Rhodes College Top Questions

Kristine

At Rhodes, over 50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of students are involved in greek life--it's a really good idea to rush here because you meet so many people. Some of the parties are open but greeks usually don't attend open parties as heavily as non-greeks. I'm involved in a sorority and have enjoyed the experience. Rites of Spring and Homecoming are probably the biggest campus-wide events--Homecoming is in the fall and Rites is in the Spring. During Rites of Spring, Rhodes hosts several big-name bands for a weekend of music. During this weekend, Rhodes also hosts an even for local children called Rites to Play, where students work carnival style booths for the kids (there are also huge inflatable toys as well). It all makes for a great weekend.

I'm president of the Rhodes Activities Board, which is the major programming board on campus. We plan and execute a lot of the larger programs on campus, including Midterm Study Breaks (with chocolate fondue fountains), the Homecoming formal, and Rites of Spring (our spring concert festival; we bring in lots of big-name bands for students to enjoy for free). We also collaborate with other student organizations to co-sponsor events on campus, such as the Society of Physics Students' Frozen Pumpkin Drop around Halloween. It's a lot of fun- you learn a lot about planning large-scale events and work so many different departments on campus, and you also get to enjoy the fruits of your labor when your event runs smoothly. RAB holds smaller events too, like Trivia Nights in our on-campus pub, that also draw sizeable crowds.

greek life=50{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of student body but it can feel like more when the only thing to do on campus on a friday night is a frat party. that much said the college is getting better about having/sponsoring other events and those are becoming increasingly more well attended. athletics are some but not a lot. there's stuff to do in the city of memphis too so the weekends are a good time to get out of the rhodes bubble and blow off some steam before hitting the books again. In freshman dorms students often leave their doors open, and some on the weekends too. Athletic events aren't that big a deal; guest speakers get some people because they're usually sponsored by a department that makes its intro level students go but i've learned interesting stuff from those. theater, or the improv group on campus at least is pretty good. dating scene-depends on who you ask. met my closest friends by living near them or in an organization with them freshman year. if awake at 2 am on a tuesday probably studying, maybe pulling an all-nighter for your paper due the next day that you just started or cramming for a hard test. traditions and events are usually parties/concert-themed. people party in varying amounts. last weekend, hmm, parents weekend, nothing to exciting to report back on, but it was good to see my parents. on a saturday night without drinking you can go to dinner with friends, go see a show at the orpheum (theater downtown) go to a party sober and laugh at all the people who won't remember anything the next day, catch up on sleep, get ahead for classes (yea right...)

There are always frat parties to go to if that's your thing - but if it's not, there are plenty of other things to do and people to hang out with. Usually, my friends and I would hang out in the common room of our dorm or go out to dinner together. There are so many awesome restaurants around Memphis!

Partying is mainly a weekend ordeal. There are on-campus fraternity parties from time to time; however, those have dwindled over the years. However, Rhodes is in Memphis, and there is always plenty to do. Concerts, bars, shows, Menphis has it all!