Troy, NY
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Carolyn

Being from Seattle I had not seen too much of the Eastcoast. I love to talk about all the places I got to go and the different people I got to meet from thanks to joining the cycling team. We raced every weekend and got to get away from campus and all the studying to have a blast racing for our school. Some of my closest friends at school all are from cycling club and I'm so glad I got involved in that and that I have them as friends.

Coming into school all of my class was warned that we would have to study and study a lot. Most of us attending RPI were used to not having to study so much in high school because things just came a little easier to most. Man, do I wish I took that warning to heart. After the first round of tests I was in for a rude awakening, as I got my exam grades back and saw percentages much lower than the 90?s I was used to seeing in high school. After a little while I figured things out more and more, and after my first year of college I think what I learned best was work ethic. I had to completely change my mind set. If I want something, I know I have to focus on that and get it myself. If I have to do something and at the time I?m working on it and it is just extremely hard then I just have to get in my mind that people do stuff like this every day. And if other people do this, then I can do it.

The best thing about RPI is all the opportunities that are accessible to all students. There are tons of research opportunities even for freshman to get in on if they are interested. RPI is a hard school, but if you are working your hardest, then there are some amazing things to get involved in.

Rhonda

I love my school because it has a great foundation where every professor and academic advisor cares about each student that attends college there. I love my school because they offer great ways to improve their students overall performance and they make sure that every student will be prepared to enter the workplace and make an impact on the world.

My college experience has been interesting. I am a returning college student and I have even met students who are much older than I am who are returning to school after a break. I have learned many different things about myself from my experience at college. I have learned that I have the drive to succeed in any task that I want and I also have learned that college is not hard as long as you make the time. Procrastination is not a quality that a college student should have and any procrastination attitudes that I had are completely gone since I've been in college. It has been valuable for me to attend college because they are preparing me with skills that I will need to complete my future career path and they are also giving me valuable tools that I will need to complete my graduate studies.

A person who is not up to the task of being a full participant in their academic progress should not attend this school. My college was built on the foundation that it cares about its students and they always do whatever it takes to make sure that every student gets a quality education. If a person is a slacker and they do not care about their education, they should not attend this school

Derek

My classes mate are qurky, odd, fun, often spontanious.

My classes mate are qurky, odd, fun, often spontanious.

I have learned how to do many things throguh my college experoence. first of this was my first ever time away from home, ajusting to life without parental supervison 24/7 was a large step. i learned how to function as an indivdual in society, i became more self relieant. More indepentant. i learned how to do things on my own and for myself.

I brag abou the classes, and social life. theres always something to do on campus. there are movies put on every Friday and Saturday night, numerous Lectures and other communty building activities.

Kara

Be your own person, well you don't really understand that until you find yourself. And that process could take a lifetime. People are compex and unexplainable. But all in all, trust your gut.

Michelle

There is no language department and a lack of English/Literature classes due to recent cuts. Also, this is a very hard school to transition into if you come from a small school with few AP/IB classes. The classes are very challenging and you are competing with some of the most intelligent students in the nation and around the world. There are many foreign professors and students and sometimes it is hard to bridge the language barrier.

If I could have talked to myself as a high school senior, I would have told myself to take Calculus and other classes for college credit so that not only would I have entered college with more credit, I would also be better adjusted to the workload and been more challenged while in high school. I would also encourage myself to be less critical of my work. During my first semster of college, I was completely miserable because I was intimidated by my better-prepared classmates and by the advanced level of my classes in general. I often had anxiety attacks and got myself all worked up if my grades were less than perfect. Throughout the semester I learned how to control my anxiety and to stop comparing myself to others. Once I accepted my imperfection, it was much easier to get through my classes and I began to enjoy myself. Once I learned to let go of things, like the occasional bad grade, I was able to have fun and obtain the "full" college experience, balancing school, extracurriculars and friends. Despite a bad start, I survived first semester and got grades I was very proud of.

There are so many great resources at your fingertips. Plenty of lab buildings for both class work and research (independent and under a professor.) There are tons of extra curricular activities to choose from... you may find it hard to choose just one! There are also many options for different classes/majors... it's not just an engineering school. They have a school of science, management, architecture, computer science and a growing digital arts department to just name a few. You have a lot of different options, so your future is in your own hands.

Arthur

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is most widely known for its attractive and successful engineering program and also the fact that students who attend this school tend to have a better chance of attaining a good job after graduating due to its reputation of having well educated grauate students entering whatever industry they pursue.

I actually wouldn't go back in time. I know I overanalyze things a lot depending on the content of the discussion, however I'm happy with the transition between high school and college.

Anyone who is motivated and dedicated to further their education with one of the best schools out there.

Tyler

I am enrolled in the School of Architecture at RPI, which is one of the lesser known majors at the university. The school has been greatly known in the past and present for its influence in the field of research which is based on faculty - student cooperative efforts across many majors. The school is mostly known for its strong engineering fields (being that these majors take up the majority of the school's learning facilities) but more publically known for its strong research fields derived from these engineering majors.

