Memphis, TN
Rhodes College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rhodes College

Sam

Rhodes is overall a great school. Great academics with great professors and lots to get involved in on campus. However, like any higher-ed institution nowadays, there is an extreme lack in political viewpoint diversity. In my experience, this makes it very hard to be able to openly and honestly express one's conservative opinions (or even moderate/slightly-right-of-center). The students at Rhodes are very politically active, which is great, but sometimes they are too quick to name-call and shoot down genuine, good-faith ideas that might be presented - instantly labelling others as "racist", "misogynistic", etc. I find this to be disheartening at such a great academic institution, where freedom of speech and opinion should be embraced for all, not just the left. But, I guess thats kinda the norm everywhere now, so what can you do.

Mary

When a Memphian, the name given to those of us lucky enough to reside in Memphis, Tennessee, thinks of Rhodes College they think of either one of two things. The first thing they think of is the reputation the school has as a party school. The second being its reputation of immense academic programs. How can both of these reputations exist? Until I grew up to attend this college I had no idea. I grew up in Memphis and never knew what to believe when it came to Rhodes College. As I immersed myself into the Rhodes community I saw much of what I feared; the irresponsible type of party-life that everyone had heard tell of. Then, as I found my people, I realized that Rhodes is much more than the weekend greek life parties. When walking in the gates of Rhodes campus the first thing that you see are the frat houses, but as one walks deeper into the campus, there you find the heart of Rhodes. The beautifully styled colligate-gothic architecture, as well as the expansive green spaces show a different story of tradition and excellence. This is not to knock down the greek life at Rhodes in any way, it is an integral part of the Rhodes identity. Other than being known for their parties, most of the greek life programs at Rhodes strive to better their own communities as well as those in the Memphis area. The school still has its problems, many regarding diversity and inclusivity, but just as the physical campus functions, there is work being done hidden away in the centers of on-campus organizations and individuals. The Black Students Association, the Muslim Students Association, the Gender and Sexuality Alliance are all examples of the affiliation groups Rhodes offers to its students to learn and bond with those like, and unlike, yourself. There is even a new push to address the more unhealthy habits of students regarding the party life. There are so many increasingly passionate students and professors at this school who are working towards changing Rhodes, and Memphis for the better. Regardless of the reputations this school may hold, I believe that Rhodes College generates individuals, immune to group thinking, ready to make their mark on the world, proudly boasting their Lynx pride ingrained in them from day one.

Rhodes College is my home. I have always loved the collegiate, academic atmosphere, and it's everywhere at Rhodes. Sure, we have our fun, but there's always an intellectual conversation going on somewhere on campus, whether in a frat house, between friends, between a professor and a student, or with a guest speaker.

Nicholas

I believe Rhodes College is a very great school, that provides education needed to become a very successful individual. With the amazing staff that I saw, and polite students I believe it would be a great fit for me. The small classrooms also fit my personality so it only enhances my learning experience.

I've attended Rhodes for a year and a half and I believe that in this time, I can safely say that this isn't the school that I thought it would be (and I mean that both in a good and bad way). Then again, I didn't know what to expect joining a private, liberal arts college. Starting off with the pros, a major plus for my school is the small class size. Classes can range from 10-40 students (larger classes typically science-based). Because of this, students and easily get a hold of their professors for questions or easily find them during their office hours. However, I find this to be the only overwhelmingly positive thing about my school. The negatives, to me, seem to easily outweigh them. Firstly, the food options at Rhodes aren't that great. There's what students call 'The Lair' which is akin to any unhealthy fast food chain (however, it's the best-tasting option unfortunately), and there is the Catherine Burrow Refectory (the Rat) which is a hit/miss (typically a miss, ESPECIALLY during the weekends. Leaving students to opt for the lair which gets tiresome really quickly). Secondly, the drinking culture here isn't the most responsible. I don't drink. It never really appealed to me; however, I understand that some students do so for fun. So in my mind, I say to each their own. Rhodes also has a certain blasé attitude with on-campus drinking: underage or not. It's understandable that underage drinking can't exactly be stopped everywhere, so campus is pretty lax with alcohol. However, alcohol has gotten so bad to the point that ambulances every weekend became a regular occurrence. It probably isn't the most fair to have drinking be a fault of the school, but how lax they were towards it in the first place certainly had me raising my eyebrows. Lastly, search/life as a part of the curriculum comes off as a major waste of time to me. To sum this up, Rhodes receives a large sum of money from a family/organization (to which I do not know the name of at the moment, forgive me), and in return for this sum, they are required to have search/life courses. So in my case, I was required to take 12 credit hours of search to fulfill a foundation credit. I view this a waste of precious time because I am an agnostic, chemistry major that will have no use of this whatsoever. Overall, I can see how Rhodes excels academically in terms of communication between students and professors, but that seems to gray in comparison to environment/course issues that I have run into whilst being here.

Jordna

Rhodes college has given me an abundance of opportunities to become a better person as a whole. The liberal arts curriculum is encompassing and well thought out. While it doesn't force you to take a class in every major, it does ensure that you become a well rounded student. As a First Year, I have already had plenty of opportunities to become involved on and off campus. Most importantly, I have always felt safe and welcome on campus. The class sizes are small, which means professors are very available and everyone is working to help you succeed. I have discovered Rhodes students to not only be intelligent and intellectual, but also tons of fun. Rhodes is a very "work hard, play hard" school and while the food is not the best, The Lair does serve a great burrito bowl. Overall, I have had a great first year and would seriously recommend High School seniors to take a look at the college.

My classmates are mostly Caucasian, in Greek organiations, and majoring in the sciences.

If I had the chance I would advise myself to not be so shy when I start college and to take a wider variety of classes to make choosing my major easier. I'm pretty introverted; I had a great opprotunity to connect with students at my current college while I was in high school, but I rarely connected with people the way I would have liked to. I'm also terrible at decision making. Since freshment year I was toggling between majors: art, economics, art and economics double major, business, history, film studies, business with a minor in Chinese, art with a minor in Chinese. Now I'm an environemtal studies major (weird, right?)

Architecture, academics, campus size, new student programs

Rhodes has a small campus and a small student body when compared to other state and private schools. You are able to recognize most people by face if not name and this establishes a real sense of community amoungst the students. Since the student body is so small the professors are able to give each student personalized attention in order to help them understand sometime confusing topics. The administration is very much concerned about their students doing well and strive to help the students be their best on campus and off.

If I could give my high school senior self advice, I would tell her not to sweat the small stuff. I spent so much of my high school career worrying about stupid things like popularity and sports and boys that I let the important things fall behind. I would tell her "people don't give you nearly as much thought as you think they do." Constantly worrying about what everyone else thinks of you can wear you down emotionally and physically. Life becomes extremely stressful and looking back now I realize how silly I was for worrying about things that don't really matter. I would tell the high school me that in a year I would have the best friends I could ever want and they love me because of my brain and personality and don't care if I'm wearing the latest fashions or dating the cutest boys. In high school it's easy to get caught up in the petty everyday things. In doing this we just make life harder and lose sight of the things and people who really matter.

My professors and campus administration working with individuals to bring the best out in the students. The whole campus strives to better themselves in the school community and in the city off campus. Rhodes is full of students the work together in order to better the greater Memphis area.

Jacqueline

I would tell myself to start at a West Georgia Technical College to save money for the future college I plan to transfer to. I would also tell myself to start the scholarship search earlier, rather than waiting until I’m close to transferring. Lastly, to study more and get more involved in sports, clubs, and other organizations.

Rhodes College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.