Houston, TX
Rice University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rice University

Sofia

Peole I'm grateful to have met.

Peole I'm grateful to have met.

Location, location, location. Take time to consider the area where you will be spending the next few years. Would you prefer to live in a small towns or a city? Do you like the beach or is snow more your thing? Most importantly, what kind of environment do you see yourself thriving in? What surroundings would be most conducive to your personal and academic growth?

The college system by far makes Rice unique. It is this system that makes the student body very inclusive.

You should definitely visit the school and see when you're there, whether or not you can see yourself going to school there. That's what I did, and that was how I fell in love with Rice.

Currently the administration seems out of touch with the student body.

Lisa

My school is academically-minded, but the students here still know how to make learning interesting and how to party on the weekends.

Make sure you can picture yourself at this college/university. Also, keep in mind that you may not be able to use/involve in all that the college/university has to offer. So, don't necessarily look for the college/university with the most resources or opportunities. Think practically of what you would like to do once in college/university and what you will have the time to do.

Someone who is interested in getting a good education and is motivated to make good use of such an education, but is also well-rounded enough to explore other facets of the college life.

Austin

My school is a quirky, unique place that attracts ridiculously intelligent applicants and challenges students to excel in everything they try to do.

While you can never know everything about a university without actually attending it, I found it most helpful to visit the colleges I was applying to. Yeah, rankings and statistics can be indicative of how well a school will prepare a student for the "real world", you've really got to visit the campus and talk with real students about what the school is like. Even after visiting a college, it's hard to tell which one is the perfect fit. I picked my school based on the fact that it was in a particular region, and it's been the best experience of my life. Maybe I just got lucky; probably not. Ninety-nine times out of one hundred, you'll end up loving the college you enroll at. Once you get to college, do what makes you happy. Studying is important, but making friends and doing something that interests you is just as necessary. If you want to sit in your room reading textbooks all night, go for it. If you want to party every night, do it. Find a balance, do what you want, and it'll all work out in the end.

I wish I had known how seriously I should have taken AP exams.

Rene

Rice has amazing faculty members and lots of resources for students who are dedicated and want help. There are many opportunities for one-on-one interaction with faculty and independent research projects. The school is basically supportive of anything a motivated student might want to do, from study abroad an entire year to conduct research to present this research at conferences around the country.

Rice students are very studious and serious about their work. That said, many are too serious about partying too. Orientation week can be an opportunity to meet friends that you will have for your entire life, but if you are placed into the wrong orientation group or you don't like the social atmosphere at your "college," you may find yourself feeling isolated and be left without the resources to meet others and make new friends.

College is a time to stretch yourself; it is a time to find a new definition of comfort. It is a whirlwind of challenges made worthwhile by triumphs. It is a time to answer questions, but also a time to ask more. Allow yourself to be confident in uncertainty. I remember those hectic days as a senior in high school, scrambling to write the perfect college essay then trying to ace my admission tests the next weekend. I remember sitting around the dining room table surrounded by glossy college catalogs, armed with my mental checklist and my desire for a beautiful library and a comfortable campus. I saw the perfect college experience as an image of myself studying under a tree with a blue sky above, my trusty textbook below, pausing long enough to greet a professor--who knew me by name, of course! Although my time at college wasn?t exactly like I imagined, I did study under a tree once or twice (while studying abroad in Peru) and I certainly had plenty of friendly, supportive contact with my professors. Things may change, but that?s okay. Set the pressure and competition aside and just let yourself BE.

Alicia

The college system! There's an instant community for every student, if they want it. Plus, we're wacky in some ways (Beer Bike, Baker 13, dressing up statue Willy)...

Investigate. Talk to students that have the major yor are involved in extracirriculars you're interested in. Consider expenses. Are you willing to go into debt? Can you pay off debt when you graduate? What do you want from college? Just an education? An experience?

Someone not interested in class. Everyone here is academically strong or works hard.

David

The most important factors in finding the right college are the college's strength in the major(s) you're interested in, the college's social fit, and whether it's actually practical to go there. Telling whether you'll be happy somewhere socially is the hardest, but possibly the most important. Even if you don't go somewhere that's best for your major, if you can stay energized because of the people around you, you can make up for it; contrariwise, you could go to Harvard or MIT, but if you end up unhappy with the place or the people, you probably won't succeed. To tell where is the best fit for you, you probably need to actually go there, talk to people, and take in the atmosphere. And get lucky. Once you get to college, you've gotten past the easy step. To really enjoy college, you'll need to do as much as possible in a place where you can make hundreds of new friends and learn more than you've ever learned in your life. The best, if impractical, advice I received was, "go to sleep late, wake up early; do everything."

Right now, the most frustrating thing about Rice is the irregular availability of course schedules. I couldn't plan my next semester well because I didn't know in advance which classes would overlap or even be unavailable until only a few weeks before the end of the current semester.

The different academic departments seem to have authority over most practical matters, yet be run by staffs with little incentive to solve problems or offer advice. I've personally spent 2 weeks trying to declare my major for the 2nd time (the office lost the form and all record of its existence the first time), and the same office decided that it wouldn't offer transfer credit to a student after he transferred to Rice--at which time they said he would receive credit. Of course both of these problems were eventually resolved, but at a huge cost of time.

Denise

We are not the typical nerds. We are definitely nerdy but we also keep our cool about us. We are fun out going and easy to get along with. Everyone is open to do new and interesting things and everyone is willing to get to help each other out with studying and learning.

The most important thing that students and parents can do to make the best choice they can possibly do when trying to find their best fit collge is too keep in mind all the things that they expect and want the college to provide. It's important to choose a college for it's fit to the student rather than purely based on academic prestige. A good way to decide on a college's fit is by visiting a college before or after being accepted as a prospective student and trying out classes at the college as well as social life and other college-student activities that exist. The College experience should be about finding ones passion and their purpose in life, whether the college is a good fit to the student greatly affects whether the students' ability to grow and learn.

The math classes at Rice are really great. The History Department at Rice is also really wonderful. The Professors are easy to talk to and are extremely willing to help students that need some extra help. The College Dormitory system at Rice is unique and an excellent part of what Rice is all about. and helps you easily become integrated and feel part of Rice.

Rice University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.