Rhode Island College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rhode Island College

Natassia

Rhode Island college needs better food. Overall I think that it’s a alright college for instate. I love that they are making the college more modern and diverse, I feel like I fit in and making friends isn’t as hard as before.

Angelica

I like that Rhode Island College has diversity! Most of the professors are friendly, and want to help their students succeed. If students would like to overcome their shyness, there are clubs avaliable to join. If there are questions about the resources at Rhode Island College, the staff are happy to help.

Rhode Island is a great college in terms of affordability. Its affordable for in state and out of state students. While on campus expenses may be pricey for a public institution, its still manageable. There are many opportunities for jobs on campus, and location is exceptional for those to get jobs, who may not have transportation. Academics are overall nice, but could use improvement in some departments. There are many opportunities for students to get involved both on and off campus. Also, there are many out of school activities put together by the school, mostly free to students, or at a discounted price. Such as concerts at the cafe, and movie nights like a private screening of Black Panther at IMAX.

Salena

I think Rhode Island College is a great academic school of higher education. It has the best opportunities for everyone. Rhode Island College is a school that will give you so much knowledge; you can gain so much from this school. I hope to continuing and make it towards the end.

Sara

I attended Rhode Island College, but did not finish my degree. My experience was excellent. For the most part I truly enjoyed my professors and the knowledge and experience they had to offer.

Chelsea

Compared to other colleges, Rhode Island College is not a party school, but rather as a means to finish college with little costs. Because it's a small campus, most students choose to commute than to live in dorms. While there's a few students, including myself, that commute through bus, but many students drive to RIC. However, the latter needs to find parking early because there's not enough student parking lots. Each program of study has its own building with a small class size. This makes it easy to communicate with other students, professors, and staff members. Outside of class, there's extracurricular activities and events that's fun, and allow you to meet interesting people. To have a fun college life at RIC, one needs to go out there!

Victor

I enrolled Rhode Island college fall of 2013, ever since I've had great life experiences that have placed me where I am today and building my future. The RIC community is very welcoming and with all the clubs and organizations in campus there's definitely a group of people that will connect with and that the same passions as you. The tuition is very affordable and the education that you're getting is above what you're paying as a student making a great school

Esmeralda

Rhode Island College is a really nice campus! It is really easy to get around and you get used to the campus quite fast. I would say that this campus is really for someone who enjoys a small campus. Their tuition is great and it is a really good place to be enrolled in.

Julia

RIC is a great school! There are a ton of clubs to join on campus and the academics are fantastic; classes are engaging and professors actually care about your success in their classes. Most of them are available outside their office hours and are incredibly accommodating for students. Some questions on this review, such as on-campus housing, drugs and alcohol, are unfair questions to RIC seeing as 85% of RIC students commute and there is a significant portion of part time students.

