Ringling College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ringling College of Art and Design

Gissell

There a few stores nearby but some are pretty far. The dorms are a bit too small for three people. There are desks for each person and next to each desk is a ladder to climb up to your bed. The bed is close to the ceiling so it's not good for people who are claustrophobic and/or have anxiety issues. Faculty are very nice and try to help you to the best of their ability. The campus is really clean and everything is in well distance from one another. The classes weren't too big and the teachers are helpful and well informed. The food is pretty good and there is a variety. Overall, everything has been well so far.

Zoe

Ringling is not the typical college experience that you would expect to receive - and that's a good thing. Being an arts college, there are higher standards for skills that the average state college/university might not emphasize the importance of such as: Professionalism, Punctuality, and Respect. Ringling wants to prepare students for the real world by placing us in positions to work with clients and encourage seeking internships by helping students connect with employers in their field of study in a safer environment than if we were to seek them on our own. At the moment, I've rated this school 4/5 stars because I've only recently completed my first year here, and students further in the program tell me it only gets better. The only aspect I am iffy about is the student housing situation. They did not have enough housing for everyone that needed it even though they just opened a new building. They also tore down three old dorms to build a new one - which means less housing for new students. Besides that, I am ecstatic for the opportunities we will have next semester for upcoming projects.

Ian

Ringing College is outstanding when it comes to Motion Design/Graphic Design majors. Each of my professors are currently in their field of specialty so not only am I learning from the best, but I have relationships already developing in the industry. The campus is beautiful and the surrounding area is a coastal community with the best beaches.

John Michael

This summer, I was awarded a partial scholarship/grant to attend the very competitive RCAD PreCollege Animation Program, which I completed with honors. At RCAD, I learned that I still have so much to learn and there is truly a place for me! RCAD instructors have real industry experience which I value. Hope to attend as a college freshman Fall 2020.

Noah

Ringling is a very demanding college, homework starts before the actual classes start. That being said, if art is what you want to do, you're in the right place. All of the professors have worked or still are working in the field. In your freshman year you will have teachers who have worked on large projects for large companies such as Google, Apple, etc. What sets Ringling apart from other colleges is that the amount of on campus recruiters is very large, with different recruiter sessions each week from companies like Apple, Pixar, and Dreamworks.

Alex

It is a very good college for a student who wants to pursue their dream to be an artist. I found the school when I originally was in computer graphic classes in early high school. Once I moved into photography I saw that they had an amazing program for it. I have seen my work grow and improve. With the different classes I have expanded my possibilities of what I can do with my career once I graduate.

Kelly

As I complete my first year of college at Ringling College of Art and Design, I am

Avery

A wonderful campus. Class sizes are relatively small about 15-20 per studio class. Professors are either very good or get on your nerves due to lack of communications between class heads. Hammonds Commons has a good variety of food, but the quality is sometimes lacking. Outtakes is somewhat of a glorified gas station but overall has a good variety of food available for the meal swipe. There are few sports teams but some organized recreational sports. There's almost always something going on during the weekends if you're interested in partying you can usually take an Uber or Lyft over to New College for their weekly parties. Ringling is a very secure campus, you can almost always see a security guard or two if you're walking anywhere on campus. Everything is very close to campus so you never feel like you're walking anywhere dangerous, at night it can feel a little sketchy but the security guards are always out watching.

Chloe Siennah

I'm going to be attending Ringling College of Art and Design in the Fall. I've been to visit several times, done a lot of research, and spoken with students and faculty from Ringling. Based off of those experiences, I can say with confidence that Ringling is a great school with a ton of resources to offer anyone interested in seriously pursuing the arts. The teachers seem extremely kind and passionate about their work and readily available to be of help to students. You can tell they truly want you to succeed. The students seem happy, friendly, super talented, driven, and genuinely excited about the goals they're pursuing. The campus is clean and beautiful -- not overwhelmingly gigantic but certainly spacious, with more being built as we speak. The neighboring museum is absolutely amazing. Being on campus also feels very safe, which is a huge plus for me personally. Oh, and a weird added bonus: Quidditch? Harry Potter lovers? Overall, a really excellent choice for artists everywhere.

Erin

There are a lot of privileged and wealthy kids that get away with a lot more than they should. We've had problems with racial harassment without anyone getting expelled or removed from campus. There are a lot of incidents on campus like car break-ins and attacks. Although public safety is supposed to patrol the grounds 24/7, we get notified of these incidents at least twice a semester.

