Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

queen

Good!

RPI is a school with a wonderful environment full of students who come together with a diverse set of ideas for the mutual purpose of pursuing education in science and technology. We all help each other out and stand together as a community through all years and majors. Everyone is different, but we are all there for the same purpose and that creates an environment of nerdiness and academia great for people from all sorts of backgrounds and ideals.

Fariha

It is a good school with an even better reputation. There are definitely perks to going here such as big name company recruiters and top research facilities. Housing and food are not the best on campus but definitely plenty of restaurants in Troy. Professors are usually very helpful. Weather is very cold and geographically it is very hilly. There are plenty of clubs to join.

Caroline

RPI wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be when I first got there. It definitely is a school where you get as much as you put into it. And if you want to do something, you have to be willing to go find it, it is definitely there. For people who are going to be attending RPI, go in with an open mind... Don't limit yourself to what you know, broaden your horizon.

John

I think it is a great opportunity for all people. There is much to be learned from the excellent classes and professors. As far as the social scene, you get out what you put in. If you are shy and not very outgoing, there are people like you. If you want to go party, you will be able to find parties! There is something for everybody.

Autumn

RPI has a place for everyone, there are many different types of social groups where anyone can find their niche. For academics, they are challenging but, the professors are very accessible and willing to spend lots of their time to help you succeed,

Crystal

RPI is a great school with great academics. There are plenty of different clubs to join. From my perspective, a great way to meet new people quickly is to join a fraternity or sorority. It's also one way to get you outside your dorm. The student's here are very smart but they also know how have fun. One downside about RPI is that it's in Troy and there's not much to do around here unless you have a car. Overall I'm happy made the decision to come here. I don't regret it at all.

Cole

Rensselaer is organized, if anything. There are always programs and activities going on. This school makes sure that there is help where it's needed. All professors are required to have office hours for every class they teach. There are free tutoring facilities that are run weekly for many classes. If you desire a peer tutor, the school will set you up with one at a minimum price of $25/ hour. Most of the professors are good to great with a few bad apples here and there. The average in national tests for this school is often higher than the national average. The school is uphill of downtown troy, which isn't the safest place, but I always feel safe on campus. the school requires on campus living and participation in a meal plan for the first two years unless otherwise stated by a doctor's note. This is most definitely more expensive than the alternative and I wish I could have gotten out of it. While a little expensive, Rensselaer is definitely a great school to attend.

Zoe

RPI is a very nerdy school. People here are usually very smart and often tend to be from wealthier families because the tuition is so high. Teachers tend to be pretty friendly if you take the time to get to know them. Parties happen but if you don't participate in that sort of stuff its very acceptable. There aren't many sports besides hockey.

Kenneth

Here's an honest review. There is no school in this country that will give you the same experience as RPI, assuming you are willing to go out and experience it of course. Though, even if you are a total introvert, you still will have friends all around, most of which are also sitting in their rooms play Smash Bros. or LoL to no end. But should you actually be social, you will find that this school has some amazing people, both in the student body, and in the faculty. Sure the administration, may be out to get us, not putting A/C in some buildings despite them being hot like Hell, trying to make our student run Union overseen by some non-student admin, and things of that nature, but the friends, the connections. the experiences you will have here will be worth it all. Be it a greek rush event where you went cliff diving, or a small house party off campus, or even being forced to watch Supernatural at 3 in the morning while you are trying to finish a lab report that is due in like 6 hours but no you HAVE to watch that episode because it's relevant according to your friend. ..sorry, carried away. Regardless, the experiences here, and the people who cause them, are well worth any administrative short comings. Also if you like hockey, you're in the right place.

Araben

I love RPI. It definitely isn't the right school for everyone though. If you enjoy big parties and easy classes, RPI isn't the place for you. If, on the other hand, you enjoy a fairly small campus with rigorous classes and a student populous that seems dead most of the time, the go ahead.

Priyanka

It is a fantastic school for academics. In my opinion though, it is not worth the hefty price tag that comes with earning a degree. Better facilities and opportunities could be found for this same price at a state-funded university. The academic atmosphere is unparalleled. This quality of education and guidance would be hard to find elsewhere.

