Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

registration for classes is the most absurd and anxiety-producing process i have ever experienced... for the amount of money i am paying to go to this school, there is NO reason why i should be closed out of classes i need to take in order to graduate. in addition, i can understand why division 1 athletes are allowed to register first; they are here on scholarship and need to take certain classes at certain times. Division 3 athletes (every sport here besides hockey) should NOT be allowed to register first because 90% of them are putting sports first, and why should they get to take away classes and screw up everyone else's schedule who is actually focusing 100% on their education?

All thing s said rpi isnt that bad if you find your niche. You can have a great time on the weekends but i find that the week days leave you with nothing to do but chill with friends and play some type of activity. If you get involved then the weekend life is very good and you'll find yourself making some great memories. With that being said from my perspective if you dont drink or have no want to party then you may find yourself in your room with a couple friends playing video games all weekend. But if you are a party goer then you can definetly find a good time at rpi

RPI's tagline is "Why not change the world?" This question can be asked in many different ways. RPI encourages students to ask it any way they want, and continues to encourage students to change the world. While so many students are content to graduate with a degree, RPI's students have a passion about their work, and they all want to change the world for the better. Most of RPI's students are not only passionate about their studies, but are highly involved in outside projects. Whether they are changing the globe or just campus, we change the world.

RPI's Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies is unique and one of the world's most advanced research facilities. Research projects in this facility have made advances in bioprocessing, nanotechnology, microsystems, and more. Many may assume that because this facility is state of the art it is only available to professors and graduate students, however, RPI prides itself on having undergraduate research opportunities which i plan to take advantage of in the near future.

Yes, there are some things about this school that suck. The weather, for example. It's always windy, and usually rainy. If it's not raining, it's snowing. If there's no precipitation, it's always cloudy. The only time we see sun is when there's a student tour, a parent tour, or the board of trustees is coming. Seriously. The myth is that Shirley Ann Jackson has a weather machine. I don't know if that's true, but sometimes it sure seems that way.

RPI can be a "take it or leave it" kind of place for many people, especially those who applied to other top engineering or science schools, but for me, RPI was the only place I wanted to be. Not only is the Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication program one of only a few in the nation (and RPI's is very distinct), but I also have a very "at home" feeling here. Most people don't get it, so I just keep mum on it and go about enjoying my time here!

Rensselaer has a reputation for being top-notch, scientifically based, and no-nonsense, and that's that I found. The students here are all passionate about what they're learning (or at least what they'll do post-graduation), meaning there's about 90% less apathy than in high school. In addition, I'm no longer breezing through courses - intelligent professors with demanding course material challenge me to actually learn something new.

I cannot in good faith recommend RPI to anyone for any reason. I had an idyllic view of my undergraduate career as somewhere where I would explore myself and my interests, intellectually stimulate myself, and constantly be around interesting people. I am sure it was too optimistic, but I have visited friends at other schools, and they do seem to have what RPI does not. Enjoying RPI is incompatible with having a soul.

Campus life Freshman year is a blast and generally it is within this phase that you will meet the majority of your long term friends at RPI. The Fraturnity and Soroity situation has a strong presence on and off campus. If its something you are into then there will definitally be plenty of opportunities for you, however if you choose to avoid those social situations you social life will be what you make it.

Shirley needs to stop turning this place into a University. We're not a state-school, we're never going to have a division 1 football team or a first place ice hockey team. Academic factors such as faculty quality should be administered to insure for better overall quality of education in addition to spilling money into expanding athletic facilities and refacing older buildings.