Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

My classmates were ambitious and like-minded.

Hard working but out to have a good time.

Dorky, awkward, and smart.

yaddaaa yaddaa hah lol

Positive and hardworking

Exteremely intellegent.

I have never had an issue with anyone on campus, generally people are open to everyone on campus. Their are different organizations on campus that are geared towards certain racial, religious or other groups of people; but they are not limited to these people. RPI students are rather accepting of pretty much everyone, i think to feel out of place at RPI is more towards people's lack of understanding of the culture of RPI. RPI is a Nerd school! Students never get dressed up ever! For class most students go in sweatpants, sweatshirts, ugg boots, jeans, t-shirts, flip flops, shorts, and gym clothes. The only time I see people more dressed up is in the Spring Time, because of the warm weather. All different types of students interact, however as you get older you become better friends with the people who are in your major and department. This is mostly because you have similar schedules then for any other reason. Most students at RPI are from the Northeast. Most of my friends are from the New England States and from all over New York and New Jersey. And then there is a weird West Coast bond with students who are from the West coast, i think this is because we are so far away from home and its just being able to relate stuff from home. 85% of the students at RPI are on some form of finicial aid, either loans, federal aid or aid from the school. However, you wouldn't know the difference between a student on a full scholarship to a student whose parents are paying for the education. Students are less politically active then at almost every other college i have visited. RPI students live in this bubble that nothing outside of RPI matters. However, if i were to put an opinion on the political mentality of RPI i would say it is more Republican socially and more liberally fincially.

well, thinking about the student body, its very diverse. the most noticeable, uhm, problem between the students is the economic standing of students and their family. most of the students are here on their parent's money. then there is a small percentage who are here on scholarships. and then there is an even smaller group, that i'm apart of, thats here on mostly loans and some scholarships. the problem with this is that the population of students is very... oblivious. they don't understand that you don't get 500 dollars from mommy and daddy every semester to do with what you please, on top of already getting school payed for, and then them buying food, and anything else their kids wanted. its difficult if your here not on your parents money, because the other kids don't understand why you don't have the things they do. i had one, uh, friend come into my room with me and my boyfriend to meet my parents and he asked if we had cars, and me and my boyfriend said no, i had crashed mine, and his parents had sold his. this kid continued to argue for 5 minutes about why our parents didn't just buy us another. then proceeded to talk about his '08 mustang his dad had just bought him. so... yea. its a little rough to deal with, but if your down to earth, there are a lot of people you'll get along with.

There are lots of groups to support "minority" (i am using the term very loosely) students on campus. I think that overall RPI is a VERY accepting campus. I don't think anyone would feel out of place at RPI, as long as they were able to be accepted. Most students wear jeans and either polos, long sleeved t's, or fitted t's to class. A few students dress up, but not many. There is a lot of overlap between different types of students, and I think that a lot is due to the dorm living. The four tables of students in the dining hall would all look the same. they would be groups of friends sitting together, not separated by dress or race or anything. The majority of RPI students come from New England, but there are many students from all over the country and the world. Most students come from an upper middle class financial background, but the school is very accommodating of other backgrounds as well. Students are politically aware, but not necessarily active. Many will vote, but there aren't protests or rallies on campus or organized by campus groups. I think that more students are on the political left, but I am not really sure. Students do talk about future income, but mostly in relation to how the cost of our education will be worth it one day.

The many Indian and Chinese TAs who speak English with a heavy accent are certainly the punchlines of many jokes, though mostly good-hearted. There is not much of a LGBT community here, though everyone is very accepting. The campus is very politically apathetic, so any activist would feel very out of place. Also, any liberal arts or arts student without a solid understanding of sciences might feel out of place as well. The closest thing RPI has to cliques is the various fraternities on campus, as well as a handful of student clubs that have a very distinct, close-knit community. The frisbee team, Trudge, is the closest to 'hippies' we have on campus, though they still all have a beer-chugging, science-oriented flavor to them all. Ground Zero is our bandana-wearing, vans-sporting, alternative music club on campus, and generally views themselves too cool for the rest of RPI, though in reality, their music is only sometimes marginally more interesting than anyone else's on campus. Then there are all the fraternities, each of which has its own unique flavor, somewhere along the spectrum of Animal House to a group of kids you'd never imagine in a fraternity who just happen to be there because fraternities are what you do at RPI.