Abbigail

Ringling has a very intense and involved education system. They encourage students to take every opportunity, and offer a lot of opportunities. They have a lot of extra curricular activities every week; some are designed to allow you to cool down after a lot of stressful work, others are well designed workshops meant to advance your education. Ringling also have a really good alumni career program. Food on campus is all right, but after a while it gets dull. There is an eclectic group of cafes, restaurants, and fast food places to dive into just outside the school. Campus living gives you everything you need-- air conditioning, a place to wash your clothes, hang out spots, a bed to sleep on, and a place to put your clothes. Downside (or upside) is you share with either 1 or 2 other people. This is what may make the space feel cramped. Campus is generally very safe, however on the outskirts of campus there have been some skirmishes. Never involving students or faculty. All in all it is an amazing school with amazing programs.

gabby

I attended Ringling College of Art and Design's Precollege program in the summer of 2016 and I am now about to be a freshman. From my experience at Precollege I completely feel in love with the entire environment of the school and campus. I met friends of a lifetime and I was finally always surrounded by people just like me. I feel like everyone who is at RCAD was that art kid in high school that felt out of place. Ringling makes sure that you all feel welcomed, safe, and that you feel like family. Everyone from students to staff to the locals are nothing but friendly. The campus is stunning, It is forsake a place I love to now call home. Thank you Ringling for making me feel like I belong.

Kai

I love Ringling. I expect many people feel differently, your experience at Ringling will depend on your major. I'm a Computer Animation major. Ringling tends to put more funding and attention towards my major, so there's a lot of perks. The major also caps off at 95 students, though drops significantly, so there's always enough resources and teachers for everyone in the major. Other majors can face problems when it comes to this. But, I can only speak for Computer Animation. In my major, the teachers have to have at least 7 years of experience in the field before they can teach a CA class. We have teachers who've worked at Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks. The work load is crazy in the core classes, but it makes you improve very fast. Housing on campus is pretty good. The new facilities are amazing and the older ones are alright. Though they have been over accepting, so the dorms are a bit crowded. It's not worse than a lot of universities/colleges, but it makes bathrooms a little bit difficult when 6 people share it. The food isn't great. Lunch is good, dinner usually isn't. If you come early on a week day, it's usually pretty alright, but weekend dinners are usually bad. Except for their soups. Soup is always a trustable option throughout campus. The clubs are great, though they usually dwindle in attendance when the workload picks up. I like Ringling a lot. Anytime I doubt the love of my school, I watch senior thesis films and it usually brings it right back. It's so inspiring to see what they learned in only four years and makes me hopefully I'll learn it too.

Clonia

Ringling overall is a great school but a bit on the expensive. The school offers you various opportunities, but it is on the student part to partake in it. The dorms are not the best, but normally you do not hear your suite-mates. The classes are usually very informative, if you pay attention, and the size of the class is really great especially when you want to communicate with your teacher in the class. If you want to go this school and is having trouble with financial aid; I recommend you to try to get as many scholarships and get a job or a few to pay for this school because the amount of debt you may owe will be a lot, believe me.

Deanna

After a year here I feel I have gained a new perspective on Ringling. Truth be told this was my number one choice for academics,se. This school excels in its education and ability to get students work experience before graduation and providing a huge variety of companies to come in for recruitment. This school focuses intently on its media majors (Computer Animation, Illustration, Visual Development) and Motion Design. While I am in illustration, unfortunately I do not feel this school puts the same amount of energy into its other majors, at least in terms of immediate out of school employment. The facilities are amazing and while the school is small it feels lively and energetic and almost resort-like at times. This school does however provide a very hefty workload, so time management skills are a must (Ringling does offer services to help with scheduling and time management though). This school will definitely keep you busy and there is always an event happening on campus for when you're not. I believe the one true issue following the school is a sense of isolation. While the school itself may be amazing, there is almost nothing within walking distance to go to (there is a gas station and a burger king). The school is currently undergoing construction for it's rapidly growing class sizes making parking extremely limited and with very few on campus students owning cars getting to see the world off campus can be rather pricy and difficult. A reliable form of transportation is extremely recommended by students for this reason and for off campus classes. Overall my opinion of the school is somewhat the same as what I had coming in, pretty great. I have truly enjoyed my experience here and feel very secure in getting a job in the arts post graduation. I would recommend this school to anyone serious about getting a career in the arts, emphasis on the serious. If all that matters to you is your work then the friends come along pretty easily and this is the place for you. If a student is looking for a more traditional college experience I do not think Ringling is the place because you'll find the experience lacking in the social department. That being said Ringling does its best with it's given resources and are constantly looking for ways to improve the campus. Opportunities are given for your voice to be heard and to be active in campus decision making. There are tons of clubs to join and the students are very welcoming and engaging. It truly is a great environment to learn in, just find a way to get off campus every once in a while and you're golden.

