Riverside, CA
Riverside City College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Riverside City College

Katie

As a high school senior, most of my time was spent doing recreational things instead of studious things. As a college sophmore, I would go back in time to tell my high school senior counterpart to spend more time studying and applying for scholarships rather than going to the movies or to Disneyland. If I had spent more time applying for scholarships and such, my parents would not be having such a rough time trying to put me and my siblings through college. I would also tell my younger counterpart to spend more time with the family, building relationships with my younger siblings and my parents. If I could go back in time and tell myself these things, I believe my college life would be a much better experience.

The best part about Riverside Community College is, by far, the student body government. Being involved with this group of people has made going to community college a lot more exciting. This group of people meet together not only around the senate table, but around a table in the cafeteria, sharing textbooks, starting study groups, discussing teachers and classes, and making plans to better the student body. Riverside Community College has been the best place to start my college experience.

Riverside Community College is a place of opportunity for those who wish to further their education, whether they be recent high schoo graduates or senior citizens wishing to keep an active mind. But there is one type of student that should not attend this school. A slacker. If you want to sit in the back of the classroom and "goof around" and fail the class, you are only hurting your grades and the grades of those around you. The teachers at RCC work very hard and deserve the respect of a studius class that is ready to learn.

ELIZABETH

Riverside Community College is a public 2 year institution that has three campuses and serves the communities of Riverside, Norco, and Moreno Valley.

I graduated from high school 20 years ago and I've had plenty of time to think about what I would have done differently. When I first graduated from high school I attended the University of Utah for 2 years. I had the typical college experience, with plenty of social activities, work, and school. I unfortunatly did not have the maturity to complete my education there. I was far more interested in the social activities than I was on my studies and it caught up to me quickly. I was placed on academic probation, I got discouraged and started missing even more school. I dropped all of my classes and went home for a quarter. When I returned, I got wrapped up in the fun parts of college and soon realized that I shouldn't be there any more because I was not ready for college. If I had the chance to talk to my "high school senior self", I would tell her that college is fun. I would also tell her that there is a time for fun and it is AFTER the work is done. Get the job done then do have your fun!

It is often very difficult to obtain the pre-requisite classes for many of the sciences. You are required to take Anatomy and Physiology for the majority of the medical programs (ie, Nursing, Physician Assistant, Paramedic, etc) and to register for this class is nearly impossible. Every semester, there are dozens of people attempting to add the 3 or 4 sections that RCC offers and no available openings.

Casey

this is an espessially powerful question for me as I have had such a tumultous transition to college life. the first thing that would have saved me a lot of time and effort is that by applying for scholarships you are not freeloading, as you also benefit the group giving the scholarship, and society as a whole by achieving greatness. My parents are very supportive but also very financially disadvantaged I felt guilt at staying home with out paying rent especially with how expensive gas has been in the past year. Parents want the best for thier children and my parents are no exception, by going to school and doing well I can be my parents pride and not thier burden. Romances are inevitable in college settings but I think I would have to tell myself to make sure I find someone who can help you achieve your goals and truely want you to succeed

I feel that the majority of students don't care as much about their schooling as I do mine. there are distractions for apathetical students talking, because they don't really care about the subject at hand, but to me school is very important

The most frustrating thing about school for me is books. I have to take on odd jobs around my new and rigorous schedule to be able to afford these books. with this scholarship I should be able to focus on my school so that I can take away the skills I will need for my career.

Brandon

My classmates are a variety of personalities that have come together for the sole purpose of furthuring their education.

I think about this exact topic a lot. If I could go back in time and tell myself something that I didn?t know then, it would have to be to stay strong and don?t take anything, especially time and effort for granted. I would also have told myself to work harder than ever before. My senior year was the easiest and best year of my high school career. I had only a few classes, went to school late and then got to leave early, and I felt like the big man on campus. I wish that I had taken harder classes and instead of slacking off, I wish I would have done my best work that year. Then, after high school I had the opportunity to go to a four year university and play football, but instead of following through I backed out and stayed home. I wish more than anything that I would have taken that opportunity and made the most of it. If I could go back in time and tell myself something that would have changed how things are now? I wouldn?t hesitate for a second.

RCC is for the student that doesn't quite know where they want to be or what they want to do yet. It provides an excellent education and gives its students the opportunity to graduate and transfer to a 4-year university. It is the perfect college for determined students that don't want their education to end after high school.

I would tell myself that I should take all the classes necessary so that I could go to a UC or CalState college instead of a community college. I would advise myself to make sure I am prepared to handle the work load and not wait unitl the last minute to finish things. I would tell myself to remember that school comes first and if friends tell you otherwise, then they are not the people you should be hanging around with. Furthermore, do not get discouraged if you have a hard time making friends because eventually it will happen. Also, remember that not everyone will like you and that is okay. Be cautious in who you trust because you never know if someone has a hidden agenda. If you are having trouble with something whether it be a class or something else, do not be afraid to ask for help. Always trust your instinct. Even though school comes first do not forget who your friends are and make time for them. Remember to have fun and take advantage of everything the college has to offer.

I wish I had know how difficult it is to get classes and how impacted the school is. It will also take a minimum of 3 years to complete all the classes needed to transfer. I wish someone would have told me those things because I would not have attended.

