Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Dawson

RPI, that conjures all kinds of images in my mind, some good, some bad. Here is a list of the good and bad things at RPI Good: The fact that RPI is the perfect size for a university with 6,000 undergrads. The fact that at RPI you will find like minded inviduals no matter what your interests are. At RPI everyone is of a certain caibur and you know here that you can have an intelligent conversation with anyone on campus. RPI has a lot of events to go to on campus. Since RPI is not in a college town, a lot of what goes on happens on campus. That means something you want to do is always within walking distance. Bad: Troy, NY is one of the worst towns I have ever been to, it looks very run down and hardly anyone from RPI goes down there for anything. Troy is not a college town and is just kind of a shitty place. The ratio is somewhat of a problem. Having 3:1 men to women means that finding a girl will be a challenge but not impossible. You would be surprised about how many single girls there are. RPI is a great school in my opinion, and the only real problem with it is the fact that it is located in Troy, NY.

RPI has a very diverse student body, and the only overarching thing that seems to be prevalent is that most of people here are from the east coast.

The stereotypes are somewhat accurate. I know a few friends who came here because they were rejected from MIT or CMU. The stereotypes about RPI is filled with a bunch of hermits who just play video games in the rooms alone is somewhat true. My roommate freshman year played WoW for 12 hours a day, and stayed in the room most of the time. Although there are a fair amount of geeks/nerds here, not everyone is. There are the standard frat guys and sorority girls, and other "normal" people. Some people here are introverted and it is obvious that some people here have Asperger's, but on a whole this is a normal college, that just happens to have smart students. The stereotype about the RIBS is not true in my experience here. RIBS stands for Ratio Induced Bitch Syndrome, and just does not seem to be true. The women here are nice, and though I know a few bitches there is not a higher percentage at RPI then there is at other colleges.

I personally love the academics at RPI, granted I am not an engineer. The professors here for the most part are great and teach fairly well. This is an intense university that requires a good amount of studying, but not an unbearable amount. There are two main complaints I have about the academics at RPI. First, some of the professors and TAs speak the most broken English you have ever heard. They have thick accents and sometimes just do not know the language well enough to be teaching a class. This is a problem you will encounter at RPI, but with reading the text book, it is not too hard to overcome. Second, the major requirements for some majors are a little messed up and not quite in line with what you would think would be required for that major. Its not too bad, and is more of a problem with some majors then others. Overall RPI has great academics and the professors are very good. Also if you want to do research with professors it is easy to get into and looks awesome on your resume. Once you come out of RPI you will be more then prepared for the job you get.

RPI is a normal college campus with the full range of things to do both on and off campus. There are the frat parties and things of that nature that you can go to, or you can just hang out in your room. A big place that students go hang out is the Crossgates Mall, which is a ten minute drive from RPI. RPI is your typical college with plenty of things to do. The one thing that I am involved with at RPI is Judo Club. Of all the martial arts classes offered at RPI, Judo has the best sensei. I tried a few of the other martial art classes, but Judo is the best. I highly recommend coming to a few Judo classes, its a great workout and a great place to meet friends. Since the Judo club is only 15 people, we are very close knit group.

Stereotypes about RPI That it is a place for MIT and CMU rejects Stereotypes about RPI Students That they are all nerds who sit in their rooms and play World of Warcraft all day. That all the girls are bitches because of the ratio. People are very apathetic and are very introverted That the whole school is filled with nerds

Erik

People who have heard of the school tend to be impressed as the school is well-known as being prestigious. Pretty much everyone is at least a little bit nerdy in some way. I spend a lot of time at home with my friends, partly because the town RPI is in (Troy) is a pretty terrible area for just hanging out.

A lot of the student body is stereotyped as really nerdy guys who just stay inside all day playing World of Warcraft. To an extent, this person certainly exists at RPI but I find that there's plenty of interesting people to meet as long as you take the effort to go out there and find them.

To an extent. I think that there's plenty of fun characters around campus if you're willing to go out and look for them. With a lack of really accessible social events on campus you can't just wait for people to rush up and introduce themselves to you.

