Rice University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Rice University

Tensae

Rice is a great school. Because it is still new however not many ppl know it so don't expect everyone to say "WOW" when you tell them you go to Rice. The name sucks to be honest, it is a food. Rice is most famous for STEM so chances are that is what you are planning to study. I am a bioengineering student and I love it! It is really hard but STEM is not easy no matter where you go. You have brilliant classmates all around you so you will do fine. Academic aside, our sports teams are pretty trash. Our football team is actually laughable and our basketball team is a joke too. Rice is not too diverse to be honest. Of course there are minorities and stuff but you only see them on the demographics pie chart (haha). Because throughout the semester everyone has their own classes and schedule, you won't see other minorities that often so it will feel very not diverse. There are way too much international students from South East Asia in my opinion. I think there are twice as many international students as African Americans. The school campus is very small and I like that. You don't have to run as fast as you can to the other side of campus for a class like you do in public schools (shoutout to UMD) . Rice has a small undergraduate population so it is very easy to meet people. A few months into freshman you will recognize a lot of people on your way to classes and get a lot of high fives which feels pretty cool. By far the best part about Rice is the residential college system. If you read Harry Potter, we basically have houses (11 total) like Gryffindor. Students are randomly placed into the 11 houses and they stay there until graduation. Your first week as a freshman is called O-Week and it's super fun! Basically they spend the entire week teaching you to love your house and hate all the other houses. You meet all the freshmen in your house and it's just a blast. They start planning O-Week an entire year in advance so that shows you how much the administration cares about it. On the other hand, O-Week is really artificial and is not a good indicator on how every week at Rice will be. You will have a lot of homework and studying to do throughout the weeks so it won't be all fun. Rice is actually a really academically difficult school. There is very little grade inflation like they have at the ivies so your gpa will be tough. You do need to work hard and study excessively but fear not! If you are motivated and use the resources available to you effectively, you will excel! Let's see (jesus I typed a lot lol). Parties. We are not known for them. Our parties are not too bad. That said if you go to a public school our parties are nothing like yours. It's mostly just a bunch of drunk asians jumping up and down to EDM. Since Rice is tough to get into, most of the kids were nerds in high school and did not party so they are really excited to party in college and think our parties do not suck but as someone who is familiar with a party scene, our parties suck. Good thing is there are never drugs going around or being put in people's drinks so don't worry about that. Weather- never too cold, coldest it's been last year (2015/16) is around 60 Farenheit. Hottest is around 90 Farenheit. It's usually in the 70s and 80s. It does rain like crazy though in the fall so make sure you have rain boots and a rain jacket/umbrella. Food - absolutely fantastic. literally can't beat it. We actually have the best food amongst US universities. You will be amazed. Freshman 15? Lol more like freshman 30 if you're not careful. Students are actually really fit which is nice to see. there are very few overweight students. Lot of people run and stuff. Dating scene- mostly hookups of course. Few serious relationships around (most last about 4 months). However a lot of people who go to Rice end up marrying another Rice student, I forgot the actual number but it's actually pretty high so who knows, you may find your match here. Greek life- we don't have any. Yay! ( or boo depending on if you want that) Academics- obviously fantastic. Honestly, once you get to the top 20 schools in the US, the differences in the quality of academics are really small. One tip: don't take General Chemistry here by all means. Do your best to take AP Chem and get a 4/5 on the Ap exam so you don't have to take that class at Rice. For reasons, I won't go into here because I have already made this review my dissertation, the class is absolutely, completely, the worst experience of almost every student to take the class. The professors are not on your side in that class, it is not curved, it is a nightmare from start to finish. Literally my biggest regret in life ( and trust me I have a few big ones) is taking that class. dont take it. Closing thoughts- if you made it this far, congrats! treat yourself with a cookie. Rice is great. I love it. I am so happy I came here. I have made great friends and it's no wonder Rice is rated #1 for student satisfaction. on my own advice, do not go to a school just because it is rated highly. Please go to a school where you feel at home. I know a couple kids who transferred out of Harvard to their howmetown public schools because they hated the academic atmosphere at Harvard. You are doing yourself a favor by going to a school you love. Never choose a school without visiting it first. Ultimately, the shcool's name does not matter as much as what you do with your resources so no worries. And remember, no matter where you go, if you work your butt off, you can get anywhere in this life. My best wishes to you. I know you'll kill it.

emma

Rice is an amazing school. The residential college system helps you adjust to college and find a family and fantastic group of friends away from home. Because everyone is so friendly to each other within a college, you get to know a diverse array of students and learn about different cultures and viewpoints from each other. Rice students come from so many different countries (Singapore, Italy, etc.) and states. They represent a wide range of ethnicities, so you'll never feel singled out -- we have clubs for almost all ethnicities. On top of that, faculty accessibility, as well as research opportunities, are amazing here. Professors are top-notch, yet they still make time for office hours and are willing to stay after class to help you. Plus, for most classes, there are TAs for each residential college, so you can always get help if you need it. And the small class sizes make getting help and learning the material even easier.

