Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Most popular team: The hockey team. Hands down. Watch them. It's a lot of fun. I'm with pep band. We play at both men's and women's hockey games and football games. We are loud and we love to have fun. Dating scene: What dating scene? Closest friends: in my freshman dorm, in class, in pep band. Either I have work that i need done by Wednesday morning, or my friends and I found something that has way too much of our attention. I am not involved with frats at all and i have a good social life. Enough said about that. Saturday night that does not involve drinking: See hockey game, watch a capella concert, see a movie on campus, chill with friends. Off campus: Troy sucks. Usually when i go off campus its for ice skating or on a trip with the pep band to another school.

About 30% of the campus goes Greek. There is a large presence of fraternities and soroities on campus. They do a lot of good for the community and help on move in day in the fall. I met my closest friends by living with them. I have become really close with the people in my hall. The hockey team is very popular, it is our only division one sport. There is a great theater group on campus that performs a few different shows each semester. RPI gets some really great speakers to come throughout the year. If I'm awake at two a.m. on a Tuesday night, I'm usually out with friends. There are not a lot of classes on Wednesdays, so a lot of people spend Tuesday nights out. There are so many clubs and so much to do on campus that is it easy to avoid drinking.

there is always something to do on campus. there is always a seminar, or a concert, or a game going on somewhere. ground zero is a campus group were students perform almost every friday night for other students. its a chill atmosphere, with some fun people. you can even go and sign up to play yourself or find a band. we have our own theater group that works hard and performs every once in a while, but anyone can go and help with the set or anything. in the freshmen dorms, there is always a door open somewhere, or someone doing something in the lounge. frats are very important. you can go into troy on the weekends if you don't want to be surrounded by drinking. they have a lot of amazing food, and great bands, as well as an antique district that is famous.

RPI is a normal college campus with the full range of things to do both on and off campus. There are the frat parties and things of that nature that you can go to, or you can just hang out in your room. A big place that students go hang out is the Crossgates Mall, which is a ten minute drive from RPI. RPI is your typical college with plenty of things to do. The one thing that I am involved with at RPI is Judo Club. Of all the martial arts classes offered at RPI, Judo has the best sensei. I tried a few of the other martial art classes, but Judo is the best. I highly recommend coming to a few Judo classes, its a great workout and a great place to meet friends. Since the Judo club is only 15 people, we are very close knit group.

There are a ton of clubs here. If you can imagine it there's a club for it. The outing club is huge and does a lot of great stuff. There are a lot of intramural sports and club sports. Troy is a shithole though. There are two decent bars, a handful of restaurants/pizza places, and one music hall that plays some pretty good small bands (lots of jam bands). There are at least three good ski mountains within 2 hours of here. Mt. Snow is about 1 hr 15 minutes away. There is a lot of drinking on campus, but it's always a sausage fest and it's usually just you playing beer pong with your friends. At this point there's only one frat that still throws good parties frequently and they're probably #1 on Shirley Anne's shit list.

partying is kinda wack... frats and sororities are big on campus and they have most of the partying scene on campus sadly...Ratio sucks at least for guys, for girls its another story...The City RPI is in is Troy, New York and its a pretty ghetto city, downtown where bars and restaurants are for where youd think the party scene would be...well its not at all, too dangerous, too shitty, only some parts are in reach for RPI students to venture. I will say though that its basically all the athletic students that are closest to being normal, and outgoing and ready to party. From my own experiences so far i think i got lucky and ive met a lot of cool kids from the soccer team and other aspects.

I would have to say RPI Hockey is the most popular sport. Being Division I and very competitive, the hockey games are very crowded and full of cheering fans. I am involved in Cheerleading so I cheer at football games but I also support the hockey team by selling raffle tickets with my team. I met my closest friends through Greek Life. Joining a sorority was a great decisions for me becuase I met so many people I would not have normally met if I had not joined. Being involved in Greek Life I often do go out to fraternities both during the week and weekend to visit friends and hang out. Theme parties are my favorite where me and all my friends get to dress up.

Greek life is a very big organization on campus. In addition, hockey is very big and many people will go to the games on weekends. As I don't drink, I can tell you that there's still plenty to do on weekends. There are comedians regularly in the area, as well as a capella groups, an improv troop and plenty of other activities regularly. In addition, when all else fails, you can always get a cheap pizza and watch a movie with friends or play a video game together. Every year, there is a GM week in the spring in which campus elections are held and there are a variety of fun activities to get the students involved.

The dating scene at RPI is pretty poor, since it's less than 1/3 female. However, I feel that a lot of guys like to use this as an excuse for not having dated anyone. There are times when this certainly works against you, but overall I'm not always the most outgoing person in the world but I haven't had many problems meeting girls. In the dorms some people leave their doors open and others don't - it really depends on the person. Sometimes you'll get a community that doesn't even know it's neighbor's name, and other times you'll find a group of friends that spans an entire floor. It can be very hit or miss.

RPI Social Activities is an interesting thing... there seems to be something for everyone, and if there isn't something for you, the student union would be glad to help you start it up. If you are looking for your frat of choice, greek life is a sizable portion of RPI's student body. If you want to get involved in a group, well, there's hundreds of them and there's almost a guarantee you'll like one of them. And, if you just want to stay in your dorm, the freshman halls tend to be pretty open and friendly.