The classes are definitely oriented for practical knowledge that can be applied to finding work after school. Professors run the gamut from "pretty incompetent" to "best teacher I've ever met." I find that a lot of them make a sincere effort to learn everyone's name.

The dating scene at RPI is pretty poor, since it's less than 1/3 female. However, I feel that a lot of guys like to use this as an excuse for not having dated anyone. There are times when this certainly works against you, but overall I'm not always the most outgoing person in the world but I haven't had many problems meeting girls. In the dorms some people leave their doors open and others don't - it really depends on the person. Sometimes you'll get a community that doesn't even know it's neighbor's name, and other times you'll find a group of friends that spans an entire floor. It can be very hit or miss.

That they're no fun and not interested in socializing

Meggles

When I tell people I go to RPI, most people look at me like i am nuts. Mostly because not many people out on the west coast have heard of the school, people in the engineering, and science field are the ones who have heard of the school. When I am on campus i spend my time equally between the Union and the Mueller Center (the gym). With the clubs i run on campus are located and so I am madly running between all of them. The best thing about RPI is the people, there are many things to dislike and hate about RPI, from the administration to Troy, to classes, TA's that don't speak english, but at the end of the day the reason you stay year after year is the people are what make the school. I came from a small private school, and so I think the student body at RPI is just the right size, smaller enough to make a group of friends but big enough to not know everyone. Troy is not a college town, don't try and let anyone convince you otherwise. Students stay for the most part on the hill and party and hang out at the surrounding apartments or frat houses. Albany is a college town, but for the most part RPI students don't venture that far. If i could change one thing about RPI, it would be the surrounding town. I wish Troy had businesses that attract college students. For example, a few stores like Gap, American Eagle or some boutiques, a couple of cheap chain resturants and a movie theatre would be nice. It would encourage students to stay in troy then to have to travel to Albany or Latham for these things. Troy doesn't even have its own Starbucks!

I have never had an issue with anyone on campus, generally people are open to everyone on campus. Their are different organizations on campus that are geared towards certain racial, religious or other groups of people; but they are not limited to these people. RPI students are rather accepting of pretty much everyone, i think to feel out of place at RPI is more towards people's lack of understanding of the culture of RPI. RPI is a Nerd school! Students never get dressed up ever! For class most students go in sweatpants, sweatshirts, ugg boots, jeans, t-shirts, flip flops, shorts, and gym clothes. The only time I see people more dressed up is in the Spring Time, because of the warm weather. All different types of students interact, however as you get older you become better friends with the people who are in your major and department. This is mostly because you have similar schedules then for any other reason. Most students at RPI are from the Northeast. Most of my friends are from the New England States and from all over New York and New Jersey. And then there is a weird West Coast bond with students who are from the West coast, i think this is because we are so far away from home and its just being able to relate stuff from home. 85% of the students at RPI are on some form of finicial aid, either loans, federal aid or aid from the school. However, you wouldn't know the difference between a student on a full scholarship to a student whose parents are paying for the education. Students are less politically active then at almost every other college i have visited. RPI students live in this bubble that nothing outside of RPI matters. However, if i were to put an opinion on the political mentality of RPI i would say it is more Republican socially and more liberally fincially.

Some of these sterotypes are correct. But like all sterotypes they are more the minority then the majority of the students. Properly, the one that stands out the most is that people don't leave thier rooms, because they are playing computer games all the time. All the nerds and geeks from high school are in one school, this is bound to happen at RPI. But its not a huge porportion of the population.

