Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Sharon

RPI is a great school that provides you with a great education that prepares you extremely well for your future. The classes are extremely rigorous, which has prepared me so well when it comes to having great organization and work ethic skills. When companies see that you went to RPI, they are immediately impressed and know that for the past 4 years, you have worked hard. However, this is a double-edged sword. Sometimes I feel like the classes are so rigorous, that it almost feels unfair. There are weeks where you are not very busy, and then some weeks where you are smaller with three exams, and you have to put your social life aside and just study. Although almost all of my professors make themselves very available and are always there to help, there are times where I wish they put themselves in our shoes for a minute so they can realize that we have 3-4 other classes, activities, and sports that we are also a part of.

Anything athletics is very popular at RPI. Over 75% of the student population participates in club sports, intramural sports, or varsity sports. And there is every sport imaginable, anything from basketball, rugby, quidditch, hockey, weight lifting, to ultimate frisbee. This is where a lot of people meet their friends, if not during orientation or through Greek life. Intramurals are very popular, and students usually come to watch those or cheer on their friends. Varsity sports are also popular, and since the East Campus Athletic Village was built in 2009, it has allowed school spirit to really skyrocket. Hockey and football are very popular to watch, but soccer and lacrosse are also big events.

There is no one definition about the type of student at RPI. There are so many cliques at RPI. You will find athletes, LGBT, every religion, hippies, nerds, dancers, actors, etc. There are days where I walk to class and see someone hanging out on a tree, a group of hockey players, and a group of students from the Student Senate. So as far as finding a group of friends to be with for the four years, this is very easy, and rarely have I encountered someone that feels out of place, or has to eat a meal in the dining hall alone. Most of the students are from the east coast, but almost every state is represented in RPI, in addition to many international students.

Academics are HARD. There is no such thing as a class where you can skip every class, come to take the exam, and end up with an A. Some classes are harder than others, but all of them require some time and effort. It depends on the professors, but I have found that most of my classes are interesting, and I enjoy going to class. Once you finish your freshman year and most of your lecture classes, most of your classes end up being very hand-on, and more project based rather than exam based. This is one of the things that I enjoy most about RPI. By doing project and presentation based work, I have found myself retaining more of the information beyond the semester, and it has prepared me very well for my internships and job.

The stereotype at RPI tends to revolve around the high male to female ratio. Therefore, students think that this means that they will not have a social life and that the men will not be able to have any "normal" girl friends. This is completely not true. Sure, there are classes where you will be surrounded by just men, but at the same time, I have had engineering classes where the majority of the class is made up of women. As far as this ratio's effect on the social life, this is just not true. There are plenty of men at the school that do not leave their room. As a result, when it comes to going to social events and parties, the ratio very much even out and you would never know that the school has such an uneven ratio. Another stereotype is that everyone at RPI is nerdy and weird. This is not true! I have found that RPI is full of so many cliques and types of people. Yes, there are nerdy people, and people you will find "weird", but RPI is very diverse. Everyone easily finds a group of people that they get along with. Athletics and greek life is extremely popular, so there are plenty of great people to meet and things to do outside of the strenuous work that goes on at RPI.

Alex

RPI is the perfect size for a school. It's not too bug or too small. You will know many of your classmates, which will turn out for the best. It's tough, but you will succeed if you can make it.

As a tech school, RPI is usually seen as a geek school. While there are the usual geeky things that happen, RPI is a diamond in the rough. Everyone is their own person. I have found some of my best friends here and I can say that there is no fair way to stereotype this school.

If you come here and aren't a "nerd" to a lil extent, you won't fit in unless you can fake being an Internet nerd. See 4chan or Funnyjunk for more info.a

If you want a college sweetheart, don't come here. Only reason why I'm writing this. You may hear that Sage College is an all girls school, but they are all as stuck up as RPI girls, if not, more stuck up. If you can make it through RPI and still be somewhat happy, you're destined for great things. Bitches ain't nothing but hoes and tricks.

Girls are stuck up. Nice guys are desperate for a nice girl to notice.

Teachers are tough, but it's a good education. Not!!! Most professors are foreign and have thick accents that throw off many average everyday American kid that comes here.

Fraternity parties are really the only social life on weekends. Usually only girls and other Greeks get into parties. Always a list, but girls are always on it, even If some people can't get on it.

Guys are nerds, girls arent as smart, guys are desperate, fraternities have a bad name (animal house image)

I love RPI and I wouldn't change a thing. RPI has given me opportunities I wouldn't normally have elsewhere.

This is not accurate at all; most students are intelligent here but have a wide variety of interests. I have many friends who are on sports teams and involved in Greek life.

Shay

The stereotype of a Rensselaer student is that all the students are nerds and stay in their rooms playing video games. This stereotype s not accurate because even though Rensselaer students are studious we are not all confined to our rooms. The typical Rensselaer student knows how to balance academics while still having a healthy social life.

