Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Yes, professors do know your name, especially if you make the effort. My favorite class has to be Introduction to Management. It was so useful and Professor Wright was amazing. Least favorite had to be Communication Theory - just because the class setup was utterly dull. Students are competitive because it's a competitive environment. I'm an EMAC - electronic media arts and communcations. It's very rare to be able to get my BS instead of my BA - which is one of the reasons I was drawn to RPI.

Within the architecture department, you get really close to your professors, since you spend so much time around them, both in and outside of school. The architecture building is the only one that has people continually working 24/7, and apparently the only academic building with a liquor license. If you are an architecture student, you don't sleep. It's as simple as that. You get really close to your classmates though, and the work is lots of fun.

This I don't quite understand. RPI is very prestigious, yet somehow I don't see how this can be true, given the professors here. Many do not speak english well, and do not do any style of teaching other than direct lecture. Big classes and big lecture halls. Some humanities and some other courses have smaller classes where a professor maybe will know your name, but a large bit of it is all up the TA, which is a whole other issue.

the professors here are very good compared to other colleges. Some take the time to know your name but some have too many classes. I get the feeling like my teachers care if I do well, im not just a number. 85% of the classes I have had have been good in my opinion. The teachers are easy to understand and explain the material well. Sometimes the workload is overwhelming but I know I am getting a great education so its all worth it.

Most professors in the science and engineering classes will not know your name generally. If you go to office hours and ask lots of questions they may learn it in that situation. The arts classes normally have smaller class sizes, professors learn your names in those classes generally. Students study almost every week night. I don't know any students who ever had the opportunity to spend time with Professors out of class.

Some professors know me by name. The professors that know you, you will come to love. My favorite class is probably differential equations so far but freshman year is always the most boring out of the years. Students always have intellectual conversations outside of class and they can be fun. The students here are very competitive. I spend time with my professors if I need help with coursework and so on.

In the beginning, getting to know professors is difficult because the core classes are pretty huge. Afterwards, the classes become smaller and if you talk to your professor good relationships form between you two. RPI students all talk about classes outside, while partying...really annoying. It is definitely very competitive and difficult if you are not on top of your classwork.

The academics at RPI are decent. It looks very good to graduate from the school however, the main priority of all professors is research and as a result they aren't the ideal professors you may picture teaching you at the collegiate level. The students however are competitive and if the class is curved you may have to work harder than you have on any class you've ever taken.

Some of the classes can be pretty tough but it feels pretty satisfying to survive a semester. Depending on your major, you may have room for some electives. Listen to what people say about their courses and their professors and take classes that seem interesting. Also, if you have questions, ask your advisor or someone that knows what they are talking about.

Classes (except freshman year intro classes) are in smaller classrooms, professors are usually very knowledgable, but speaking english apparently isnt really a requirement and causes some problems. Student are competitive and strive to get good grades, many classes are curved. RPI learns to learn, but the name gets you a job.