I am in a small division at RPI, and as an Electronic Media Arts and Communication (EMAC) major all the professors that I have had in my department have learnt my name and remember who I am. The Arts department is one of the smallest, if not the smallest, department on campus. The head of the department is amazing, as a women and a professor. Everyone in the department is encouraging and motivates you as a student to do your best work. My arts classes have always been small, and have been taught by a professor not a TA. My favorite class is a toss up between Intermediate Digital Imaging and Intermediate Video; both classes were taught by excellent professors who encouraged the best work out of me, and where very encouraging towards my projects. As an EMAC major, i have more projects and papers then I have tests and quizzes. It seems to happen that I have projects and papers due around the same time every couple of weeks. It means you have to stay on top of it so you don't fall behind. My friends who are engineers and science majors seem to always studying for some quiz, test or writing some lab report. In my humanities classes participation is common, however, debates and heated discussions are not so much. Intellectual conversations outside of class is not common dinner coversation, but it does happen. Politicals, religion and english literature are not highly discussed topics ever. Computers, sports, games, video games, TV shows and movies, and other random technology conversations are way more common. RPI students i feel are a little more ignorant then general college students on some of the more pressing issues of our time.

The biggest club on campus is the Ski and Snowboard club which organizes ski and snowboard trips to local mountains thoughout the winter season. We also have a Division 1 hockey team, which is the major sporting events on campus. We also have a relatively big greek life, which is popular with both sexes. I started RPI Swim Club my sophmore year, we are a club that meets twice a week to run swim practices for students who want to swim, learn how to swim and to play around in the pool. My other president and treasurer and I have all swam competitively since we were young and swam in high school; I swam at RPI for a year as well. We have on average about 20 people show up for swim practice. We play games and have fun too! When i lived in a dorm freshman year people on my floor kept their doors open for the first semester then second semester they were always closed. This seems to be true in the other dorm rooms, but generally the doors were always unlocked if people were in so you just opened a door to find someone. Hockey games are the big sporting events, and some of the theatre events can be big as well, especially the singing groups. My closest friends are my roommates and housemates, but next to them the people I am friends with I meet througha friend in her dorm. I am still best friends with people i met within the first week of being at RPI. The dating scene at RPI is difficult if you are a guy, there is a 4:1 ratio of guys to girls which makes it a little hard to find a date. But if you branch out and meet lots of people its easier. If I am awake at 2am on a tuesday night usually i am doing homework or partying. However, that rarely happens and i am usually in bed by 1. Every year there are 3 major events at RPI, one is fall rush for the fraternities. Its free food for all, chilling out in the sunshine and relaxing and meeting new people. Great way to get back into the school year. Two is GM week (Grand Marshall Week) which is where the student bodies votes for its president. During the week there are many different club based events that you can watch or participate in. There is also no class on wednesday and free food and a little carnival. The week is usually filled with students partying and enjoying a week of traditions, from different events to social events with the frats. There is fireworks on the friday night when the annouce the next GM! The third event of the year is Big Red Freakout which is a big hockey game event and impossible to get tickets for, the nice thing about Big Red Freakout even if you don't go to the hockey game the dinning hall has great food and there are big parties afterwards. Friday's and Saturday nights are big party nights at RPI. Parties are hosted by different clubs and organizations and frats. If you want to party its not hard to find one. Weekends that don't envolve drinking are either nights in, watching a movie or playing video games. Other things to do are go to the movies, or the local bowling alley. RPI doesn't really offer much else to do on saturday nights that doesn't evolve partying in some degree.

That we are a bunch of nerds. This is not far from the truth, however, we are a bunch of nerds that may love computers and technology, but we love having a good time too. The other sterotype is that we work all the time, that is also kind of a misconception. Some classes require a lot of work while others require a very little. As long as you don't slack off classes are a breeze.

Mike

RPI has a good name. There are a buttload of clubs, and it's not hard to be involved if you try. There's always something going on, even if it seems like theres not. Movies almost (if not every) weekend. The town of Troy is not very great, and everything shuts down early, but it is nice to walk in sometimes. There is not much to do around in the area within walking distance. It can be a bit boring at times, but it's not unbearable.

There are a few "normal" kids on campus, with the right amount of balanced social skills, common sense, and brains..but a lot of people fit into the category known as "creepy RPI kids." They are generally nice though. I haven't come across too many mean people. Everybody is nice when walking around campus, I don't feel unsafe anywhere.

mmmm yep. There are some exceptions but a large number of people here are nerdy and lack some social skills. And statistically there are fewer girls. It happens. If you are outgoing you will probably meet somebody, though it is much harder here then maybe some other places. Remember, that girls are nerdy too here, and many don't know how to deal with attention, so it's a weird environment.