Keren

I’m not going to lie to you, when I first started the college application process I never thought I’d end up at RIC. Not because I wanted to run away from home and because 18.5 minutes weren’t enough. No. It was because I heard that RIC wasn’t “lit” enough to live up your college experience and because If I attended this college, I was going to be entitled to be basic for the next four years of my life. Obviously, like any ordinary teenager in America, I dreamt for so long to attend the biggest most live university of the nation, but just like I couldn’t afford a pair of shoes from Aldo without saving up for two weeks; it was also evident that I couldn’t afford any “lit” university. So, it happened. I became part of the eighty percent of seniors from High School in Central Falls, Rhode Island to attend RIC. Yeah, I was now basic. I would’ve loved to say that my story could turn out to be just like Viola Davis’ but unfortunately I’m not as talented in acting. But anyways, with no many other alternatives, I decided to live the college experience at RIC to the fullest. So, I moved in. As the first person to attend College in my household, I can say that moving to RIC was a one-time great experience. Despite the fact that I had to spend my number nineteen birthday moving stuff up and down the Penfield Hall on campus, I can say that a moving day a RIC consists of much more than just picking the best bed in your dorm. In the process of waiting for a room checkup, I met the president of the college. Yeah, they very new president of RIC dude! My mother always told me I was a lucky chicken, but I certainly didn’t know why until I met him. Dr. Frank Sanchez came up to us to greet us and get to know us. He was so polite and charming that even took the time to say a few words in Spanish so my mother could also be part in the conversation. Right after an amazing conversation, I expressed to him how I was happily spending my birthday moving in and he congratulated me for choosing education first as we took a picture of the RIC website. The truth is that RIC is indeed a very diverse campus. Just like we were so lucky to have a president with a Hispanic background, we also had a carnival of races all over campus that I constantly pictured as a rainbow of cultures. Living on campus at RIC was definitely the best choice I ever made. Yeah, dude. I was a RIC first year student in 2016 and I was okay with that. As for the dorms at RIC I can say that I am entirely lucky to be in the most comfortable building and would certainly have nothing to envy from the friends who attended the “lit” university and are forced to share a room with two strangers as they party in bunk beds. Despite the fact that the Donovan Dining Center food needs to be reviewed and reinforced, I can say that living on campus has been a blessing. When I say it needs to be reinforced, it doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate the work of our hardworking men and women working in the kitchen but I can’t let go of the fact that for many of us yogurt and granola has become our number one meal. Maybe it’s because I’m Hispanic and I miss the flavor of my mother’s rice and beans, but I couldn’t miss that detail. In the other hand, I can also say that our RIC community support and love each other. When we were explosively hit with the news of our new president-elect, I observed posters all around campus were a sentences highlighted the intentions of the whole community. “despite the fact of the elections, RIC supports our Hispanics and LBGTQ brothers and sisters” The truth is that at RIC I learned how to care and give for others, as well as being fair. As a very un-athletic person, I am completely satisfied with the campus size. It is always good to know that during snow storms, we can always walk to the dining hall without dying from hypothermia. Also, I find it strongly completely to have small size classes where a connection between students and instructors could be built. It is also convenient because most of us tend to vamp-it for hours to finish our last minute essays and running just five to ten minutes before class comes into hand knowing your class is just across the hall. The truth is that RIC could be the basic college in Providence, but it can also be the most affordable and comfortable to live in. Throughout the last three months of my life, I can say that I am completely satisfied with my choice to attend RIC. Not only because the accounting major is rate ten percent in the nation, but also because at RIC I encountered my second home and certainly learn to live independently and safe. In the same way, at RIC I found opportunities and most importantly, I found a family. So, yes. I am the basic teenager attending the “un-lit college” but I am also the luckiest human being for taking the steps for a better education at RIC.

Lindsay

I commute to Rhode Island College as a full time student five days a week. Honestly I would not like to live in a dorm anywhere and off campus housing is pretty costly for a student. In my eyes, it is a wonderful commuter school. There are many experienced professors here that also teach at other state and private schools. Also, there are many students with diverse backgrounds. You are getting a great education at RIC for a fraction of the cost you would pay elsewhere.

Sara

Rhode Island College is a good school for people who want to either teach or go into nursing. It is also good for people like me who wanted to go to a school close to home. RIC is a good college; not too big or too small and very much involved in both arts, athletics and academics.

Alexis

RIC is an extremely affordable way to get a college education. The buildings are currently being renovated and are beautiful. RIC is mostly a commuter school, which is severely lacking a campus life, major sports and extracurricular activities. It is harder to get involved on campus and is silent by Thursday night. The food is horrible, the dorms are disgusting and it is missing the true college experience.

It is difficult for me to rate this college because I am a transfer from an expensive University. Basically, I can see why RIC is so affordable because apparently, a competent staff costs $$$. RIC is not one of those schools. People are just there to fill desks and look like there are employees but really nobody knows anything and will bounce you around from person to person to person until you just freak out on someome and they wil finally get it done. Besides that, this college is alright.

It is a good school, but if you're expecting a college who does more on-campus activities, it's not all that great. Good school to commute to though. The food is not all that great and can make you sick. Also, there's some on-campus housing that is not all that great, but the new apartment-style housing is nice.

nicolle

There are certain programs that RIC is known for, that are great for those going into those fields. As for the school as a whole, I wouldn't recommend attending. They don't let you transfer credits from another school easily, the bursar, and records office not budge an inch when it comes to help out students. They also give a lot of attitude and can be very rude.

Khamry

I believe RIC could be a lot better. We lack school spirit because we are a majority commuter school and the events we hold on campus aren't exactly attention grabbing either. Our greek life could be improved as well; we don't have sorority or fraternity houses . . . just offices. The food could definitely be better but its not terrible.

Alexa

Rhode Island College is a great choice for both in-state and out-of-state students because it is affordable, has great educational programs, the campus is clean and inviting, and the falculty and staff are always available to help. The college is also near-by shopping centers and restuarants.

Rhode Island College is a good option for many people, however, it does not come without it's problems. The main problem I have found is that it is nearly impossible to graduate from RIC in four years, a goal for many students. Due to the extremely limited amount of classes offered, many students are forced to put off required classes for several semesters. There comes a certain point when the low cost of the education is leveled off by the amount of time some students are required to spend here. A solution would be to hire professors who are able to teach multiple classes or multiple sections, giving hardworking students more options.