Jessy

I love Rice University because it promotes an atmosphere of growth for every student through a collaborative environment. I feel so supported by not only the school but also my peers. There are so many opportunities to get involved on campus through extracurriculars and hobbies that you may be passionate about and also serving as a mentor to your peers.

Julia

Rice University is amazing! Although the intro classes can be large (the largest I have heard of was 200 people), many of my major-specific classes are quite small (less than 20 people). This makes the professors extremely accessible. Rice also has a really active student body. Students are encouraged to learn about a variety of issues and advocate for what is important to them.

Nicolas

I think Rice harbors a great community for anyone who has a desire to further their education. Rice is not an amazing academic institution, but it also works hard to create relationships with its surrounding community, and the other people who pass through the campus. It's small size and loving community make it a great place to get your undergraduate or graduate education.

Ceyda

Rice has been my dream school since I was 11 and I'm really glad that I got it. I love Rice.

Camille

I love Rice! It's a great community. The residential system is very unique and gives this out-of-state campus a more homelike feel. There are so many clubs and activities on campus. There are even clubs that focus on getting students off campus. Rice is as vibrant and full of opportunity as it's surrounding city of Houston, Texas. 10/10 would recommend.

Olivia

I'm so so glad I chose Rice over other top universities. It may not be as well known in the northeast (yet), but it has the perfect blend of stellar academics and friendly community. Everyone here is so nice and welcoming and there are numerous events throughout the year to take your mind off of studying!

Patrick

Rice is really a special place. From the moment I finished touring it two summers ago I knew it was where I wanted to spend the next four years. The residential college system is absolutely amazing. It doesn't feel inclusive like some greek life tends to be but it also fosters really strong relationships among those within your college. When meeting new people it's common to say what college you're from, as with the majority of students there's a certain pride in one's college. Additionally, there is a fantastic balance between recreation and academics. Rice students know how to have fun, the parties are great and there's something for everyone. But we also know when to have fun. There's a time and place for everything and amongst all the adventure and fun-filled nights we still maintain great academics and learn new things. Safety and diversity are excellent as well. With the on-campus police department and a >50% out of state population you can expect a safe and unique experience wherever you go on campus. Finally, the beauty of the campus is astounding. The overarching trees along the pathways filter sunlight and the architecture of the buildings is timeless.

Bryant

Rice University is an amazing school. The academics are world class. The social scene is not the most exciting, but the Residential College system makes up for it. The school is small in terms of student population, so there is a tight-knit community that makes you feel welcomed.

Hamdan

Amazing

Stephen

I came to know this school as a place for unique individuals who strive to push themselves farther, it is a competitive school but one comes to realize that the competition is more internal than external. I appreciate that aspect of this school the most, their focus is on the students and even though they used to be a segregated school their diversity as well as overall student support is significant.

Matthew

I love Rice. Although it is a really hard school that challenges you to the extreme, I am learning so much. My academic life and social life are coexisting and although I'm still trying to find the balance, I love this school so much. I think anyone will love Rice, especially if you love a community that is tight knit and caring for each other, even strangers.

Kylie

I have never been to Rice University, but I have heard much about it. I first heard of Rice University when they sent me an ad through email. I google Rice University, and found out it was one of the best universities in the country. I heard that they have a lot of great programs and would like to know more about them!

Luis

Rice is a great college to go to! I am extremely happy to be going to a college where I feel like I have found a family. The residential college system really helps you meet lots of interesting people who are always open to help you out or to just chat. The staff is also extremely friendly and ready to help.

Si Qi

Rice is the best place to go to ("Ivy of the South" according to some sources, and 5th place on Niche's 2016 ranking of best colleges in America)! You will find where you belong within the first week of class and learn in-depth about any subject you need to take/are interested in taking. All of the professors are super nice and down-to-earth, and everyone is very inclusive. We pride ourselves on our culture of care, and have friendly competition in spite of tough academics. We also know how to let loose with student-organized parties and events at just the right times. We'd love for you to join us!

Great school with a stellar academic department, the students and teachers alike, along with any other faculty, are simply phenomenal people, athletics rather poor however, as most students are focused on academics and social progress rather than attending athletic events.

Jackson

I am a visitor at rice university over the summer for an internship. The experience is great , the view is amazing, and the food is spectacular. I am working at the George R , Brown building and the building is always clean and cold even in the hot Houston weather. The people that I work with are also extremely nice and friendly.

Zinedine

Rice at first tries to stand out with its "Culture of care". However, you will find that many people do not care or have no idea how to help. Prime example is stress relief study breaks during finals which encourage stress eating rather than re-assessing course load (i.e. the cause of said stress).

Bella

seems like a good school

Lemuel

It feels like a place that I truly belong in. The atmosphere is calming and enriching, and since it is in a big city, there are many entertainment venues available. Rice University is a place where you can express yourself without being judged, and I enjoy an environment like that. Overall, Rice University is a great school and I hope to attend someday.

Wendy

Rice university is a very nice place, I like how everyone is treated there. The teachers, the principal, and students are all very friendly and welcoming. The campus is a calm and clean place. I would love to attend the school sometime in the future.

