to this school if you're expecting to party more than one day per week, even if you're expecting to party once every week, as a freshman the chances are slim. If you're afraid of people who would rather play WoW or Rock Band on a Saturday night, stay away!

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.