This I don't quite understand. RPI is very prestigious, yet somehow I don't see how this can be true, given the professors here. Many do not speak english well, and do not do any style of teaching other than direct lecture. Big classes and big lecture halls. Some humanities and some other courses have smaller classes where a professor maybe will know your name, but a large bit of it is all up the TA, which is a whole other issue.

RPI kids do not like music. In general, kids here do not enjoy going to concerts for fun. I am a member of UPAC Concerts, and we put on a lot of shows, with minimal turn out. This year is nice because we got a field house show: The honda civic tour with Panic at the Disco. A lot of people will go to that.

There are no girls! Everyone's a nerd!

Charlie

Best thing about RPI - easily the friends I've made over my years here. One thing I'd change - the weather because a lot of winter sucks. The size of RPI is just right. When I tell people I go to RPI they normally say I am super smart! I spend most of my time on campus (when not in class) at the gym. It's not a college town environment, but Troy does have a lot to offer and is a ton of fun. I haven't had much contact with RPI's administration. There's school pride when it comes to men's hockey - but that's about it. I will always remember my experiences with field hockey. I would have to say as an Arts student, by biggest complaint is West Hall. It's an extremely old building and it's falling down the hill. It's so noisy and it's distracting. I wish there was a newer building for Arts students - and EMPAC is not it to clarify.

RPI is pretty diverse, although it's a private, expensive school meaning majority of students are mid-to upper class and white. If you aren't into science in the least bit you will not fit in. RPI does attract a specific kind of person and it isn't for everyone. RPI is a relatively conservative campus and in my opinion not very politically active. Most RPI students are from New England. Also lots of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. T

That's not really the story whatsoever. RPI is very diverse - yes there are the dorky types but overall everyone is relatively normal.

Yes, professors do know your name, especially if you make the effort. My favorite class has to be Introduction to Management. It was so useful and Professor Wright was amazing. Least favorite had to be Communication Theory - just because the class setup was utterly dull. Students are competitive because it's a competitive environment. I'm an EMAC - electronic media arts and communcations. It's very rare to be able to get my BS instead of my BA - which is one of the reasons I was drawn to RPI.

RPI is all about frat life at night. And if you are 21 downtown troy has a lot of great bars at night. Most people party on weekends only, but if you want to go out every day of the week there's always something going on.

Since RPI is a typical engineering school and 70% male, there are the sterotypes similar to that of Revenge of the Nerds. Typical dorky science boys with no game.

Adrian

The school is a great size, I think, not too big but not too small (hey Clarkson). It's also great to have on a resume that you went or go here, but you definitely work for it. The administration gets old fast, but I'm pretty sure it's the same with all schools. Hockey's really big here, and almost everyone goes to the hockey games (unless you're playing WoW or something). One of the worst things though is that, for being an architecture and engineering school, everything's built AWFUL around here.

The student body is pretty diverse, but the male female ratio is definitely noticeable. It's only maybe 30% girls here, at best. The guys don't like it much, but the girls don't have a problem with it. And, a word to the girls, just because there's like 70% guys doesn't mean they're better than at other schools. Actually, they're worse.

Well, some of them are. Not everyone are nerds, although most are at heart a bit. A solid part of the population prefers to stay in their rooms and play World of Warcraft and stuff, but there's also a lot of people that like going out and having their fun. A lot of people work really hard here, but there are also a lot that don't. But, yeah, RPI is tough. Real tough.

I'm a nuclear engineering student, and the program is really small. In some classes the professors try to learn names, but other classes don't have that luxury. A lot of professors are here more for research, and so sometimes they aren't exactly geared towards helping the students out. But, on the other hand, I got research as a freshman which wouldn't happen anywhere else. A lot of kids are really competitive and get worked up over grades... but basically, you're bound to fail something here. It's gonna happen, and the curve makes it so you'll have a 3.0 anyways.