Marissa

I would say that Ringling College of Art and Design is a great school for art majors. The only reason why I am leaving is that it's way too expensive. If the school was an affordable price, then I think more people would attend and not transfer like I did. I loved my education there, for I was constantly challenged and grew as an artist with every assignment. The community was tight-knit and felt like a second family to me which is something that is very important to a college and I strived in that kind of environment.

Evangeline

It is an amazing school where everyone is very accepting of everyone else, and students work very hard and teachers are very willing to help students. All of the people on campus are very nice including the staff and teachers, they are all accepting and very supportive.

Brianna

As far as classes go, I absolutely love it. I've learned so much about game art and design already, and I've only just finished my freshman year. The professors are all incredibly helpful and always make sure the students are learning and on track. Though it may be more expensive than other art colleges out there, I feel it is worth it for the quality of education provided.

Mathieu

Ringling college is a well-balanced, creative institution which provides students with the tools and expertise needed to succeed in a creative economy. It is an intimate, artistically motivated community where everyone is dedicated and striving for success in their creative careers.

Markella

Free to unleash the nerd that I’ve always been, I’m practically going to Hogwarts. But like J.K. Rowling’s Twitter account, I have some unflattering opinions. I’ve heard about incidents of racism on campus from my friends, and a straight (most likely) professor gave me unhelpful suggestions about a queer storyline I’m writing, though I believe his heart was in the right place.

Paula

RCAD is my safe haven. My whole life I have felt lost and this school has finally given me a steady step to stand on. The professors are not gate-keepers, they sincerely want to help and wish you succeed. The student body is diverse and there's a place for everyone. However, whoever wants to succeed must abide by the rules and try their hardest. This is not a place for easy A's and slacking. It is by far the best thing that has happened to me just yet.

Agustina

It's amazing! The community is so involved and full of positive support. I feel surrounded by equal-minded individuals that share my vision, it's very healthy. The school provides highly modern equipment and just about any resource an artist may need, it's all at our fingertips. The faculty always knows how to help and provide us the keys to doorways that hold opportunity. Overall I love being part of Ringling College of Art and Design.

RCAD is a school with several accessible sources to help with academics and studio projects. It's easy to make friends here because we're all there for similar reasons; having these friends is also beneficial it you're looking for honest critiques for upcoming projects and such. We also have opportunities to show our work in public projects and exhibitions, which will help later for when we pursue our careers.

Macy

I have learned so much from being here, and my instructors constantly push me to work my hardest. I've grown so much as an artist. As an on campus student, I love living on campus and I feel incredibly safe with 24/7 access to public safety officers. My future is bright with the aid of career services, and the amount of experience gained through the school.

Deanna

The Ringling College of Art and Design is an incredible school; great faculty, amazing resources, and provides lifelong help even after your four years are over. This does not come without its caveats though. The school is incredibly overpriced. You are essentially paying for small class sizes, however it is evident that the school is exponentially outgrowing its own campus. With increasing class sizes, the two block big campus has found itself overflowing. Housing priority goes to the freshmen, and it can be extremely difficult to get housing in the years after. Also given how the school is so small, there isn't much around the area, only a Starbucks and a gas station across the street, so students strongly encourage personal transportation. That being said, if the arts are something you are truly passionate about doing, this school has all the resources you could dream of and does everything it can to ensure you are employed right out of graduation. If you are serious about your craft, and are ready to dedicate your time to it, this school is the best to go to.

Casey

Ringling has become my home away from home. When I first arrived I was surprised at how kind, and accepting everyone was, from the upperclassmen to my fellow freshman. It was if I had finally found my people. At Ringling you can be whoever you want to be. It's a hub for self-expression that allows you to let all your wacky skeletons out of the closet. The students at Ringling are some of the best people I have ever met, and the professors were equally as pleasant, accepting and easy to talk to. They constantly challenged us. As artists, and designers they constantly push us to go above and beyond what we are able to do. It is always about improving, and expanding the knowledge, and skills of others. Ringling has never been a competition of whose work is better; Ringling is a collaboration of designers, and artists who are both students, and professors working to make everyone succeed. To be better than they were before they arrived at Ringling. The resources are all at our fingertips as we all work together in the labs and lean over to a random stranger to critique your work, or sending an email of your work to a professor at an ungodly hour to have them respond in minutes wondering why we were awake, but also giving great suggestions. Ringling will forever be a home for artists who wish to grow as designers while making long-lasting connections between friends and faculty.

Sam

The school is definitely well funded and has really helped in improving my skills; mainly in my artistic abilities. The school has done an excellent job on doing one on one learning and helping other students. I feel that the school does as much as possible for the students and works very well.

joeniz

My overall opinion is that it is a really great school and most of the teachers know what the students what to learn about the major they want to do. Also, there are many options for on campus housing. Plus, everyone at the college is really nice and loves the school.