High School is a place where it is easy for people to be set in their ways and stay that way. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell him to be open to more things and people than he would accept after graduation. There is so much that can be learned from people with different backgrounds and situations that are unexpected which you would never anticipate, and college is a place (especially as a freshman) when these kind of events take place almost every day. Looking back on my transitional phase from graduating high school to moving into a dorm with two strangers makes me think that if I just tried to be open to more people and things around campus, I may have been much better off in the end. I was able to get by on my knowledge and social skills throughout my first year at school, but I still had plenty of shyness leftover from my previous practice in high school of being weary of new people. This idea helped me gain a greater appreciation for the world around me through situations and people I know.

Even though RPI is mostly a technical school, there is great involvement across campus to influence students from different majors to take part in other classes and activities that they may not have originally expected to be a part in. This diversity academically helps cultural and social diveristy comes naturally throughout the school.

Courtney

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is a distinguised institution that offers a world class education in various fields. Consequently, someone who is looking for a more party-filled, social life enhancing college experience should not attend this school. Likewise, a person who lacks the motivation, or simply does not want, to work harder than most other university students, should not attend this school.

Many people would give an arm and leg to be able to attend RPI given its prestige and superiority, not to mention its renown for being one of the best (and THE oldest) technological and research institutes in the country. The only catch is that studying there, contrary to many other colleges, is the furthest thing from a walk in the park. However, if one is disciplined, has developed a good work ethic, and most importantly, realizes (and appreciates) just how good of an education they are receiving, then they would surely thrive at this school.

First and foremost, I would tell myself that in order to get the most out of you college experience and education you MUST learn to handle all of your newly acquired freedom responsibly. Naturally, your first wish is to make new friends, go to parties, and explore the surrounding cities, while almost completely ignoring your academic obligations. But you've got to realize that, while it is a time to mature and even develop lasting relationships, your main priority is to receive the fullest college education you possibly can. If you havent already learned proper study habits and work ethic, now is the time to buckle down and do so; parties, friends, guys, they will all still be there after you finish college. So resist the urge to put off school work in lieu of pursuing a social life that could be a thousand times more enjoyable with a degree or two from a presitigious institution under your belt. And of course within all of this, dont forget who you are. Despite the widely varying, and horribly influential, habits of those around you, stay strong and remain tue to your established character and set of morals. Oh, and good luck!

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself the importance of studying and asking for help. In high school I never needed to study, and by senior year I had almost stopped caring. I knew I could pass the test, so what was the point of studying? Once I got to college it took me a little bit to change this mentality and the first few tests I had were very hard. I had trouble sitting down and finding the drive I needed to do my homework. I just did not want to put forth effort because I had never had to in the past. If I had better study habbits as a student in high school, studying would not be such a challange when I got to college. Now that I have shaped up a bit, I study every day and get help when I need it. Even in highschool where I felt I knew my teachers better, I was afraid to ask for help. Nothing is more important than asking for help when you need it, your proffessors want you to do well; they will help if you ask.

The best thing about RPI is easily the enviornment. I love living at a place of higher learning where everyone is similar to myself. We all share the same goals of aquiring as much knowledge as we can in our short four year stay. I wish every student could have the oppertunity to be in a place where they love to learn with peers similar to them, who can help them and guide them on their way through college. Going to RPI is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I wouldn't change it for anything.

I brag about what I'm doing and what I'm learning. Even outside of the classroom I still do work. As an Electrical/Computer engineering student, most of my friends back home are "geeky". We love the lastest technological gadget and can't wait to buy it. Well at school I have the opertunity to sit in a lab with a circuit board and play with to make it do what I want, and even better yet, to understand everything that board is doing. That is what I brag to my friends about the most.

Roger

RPI is a campus where a lot is happening all the time, especially at night.

RPI is a campus where a lot is happening all the time, especially at night.

My classmates are all very bright from among the top students of their high school class.

In order to match compatible roommates, colleges ask students to fill out questionnaires about their individual study habits, sleep schedules, music preferences, and traits such as neatness. I answered that I like to study in my dorm with some music , go to bed a little late, and considered myself somewhat neat. Unfortunately, I ended up with two roommates who never study, never go to sleep until 4am, and leave so much clutter that it is impossible to walk across the room without stepping on something. One of them has a desktop computer that he leaves on constantly, a television, an Xbox system and a WII complete with a drum set that he keeps in front of my bed. (He is on the top bunk.) The other one sleeps all day instead of going to classes and rarely showers or changes his sheets. I will soon be applying for my dorm for next year. On the questionnaire I am going to answer that I need absolute quiet to study, I go to bed very early in the evening, and I have an obsessive-compulsive disorder for neatness and cleanliness.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.