Riverside City College Top Questions

Erica

If I could go back to the year 2000, when I was a highschool senior, I would have to tell myself to go to college directly out of high school and pursue my career goal. I would tell the high school me to wait to get married and have children and attend college first. I would warn myself the struggles of raising four children alone and attending school. I however, would not have listened and would have still made the choices I made back then. I am grateful for the choices that I have made as a single mother that is attending college and I find it very rewarding. My children look up to me and get to see the hardships and struggles and it has in return given them the motivation to do well in school and hold on to their dreams.

Joseph

If I were to go back and talk to myself, the dialogue would go somewhat like this: Hi 17 year old Joe, it's me, your future self. I know all you want to do is leave this wretched institution, but you need to focus more on your academic trajectory, and not trying to fit in. The "friends" you devote so much time to hanging out with won't exist in 5 years. I know your parents aren't guiding you in the right direction, but reach out to your teachers, volunteer at the hospital, and start networking. Place more emphasis on visualizing a long term goal and working towards it, rather than dreaming about the weekend. While it may seem your current financial situation is holding you back from attending a 4 year university like your peers, swallow your pride and look into attending the community college. Heck, if you cut half of the time you waste on myspace, and instead searched for scholarships online, your financial future woudn't seem so grim.

Tjah'Mari

Considering that I am only an 11th grader, this question is a bit difficult for me to answer. You see, I'm fifteen and in my second year of college. I started college at age twelve after graduating from high school in October 2011. I was 12 and in the 8th grade. Specifically, I received my High School Certificate of Proficiency at that time. Then, even though I didn't have to, I still went on to ninth grade. Now, I'm attending high school classes during the day and college classes in the evenings. Therefore, since I cannot go back to "me" as a high school senior, the equivalent of that would be myself in 6th grade. (It should have been 7th but I had just skipped 7th and went straight to 8th.) So, if I could go back and talk to myself as a 6th grader, I would tell myself to actually read my school books. This would give me the practice of learning how to study, because college isn't about how smart you are anymore and having A's come easily. It's about how hard you study and work for a grade.

Daniel

Stay the course; make up your own mind and don't be afraid of the decisions you make. You'll love the person you grow into because of the experiences you enjoy and endure, not despite them, and that person is someone worth growing into.

Dear Rachel, Go out and apply for more scholarships. It is possible to get to a four year university if you just work for it. Keep your grades up, and dont let senior-itis sest in. RCC is not where you want to go next year and be stuck. However, listen to God and His guidence for your life. He may want you to be somewhere you never expected. Sincerly, Your Future Self

Vianca

If I would give my eighteen year old self advice, I would give some handy advice to myself. One thing that I would tell myself is to search all the schools in California to see what best interests you without giving up and settling on a community college. Nothing is wrong with community college, but at least try to apply to a university(s) of your interest to see if you got in or not. It's great to know if a university is actually looking forward to have you as a student! So go for it and explore the schools in California! Another thing that I would tell myself is that its okay to not know what you want to do in life. This question will always come back to you for your whole life, all you have to do is to keep doing what keeps you happy no matter what it is that you do. There will be times when you will slip and fall, but I want you to remember this: Do not stay on the floor, get back up. You just have to pick yourself back up. That's what I'll tell my past self.

Danielle

Dear High-school Self,College is rough! You need to be mentally prepared for everything. The truth is, high-school teachers do not fully tell you the truth when they say that they are preparing you now for what you will see in college, because they never truly can. Every college experience is different. If I had the chance to do it all again, I would go to RCC and then transfer to Colorado State University as soon as I was truly ready. This would have saved us a lot of time and money. In order to do this though, we would have had to make sure to stay focused, focusing on school and working hard to save every penny that we could. The out-of-state experience is amazing and I am so glad that I had it, but it would have been much more rewarding had I been more experienced and prepared for it. Good luck, -Your College Self

christian

Start saving money christian and start working as soon as possible . Hit the books hard and study well. Do'nt drink and go to parties waste of time . Focus on school , work , and on family. Days off from school and work spend time with your family. Buy books online to save money. Use all the school's free resources to your advantage. sleep early so you dont sleep in class. Pase yourself dont over whelm yourself with school and work. Plan for every step make backup plans for school. Due all assignments as soon as possible sooner finish less you worry about it. Study for test or ask instructor for study guide. Well good look chris stay focus later.

