Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Social life almost revolves around the greek community. There are groups on campus that aren't greek that have decent social events though. If you live on campus there are some students that are social and their doors are open all the time but its not always the case. There are a lot of introverted students. The athletics at this school are terrible. The softball team wins but no one goes to the games really. The football games don't draw a crowd. The only games that draw a real crowd are the the hockey games. The theater group on campus (which i have participated in) is amateur at best. My high school did better performances with lower funding. There are a lot of guest speakers and sometimes the topics are actually interesting. The dating scene as a result of the ratio is an obstacle that is difficult to get around but it is possible and the party scene is pretty decent. On a low amount of work week a person could be partying up to 5 nights or 6 nights during the week. At the fraternity I live at its not uncommon.

Fraternities are important to man students at RPI. Unfortunately fraternities are unfairly stereotyped in the media and in reality are far different. For me and most students at RPI it is a place to find a social life lacking at RPI and also a way to live with all your friends and have fun through your college career. Most of my good friends are in my fraternity. A lot of people at RPI only stayed because of their fraternity it is usually very important to them. As for dorms, I left my door open and most people in my hall did and just wandered around to each others room. So it was social to an extent but I wanted a better atmosphere. Hockey and football are pretty popular sports and the other sports do not get much notice. 2am on a tuesday? Drinking. Wends days are usually easy class days so people drink Tuesday night, and Friday and Saturday. Some people party a lot here and some people don't at all it all depends on the person and pretty much all people can find friends whoa re into the same stuff.

Greek life is huge on campus and something like 1/3 of the student body is Greek. I personally didn't join a fraternity an still have ample social life though. There are always parties on the weekends if you want to find one. There is plenty to do off campus too with Albany and Saratoga nearby for shopping, nightlife and concerts. A lot of big names come through the area for concerts but most don't play on campus. This year Panic at the Disco is playing on campus but most bands would rather play at the TUC or SPAC. The dating scene isn't great for guys with the ratio. Its getting better with each new class though and if you don't count the geeks in the ratio its not too bad. RPI has a Division I hockey team and the games are a lot of fun on the weekends. They generally get 3000-4000 people to each game even though the team hasn't been too good recently. Other than that intramurals are a lot of fun and really popular and there are a ton of different clubs.

There are so many student groups its really hard to determine what the most popular one is. I'm involved very much with the schools racquetball team. We have meets about 5 times a year with 15 other schools, about 250 people. We play racquetball and have fun together. Hockey games are pretty popular, though the team has been lacking lately. The evens offered are usually pretty fun. Dating scene is tough for some, thing to remember is not to try so hard, just let things happen. I met all my friends in classes. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm probably playing video games. Big Red Freakout is our big traditional hockey game as a part of an alumni weekend, so good. I'm not in a frat so I don't know how important they are. Last weekend I went to a pub and a party with some friends, then did work and homework and went out to dinner. On a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking... play Wii maybe? I live off campus, so I do a lot of things off campus.

The most popular organizations are the black student alliance, NSBE, SHPE, RPI players Clubs. I am involve with the black students alliance and it is a social club which throws many different types of events for the RPI community. Student leaves their door open during freshman year but after that no. The most popular sporting event here is hockey and football. The dating scene here is not that great, you're choices are somewhat limited. I met my closest friends at events, clubs, and parties. If i am awake at 2 am i am doing studio work in my room. The Gm election week happen every year. People party pretty often social interactions turn into parties sometimes. Fraternities and sororities are important in that 30 percent of the school is Greek affiliated. Last weekend i party in the apartment complex with 60 other people. You can go party or visit other colleges in the surrounding areas. I go to parties and social events off campus.

Students generally always open their doors open depending on where you live. All freshman dorms except barton are all very social. Barton is the only one with air conditioning so that is the only advantage. I met my closest friend right after a psych exam. She was waiting for someone else but we started talking and now we are very close. If I'm awake at 2am on a tuesday, that means I'm studying. There are hockey games which are very traditional. If you go to one of them, the entire crowd screams certain things at certain times. Like if the goalie of the other team misses everyone chants "it's all your fault" People party every week. Fraternities always have something going on. And there are so many fraternities. I am in a sorority and I find that it isn't the typical catty bitchy type. Everyone are genuinely nice people. The rush events are awesome and so much fun. Take advantage of the free food.

The Union 200 is a phrase that is often used to describe the limited amount of people on campus that are involved. I think this is completely true. I find that I have been taking on roles because nobody else wants to. Clubs are dying from that as well. The only athletic event that is popular is Men's Hockey. We do not give much positive reinforcement. When the RPI team misses a shot, we groan. The stadium also gets quiet when we fall behind. We need to stick behind the team no matter what. How would you feel if you were getting booed by YOUR HOME CROWD!!!!!!!! Fraternities and sororities are unfortunately the most attended events at RPI. Not going to lie. I feel that is really sad because there is definitely much better things that you could be doing than getting wasted. Anyone who enters this realm should really beware, because the next step for you is Alcoholics Anonymous.

Depending on which freshman dorm you're in, people can be either very outgoing or completely antisocial. Barton is the most antisocial dorm ever, but some of the other ones are fun. You'll meet people in classes, at Commons and Sage dining halls, and during those awful hall activities you do throughout the year. I met some of my best friends through classes and going out. Greek life is pretty popular; there's somewhere in the neighborhood of like 30 fraternities and like 5 sororities. However, I'm not involved in Greek life but I'm still very social. If you're not a drinker, you can go watch movies on campus (and yes, they are pretty new releases), or catch a show in the Union or something. There's also a games room and stuff too. Plus, Crossgates is right nearby so you can go watch a movie or grab dinner out or go shopping.

Greek life is pretty popular on campus. A lot of incoming freshman judge greek life and look at it and expect it to be like the stereotype, I know I didn't go into college wanting to be a "sorority girl". but here I am in a sorority...and I wouldn't change that at all. It's not the stereotype, its people who get a long living together, sober driving each other, celebrating together and supporting each other... to me its more like what my swim team was to me in high school. Greek life brings a lot of positive things to our campus and being involved in it is a great way to involve yourself. And if you personally choose not to join a house, you're still welcome to hang out and participate in most of their events, you won't automatically be excluded. RPI can be a lot of fun if you do it right and put yourself out there.

Greek life is extremely important on campus - many say it's the only way to have a social life - although I disagree with that. Personally I'm not a part of a fraternity or sorority but I know many people who are happy and consider it a large part of their college experience. I enjoy my musical a cappella group very much - I've always loved singing and I'm so fortunate to find an outlet for it on campus. There's an extreme variety of musical/theater/performing arts groups you are able to join on campus - there's something for everyone and if there's not, find others who are interested in the same thing you are and start a group! I'm very happy with what is available to me as a student and it's probably very competitive to other schools' offerings as far as diverse groups to join.