Rhodes College Top Questions

If I had the chance I would advise myself to not be so shy when I start college and to take a wider variety of classes to make choosing my major easier. I'm pretty introverted; I had a great opprotunity to connect with students at my current college while I was in high school, but I rarely connected with people the way I would have liked to. I'm also terrible at decision making. Since freshment year I was toggling between majors: art, economics, art and economics double major, business, history, film studies, business with a minor in Chinese, art with a minor in Chinese. Now I'm an environemtal studies major (weird, right?)

Sooji

Don't put things off until later. Seriously. You'll regret it.

If I could give my high school senior self advice, I would tell her not to sweat the small stuff. I spent so much of my high school career worrying about stupid things like popularity and sports and boys that I let the important things fall behind. I would tell her "people don't give you nearly as much thought as you think they do." Constantly worrying about what everyone else thinks of you can wear you down emotionally and physically. Life becomes extremely stressful and looking back now I realize how silly I was for worrying about things that don't really matter. I would tell the high school me that in a year I would have the best friends I could ever want and they love me because of my brain and personality and don't care if I'm wearing the latest fashions or dating the cutest boys. In high school it's easy to get caught up in the petty everyday things. In doing this we just make life harder and lose sight of the things and people who really matter.

I would tell myself to start at a West Georgia Technical College to save money for the future college I plan to transfer to. I would also tell myself to start the scholarship search earlier, rather than waiting until I’m close to transferring. Lastly, to study more and get more involved in sports, clubs, and other organizations.

Kiera

I would tell myself to consider meduim size schools in addition to the smaller schools I applied to. That is the one major regret I have about going to Rhodes--it was a great school, but it was small. I think it is important to consider that you grow into a school, and it's possible to outgrow it. That's what happened for me. I wouldn't necessarily choose a different school, but I would have at least given myself other options as far as size.

Kimber

Life- no boundaries, fresh out of the box, grade A life. That's the only way to encompass everything that I've gotten out of college- all of the victories, experiences, and memories right alongside the dissapointments, bad days, and sturggles. When I came to college, my life not only opened a new chapter, but it hit me in the face. My life began when I came here. I learned how to live on my own, learned what made me happy, and even learned how to learn. It almost seems as though everything thus far had been leading up to this one milestone. And once I got here, it was up to me what to make of it. So I embraced it! The wonderful oppurtunities, relationships, and wisdom have been innumerable. It has helped define who I am and who I want to be. Without college, I would feel unfulfilled, because it is the beginning of everything. And now that I've gotten to this milestone I have realized it's not getting through here that's important but instead it's the journey I take.

Wing

I was an immigrant from Hong Kong four years ago. My previous educational experience in Hong Kong had been dispiriting; therefore, I came to the United States hoping for a better educational environment for me to discover my gifted talents and career goals. The US did not disappoint me. When I was in high school, my teachers gave confidence for me on believing my capability. They helped me find out whom I really want to be. I want to enter the justice system to help people in the country and fight against crimes and unfairness.Therefore, when I joined Howard Community College, without any hesitation, I chose Criminal Justice as my major. Two years had gone quickly, and from HCC, I was able to deepen my knowledge on the U.S. justice system. It gave me a chance to understand how the system works and its limitation. I have found out that the poors and the minorities still face much unfairness in the legal system. It is, by then, I realize that I must continue my education in order to improve the justice system. Afterall, the Law is the ultimate weapon for us to persue justice, right?

Even though my college experience has only been for one year so far, I have still been able to manage to find many things that I have become valuable to me because of this past year. For my past year I have had to learned to adopted to my many different type of schedules that I would have to make on a daily basis. This has taught me excellent time management in ways of planning accordingly for schedule advents and also being able to manage my time for many of the unexpected events that comes my way from a day to day basis. The biggest valuable experience that I believe I have received from this past year is the way that college has let me realized that it is time to move on for me. I believe that it is a reality check for myself to realize that you will only get out of life for what you put into it. Another thing that i have learned is that no one else will do it for you anymore its time to grow up, move on, and make your life for yourself. Theses are just some experiences college has taught me.

Allie

Coming to Rhodes has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. The school itself is breathtakingly beautiful; the Gothic architecture earns it frequent comparisons to Hogwarts. The campus is filled with highly driven individuals who truly care about their academic experience. However, Rhodes does not seem to be as competitive as some schools, and tends to have a more laid back atmosphere. Rhodes has been an incredible experience so far. In my time here I have already been given opportunities that I would not have gotten at any other institution that will truly change my life entirely.

