Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

I was part of Formula SAE but I had a lot of issues, for example hospitalization and traveling to my friends at other colleges, first semester so I didnt have the time to commit to the shop on weekends. I am actively involved in SWE, Society of Women Engineers and I love it. Sporting events are important here but video game tournaments are more popular. There is so much to do on campus, you rarely get bored. Frats and sororities are popular but you dont have to join them to have fun here.

When I was a freshman, my door was always open unless I was asleep or changing. Some people do not feel comfortable keeping their doors open. Weekends usually involve drinking. Most students go out drinking almost every Friday, Saturday, and sometimes Thursdays. Fraternities and sororities are very big on campus. They are a good way to meet people. However, if you are like me, you won't have a problem meeting people.

Social life is ok, if you are active enough to go find something to do. Greek life definitely helps a lot to get out of your room and meet new people. You can be up all night and find something to do with the people you become friends with. If you are bored there is always the possibility of hanging out and having a good laugh and just relaxing.

RPI has a fairly large social life. The greek system is fairly large, and despite what the administration may say, is safe and responsible (depending on the house). Hockey is huge at RPI (we're D1) but other sports kind of get left out. People party on weekends like normal colleges, but usually are doing homework until they go out.

I loved the intramural sports. Some of them were set up better than others but they were always fun. Get active. There are tons of things to do as long as you know where to look. Ask for help. Get your friends involved. Just don't do too much. RPI will kill you with homework if you let it. Be organized and you'll be fine.

Very good! Around 150 different clubs to join, and if they don't have something for you it is easy to form a new group of your own (I know, I founded a Bowling Club on campus this last year) Plus if you follow an open door policy (if u r in ur room, leave ur door open) then u will find it very easy to find and meet new friends.

RPI kids do not like music. In general, kids here do not enjoy going to concerts for fun. I am a member of UPAC Concerts, and we put on a lot of shows, with minimal turn out. This year is nice because we got a field house show: The honda civic tour with Panic at the Disco. A lot of people will go to that.

There are actually plenty of things that go on on campus, you just need to get up and get check them out. There are Movies playing every weekend and tickets are cheap. Midnight showings can be a lot of fun. Make friends and don't be afraid to leave your room.

Again, you will always meet new people and run into 10 old friends along the way. Unfortunately, once the work starts kicking your ass, it's harder to find people to hang out with that aren't in danger of getting kicked out.

RPI is all about frat life at night. And if you are 21 downtown troy has a lot of great bars at night. Most people party on weekends only, but if you want to go out every day of the week there's always something going on.