The people who should not attend this school are people who want to get through college quickly. It will be frustrating to not get the classes you need and if you get on a waitlist for a class you are going to have to wait unitl classes start because it is very difficult to get into a class off the waitlist. If you know what you want to major in then I would recommend that you do not attend this school because you are better off going to a 4-year.

Sandy

Riverside Community college is a learning resource tool that has expanded my horizons about the options that I have in life, and has helped me to make goals for myself, that i now know are achievable.

The old century atmosphere with brick buildings and trees makes for a very enjoyable walk from class to class. The school itself has more of a "back east" University feel to it then a Southern California community college. It inspires me to want to get to a large prestigious University.

Growing up as a 7 year AVID Student, I had been preparing for college almost half of my lifetime. I took all the right AP/Honors classes, took on plenty of student leadership roles, and was an active member in campus clubs and sports teams. All seemed to be going well until my father began having an affair with another woman. A month later, my 19 year old sister became pregnant. Our previously humble home transformed into a battleground of hurt, anger, and tension. Somehow for the next year of high school, my studies , along with everything that i formerly cared for, slipped out from underneath the radar of my priorities. As my grades plummeted, I earned an Incomplete in AP English, and was no longer eligible to apply to any 4 year colleges. Distraught and angered, I rebelled against any tedious work to be done and burned bridges with most of my successful friends senior year. Knowing what I know now about college life, I wish I could go back and give myself this advice, "Collect yourself and complete what you have started. Life holds many trials, but if you just keep moving, It will all be worth it."

Tyler

If I could talk to myself back when I was still in high school I would have taken more concurrent enrollment classes that were paid for through my high school. It is very expensive to go to college and I would have taken advantage more of the programs available to me. Also after working a manual labor job for almost a year I realize that I do not want to do that for my life work. I want to get paid more money for the same hours and do something that doesn't require a lot of manual labor. That is why I have decided to go to college and have enrolled in a pharmacy technician program. My sister is doing a pharmacy technician program through her high school. I did take HVAC at a vocational school, but with the recession I was laid off at my job within 9 months. That field being in the construction industry isn't doing very well. I researched and found out that the medical field is a more stable field to be in and that is why I have chosen the pharmacy technician field. I hope to get scholarships to help pay.

Daniel

If i were to go back in time and tell my senior year self anything about college life it would be too not take college lightly and to not over load myself with classes. I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school where i could sleep through class and still get an A grade, that instead, college was something i would have to take seriously. I would explain to my more youthful counterpart that the second most crucial point to stress in college life is balance between class time, relaxation time, and work. If incorrectly mixed, the combination of these three things would ultimately lead to a miserable and unnecessarily difficult semester. Of course the most important insight i would have to express to myself would be the importance of friends. Truly nothing in this world is more important to a successful and stress free college life than amazing friends that you can count on to lift your spirits and encourage you in times of need. These are the jewels of wisdom that my oyster has cultivated for the short time i have attended high education and the things most important to my younger self.

The best thing about Riverside Community College is the lengths they go to to help the students in and out of the classroom. They offer every student the ability to ride the local bus freely at anytime to any destination which is great if you have no transportation and you work. They also provide financial aid, tutorial services, and health programs to all students as well as a comprehensive program for students with learning disablities.

Truly there isn't any type of person who shouldn't or has better interests in attending another school.The staff of Riverside community college does it's utmost to help all students by providing a plethora of programs and services to the student body from mental and physical health services to free tutoring.

Allan

The cost is definately cheaper and affordable for most ( if not all ) income brackets. Receiving an associates degree than finding a job and getting settled quicker helped me choose this school as well. And if I want to get a hold of a bachelors, masters, etc. I can always make a transfer to a four-year university. And even if i didn't know how, there's a center targeted for that audience. It just has what i need.

When in highschool I would probably have encouraged myself early on to practice doing what you love to do and hope to achieve, as well as searching for new things to do. As in Investing good time in a hobby you do. In college much time has to be sacraficed for studying and assignments, leaving out a hobby you enjoyed so much. Even if there is time in your scheduale for that past-time, it will only last for so long, and you would realize how much better you could have been if you spent more time improving and getting those ''YES!'' moments when doing very well. I did waste more time doing things i never truly enjoyed, too bad that i found out what i love doing a little late. And this was because I blocked myself from finding those novel hobbys. Keeping my head cooped in only one box instead of taking it off and noticing how many other things there are to do and experience was a mistake. I found them now, but if only I found them sooner by expanding my horizons.

The environment leaves you completely in a soothed mood. It's a very odd but pleasant feeling, one that leaves you in wonderment. And this is because the campus isn't loud most of the time. It's especially pleasant when the breeze is calm and blowing all around you. I just feel very safe and at peace. Schools that create such an atmosphere for me is a plus and thats what I always feel there.

Stevie

If I had the chance to go back and give myself college advice, I'd have a lot to say regarding finances, friends, and studies. I'd first tell myself to apply for scholarships, since a number of scholarships I see are geared towards those that aren't in college yet and I'd learn how to keep better track of what money I save, since this is the foundation from which I will be paying off my school loans. In dealing with friends I'd tell myself, that despite being in college, there is still some drama, just be careful who you become friends with, you'll realize who's genuine and really has your back. In regards to the most important aspect of all, studies, I would tell myself to get into the habit of studying more, so I can have great work instead of good work. I would tell myself that no one's expectations, but your own matter, you are your biggest critic, as long as you exceed your expectations, you are successful.

Riverside City College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.