Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Top Questions

Shaeed

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has great Academics. The reason why I consider this the best thing about my school is because of the challenge that the courses here gives to the student. It forces he/she to think both critically and to analyze different situations in a variety of ways. Although RPI might not be well known amongst the general public, it is highly renowned in the Engineering Industry. It prepares students well for what they will be doing in the field and because of this many companies come to RPI during the career fair looking for these brilliant individuals.

Taylor

The opportunities that are offered at RPI are extraordinary. After just my freshman year, I was able to gain lab experience on an independent project in a class. I was presented with an opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant and expand my understanding of physics exponentially. Through Red & White student organization, I have networked with alumni and current students, and gained leadership experience heading events. I was able to do all this while competing on the Varsity Cross Country and Track teams, at the league, state, and regional level. These are only a few opportunities. I already can see more.

Christine

In high school I excelled in math and science and received the ‘Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Medal’, which was a scholarship awarded to the top math and science student in their graduating class. I accepted this award with the interest in attending a very prestigious college and challenging myself beyond anything I had ever challenged myself with before. I declared ‘mechanical engineering’ as my major, as I was now attending one of the top ten engineering schools in the nation. The best thing about my school is the challenging curriculum and the tremendous opportunities it provided.

Arleen

It offers a lot to those who seek more. There are over 300 clubs to choose from! For those who are research inclined can get researach as a freshman. The coursework is challenging and fulfilling if you are in the right major.

Kayla

The best thing about my school is its concentration in the areas of math, science, and engineering. When I was applying to colleges I was not sure exactly what i wanted to study, but I knew I wanted to study something in science or engineering. RPI has a wide variety of majors in engineering and science, some of which may not be offered at other colleges. By attending RPI I was able to keep my options open.

nils

The best thing about RPI is definitely that everone has a very similar mindset. Most everyone is technologically inclined and slightly nerdy. There are those who deviate, but if you're the type to consider this kind of school you will probably have no trouble fitting in. Wheras in high school there were only a few "Techies" at RPI the majority of students fit in this category.

I enjoy that it is a tech savy school. It keeps me updated on what topics there are to research. The ratio is also amusing.

Krista

I love the Green Building, which is where we take all our classes for architecture. All the students in the School of Architecture spend so much time in the Green Building that we really become comfortable with each other like a family with 200 people. I love that we spend so much time in such tight quarters because we learn to have fun with each other which makes late nights no problem.

Carolyn

The best thing about RPI is all the opportunities that are accessible to all students. There are tons of research opportunities even for freshman to get in on if they are interested. RPI is a hard school, but if you are working your hardest, then there are some amazing things to get involved in.

Rhonda

I love my school because it has a great foundation where every professor and academic advisor cares about each student that attends college there. I love my school because they offer great ways to improve their students overall performance and they make sure that every student will be prepared to enter the workplace and make an impact on the world.

Michelle

There are so many great resources at your fingertips. Plenty of lab buildings for both class work and research (independent and under a professor.) There are tons of extra curricular activities to choose from... you may find it hard to choose just one! There are also many options for different classes/majors... it's not just an engineering school. They have a school of science, management, architecture, computer science and a growing digital arts department to just name a few. You have a lot of different options, so your future is in your own hands.

Tyler

Even though RPI is mostly a technical school, there is great involvement across campus to influence students from different majors to take part in other classes and activities that they may not have originally expected to be a part in. This diversity academically helps cultural and social diveristy comes naturally throughout the school.

Megan

The best thing about RPI is easily the enviornment. I love living at a place of higher learning where everyone is similar to myself. We all share the same goals of aquiring as much knowledge as we can in our short four year stay. I wish every student could have the oppertunity to be in a place where they love to learn with peers similar to them, who can help them and guide them on their way through college. Going to RPI is the best thing that has ever happened to me, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Dillon

I believe the best thing about my school can be summed up in one word, opportunity. With every step I take at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute I find new paths, new doorways leading to limitless possibilities. There are many different fields of education which is only one subject that I want to mention. Although RPI is known for their great education the quality that I most admire is the boundless amount of groups and activities including anything from sports to racing, electronics and game development clubs, cooking classes and much more. Overall RPI is well diversed and a great college.

Maryam

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has a variety of campus events that make every freshman feel welcome and every upperclassman active. Aside from the extracurricular activities, which range from archery to engineering clubs, RPI students go to exceptional lengths to maintain connections with each other via activity fairs and holiday celebrations. After a few months into college a freshman student is familiarized others on campus, something that is less likely in many other colleges. Beyond the social scene, there are phenomenal performances and presentations provided frequently at the EMPAC Theater, one of the many buildings on campus which exude architectural beauty.

Jonathan

Many opportunities for a variety of future careers. These opportunities include internships, job offerings by prospective employers, undergraduate research. The faculties are also very helpful in terms of class and future career planning. Professors are willings to explain concepts and problems that students can't understand.

Marc

The technology factor. The school is always trying to make sure students have access to technology that is being used in the real world.

Michelle

The determination and drive of the students to acheive no matter what the odds or cicumstances are.

Kevin

The psychology department

Patrick

The best thing about the school from a professional standpoint is its reputation and job availability after you leave. Socially there is alot of things to do whether it be partying or activities by the school. Plus there are about 6 other schools in the area so you won't be only socializing with RPI students.

Kenneth

Name Recognition and future career opportunities because of the name, RPI.

Galen

The best thing about RPI is the education it offers, and its continual drive to innovate and progress as an institution. What I appreciate most about the education is that we do alot of things that one can not just get from studying a book. We do alot of learning from eachother and hands on experimenting and experience.

Robyn

Although RPI is primarily an engineering/technology school, I have found that there are classes, clubs, activities, etc. to meet every person's desires and interests. As someone who loves to read/write, help others, and preserve the environment, I have been able to join the campus newspaper (and was the editor in chief), participate in tutoring and teaching assistant programs, and was hand-picked for a research group to write an Office of Sustainability proposal. In other words, there is something here for everyone who is willing to find activities, not just wait for things to come to them.

christina

The best thing seems to be the hands on learning. The main major - Engineering - seems high in the research aspect and the students seem to get involved with their respective major quickly. It's very focused and the professors all seem like they want you to get the best education they can.

Karen

The best thing is that it is academically strong, and a degree from here works well in the workforce. People who know about RPI, know how rigorous it is to attend, and there is respect that goes with it. This school teaches you how to accept failure (you work your butt off, only to do poorly on a project or test). This is good becasue you know how to deal with both success and failure gracefully. It's fun, and all students are in the same boat, so its a great community atmosphere!

Thomas

Extra-curricular programs.

David

It's small both in size and population. Lots of intramural sports. Division 1 Hockey. Great Div 3 Football team.

Steven

Availability of extra cirricular activities

Benjamin

The quality and focus of the education

John

The best thing is the quality of knowledge. The people here are incredibly smart.

Everyone is willing to help out. You'll learn a ton here, and if you graduate, you'll get your pick of the top jobs and the employers will come to campus to interview you.

Chenhui

Very good place to focus solely on your academics, then enjoy it later in life after graduation.

high academic standards, lots of extracurriculars, cutting-edge research, good preparations for the real world/higher education

Benjamin

It is career-focused and practical. I like this because my primary goal in coming to this school is to get a good job out of college.

Sadra

comfortability

Cody

I believe our access to high-tech equipment and professional teachers is the biggest advantage of RPI