Ripon College Top Questions

Addie

If I was able to talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to get ready to go full-steam ahead. I would reassure myself that I made the right decision for my college, following my gut was really the best way to go when deciding where I wanted to go to school. I would tell myself all about all of the things I have been able to accomplish in just 2 short years and I would talk about all of the plans and hopes I have for the future. I would encourage myself to push harder and do more with my senior year because those memories are some of the best I have from high school but I would also tell myself not to be afraid to jump in head first and make new memories at college. Overall I would just say keep doing what you're doing, follow your interests and your instincts, and never forget to open up and have fun!

Enya

The first thing I would tell myself is not to worry so much. Classes are a lot of work, but I can do it, and it’s not as hard as everyone makes it sound. There are long papers and tons of homework, but the environment is perfect for working on those kinds of things and makes it easy to focus. Plus, I am a lot stronger and smarter than I realize. I am brave enough to do the things that scare me and smart enough to not do the things that are bad for me. I will make mistakes but they are worth it for the learning experience, and as long as I remember that and not let it bother me so I can stay positive, I can do anything I put my mind to, even the things I have not yet dreamed. I do not need to be so self-conscious and reserved all the time. It only makes myself nervous disappointed and awkward. Don’t worry about making friends or weather people like you. Get involved with theater right away, focus on learning, make personal goals, discipline yourself, but most of all just smile and be happy.

Vinnis

The advice I would give myself is be more involve with after-school activities and have some experience in volunteering and sports. I wish I had taken some AP classes and pay more attention in class. I wish I was more involve in sports team and the clubs that it holds. I would advice myself to choose my college carefully and visit all the college that I choose before knowing which college to choose and look closely at what I want to major in.

When I enrolled as a twenty-six year old nontraditional student, I did not know what to expect from college. However, I was determined to excel and work hard. I took every assignment seriously, whether it was homework or a research paper. I studied more than I thought physically possible for every quiz and exam. After a semester, my grades spoke of this dedication. So I went into the scholarship office to ask questions, but instead had life changing questions proposed to me: "What do you do to give back? How are you involved at school and in your community?" This conversation opened my eyes, and I realized that I needed to put the same amount of commitment into helping others as I did pursuing high grades. I got involved. Although I continue to go above and beyond in my classes, I also aspire to empower fellow students and citizens. Attending college has taught me that sometimes the greatest successes are those you help others achieve. Good grades are important to the individual, but good character can be appreciated by the world. I will take this valuable life lesson with me as I continue on my academic and professional journey.

Dulce

So far, I am learning to be much more well-rounded - learning in a not-so-diverse community lke the one I am used to - as well as open-minded. I have been forced out of my comfort zone and into many challenging situations and this has only ade me reflect and grow. College can be a great experience if you walk in there, ready for anything and everything and motivated to learn in the classroom and outside the classroom.

Well in college you learn the materials necessary to fullfill the requirements of the job that you want as an individual. The experience of college was worth the amount of money that one has to invest in it in order to accomplish the necessary classes for whatever field an individual decideds to do. Most people are looking for jobs that without a degree would be hard to do, such as teaching, medical field, the biological field, physics, and more. People get a general idea of what different courses are during high school but by having a degree in a specific area, one can narrow in on more learning and understanding of the field and with this knowledge they can apply it to the careers that they want. It is valuable to attend college because people need this extra understanding and study to know more about the career choice they want so that they can accomplish the job to the best of there abilities and college helps them open there minds and discover more in those choices of study.

Mara

What I have gotten out of my college experience is been a lesson all in itself. There are so many different people that you meet in college that they really do help you make your transition into the real world, they teach you haw to work with different people with different personalities and backgrounds that it really shows you how life after college will be. It has also been valuable to attend due to the fact if you don't you really are not going to make the grades, get the degree and get the job that you want.

In my short time here at Ripon College, I have no only learned a lot from classes, but I have also learned my life lessons. Experiencing living on your own, balancing playing a sport and going to school at the same time, and meeting many new and exciting people have all helped me become a better overall person. I have learned to organize my time better and prioritize in order to get the most I can out of college. Ripon has helped to open me up, putting me in situations that bring me out of my "shell" and I can honestly say that I have changed for the better.

