Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

« See more reviews of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has a variety of campus events that make every freshman feel welcome and every upperclassman active. Aside from the extracurricular activities, which range from archery to engineering clubs, RPI students go to exceptional lengths to maintain connections with each other via activity fairs and holiday celebrations. After a few months into college a freshman student is familiarized others on campus, something that is less likely in many other colleges. Beyond the social scene, there are phenomenal performances and presentations provided frequently at the EMPAC Theater, one of the many buildings on campus which exude architectural beauty.

The opportunities that are offered at RPI are extraordinary. After just my freshman year, I was able to gain lab experience on an independent project in a class. I was presented with an opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant and expand my understanding of physics exponentially. Through Red & White student organization, I have networked with alumni and current students, and gained leadership experience heading events. I was able to do all this while competing on the Varsity Cross Country and Track teams, at the league, state, and regional level. These are only a few opportunities. I already can see more.

I believe the best thing about my school can be summed up in one word, opportunity. With every step I take at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute I find new paths, new doorways leading to limitless possibilities. There are many different fields of education which is only one subject that I want to mention. Although RPI is known for their great education the quality that I most admire is the boundless amount of groups and activities including anything from sports to racing, electronics and game development clubs, cooking classes and much more. Overall RPI is well diversed and a great college.

Although RPI is primarily an engineering/technology school, I have found that there are classes, clubs, activities, etc. to meet every person's desires and interests. As someone who loves to read/write, help others, and preserve the environment, I have been able to join the campus newspaper (and was the editor in chief), participate in tutoring and teaching assistant programs, and was hand-picked for a research group to write an Office of Sustainability proposal. In other words, there is something here for everyone who is willing to find activities, not just wait for things to come to them.

In high school I excelled in math and science and received the ‘Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal’, which was a scholarship awarded to the top math and science student in their graduating class. I accepted this award with the interest in attending a very prestigious college and challenging myself beyond anything I had ever challenged myself with before. I declared ‘mechanical engineering’ as my major, as I was now attending one of the top ten engineering schools in the nation. The best thing about my school is the challenging curriculum and the tremendous opportunities it provided.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has great Academics. The reason why I consider this the best thing about my school is because of the challenge that the courses here gives to the student. It forces he/she to think both critically and to analyze different situations in a variety of ways. Although RPI might not be well known amongst the general public, it is highly renowned in the Engineering Industry. It prepares students well for what they will be doing in the field and because of this many companies come to RPI during the career fair looking for these brilliant individuals.

There are so many great resources at your fingertips. Plenty of lab buildings for both class work and research (independent and under a professor.) There are tons of extra curricular activities to choose from... you may find it hard to choose just one! There are also many options for different classes/majors... it's not just an engineering school. They have a school of science, management, architecture, computer science and a growing digital arts department to just name a few. You have a lot of different options, so your future is in your own hands.

The best thing about RPI is easily the enviornment. I love living at a place of higher learning where everyone is similar to myself. We all share the same goals of aquiring as much knowledge as we can in our short four year stay. I wish every student could have the oppertunity to be in a place where they love to learn with peers similar to them, who can help them and guide them on their way through college. Going to RPI is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I wouldn't change it for anything.

The best thing is that it is academically strong, and a degree from here works well in the workforce. People who know about RPI, know how rigorous it is to attend, and there is respect that goes with it. This school teaches you how to accept failure (you work your butt off, only to do poorly on a project or test). This is good becasue you know how to deal with both success and failure gracefully. It's fun, and all students are in the same boat, so its a great community atmosphere!

The best thing about my school is its concentration in the areas of math, science, and engineering. When I was applying to colleges I was not sure exactly what i wanted to study, but I knew I wanted to study something in science or engineering. RPI has a wide variety of majors in engineering and science, some of which may not be offered at other colleges. By attending RPI I was able to keep my options open.