Depending on which freshman dorm you're in, people can be either very outgoing or completely antisocial. Barton is the most antisocial dorm ever, but some of the other ones are fun. You'll meet people in classes, at Commons and Sage dining halls, and during those awful hall activities you do throughout the year. I met some of my best friends through classes and going out. Greek life is pretty popular; there's somewhere in the neighborhood of like 30 fraternities and like 5 sororities. However, I'm not involved in Greek life but I'm still very social. If you're not a drinker, you can go watch movies on campus (and yes, they are pretty new releases), or catch a show in the Union or something. There's also a games room and stuff too. Plus, Crossgates is right nearby so you can go watch a movie or grab dinner out or go shopping.

Everyone's nerds, noone likes to go out and have a good time, all are overachievers, the school is ridiculously tough, the list goes on and on.

Rob

Just right. the surrounding town is not too nice and is snows alot. Im am not a fan of cold and snow but there are plenty of people that ski and enjoy it.

I am from NYC so I can honestly say that RPI is pretty diverse. There are clubs and organizations for everyonne to participate in and the best patr is that they do not exclude.

A large population is pretty geeky but RPI is so diverse so to say that all are is wrong. None of us can spell though.

In the first couple years the classes are big so professors will most likely not know your name. When you get into your major classes most of the professors are really good and put forth a great effort in getting to know their students.

This is the one area I would imporve on at RPI. Most of the social life is greek. Not to much to do if you are not greek.

That they are all nerdy and live on their laptops. That they can not spell or write essays.

Annabelle

The best thing about RPI is that it is a great school if you want to do engineering. If you don't want to do science or engineering, go elsewhere because the Career Center will be of no help to you. Because I am not an engineering or science major, when I was looking for a summer internship several interviewers said they have never heard of RPI and questioned my school choice. RPI is located in Troy, NY, a downtrodden area with dismal weather. However, Albany and Saratoga Springs are nearby, and downtown Troy is improving with new restaurants and cafes located in beautiful historical buildings. President Shirley Ann Jackson is on a mission to increase RPI's prestige but there is considerable discord between the faculty and administration. The administration disbanded the faculty senate earlier this year and is notorious for its authoritarian stance. Jackson has also preferred to spend millions on a new athletic facility and performing arts center while classrooms and upperclassman dorms are in need of repair. There isn't a great sense of community past freshman year since upperclassmen are allowed to move off campus and many do to save thousands of dollars in rent.

There's a lot of diversity on campus, I know people from Argentina, Thailand, Uzbekistan, and China. There are a lot of cultural and ethnic groups on campus. The Black Student Alliance is especially popular. Most students wear nasty sweatshirts and jeans or cargo pants to class, although there is considerable variation across majors. You are more likely to find sweaters and button up shirts in the Management department or even some of the Humanities and Social Sciences majors such as Economics and Science, Technology & Society. Most students are from NY, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, although there are also many internationals and people from all around the country. The vast majority of students know little about politics, although there are active Republican and Democrat organizations.

Only go here if you get a big scholarship.

RPI isn't a very intellectual environment. You won't find many students discussing current events, philosophy, or literature here although you will find plenty talking about the servers they set up in their dorm rooms or World of Warcraft. The culture is definitely geared more towards getting a job than learning for the sake of it. Classes in the Humanities and Social Sciences department are fairly small so most of the professors know your name. The Economics department is unfortunately narrowly focused on both Ecological Economics and the Economics of Technical Change. Foreign language classes have been scaled back in recent years despite a push to have more students study abroad.

White and nerdy males with a few white a nerdy females mixed in

Laura

RPI is kind of a bubble. The student body is comprised mostly of middle- to upper-class individuals, and the surrounding area isn't exactly the most affluent. However, Troy tends to be what you make it. Despite its somewhat unforgiving appearance, there are actually quite a few interesting shops and areas to explore. But, most students spend most of their time on campus, working, socializing, or wasting time (pick accordingly by due dates of projects). Despite the amount of complaining we can do, most of us are rather proud to be here and happy to spend our time in the company of those who share the same passions (or can commiserate over certain classes and whatnot).