Evan

Rice is the upper epsilon of all univeristies. I would love to be an owl. The University is divided into 11 residential colleges (dorms) that you are “sorted” into before you matriculate. Usually you stay in the college for your entire time at Rice. Each dorm has its own governing body, committees, and, in some ways, personality. Additionally, each dorm is set up a little differently as far as rooms go. Some residential colleges emphasize double rooms with a private bathroom, others have suite set ups with shared bathrooms. They have 6 dining halls (called “serveries”) around campus. Although some are specifically designated for a particular college, you are welcome to eat at any of them. One aspect of Rice some people take issue with is the all-or-nothing style to the meal plan if you live on campus. With living on campus you must buy a full meal plan that covers all meals of the week (excluding Saturday evening, when the serveries close). The residential colleges and serveries offer a lot of opportunity for socialization and getting to know other people.

Aisha

Rice university is my dream college. I love the place, what it stands for and everything in it.

Sophie

Anyone can make Rice the right school for them. Between academics and arts and athletics and professional pursuits and social circles, Rice offers an abundance of opportunities to suit all kinds of interests– you just have to find them. If you get in, come. After your first Beer Bike, you definitely won't regret it.

Jin

Rice is a great school and is considered the Ivy League of the South! The students and teachers are friendly and go out of their way to help you. The academics are challenging but most professors are helpful and hold office hours. The residential college system is great; as a transfer student or incoming freshmen, upperclassmen, magisters, RA's, and HRF's are there to welcome you into their college. Rice is also close to the Texas Medical Center and the Museum District, which means there are many opportunities for internships and jobs in the medical field as well as fun places to explore in Houston!

Celeste

Amazing University with many opportunities for research. I love the feeling I get when I am around other students. Everyone is so welcoming and warm-hearted. I fit right in and no one is afraid to be a little quirky. The professors are also really open and I feel like there is only healthy competition around here.

When I first got to Rice, I'll be honest, it was nothing like how I expected it to be, and not in a good way. For instance, there are traditions I thought were weird and wasn't a huge fan of (i.e., O-Week, Baker 13, Beer Bike, Room Jack, etc.) and limited major choices since it's a relatively small and predominantly STEM school; it wasn't nearly as diverse as the high school I was coming from; our dining halls (known as “serveries”) are open during very rigid hours; everyone on campus is required to have the same full meal plan, and the quality of your on-campus housing, laundry facilities, and when/whether you’re required to live off campus is entirely dependent on which of the 11 residential colleges you’re randomly assigned to when you first arrive. But now that my time at Rice is almost over, I've come to appreciate many of its quirks and have realized that ultimately it's a campus where the quality of your experience is determined by how much you're willing to invest in it. There are tons of resources and opportunities students can take advantage of both on campus and in the wider Houston community--ones that I’ll admit likely wouldn't have been available to me at other institutions. Despite the academic rigor of classes and the seemingly constant stress that Rice students are under, the school has grown on me tremendously, and I genuinely think it’s a good place to be. Why? Because Rice is known for its culture of care, something that’s evidenced by the fact that the university truly does its best to provide for and take care of its students. You can receive academic support from the staff at Student Success Initiatives and free counseling and 24/7 emotional support from the Wellbeing Center. You can get your resume reviewed, a free professional headshot, and receive career guidance and help with finding and applying to internships at the Center for Career Development; you can improve your leadership skills through individual and group leadership training at the Doerr Institute, through the Rice IMPACT program or the Center for Civic Engagement; and you can lean on the group of 6 adults--known collectively as the A-Team and comprised of your college magisters and residential advisors--that live at your specific residential college. Rice’s culture of care also extends to peer-to-peer relationships. While Rice does allow students to serve as your typical TA or tutor, students at Rice can also serve in a variety of other roles in which they can contribute to the overall well-being or success of members of the Rice community--whether that’s by being a Peer Academic Advisor, Peer Career Advisor, Study Abroad Ambassador, STRIVE (Students Transforming Rice Into a Violent-Free Environment) Liaison, Residential Health Advisor, leadership facilitator, or Rice EMT. Students can also serve in various student government positions at the residential college or university level (i.e., Honor Council, University Court, and the Student Association) to further support their peers and make meaningful changes on Rice’s campus. And if being in an extracurricular activity without holding a fancy title or position is more your style, you can choose from over 100 registered student organizations to join that span pretty much any interest, topic or hobby you can think of. Plus, if you ever change your mind about adopting a leadership role, you can always take on one within an existing organization or create your own club. You can also create and teach your own college classes as an undergrad and enroll in the courses taught by your fellow peers for college credit. There are probably so many more opportunities and resources I’m failing to mention, but the point is, I feel like Rice really does have something for everyone, even if it may not be obvious at first or takes you longer to find your footing like it did for me. Despite the fact I will be transferring at the end of this semester to pursue a major in Communications, I can honestly say that I've grown so much as a person while attending Rice, and I think that's all anyone can really ever ask for from their college experience.