Rice University

« See more reviews of Rice University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Well, there are always those "athlete" "pre-med" and "academ or engineer" stereotyping, but stereotypes that are unique to Rice are "smart nerdy kids" and "socially inadequate". On the other hand, we are also perceived sometimes as "snobby and rich", which doesn't quite give an accurate picture of the demographics at Rice.

I've heard Rice students variously (sometimes contradictorily) described as brilliant, socially awkward, nerdy, strange, upper-class, middle-class, ugly, apathetic, prudish, drinkers and secular.

Rice is for smart nerds. Even though you live in a warm climate, you never see the sun. We are the smartest in the South, but we're too drunk to attend half our classes.

Rice students are nerds that cannot do anything but study - they are awkward and generally cannot function in society. They are socially inept outside of academia.

Rice students are stereotyped as being bookworms -- you know, people who spend their entire life in the library and don't interact with the real world.

You are smart. You'll land a good job upon graduating and make a lot of money. You are diverse and open to new things (i.e. political correctness).

Rice students are extremely nerdy and never come out of their room from studying. They are in the library 24 hours and are mostly social inept.

Rice students are hardcore, work hard, party hard, are mostly nerdy, extremely unique, and love the word "free."

Some common stereotypes of Rice students are that we are smart, anti-social, strange, Asian, and wealthy.

A lot of people think Rice students are nerdy and awkward, unattractive and socially inept.