Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Chris

Wonderful smart nerdy people, some of them don't talk much but the ones that do are really fun.

The work load is super hard, and sometimes to the point of it being discouraging. There is a disconnect between some of the teachers and the students but overall its just a hard school with hard classes.

College won't be nearly as hard as you think it will be, just spend a little more time studying when you don't have a test in the next three days and you should be good. Pledging Phi Sig was an awesome decision, you won't regret it. Apply a little more to that too, you'll enjoy being higher ritual.

Transitioning to college from high school is a completely new experience, especially when you move to a new state. This past year, I moved to a different state to attend college and now I am wishing I could go back in time. There are so many things I would have told myself as a high school senior so that I would be better prepared for college. One thing I would have told myself was to apply for more scholarships. I earned a few scholarships for this school year, but since I have to pay out-of-state tuition, they weren't enough. I didn't realize how expensive college was until I started having to pay for my own schooling. I also would have told myself to take more college credit courses while still in high school. I graduated high school with about 20 college credits, but I wish I took more, that way I would be even more ahead. If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school self to be more proactive with my future education. I would tell myself to stop being so lazy because my hard work now will pay off later!

Christopher

Exteremely intellegent.

Exteremely intellegent.

Engineering and Computer Science.

You need to take better advantage of scholarship opportunities so that you can do college cheaper. Also study a little bit more so that your parents will be more lax and let you go out more, more importantly don't be stupid.

John

Dear John, I know you are 17 now, and you don’t know much about what the real world is like. I know you are filled with ambition and potential, but lack the drive to realize your dreams. You are spoiled, naive, and you think that you are entitled to things that you have not yet earned. You think you are working hard, but you are not. When you are 22, you will leave college in a frustrated explosion, with only 200 dollars, a sleeping bag, and a lot of idealism about life. You will spend a year and a half walking, biking and hitch-hiking up the west coast of the United States, from Mexico to Canada. You will struggle. You will be hungry, tired and cold. You will be overwhelmed. You will become disconnected from society. But you will endure. You will learn strength. You will learn courage, and you will learn what life is about. After this journey, you will finally have the drive you need to get everything you’ve ever wanted out of life. Be kind, have faith, and continue to believe in yourself. You are special. Trust me. I know you well. Love, John

Manoj

RPI is a school that prepares students well for the future while providing many opportunities for students to have fun or pursue their interests.

Jocks and those looking to go to college just to party or have a good time.

Nancy

If i could go back to High School I would be more involved in activites. I would try my hardest to maintain more classes in the medical school such as R.O.P. Incurage myself to go forward to do and enjoy high school and what is given to me. I would of applied for scholorships sooner, and get my mine set up for college. Have a job and be going to school. I would also get more help from my teachers and cansulors for advise on what classes to take. Not goof off in class or get destracted for little things.

Arleen

3:1 guys to girl ratio makes things very interesting. RPI's culture is also nerdy which makes it a very unique place!

It offers a lot to those who seek more. There are over 300 clubs to choose from! For those who are research inclined can get researach as a freshman. The coursework is challenging and fulfilling if you are in the right major.

My freshman semester, I overloaded on difficult classes, pledged a service fraternity, accepted Associate News Editor Position at the Polytechnic and took an EMT-B class. All of these experiences allowed for the making of long-lasting friendships with ‘brothers’ that still inspire me, exposure to shocking emergencies as part of RPI Ambulance, and late nights in the Student Union putting through front page layouts only to be harassed by copyeditors over orphan words. Sadly, that first year of college was a blur of activity that was torment on my grades that semester. I let myself be too easily and quickly drawn into the possibilities of college life, having largely lived a studious and academic existence in high school of debate team, robotics and forensics club. If I could advice myself about making the transition now I would tell myself to take one thing at a time. Looking back on my college experience now after having completed my Bachelors and Masters of Science in four years, I reconsider my efforts. Life is never a race. Ample time should be taken to relish the simple things in life: Celebrate your victory over a brutal 14 hour take-home-exam.

Henry

When dealing with a science and engineering school like RPI there is the stigma of the dork, the shut in, and the socially inept. This could not be further from the truth. The kids at Rensselaer are some of the most diverse people I have ever met. Thinking about it the stereotype is right in some respect, we are all nerds. But nerds about everything. We have our Magic nerds, our sports nerds, our party nerds. Everyone here has such a wide range of interests, but the beautiful thing is we all share this underlying framework of nerdhood. RPI is the family that you never knew you needed. Here you can find the social group that fits you best, and even that means staying in on a friday to play video games or making a 4 am run to Pizzabella you are going to find it here.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.