Jen

RPI is filled with intelligent and diverse individuals. There are many different clubs on campus and it isn't hard to get involved. You just need to put yourself out there. I have met a lot of great people here, and enjoy the campus. Especially when the weather is nice out, the campus looks exotic and comforting. The back of the gym looks like a castle..? How cool is that.

Thomas

Renssealer Polytechnic Institute overall is a great college to attend if you can afford it. There are a few gripes here and there concerning the professors and their overall ability to teach the subjects, but in my experience more often than not they get the job done. There are so many things to do on campus year round and off campus there is the great city of Troy that you can spend a lot of time enjoying, despite the fact that it is not the safest place during the night. Like any college, everything is a bit expensive and the food is not the best thing ever, but if you can get past it, there is a lot to gain from attending.

Maria

It is a very nice school, the students here have a really high level of education and they're very diligent in their work, which also makes you very motivated to be devoted in academics as well. In terms of the professors, speaking about my major, it is quite nice that you can find at least one professor who could help you with your own aspirations and interests.

Juliana

Overall, the administration is apathetic and makes bad decisions as a whole, but on an individual level they really do care about students. There are resources available for everyone that are easily accessible. Social life is kind of meh, but you don't go to RPI to have a social life; you go for academics, and it excels at that.

Erin

Rensselaer was both better than I expected and worse than I expected. Albeit, the dorms were not of top-notch quality: ripped stair carpets, leaking washing machines, old, outdated brick buildings. However, the quality of the people makes up for it: I had amazing professors that were passionate about their subject and cared about teaching their students. I met some great friends who both encouraged my academic progress and helped me de-stress. I think there's a good assortment of greek life and groups that help students find their 'clique' (if I would even call it that). I admit that it's not as sociable as some colleges out there, but as long as you aren't afraid to put yourself out there and meet people, then it's smooth sailing. I think there's a perfect mix of 'nerdiness' and 'fun' that makes me assured that I will get a good education and make great memories along the way... can't wait for off-campus housing though haha!

Jack

Fiscally irresponsible, heavy-handed administration that has taken extreme measures to dismantle student and faculty governments, stifle free speech, and has nothing to show for it except an every-increasing price tag.

Patricia

RPI is a school that is very well known for it's difficult coursework and smart students. This is no rumor - classes here are difficult. However, RPI has a huge community devoted to helping underclassmen succeed - there is tutoring, mentoring, office hours (for both profs and TAs), and so many sources of back work. RPI is also pretty well rounded - there's multiple music groups, art and performance groups, and other interest groups that make it fun to be part of the community. There's also downtown Troy very near by, where there's multiple small stores, cafes, and restaurants which are great! Overall, though RPI is a difficult (and at times very stressful) school, it's a school I love and in my 3rd year I can still say I'm glad I chose it.

Brian

It would be great if the administration wasn't straight up shit, not the teachers but the president and board of trustees. Do you know how hard it is for a college president to become widely known an d hated? Not easy but Jackson did it. The faculty and students are almost at war with them, it goes as far as the administration trying to shut down protests and looking into legal action when we didn't stop. If you're looking for somewhere to send your kid so they don't challenge authorities and only do what they are told this might be your place, but hopefully not for long.

Chen

Being an international student here is hard. As a Chinese student who have friends on both sides, I'll say the gap between the majority student body and international students is huge. If I walk into a classroom not knowing anyone, people will just assume that I don't speak English and they will all gather in their own ethic groups around the room. You can't blame them, because people like people who like them, but sometimes the blatant racism is just overwhelming. I've encountered a few occasions myself, whether is people yelling 'Ch**gch**g ' or talking about Chinese people in general in a demeaning tone loudly in public (this happens on daily basis), and it's heartbreaking to see all this happening yet you can do nothing about it. People seem to forget that earth is just a planet full of people; we all have the same desires and feelings on so many levels, and yes l feel awful when people are trying to dehumanize me.