Seth

My advice to myself would be to not concern myself so much with my social life. When I first entered RPI, the foremost thought on my mind was about making friends, rather than doing well in classes. While I have made friends, I feel like I could have easily done so with less worry and less fretting about it; the process of making friends occurs naturally, albeit gradually, in college. I met one of my best friends in the world at RPI along with many other good friends and acquaintances. School work, however, requires more thought and attention; good grades do not simply naturally occur.

Anyone with a strong interest in the sciences or technology. Electronic artists find a good home here as well.

Liberal arts majors. Sorry, but RPI just doesn't cater. Also, if you want to take a foreign language, forget it.

Nathan

My school is centered in Troy, NY, considered one of the capitals of independent media in the North Eastern United States. Many of my professors are still actively involved in their video fields locally, giving them important experience.

The most frustrating aspect of RPI is the required math and science courses that I need to graduate but do not affect my future career plans, and don't interest me. If I didn't have to take those, I would have been able to take more video / audio classes.

I have been interested in making films for several years now, but it wasn't until I started attending school that I realized how little I knew. After the video and audio classes I took, I have been able to apply my newfound knowledge to three community service projects for churches I am in connection with. At my church in Troy, NY, I have been able to run a soundboard during the musical portion of their Wednesday night College Outreach program, named "Compelled". Without the audio class I had just finished taking, I would not have been as qualified to aid with this program. As of right now, I have been able to use my new video skills to do two separate projects in my home church and my brother's church, with a third movie in the works. I hope to continue to learn do these projects as the years go by, and without the experience I gained through this past semester, it would not have been possible.

nils

My college experience has been very valuable for several reasons. Firstly, it has taught me a lot about taking care of my possessions and maintaining my health without any supervision. I have learned much about the value of keeping organized and keeping track of everything that is going on. More importantly, I have learned a lot about the value of working hard. After finishing high school with a minimum amount of work, I thought I could continue on in the same way at college. I was horribly wrong. Because of that, not only am I stuck having to retake my most hated class, but I also am not eligible for the majority of scholarships because of my GPA. If I had just done all of my work the first time, i not only would have been free of my worst class, but I would also have been able to apply for more scholarships and lighten the financial burden of attending college. These very immediate effects have taught me a lot about the valuabe nature of hard work and I will definitely not be repeating these same mistakes next semester.

The best thing about RPI is definitely that everone has a very similar mindset. Most everyone is technologically inclined and slightly nerdy. There are those who deviate, but if you're the type to consider this kind of school you will probably have no trouble fitting in. Wheras in high school there were only a few "Techies" at RPI the majority of students fit in this category.

Since the school is primarily science and engineering students, a person interested in liberal arts will find it much more difficult to fit in and will generally find a lower variety of classes offered and will probably have to take other math and science related courses that they are not interested in. Anyone with an interest in liberal arts should probably look elsewhere.

My school has an ratio of girls to guys of 3 to 1. It is a tech savy school, where you will find the most interesting personalities with a broad range of backgroud and ideas. I love the diversity.

I enjoy that it is a tech savy school. It keeps me updated on what topics there are to research. The ratio is also amusing.

In my college experience, I have learned way more than I expected. Subjects that I once found dull are now interesting. Different classes are helping me find what I'm passionate about, thus helping me choose my career. The importance of time management and prioritizing have also solidified with college. College not only gives you the experience and knowledge you need for different careers, but also is an exciting ,new environment to meet people. Just being able to be merged in with people from different backgrounds is an eye opener to what there is yet to learn. It makes you aware of the different opportunities that are available. It is a work load and a hefty amount of money to pay, but what you learn and experience makes it all worth it.

Krista

I have learned to appreciate my parents a lot for all their help and financial support allowing me to go to such a great school. I think the "college experience" is something everyone should participate in; it differs from high school so greatly and people really become adults here and learn how to act and behave in the real world. I still have four years left of school and I'm already planning for my future and I appreciate that college has beaten this work ethic and motivation into me.

I love the Green Building, which is where we take all our classes for architecture. All the students in the School of Architecture spend so much time in the Green Building that we really become comfortable with each other like a family with 200 people. I love that we spend so much time in such tight quarters because we learn to have fun with each other which makes late nights no problem.

It's difficult fitting in here for a lot of people. I would recommend people who are used to snowy weather and don't mind going to a school with mostly male population and almost everyone is an engineer. It's definitely a great place for unique people who may not have fit in perfectly in high school. Everyone is bound to find friends here, and the Greek system makes it possible for really social people to be comfortable as well.

Kyle

I started off at a community college with a completely different major than what I'm planning to transfer into Point Park University with. I plan to major in Technical Theater and Design. My first year at the community college is still valuable to me because I was able to get my feet wet in the college class room before moving on to the university. I know now what to expect when I get there.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.