Kelsey

I enjoy going to school here. I feel safe, welcomed, and the teachers are amazing! The class sizes are good and I feel like all of the students are cared about and everyone wants us to succeed and be the best students we can be. The campus is always clean and we have surveys and events being held all over campus to improve the school. My first year at RIC was great!

Chris

I think the college itself has a lot of issues within its infrastructure and it has potential to be great but teachers are needed and new buildings need to be built. Overall the school is begging for a good leader to take charge and improve the school and I am hoping that with the right president it is lead properly.

Hattie

Overall it's a great school. So far my professors have been wonderful and I've loved my classes. The dining hall has a ton of food options and they're healthy. It's a small, alcohol free campus which is great because I'm there to learn, not party. I'd say the dorms are standard, depending on which hall you're in, mine's a little on the smaller side but that doesn't bother me. I'm excited to continue my academic career there!

Fulvia

When I was a junior or senior in high school, I was sort of hesitant on going to Rhode Island College just because the campus seemed dead, not alive, and quiet, and this was in the cold weather when I went on a college trip to visit. I wanted to go to the University of Rhode Island because it seemed so alive and fun, but my parents did not want me to be far away from them and living on campus and I did not either. I eventually chose Rhode Island College because it is close to where I live, like a 10 minute drive depending if there's no traffic, also because they have a great nursing program as they are listed as #1 in New England, and later realized how amazing this campus looks like and not to mention that I do feel safe on that campus. When I went to summer orientation, I had a lot of fun and just couldn't wait for my first year of college to start and not only that but the campus size is just perfect, not too small or too big, more like medium sized college, decent class sizes and professors do seem to care about their students based on the professors I've had. Overall, I highly suggest students to have Rhode Island College as one of their choices and visit the campus itself.

I really enjoy my time here at Rhode Island College. It is the perfect school for someone who works better in small environments. The professors are caring and the students are nice. They are constantly working around the clock and school year to make Rhode Island College a better place and all their hard work is being noticed.

Darileiny

In general Rhode island college is one of the best colleges in the country for all the variety of programs, careers etc, also rhode island college gives us as students a lot of academic aids, and has an excellent sports club for those who like to do sports and many other amazing clubs

Nashira

At first I was skeptical about attending Rhode Island College, but now that I am actually here and experiencing life on campus I am more confident with decision to attend Rhode Island College. The faculty members are extremely helpful and friendly. It feels more like a community than a school.

Its enjoyable to attend, beautiful campus. Lots of social activities for on and off campus students. Professors have been helpful with regular hours, some are willing to go above and beyond. They offer both online and classroom classes, hybrid is also a great option. I wish you could do all online, but maybe in the futrure.

Jocelynn

I have only been attending Rhode Island College for a few months now and it feels like I have already gotten a feel of how the college works. RIC is an open place and there are many fun activities to do on campus if one is ever bored. The overall experience I have had is what I think is the typical college experience, where one feels moderately stressed out, but also a calming sense of independence.

Joaquin

There should be more job opportunities for students without work study. The food is really poor and should be improved as well as the cafe. Being into sport and doing exercise, I would like if the recreation center would close at two am at least twice a week.

Abigail

I think that many Rhode Island College deserves more credit than it is given. It may not be a very competitive school, but for the price we pay, we are given the opportunity of receiving a very good education. In my opinion, a degree is a degree, no matter where you earn it. So you might as well go to a school like Rhode Island College that is affordable, helpful, and convenient.

Kate

My overall opinion of the school is that allot of the professors in this major have lost touch with what it is like to be a teacher. The general ed professors are really engaging and fun, but the major professors are pretty secure in their position and there for do not put the extra effort to make in classes interesting.

Carrie

The Rhode Island Campus is actually a beautiful campus and most of the buildings are close to one another. The Adams Library is a nice study area and the cafe in the Student Union is also a nice spot in order to work on homework and other schoolwork, even to spend time with classmates and friends outside of classes. The Professors are all nice, and they do their jobs pretty well and everyone that works there is pleasant and understanding.

Ariel

I transferred in to Rhode Island College in the Fall of 2016. I came from Community College of Rhode Island. I obtained my certificate in Medical Billing and Coding there. I did not like the transfer process, I thought there was an extreme lack of communication. I do now like the college and the classes that I am enrolled in.

Laurie

Rhode Island College is a good option for locals trying to remain close to home. The school is especially known for teaching and nursing programs. The campus is small. Parking is not the best. They are continuing campus renovations to make the school more appealing. If I were to re-do my nursing degree at RIC, I would. I feel as though I got a great nursing education that prepared me to be a profession nurse.