Don't be afraid of the unknown: college is liberating and mind-altering! It is not like anything you've ever experienced before - it will feel like a step into real life and into a newfound independence. In everything I do, I'll be responsible for the consequences - parents aren't there to stop you or bail you out. It'll teach me to think before I act, as well as take risks that maybe I wouldn't ordinarily. Do what I've always wanted to try - maybe being a radio host on campus radio, or studying in places I've only dreamed of, like Russia. Be open to all the different people I'll meet - they each have a perspective that reflects a different part of this great country and the world. Remember - I'll be as interesting to them as they are to me. My professors are people too - they're ready to help me succeed and I get to mine their fantastic brains for 4 years! And stick to my own internal honor code. If I do it right, college will be the best time of my life - I'll soar to the limits of my imagination!

Making friends is great. You are not going to have a problem with that. But don't be afraid to make even more friends than you initially will. Breaking out of that bubble will eliminate the high school feel of attending a small campus. By intertwining yourself with more eclectic groups of people around campus, you will make yourself happier and improve your networking skills for the future. It is vital to learn these types of skills early. A degree is very important for the future, but so is knowing the right people. By combining your education and people skills, you are almost guaranteed to be sucessful in your life. I'm not suggesting you go out and get crazy every weekend at parties, but just make sure you aren't closing yourself off to people who could potentially determine your future. Take this advice seriously, and your will go far.

YaVette

I would tell myself to not get in the mindset that college is easy. It is not what everyone assume. Getting into college is not the end, yet the beginning. You must work hard and attend as many, if not all, classes as possible. Don't start your college adventure off bad, do all work and never procrastinate because it will bite you in the butt later. Do not give in to pressure of partying every night because it is not good for your health and more than likely your grades will suffer as well. It is possible to have fun and do well in classes; however, you must manage you time and make wise decisions. Nonetheless, don't stress too much because college is suppose to be fun considering afterwards you must get a job and officially become an adult!

Be careful to make your own decisions, for your own reasons, and only when you're ready. Don't be swayed by other people's ideas or actions. However, try to keep an open mind and be accepting of other people.

Before you run off to college understand that change is a constant and natural occurrence. Change should happen naturally, on its own terms, in its own time. In four years you wont be the same person you are now, and as of right now you don?t know where you'll be in four years. So In anticipation to the open ended future ahead, keep an open mind. Don?t try to push yourself in any particular direction. Don?t make early commitments. Don?t limit your social scene to your comfort zone, because as you change so will this zone. Don?t try too hard to find a fit, let the fit find you. Transitions in life should be welcomed without expectation so that all oppurtunities can be considered. You dont want to miss out on any for the future you. Dont join that fraternity. It will attempt to define your on campus character, but i promise you that not even eight months from now it might not be such an accurate description of who you really want to be.

I have been incredibly happy with my college decision, and I was definitely fortunate enough to have a mother who understood the true value of education, how vitally important the college experience is to a driven student. The main reason many of my high school friends remain unhappy with their college choices is in part due to the rising costs in institutions of higher learning. Essentially, they made the financially safe choice, instead of their ideal choice. Although this works for some people, I would urge against that. As corny as this may sound, I would advise parents to let their children follow their dreams, and allow them to make the college choice that would provide the most meaningful and engaging four years of their lives. I believe that my time at Rhodes has made me understand how important learning is to me and how much I want to utilize this knowledge to not only allow me to survive in adulthood, but to thrive in it. Drowning a student in an unsuitable environment may be economically advisable, but it might ultimately deprive that person out of an incredible self-learning experience.

Carrie

Visiting websites and looking at brochures are good ways to narrow down your list of potential colleges, but nothing can compare to visiting your favorite schools in person. When you set foot on the school that is right for you, you will feel right at home. Visiting a college will tell you much more about what it is really like than simply reading the information published by that school. Look at the students; if they are happy at their school, it will show. It is also wise to visit a college before you even apply to it. College visits demonstrate that you have a real interest in attending that school and a note of your visit will be made on your application. The interest you showed could make the difference between your application being accepted or denied. Once you are accepted to a school you have already visited, you will be more prepared to make your final decision on which school to attend. Then, the only thing left to do is to enjoy every minute of it. Going to the right school for you will allow you to be comfortable and happy, even in a totally new environment.

Ilan

Spend the time visiting and researching each school extensively. Don't rely on one visit and work of mouth.

Josie

Finding the right coolege is crucial in the quality of life that you or your child will expereince in the next four years. Choose somewhere that can really help you reach your career goals. Try not to concentrate so much on the social atmosphere of any place, because almost any school can provide you with excellent social activities. When considering different schools, attend classes if possible and meet with the professors. Be prepared to do plenty of research into lots of different schools in order to choose the right college.

Charlotte

I would say look for a school that requires or encourages outside service and volunteering. I wouldn't ahve done it if my school didn't encourage it, but I am so glad I did as far as scholarships fo and because of what I learned from doing them. Also ask about how good your school is at hooking students up with internships and careers once school is over. Also it helps to think about where you want to end up after school and try and go to college in that area because chances are thats where you will be making the best connections while at school.