Starting with a blank slate; mentally and physically is a great idea. Attending a new school means that you will have the opportunity to make friends you might not have had in high school, feel free to wear that shirt you have always liked but your classmates back home always teased you for, develop new ways to connect with people such as working out regularly and joining intramural sports. You will learn more about yourself by learning to open your eyes and mind and see the new world around you. During the first few days of college you will feel the urge to stay in your room; it is somewhere you are already familiar with. I urge you to fight back these feelings and explore outside your comfort zone. By doing this, you will inevitably find other people doing the same thing and just by accepting all of the emotions that come with starting college, you will see that you are not alone and other people are experiencing the same emotions. This mutual feeling of being in a new environment will make life time friends, no doubt. So feel free to grow a new pair of wings and fly.

Dawn

Just breathe. You always try to control the situation. That's not necassarily a bad thing, but for the next few months, don't. Just let things fall as they may and go with the flow. Don't second guess yourself. All that does is cause you unneeded stress. You made the right choice. Believe that. College may not be exactly what you expected but it will be so much more than that. It's not a fantasy; it's reality. There's nothing better than that. Enter high school was a hard, long, and difficult struggle. We both remember that. But at the end you knew exactly where you were and where you wanted to be. You're happy right now. I know change is hard and we've never been particularly open to it, but this change is different. History won't repeat itself. This won't be high school all over again. It's somthing much more than that. This is endless opportunity. This is a change that should welcomed. Open your heart and your mind and nothing will be too difficult for you. This isn't the end of the world. It's a beginning.

Gisela

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself would to be careful who you trust. I was very naive going into college, I was still stuck in that high school mode I'd say, but surely that changed immediately once school started. I was finally free to do what I wanted, without my parents there to help me with all my needs. So I relied and trusted the people around me, but that was something that would completely change my life. Because I had trusted those who I thought were my friends easily, yet they themselves one night freshman year roofied me; I immediately felt different and started to freak out. Thankfully I managed to crawl out of the room while my supposed friends laughed. I was sent to the hospital that night because of how intense the drugs affected my system that I nearly died. This trauma still hasn't stopped me from continuing my studies because I am determined to succeed, but hopefully my story can help prevent from this happening to others.

Elisabeth

I would tell myself to be open-minded and accept all opportunities. I would grasp every chance to expand my interests and not hesitate to involve myself in activities with others. I would tell myself to try my best every chance I got and to not let what anyone said or did, no matter who they are, sway me from doing any less than my best. I would encourage myself to take a deep breath and jump right in and have fun, start conversations with strangers, because that one time you do, you may just meet your best friend for life. I would tell myself to not take myself too seriously, to let go and have fun, to not care what anyone else thinks. I would tell myself to just be myself and that my college experience would end up being all I could ever imagine it to be.

Transitioning into college is the easiest thing you'll ever do, especially at Ripon. The Student Support Services do everything they can to make it easy, and the campus starts to feel like home in a few days. Everyone is really nice, and upperclassmen are usually more than happy to point you in the right direction if you somehow get lost. Ripon College is everything you want in a college, the programs are great, and the professors are awesome and really understanding.

I would have told myself to worry justy a little but more. In high school I was a football player and very good. I assumed that College would be essentially the same as high school. It is not. Its hard, and being smart isnt the only thing you need to make it through, you have to work hard, and I would tell myslef to work hard now, so that in the future at College it will be easier. Thats the most important lesson I can think of, to learn to work hard now, in High School, so that when college comes its no shock to have a serious work load.

Will

During my senior year I had an unimaginable workload--school work, extra-curriculars, and paid work. If I could go back I would tell myself to have really taken the college search more serious and to listen to my mom. In searching for colleges I did little to pursue scholarships or activley engage in communicating with colleges. Everynight my mom would bring up new and different colleges and I would brush her off, instead focusing on the situations at hand and not those in my near future. While I am happy with Ripon I would beg my high school self to have really intently looked at schools that had programs which would be of interest to me. I would have focused both on taking a closer look at academics, the location, and student life of the school. I would tell myself to apply to challenging universities, leaving areas I was familiar with and begining a whole new life. But that is all in the past, is it not?

If I had an opportunity to communicate to myself as a senior, I would say that I need to participate as much as possible and make sure that I get involved in activities and the community. I would be sure to tell me to get to know as much people as possible, to find friends with similar and different interests and opinions than myself and to not be afraid of just being myself. I would also tell myself that education is the reason that I am going to college, so I need to study, study, study! I would take this opportunity to remind myself to practice my spanish vocabulary and tenses because I will need a good review for the future! Spanish will be a hard course, work on your pronounciation and get extra help if you need it. This is the same for all of your future courses, take advantage of tutoring opportunities. Also, don't let anyone decide what your major is going to be for you. You will not be happy with a business major so don't get forced into accounting because it is a difficult class and it will end up bringing down your GPA.