As I said earlier, we're a bit of a bubble, and most of the students here come from families that fall into the middle- to upper-classes. But that doesn't mean a whole lot in the end, because we each student has their own distinct personality and experiences to bring to the table. The great thing about RPI is that we all have something to bond over, be it classwork or anything else. Yes, there are cliques, but I've found very few people who are unwilling to interact with others. Sharing stories with the other students is fascinating because many of us come from different parts of the USA and other countries as well, and there are a huge number of viewpoints and opinions on any given topic (as you would expect with 7,000 students).

RPI can be a "take it or leave it" kind of place for many people, especially those who applied to other top engineering or science schools, but for me, RPI was the only place I wanted to be. Not only is the Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication program one of only a few in the nation (and RPI's is very distinct), but I also have a very "at home" feeling here. Most people don't get it, so I just keep mum on it and go about enjoying my time here!

Quite the opposite, in fact. First of all, RPI isn't exclusively engineering anymore. The students are a diverse population, and we cover a wide range of majors, from many types of engineering to management to mathematics to electronic arts. We also participate in a huge selection of activities, including but not limited to Greek life, sports organizations, and humanities clubs. Students at RPI must have an interest in science in math, as those are core requirements for all students, but we're not necessarily all geeks. I'll admit to it, proudly in fact, but you might be surprised to know that I actually get a lot of strange looks and comments when I mention my love for Stargate, or that my fiance and I play Lego Star Wars like madmen. After all this discussion it should be clear that the majority of us do have social lives, and we do have a rich selection of events to attend and sports or clubs to join. It's actually a bit like a bell curve--the extremities being those who aren't geeks at all, and those who do hole up with their laptops each night to go on guild raids. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

Academics at RPI cover a wide range of subjects, to accommodate the growing number of majors offered here. The School of Humanities and Social Sciences is expanding most rapidly, with the same number of humanities and social science courses required for graduation as science and math, as well as the introduction of a brand-new major for the 2007-2008 academic year. All students are required to take a certain number of courses not applicable to their major, and some are quite hard or time-consuming, but it is well worth it, as RPI's students enjoy a hefty 70% employment rate upon graduation with a B.S. (not including military enlistment or graduate school) with an average starting salary of about $56,000. (Unfortunately, EMACs have the lowest average salary, but still a cool $36,000.) For their part, the professors mostly do a good job of teaching their subjects, and a lot of the teaching issues arise from the TAs that are too hard to understand or can't quite explain the theory/solution/project/what have you properly.

There are supposedly over 150 extracurricular activities on campus, but most of us have never heard of a good number of them. However, even the smallest clubs have a few devotees, and if you look hard enough, you're sure to find something that interests you. If you really can't find a club you like, then there's probably some kind of event going on on hosted by one of the clubs, or one of the fraternities or sororities, that would be fun. Greek life has been one of biggest recent controversies on campus, with Shirley Ann Jackson wanting to ban Greek life from campus after a series of incidents involving drugs and alcohol. However, after many alumni voiced their opinion to retract their financial support for the school, as well as an outcry from then-current Greek students, the decision didn't go through and Greek life carried on. One of the interesting things about RPI is the male to female ratio, which is still about 3:1, though the current freshman class has 31% women, beating out my class' former record of 29%. There's a slew of jokes about how easy the girls have it, but truthfully, it's just like any other school, and just because there are more men than women doesn't mean we'll want those particular men more! It's also interesting because that seems to exclude those who date people from other schools, as many I know do (having carried over a relationship from high school, transferring, or just meeting someone from elsewhere at an event). I'm involved in two extracurriculars, RenXchange and racquetball. RenXchange is probably one of the most interesting opportunities on campus, because not only do you get to interact with a lot of students, but you also get to talk to alumni about their experiences at RPI (and believe me, some of them LOVE talking about their times here!).

We're all engineers. We're geeks. We have no social lives/All we do is play RPGs on our computers and do homework.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.