Really consider what the prospective student values most -- whether it be academics, student diversity, or professor interaction. I also think location of the school is incredibely important. I wish I would've chosen a larger college as well.

Go with your gut instinct. Don't let anyone else make the decision for you. If they persit remind them it is not their life to lead and you need to make your own choices. Life your life to the fullest extent.

Mohammed

While it may seem overwhelming at times, the key to finding the right college is, in my opinion, quite simple: a visit. Though not any ordinary visit with the stereotypical "quick tour" of the campus; I'm referring to a visit in which a prospective student stays overnight for a day or two with a current student from the college. This way, a person is best able to get the "full experience" of the college and invision themselves spending the next four years of his/her life there. Obviously, this concept opens the door to a unique way to peer into a college; one with which a magazine article, online resource, or survey question will always pail in comparison. In retrospect, as a commuter student to a small liberal arts college, the one thing that I have envied most of my fellow peers was their availability and access to extracurricular activites on campus. Over the years, I've become more active with volunteering, intramural sports, and fraternity life - all of which have made me enjoy my college experience more and more. For this reason, I have been a strong advocate of extracurricular activities on campus, especially to my fellow commuters.

Elisha

Don't just think about what you want at the time of applying -- look farther down the road and make sure you pick a place you will be happy with in the future as well.

Cristina

When it comes to finding the right college, my strongest advice would be to start early! Research as much as you can and rather than focus on the prestige of an institution, focus on what it has to offer you. Be honest with yourself about not only what you want from a school but what you need from a school--variety of majors, proximity to home, social atmosphere, and city location are just a few major deal breakers. Visit as many school as you can; it really helps you get a better feel for the place and can help you envision yourself there--or realize it's not a great fit. Once you've chosen a school, embrace the next step in your life. The summer before you arrive on campus, utilize social networking sites like Facebook to get to know your new classmates; it's a great and easy way to break the ice. Once the semester starts, embrace new challenges and ideas. College can be a time for immense growth. Be prepared to push yourself.

Ton

Visit the college and talk to the students there. Don't stress out, college really is what you make of it.

First, one of the best ways to find the college that is the right fit for you would be to visit several colleges that are different--but all of which appeal to you--and stay the night with a current student of that college. This way you are able to see the college, not through a visitor's perspective, but through the students' eyes. You should start this visiting experience early so you will not feel rushed to make a decision immediately but, instead, you can weigh your options. Also, think about what size city you are interested in because location really matters. Do not choose a college based solely on the beauty of it but rather the atmosphere and general personality of the students. After you choose a college and end up there, sometimes you think that it is not the right one for you. Instead of transfering ten times try to wait it out and get involved in a variety of activities. Oftentimes you find that you just feel a little scared because of this giant step, but if you do something to stay active you will find that you enjoy your college experience a lot more.

Lily

Make sure you visit the school before deciding on it. Seeing the college in person can make a tough decision much easier.

Sabrina

College is a personal decision. Listen to what the people who know you want, but know that the decision of what college you attend is ultimately yours. College is your personal opportunity to get the skills you need to make a difference in this world and enjoy yourself while you are doing it. Always aim high and dedicate yourself to the choices you make, but learn how to have fun. Academics isn't everything, but neither is a social life. Learn to be yourself. Try out who you want to be before you debut it to the world after college. This time is a time for you to figure out who you are, what you want, and why you want it. Make the most out of every day...besides, you're paying for it. Your future is in your hands, so buckle down and take charge. Dont forget to make friends, stay true to your values, and try a whole bunch of new things. You will be happy you did. This is your investment in yourself and one of the most important ones you can make, so congratulations on taking this step!

Do your research; talk to students and faculty, look at a place before deciding.

Go where it feels right. Don't settle because it's close to home or because you've heard it's easy.

Lee

The best thing to do is narrow down your choices at the beginning. There are too many schools out there and looking at all of them is overwhelming. Look around but only apply to 5-7. That way you don't have to make a finally decision from 20-something schools. Also, make sure to visit all the schools you apply to. Some of the major factors in my choice were based on my experience being on campus. Try to stay over night at your top choices, preferrably during the school semester on a Friday or weekend. That way you get a taste of what your college life could potentially be like.

Albernie

I would say that parents should leave this process up to the students. It should be something that parents are involved in, but they cannot make the decisions for their children. This could be devastating for their career. I would also tell parents to support their children during school. Call often, inquire about life, and encourage them to press on. Sometimes, college can be very frustrating, academically and socially. It's so important that the student feels supported. I know that makes all the difference for me. For students, I would say that college is only what you make it. If you say that you won't have fun or meet any people, then you won't. Be positive, expand your horizons, keep your mind open to new things. Don't just hang around the same people all of the time. Enjoy your time at school, and don't stress over every little disappointment, because there will be many. Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Thank you.