Kierra

Overall, RPI is great place to learn and receive a great education. Certain classes can be very challenging and except to spend a large portion of time studying for exams and doing class work. Professors are very accessible and willing to work with students.

Tuuyen

RPI is the perfect college for me because of its importance in academics. It's a STEM school which helps with my aspirations for math and biology. If you get the right professor, they teach very well and know their subject. If you're struggling, you have lots of resources available in buildings related to your major. The library and student union are my favorite places to study. It's not much of a party school but there are parties. There are some clubs that have parties at one of the upperclassman's house which is nice because it's never too crowded and you're safe with your friends. Overall, the environment is one of the best.

Chisela

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is a very academically rigorous school that challenges me mentally in every way every single day . Like any school, it has its ups and downs, but over all, I've enjoyed my Rensselaer experience so far, and expect it to continue this way.

Katherine

Rensselaer is a great school. I came mainly for the stellar academics it has to offer. I also came because the school offered a program that would allow me to get my masters degree in five years or less. One thing I dislike is how expensive both tuition and housing is. I also dislike the rule that freshman aren't allowed to have cars on campus, it make getting places very difficult.

Jacob

I have been fortunate enough to be part of the football program which provides excellent opportunities for mentors and support. The academics are challenging and I am putting a great deal of time into studying, study halls and group sessions. I still feel so sure that this is the field I want to pursue and RPI is getting me where to the level I need to be. I am glad I decided on RPI.

Adrianna

Overall, RPI is a good school. Top notch academics, great extracurriculars, and good people. The food sucks, and the housing isn't that great, but you get used to it. If you can't deal with crappy food, small dorms, and a city with no social life, RPI isn't the school for you. But if you can get past all of that, you can get a really great education.

Shyla

It is very challenging academically, but full of great people who are in the same boat which helps it to not be so bad. There are also countless clubs to join so there is something for everyone. I got involved with sports and I've made friends that I'll have forever. I love the school!

Madison

I feel very comfortable here and know that I have chosen the best possible school for me. The professors are all very knowledgeable. I participate in athletics and love that almost all of the student athletes are both committed to the academics and the competition. It is an amazing school, academically and socially.

Danielle

IT's a nice school, a little too expensive for my liking but they really go deep into their academics. All the professors are willing to help and even the regular staff like the office workers and dining hall staff are really nice. But if you are an architecture major, bring extra money for printing.

Amy

It is a good institution. There is a lot of stress and pressure placed on the students but you learn a lot. Kids are tired but overall nice to each other. The school does try to support students but these resources are not always fully utilized. Housing is fair and well kept even though the buildings are older.

Chloe

RPI has an incredibly accepting and friendly community! The students are always open to conversation and making new friends. Classes are difficult, but there is always someone (a TA, professor, or peer) who is willing to help you understand. There are plenty of extracurricular activities for any hobbies, but the workload often takes up any free time. RPI's career connections are exceptional and many students graduate with a career already in progress, which makes for very good return on investment.

Yurim

It's a semi-big school and the studies are challenging but manageable. We do have super high-tech facilities at EMPAC so performers and artists hold concerts or come to work on projects quite often. The engineering curricula are well renowned to prepare students to find positions. So, overall, great school!

Laura

I think it is a good institution for learning. The student body is very tight-knit. I am not sure about getting a job once leaving since I don't feel that I have been adequately prepared for interviews, elevator pitches, or selling myself. The school is also, admittedly, a tough grader.

Emma

I have a very positive overall opinion of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. The campus is beautiful and the staff and students are all very accepting, welcoming and helpful when needed. The dorms are very nice, even the ones that the freshmen have to live in. The atmosphere is very academic but can also be very fun as well.

Sanjay

RPI is where opportunity is held; it's where greatness is cultivated. Everything about the school - the surrounding areas of Troy and Albany, the education, the collective students' motivation - the slowed-down nature of Troy compared to, say, NYC, along with the seemingly high quality of education, collectively makes me want to do better - and I 'm not even attending there yet. I cannot wait to go to this school.