My overall opinion of Rhode Island College is that it is an amazing school. If you are looking for a small school that is close to home and is a close community. This is the school for you. The professors and the staffs are great people, they care about you and your education. They are willing to do whatever it takes to help you succeed.

Melanie

I think Rhode Island College is a great college! I love my classes and this is only my freshman year. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. It was really easy to get used to and knowing where all my classes were. Overall, i'm very pleased with my choice of attending this college.

Leah

After attending four different college in two other states, Rhode Island College seems like a standard state school. Not to bulk all state schools into one, but it seems to me that most offer a handful of well-developed majors and subsequent masters programs and keep things pruned. It's accessible, but could afford to lower tuition as most of us attending are low income.

Leneyzsha

Rhode Island college may be a small college, but it is a great campus. Rhode Island College is a dry campus, we don't have parties unless the school hosts it. The academic curriculum is excellent and the classes are small. With a small class, students are able to have a 1 on 1 with professors.

Allison

I am very happy with my choice to attend Rhode Island College. I believe that it fits all the needs I wanted in a college. Also it allows you to be part of the world and know what is going on in the world! It also allows you to have the chance to be in the work force earlier by doing different internships throughout the community.

Kevin

A solid college for the price but it's definitely a college where you get out of it what you put into it. Some professors are extremely helpful and others just flat out don't want to be bothered. They just overhauled the recreation center on campus and it's unbelievable, the last I knew, they were redoing some of the dorm buildings but I haven't seen the final result. Unless it has changed since I graduated, trying to schedule classes was always a hassle. The system would freeze and classes would fill up within 5 minutes of scheduling availability even though the system would freeze. Again, you get out of this college what you put into it.

Lillian

I love being a RIC student. Our classes are smaller, meaning there's more interaction with professors and you are held accountable for your work unlike in a 300-student lecture in a lecture hall. Our faculty is accredited, and they are really accessible. I live on campus and I love campus life. There isn't always a lot to do, but with the right group of people you find things to do. I'm involved in two clubs, Resident Student Organization and the Ballroom Dance Team. I love being involved with these groups and they've made being on campus that much better. When you get involved and make friends, being here gets so much better.

Adedayo

Rhode Island College is the perfect college if you are planning on getting your degree and getting out dodge. The library, where I spend most of my time, is open late, and there is always space in the computer labs. Socially, it is lacking, you'll have to go to URI for that. The food is meh (aside from the soup), but even if it wasn't, it's sooooo expensive. Its perfect for me though cause I'm an introvert and I just want to finish up.

Julia

Rhode Island College is very affordable and a small college which makes easier to learn, and to pay for it. It is very diverse and students are friendly and very welcoming no matter where you come from. Professors are helpful as well and dedicated and motivated to teach the class.

Jadira

I love the college. Everyone is friendly, we help each other out when in need, and it is easy to get around. There is plenty or support if you need it i.e. Tutoring, career services, and counseling. The best part is the services are free of charge and they welcome you with open arms and have an open door policy. Over all RHode Island College is amazing!

Marelen

As a current student, I honestly love it. My professors are good, some better than others but this school is a small community, so it was easy to make amazing friendships. I'm in the nursing program, and this school is huge on nursing. Their nursing facilities are top notch, and the quesadillas at Donovan dining hall are amazing.

Jaclyn

Rhode Island College has been a good experience so far. My only advice is to make sure you are working with your advisor at all times to keep an eye out for graduation and changes with your major. Everyone is very accommodating, though it can be difficult to get in touch with some people at times.

Alexandra

Great school. Campus is nice, environment is friendly. Class sizes great. Art department is top notch. Parking is decent (wish there was a parking garage though). On the poorer side. The Food is awful, badly lit, cleaned up after poorly after a snow storm, no dunkins on campus, needs more food places on campus and overall better food.

Erin

If you want to go in and out of college to get your degree then you should be fine. It is upsetting how this college and other colleges fell more like a business then a place where young people can learn. However, it is relatively cheap and has an amazing nursing program. Wish they would get more parking spaces considering it is a commenter college.

Jilliann

Overall Rhode Island College is a great college. The professors are very engaging and knowledgeable about the subject they teach. The neighborhood around the college is a decent area. I am a returning student and even being back on campus, it is still the same, I love the campus and the college.

Phylicia

This college is decent, however they make it hard for students like me who have outstanding chargers on their account to pay it back in a timely manner, or you will not be able to register for classes the upcoming semester. Overall, it can be better.