Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Transitioning to college from high school is a completely new experience, especially when you move to a new state. This past year, I moved to a different state to attend college and now I am wishing I could go back in time. There are so many things I would have told myself as a high school senior so that I would be better prepared for college. One thing I would have told myself was to apply for more scholarships. I earned a few scholarships for this school year, but since I have to pay out-of-state tuition, they weren't enough. I didn't realize how expensive college was until I started having to pay for my own schooling. I also would have told myself to take more college credit courses while still in high school. I graduated high school with about 20 college credits, but I wish I took more, that way I would be even more ahead. If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school self to be more proactive with my future education. I would tell myself to stop being so lazy because my hard work now will pay off later!

Christopher

Exteremely intellegent.

Exteremely intellegent.

Engineering and Computer Science.

You need to take better advantage of scholarship opportunities so that you can do college cheaper. Also study a little bit more so that your parents will be more lax and let you go out more, more importantly don't be stupid.

John

Dear John, I know you are 17 now, and you don’t know much about what the real world is like. I know you are filled with ambition and potential, but lack the drive to realize your dreams. You are spoiled, naive, and you think that you are entitled to things that you have not yet earned. You think you are working hard, but you are not. When you are 22, you will leave college in a frustrated explosion, with only 200 dollars, a sleeping bag, and a lot of idealism about life. You will spend a year and a half walking, biking and hitch-hiking up the west coast of the United States, from Mexico to Canada. You will struggle. You will be hungry, tired and cold. You will be overwhelmed. You will become disconnected from society. But you will endure. You will learn strength. You will learn courage, and you will learn what life is about. After this journey, you will finally have the drive you need to get everything you’ve ever wanted out of life. Be kind, have faith, and continue to believe in yourself. You are special. Trust me. I know you well. Love, John

Manoj

RPI is a school that prepares students well for the future while providing many opportunities for students to have fun or pursue their interests.

Jocks and those looking to go to college just to party or have a good time.

Nancy

If i could go back to High School I would be more involved in activites. I would try my hardest to maintain more classes in the medical school such as R.O.P. Incurage myself to go forward to do and enjoy high school and what is given to me. I would of applied for scholorships sooner, and get my mine set up for college. Have a job and be going to school. I would also get more help from my teachers and cansulors for advise on what classes to take. Not goof off in class or get destracted for little things.

Arleen

3:1 guys to girl ratio makes things very interesting. RPI's culture is also nerdy which makes it a very unique place!

It offers a lot to those who seek more. There are over 300 clubs to choose from! For those who are research inclined can get researach as a freshman. The coursework is challenging and fulfilling if you are in the right major.

My freshman semester, I overloaded on difficult classes, pledged a service fraternity, accepted Associate News Editor Position at the Polytechnic and took an EMT-B class. All of these experiences allowed for the making of long-lasting friendships with ‘brothers’ that still inspire me, exposure to shocking emergencies as part of RPI Ambulance, and late nights in the Student Union putting through front page layouts only to be harassed by copyeditors over orphan words. Sadly, that first year of college was a blur of activity that was torment on my grades that semester. I let myself be too easily and quickly drawn into the possibilities of college life, having largely lived a studious and academic existence in high school of debate team, robotics and forensics club. If I could advice myself about making the transition now I would tell myself to take one thing at a time. Looking back on my college experience now after having completed my Bachelors and Masters of Science in four years, I reconsider my efforts. Life is never a race. Ample time should be taken to relish the simple things in life: Celebrate your victory over a brutal 14 hour take-home-exam.

Henry

When dealing with a science and engineering school like RPI there is the stigma of the dork, the shut in, and the socially inept. This could not be further from the truth. The kids at Rensselaer are some of the most diverse people I have ever met. Thinking about it the stereotype is right in some respect, we are all nerds. But nerds about everything. We have our Magic nerds, our sports nerds, our party nerds. Everyone here has such a wide range of interests, but the beautiful thing is we all share this underlying framework of nerdhood. RPI is the family that you never knew you needed. Here you can find the social group that fits you best, and even that means staying in on a friday to play video games or making a 4 am run to Pizzabella you are going to find it here.

RPI's Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies is unique and one of the world's most advanced research facilities. Research projects in this facility have made advances in bioprocessing, nanotechnology, microsystems, and more. Many may assume that because this facility is state of the art it is only available to professors and graduate students, however, RPI prides itself on having undergraduate research opportunities which i plan to take advantage of in the near future.

Making a transition to college involves two types of changes: adapting to a new academic environment and a new way of learning, and developing a new social life. In college the professor does not “hold your hand” the whole way through the learning process as high school teachers do. Professors will not seek out students who are receiving low marks; students are responsible for knowing when they need help and seeking help. I would advise myself to ask questions if I am confused. It is ok to go to the professor’s office hours or ask a friend for help. The average college student spends only 15 hours per week in class. This leaves a lot more time for college students to do what they whatever they want as oppose to high school students. I would advise myself to join a club because this allows students to form a group of friends who all share a common interest. Having a close group of friends makes every aspect of the transition to college easier, which makes developing new friendships crucial for the college experience.

The best thing about my school is its concentration in the areas of math, science, and engineering. When I was applying to colleges I was not sure exactly what i wanted to study, but I knew I wanted to study something in science or engineering. RPI has a wide variety of majors in engineering and science, some of which may not be offered at other colleges. By attending RPI I was able to keep my options open.

Courtney

If i could go back in time and talk to myself i would tell myself to study alot and to go to alot of study sessions. I would also tell myself to stay focused and keep my head in the books. And that what you learn in high school will get you far in the future and in college. And to keep up your grade point average and study alot to take the Psat because that test is very important.Your grade point average is something that a college wants to see so they know what kind of peron they are excepting. I also would tell my self that just because you have an IEP does not mean that you cant learn like everyone else. In addition to making a college transition from high school, college has taught me independence for my future. independence is part of growing up and when you start college you are no longer a child because you are going to school with adults. and lastly before you get excepted into college definitly work on getting scholarships because continueing your education is very important but at the same time education definitly comes with a price tag.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.