Make sure you visit the college and get to know the staff. Make sure you ask a lot of questions and make sure that you will be getrtting the best in the opportunities that are out there for you at the school. Make sure you like it.

Melisa

The best way to find the right college is to be sure to visit and make sure you sit in on classes. A campus may look beautiful, but it's the people that you want to make sure you connect and fit in with. When you find the right college, you will know because it just feels right. Once you get to college, don't spend time trying to fit it. Colleges are diverse and just by being you, you will find a group to fit in with. Make sure to ask your professors questions. They are there to help and it really shows that you care.

The best advice I can give is to go into college with an open mind and be who you want to be when you get there. Make friends and don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone at times because the benefits will outweigh the nervousness or uneasiness you feel at first. Get involved in activities but make sure you put the necessary time and effort into your homework and study time in order to get the best grades possible. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help because there are plenty of willing people which will make your overall experiance better and more enjoyable. But more than anything else, have a good time and live your life because once you graduate you will be in the real world and everything will suddenly become more serious, just don't overdo it and make sure you keep a mature, accurate perspective on all aspects of your life.

Jon

Visit as many schools that you can, whether you are interested in them or not. You will never know what truly fits you if you do not visit. Also plan an over night trip to get a true experience away from the parents. Don't focus too heavily on all the "drinking" concerns, college students are the same all across the nation, the kids will drink and no one will ever be able to stop it. Also, explore all financial options to make even the more expensive schools a possibility. Don't expect your child to come home every weekend. Encourage them to stay on campus, otherwise they will be cheating themselves out of having a true college experience. Enjoy it while it lasts.

go with your gut, pick what you want, not what others tell you to do....enjoy your time in college- and enjoy making new friends- they will last a lifetime!

To a parent: Do not try to keep your child to close to home. To a student: don't try to get to far away from home. Both should keep an open mind look for something that seems 'you.' After one tours the college if they like the college the tour guide and the size then they should consider the college. One need not look for something entirely different when going to college, because living away from school and college itself is a different experience. This will become four years of ones education that will shape their future, there is no need to make any irrashional decisions.

Cady

In finding the right college: go visit. If it is the right place for you, you will know imediately. Once you get to college, don't be afraid to try anything. In fact, try everything. It is the only chance you will get. Appreciate every opportunity you are presented with and take advantage of.

Karoline

Look for a place that fits you.

Maryann

To check out as many colleges as possible to help make the decision easier for you and your parents. Also to not lose focus on academics because of worries about the social aspects of college. It is easy to make friends on any campus if you keep an open mind.

Go with your hearts and choose the right school that fits you best and fits your needs. As well as chose the college that has what you are looking to study in.

Cynthia

The college you attend will affect the next four years of your life. Take the decision seriously. College is not just about academics, it's about learning who you are and growing into the person you want to be for the rest of your life... so choose carefully. There are so many important parts to college that go beyond just attending class and many times the most influencial experiences are not found in a classroom. Look at every aspect of the college before you chose one including the campus, classes, food, activities, opportunites, clubs, faculty, other students, college size, and anything else you think is important. Do everything you can while at college. College is such a unique experience that can never be recreated after you graduate. Discover new friends while attending and they will become some of the most important people in your life. Don't regret anything that you do, but enjoy every moment of your time because you will miss it when it's over. Finally be flexible - don't go into college with all four years planned out because the journey is the best part and these memories will be a part of you forever.

naomi

don't sweat the small stuff.

If you plan on doing anything related to the arts, remember that this is a liberal arts college, the music program here is ok at best. While the professors are knowledgable, there are huge problems with the students in each of the performing organizations, and there are plenty of things that I would like to change.

I would suggest they talk to current students other than those who are giving the tours or that the college has assigned to talk to prospective students. Oftentimes you will only hear the responses the college wants you to hear. If possible, I would highly suggest talking to more than one current student who is not employed by the college.

Find the college that makes you feel like your at home. It exisits, believe me. Dont stay to close to home. College is about new experiances, and if you go home every weekend- you are just staying in your comfort zone.