Dongjun

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is a great place to receive an education in engineering and the likes. It is filled with plenty of supportive professors and students who create an atmosphere that influences a strong work ethic and dedication to academics. That being said, the campus quality is mediocre, as the buildings clearly appear to be outdated. The food is subpar and does not make students excited for dining hall meals. Greek life is prominent throughout the campus, but parties are not as abundant as other schools. Overall, I would say that coming to RPI is a good decision for those who want to pursue an engineering degree in a renowned institution, surrounded by peers who will encourage behavior that will place students on a trajectory that will get them far in life.

Steven

Rensselaer is a great school to be at. Everyone around campus is really friendly and enjoys being there. Even though classes can be very challenging at times there is an atmosphere of camaraderie and students work to get through them together. The campus is beautiful especially in the fall and the spring and despite the city of Troy being not having the best reputation campus is isolated from the city largely and is perfectly safe. There are tons of fun activities to do in the are like visiting the Troy Farmer's Market and the many lakes and state parks nearby. On campus there are tons of student led organizations where everyone can find something they love to do. The hockey games are a ton of fun to go to and there are always events happening around campus organized by the Student Union. Even though a lot of the public isn't familiar with RPI, the school has an excellent reputation among employers so pretty much everyone finds a job when they graduate.

David

A really great school with a strong culture for academia. The Professors are very acceptable and everyone wants you to achieve. There are tons of different extracurricular activities for almost anyone can get involved in. On a more realistic side of things, the food is not always the best although they are pretty accommodating. There are parties if you want to get into that but they are excluded from weekends and are off-campus. The classes are challenging but they really help you grow and get out of your comfort zone in a really positive way.

It’s a great school for engineering majors, but other majors are taken very seriously as well. They are dedicated to education. The school is high quality and high class. The studies are very challenging but there is a fun environment outside of class.

Z

Hello everyone, I am a math major in RPI 2022. I got two internships in summer 2020 which related to my major, so I applied an exception to change my arch program. I went to CCPD and talked to the counselor, her response was very positive towards my request so I committed to those companies. And after I updated my formal offer letter to them and I didn't revive any responses in two week. And today I found out RPI rejected my application for a ridiculous bullshit reason. I clearly applied to the reason related to my career, however, the school rejected my due to the Athletics Department. It's such a lie that the rejection letter said "All requests are reviewed by the committee on a case by case basis utilizing the information provided by your request, information available within the student's Rensselaer account, and in consultation with the campus service(s) most relevant to the student's request." I am not even an athlete and I have nothing to do with this department. Which means the school did not take applications seriously enough and just reject students with some shitty reasons that has nothing to do with the application. I am very disappointed with the Arch Program in RPI and it's mandatory for everyone now. Clearly the school didn't give a shit about your future and would not let you get out of arch due to the greediness of your summer arch housing money. If you are applying to RPI, this is my experience of getting two good internships and got rejected according to the bullshit reason given by the school. The school does not care about your future career at all, all they care is the MMMMMMMMONEY. The school is ruining my future, and they even could not give me one reason that actually related to my request.

Evan

It is a great academic school to attend and is well known by top employers. I knew what I was getting into before I chose it, in terms of social life, but the social life is a lot better than I expected it to be. The workload can be very stressful at times, but I have become friends with a group of similar people and we are all getting through it together.

Billy

I love it here, it's been a lot of fun so far when I first visited. People tend to knock the school for things like technology innovations and Troy, but I honestly haven't seen an issue with either so far. Neither takes away from the value of the education that students receive at RPI nor does it take away from its name value. On the other hand, Troy is also pretty nice. I love going there on the weekends, and I don't see what more to expect from the buildings in the town/campus considering many are over 200 years old and there are constant renovations being done.

crystal

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute became my first choice college after attending tours and several events on campus for prospective students. I ended up applying early decision II. Overall, RPI offers a phenomenal academics with countless opportunities for the students. There are many extracurriculars to be involved in. The campus is beautiful in my opinion and I love the aesthetic of especially the library. I am a rising sophomore are so far I am still content with my decision to pick RPI, it’s definitely not perfect but the things that it offers it’s students outweighs the faults.