Richard Bland College of William and Mary Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Richard Bland College of William and Mary

Jasmine

It’s a great place. Everyone can find a place that fits them. Art is a big factor . Many opportunities such as jobs,internships, and more. You could consider this as your second family and home. Students are artistic and ambitious here. There’s no room for no success they have tutors in the day and night for students.

Aiyshanti

Even though it's a small junior college, there are a lot of interesting people on campus, full of basket cases, jocks, drug users, and people finally getting a taste of freedom. Some people here are all jitters one day, but all in your face the next. If you are in love with the small college population, which really is not for me, then this place is great for you. The dorms are apartment-style, so it would be a good idea to get acquainted with your suitemates (that vary from 1 other person to 7 suitemates) to decide who is bringing what, such as dishes, toilet paper and whatnot. If you guys happen to all enjoy cooking, you could always put aside a few days a night to enjoy a family feast in the kitchen while chilling in the living room. If you are afraid of starting a fire and don't care for the taste of ramen (eating it in college may be a stereotype, but most of the time, it's true), then you can go to the cafeteria which stays open from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm. Yet, the food is very repetitive, mostly serving cheeseburgers and ribs. Don't want constipation? Take the shuttle bus (which is really a van that can fit 10 people plus the driver) to Walmart, which is in a neighborhood filled with a Dollar Tree, Rent-A-Center, a nail shop, and hair supply store. Do not! I repeat, DO NOT try to unscrew your bunk bed from the wall. That will result in a $250 dollar fine. Besides, just think of the fun the top Bunkie will have climbing up and down each night (just kidding, it's a major disadvantage. My roommate fell off the top bunk in the second month here. Thank God for the whole apartment being carpeted). This place is like a second home, so you must take care of it. Cleaning would be very helpful in this case, since the R.A.s come in at least every two weeks to check the area. In my case, 4 people sharing a bathroom works out if everyone does their fair share and cleans and sweeps. While students are allowed cars, if you are staying on campus in one of the two residence halls, the walk from here to the SHHE building, Mcneer building, cafeteria, or the gym is 6 minutes total. When it comes to financial aid, annoy them! Talk their heads off. The office has a problem with getting back to people. If you call and leave a voicemail, believe me when I say that they will NEVER return your call. It's practically financial suicide if you don't meet with a rep face to face. The school does not offer many clubs, but it does have some very interesting meetings and social events. One time, this woman came with a falcon, owl, and bald eagle that did tricks! If you have a 3.5, you qualify for the Honors program, which gives you a $1,000 scholarship and the opportunity to take classes at the College of William and Mary. The professors are always available and will never lead you astray in their respective classes. They enjoy actually talking and learning about their students. Since RBC is in Petersburg, Va, there is not much to do off campus unless you want to go to the nearest mall, which is only 20 minutes away. The parties on the weekend are exciting. There are usually 3 or more parties happening simultaneously between the hours of 8pm-2am, so many people are forever "party hopping." This school is not as bad as I thought it would be, but when people ask if I like this college, my answer is "It will do for now." If you are a fan of country accents, then definitely come here. I was not shocked when I heard so many deep Southern accents in one area, but some people probably could not get use to it if they are from a different state.

Mia

Richard Bland College of William & Mary offers dual enrollment courses for High School students. They provide a safe, healthy and secure campus environment. The college faculty and staff are always available for students.

Diamond

In my opinion Richard Bland College is a great school for freshman students who want a college experience. RBC is the only two-year community college that offers dorms in Virginia. The class sizes are small, and the professors are always there to encourage and support your educational journey. Although it is a small campus we have great activities for students to get involved in. Currently I participate in the Alpha Phi Omega Club which provides students with community service opportunities to help students on and off campus as well as the surrounding areas. Even though this is my last semester at Richard Bland and I have made long lasting friendships with great people, and I have enjoyed my college experience there.

Hassan

Honestly it is not the worst place; being the only junior college in Virginia it provides such a great alternative from community colleges. For students like myself being on your own is something extremely important to me. That being said it doesn't feel like there is a huge amount of money circulating as everything besides the classrooms feels underfunded.

Andrew

What Richard Bland does really well is that they have a small class atmosphere and the faculty for the most part are amazing. What it does not have is a decent Financial Aid department. It is not uncommon for people to have to visit the Financial Aid office multiple times in one month to attempt to fix a problem that other colleges could have rectified within one meeting.

Madison

Richard Bland College of William and Mary is an outstanding junior college in Virginia. This junior college has a transfer agreement with every university in the state of Virginia. The atmosphere may be small, but you can feel the support and eagerness from the faculty and staff. The professors are very intellectual and excellent at teaching in various ways. Richard Bland is the best option for rising college freshmen who are looking for small class sizes, one-on-one learning with professors, and an easy transition from high school to a crowded university.

Richard Bland is an affordable school. They make efforts to make campus life better by adding more things to do on campus. The professors are great and helpful. They have many activities on campus for students. They even provide a shuttle bus to different places to get groceries, hair cuts, food, and to just get out and have fun.

Richard Bland has a very attractive and bright campus! The faculty/professors/workers are all very kind and add to the simplistic and easy vibe throughout the campus. I'm totally happy to be here! I would recommend the application of this school to anyone who wants to try out college, wants some sort of education under their belt, enjoys nature, and enjoys easy attainment of assistance, regardless of context!

Brianna

I personally did not enjoy my time at the community college. I didn't stay on campus and I drove to the school everyday then immediately went to work afterwards. As a community college, you would think they would be a little more accommodating to us who commute but it was the opposite. The students who stayed on campus were able to take higher level classes and obtain more scholarships and have more access to after class activities. They also have a sad arts program. I took place in the first play they hosted in 6 years and they could not even accept our budget of $200 to buy some costumes (so we found stuff in our closets that could possibly fit a medieval play), yet can send the soccer team and softball team to nationals. My professors had to spend money out of their own pocket, and though I would not change the experience for the world because I love the theatre professors and we put on a rather good, low-budget play (6 cast members, no tech crew), I am still rather upset at RBC for not providing us with any resources and making life more difficult for us. I only felt like I mattered within that play and in that theatre class. I did not feel like a student at RBC, only a number that was passing through. Still, the professors are high quality and provide great education. I more so did not like the institution of RBC.

Jamaica

Richard Bland College of William and Mary is overall a great school, it has its flaws, as all colleges do, some of which include the location with is very rural, making it hard to find a mall or restaurant nearby, but it is still great. It is a beautiful campus, especially for students in liberal art fields, there is plenty of inspiration from all the greenery. I would definitely recommend my college to others in need of a good education who still want to balance happiness.

Lataesia

The overall rating for the school is 10 Richard Bland college is an outstanding school for children to learn and understand the concept of the learning. The college students are very friendly and are always willing to help out. This school is all about achieving and helping the students strive fore greatness.