Venessa

Make sure you attend many campus visits. Most students will know when they found the right college. Talk with many people on campus(students, faculty, staff). you might make a few freinds even before you sart your first semester. Make sure to check out the previous years activity lists. though it does change every year, see if something really stands out (who knows, you could possibly be a part in the activity planning.

Davida

Visit the campus and meet with a variety of people. Some schools look excellent on paper but the campus just does not fit. I know that I walked onto one campus and after twenty minutes knew I would never be comforable there. Arranged campus days are a great way to initially see a campus and get a feel for the place. However, sometimes it is when you visit a second time by yourself when you can see the true heart of a campus. Do people actively greet a tour guide? Do students walk as if they are proud to be on campus? It is important to meet as many people as you can. Everyone has a different opinion and it is only by sifting through all of them that a good picture can be drawn of a school. And if you do not know what you are looking for in a school, comparison shopping is always good. It may even come down to how comfortable the chairs are in the library! The small and insignificant can sometimes make the largest impact on the college experience.

Luke

The most important thing is to keep in mind that college is an individual experience for everyone... in order to find the right college, you need to look not only at where it is located and what kinds of courses and academic programs are offered, but also at the campus culture. I found a school that accepted me for my unique needs and cared for who I was, because I looked beyond the surface of what majors were available and what the campus was like, and focused on finding a school with a community that met my needs. Students seeking a college that fits their needs need to do the same thing - find a school where you'll be able to pursue your passions and live college life to the fullest. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I've made the most of it, and you should too.

TYLER

VISIT THE SCHOOLS ALOT TALK TO THE PROFESSORS ALONG WITH STUDENTS. SIT IN CLASSES SO YOU CAN GET A FEEL OF WHAT COLLEGE IS ABOUT. YOU HAVE TO SPEND ALOT OF YEARS, THERE NOT YOUR PARENTS , NOT YOUR FRIENDS. YOU NEED TO FEEL COMFORTABLE YOU NEED TO FEEL LIKE YOU BELONG THERE. THIS WILL BE YOUR HOME FOR AT LEAST FOUR YEARS. YOU SHOULD NEVER PICK THE SCHOOL BECAUSE IT IS THE MOST POPULAR OR IT IS WHERE ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS ARE GOING. WHEN YOU START SCHOOL AS A FRESHMAN YOU ARE ALL THE SAME, YOU WILL MEET PEOPLE AND THESE FRIENDS WILL BE WITH YOU FOR A VERY LONG TIME, YOUR HIGH SCHOOL FRIENDS WILL NOT BE AS IMPORTANT ANYMORE. STUDY HARD BUT GET INVOLVED IN CLUBS AND ACTIVTIES BUT ALSO HAVE SOME FUN!!! GOOD LUCK!!

I strongly recommend visiting schools of various different sizes. After you find a school that you really love, I recommend investigating the other schools in the conference. Chances are that they are very similar and one might have a little more to offer you than the origional school you were attracted to. Overall, make sure that you are 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} certain of a school before you go to it. You have to be willing to live with and love the faults of the school from they day you go to school there to the day you graduate. Make sure that they are academically focused because this education is going to teach you the skills you need to succeed. Academics are not necessarily where the most is learned at school. Activiites outside of school work often teach more valuable and hands on skills that will be used in your future work place. With that said, make sure there are activites that you are interested in at the school outside of the academics. Lastly, get excited and have the time of your life!

Find a place that you are going to enjoy for the next four years.

Look at the ratio of students to professors. It really makes a difference.

Kaity

Study

Sheng

To determine which is the right college, you must determine in which enviroment to you learn best in, forexample, if someone learns better with a small class size then a bigger class size or vice-versa. From there they will have some of the colleges narrow down, there on just visit the colleges that they have pick during the school time and determine is that the best learning enviroment for them. Most importantly, don't think about the money, becuase if you think to much about the money you will end up in some college that you won't even like and you might not get the best learning experiences from that college that you are attending. Just remember that money doesn't matter, all that matters is your education.

Look for the college that you feel the most comfortable with, and be open minded.

Do lots of research. Go visit the schools and talk to not only admission counselors but current students of all types. Really get a feel of the campus and the students there, so you know you can fit in. It helps to know slightly what you are looking for, that way when you visit the campus, you will have an idea if it is right for you or not. then once you choose a school, go and join clubs, join a fraternity or sorority, play sports. It is the easiest way to meet people, and will give you a head start in forming social groups and networks for later on in life. Get involved, and dont take anything for granted.