Selam

I wish I known the costs associated with college and most of all worring how i need to put it more hours working to pay for the the courses and text books. In high school, it’s pretty clear what classes you have to take to graduate without stress of the expenses. The material covered in college courses is more complex than that taught in high school classes, and it’s presented at a faster pace. I learned since the academic pressure is much greater in college and it very crucial that I had to take responsibility for my own learning because no one is going to be spoon fed. Learning to be prepared to manage my time between studying, exams and balancing classes schedule which means learning to choose course load that includes some challenging classes and others that are less intense. It okay to ask to request for help, no one well be looking for me. Now I know that is it okay to go through tough times because it makes you stronger and when times get tough, I understand that there is nothing wrong with me because that's just the reality of college. It worth it.

reneshia

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior i would tell my self to start applying for scholarships. i would also explain how your on your own when in college. i would tell myself that its time to step it up and no slacking off because times are hard and your parents wont have the money to pay your way to college. thats would be the advice i give my self.

David

I learned that college proves a starting ground for a career in a field of my choice. I will continue to learn through out my life time. By understanding that is much important to stay focused on learning new things. College further my education into which my field of i'am seeking.

Renata

I was the kind of person that felt lost in what she wanted to choose as a lifetime career. I was always telling myself that taking alot of classes with no connection was a waste of my time, but I have come to experience every class in my everyday life. They were not a waste of time and the many classes I took, actually became the help I needed to walk towards the route I wanted.

Evan

The most valuable lesson I’ve learned so far from my college experience has been the broadening of my perspective. I’ve discovered how to confront problems and challenges with a calm and open perspective. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, I’ve learned that if I work hard enough then the tools I need to build my future are always some where near at hand. Threw working to put myself threw school while in school I’ve gained a great deal of determination, I will achieve anything I set myself to. It’s the thirst for more knowledge that has driven me to do all I can to continue my education. I use the problem solving abilities I’ve acquired at college in my every day life. From work, to social interactions to walking down the street, I am able to think outside of the box and chose the best answer to any situation no matter the challenge. I know that the more I learn and challenge my mind to expand in my drive to continue my studies the more I’ll be capable of doing my part in this life. Thank you. Evan Leacox

Joshua

College has allowed me to grow and become a different person. When I was in high school, I was never challenged to break out of my comfort zone. College challenged me to do so and I am better for it. College not only has increased my knowledge, it has given me new ways to thinks about topics. I am glad I decided to attend and feel I have grown as a person for it.

Austin

I would tell myself to keep hanging in there and not slack off. College is a great place where you have tons of freedom and where you could pick your own classes. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I can. They really do matter and can help you out so much. I would also tell myself to start excercising your writing hand because you are going to be doing a lot of writing. Also, I would tell myself that the professores aren't like high school teachers at all; they won't make you go to the principals office. They will just ask you to leave. (I haven't gotten in trouble). And then I would say "College is Awesome!"

Michelle

All my life I had been brain-washed that the UCs were much better than the Cal States. This erroneous belief lead me only to apply to UCs and private schools. I ended up attending the University of California, Riverside. I was extremely unhappy at this school and attended it for two years before I had to withdraw due to finanacial reasons. I now attend Riverside Community College. I was taught that Cal States and Community Colleges were the "bad" colleges to go to and were not as good of quality as the UCs and private colleges. This is the biggest lie I have ever been told. I have learned so much more at RCC in one year than I did in two years at UCR. The teachers were much better quality and more willling to help me at the community college than the UC college. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that Cal States and Community Colleges are just as good as any other college, and that I should apply to them as well.

Manolo

if you have an idea of what you want to do with your life, follow the path that will get you there. the changes are not big if you attend college right after high school. there are many social events throughout the college experience but dont let them distract you too much from your studies. that great party is not going to study and pass the final exam for you, only you can do that. why would you waste all that money youre using to pay for the classes you are not going to attend or follow through with? taking breaks are necessary at times with the challenges life throws at us. get back as soon as possible. the longer you wait the harder it is. may not seem like it now but think about it: youll be older with more responsibilities. these can take over the time you would have available to focus on school. once youre older you will not have as much financial help offered to you.stick to it, finish it, and do your best. your education is something that no one else can do for you, and something that can not be taken from you.

The advice I would give myself would be... Don't procrastinate and stay in your classes! Don't let others opinions affect your goals. Ask as many questions as you can even if you think they are dumb questions. A dumb question is one never asked. Stay on track and try not to overwhelm yourself. Make sure you have time to finish your homework! Keep your goals clear in mind and never give up even if you do fail a class or two. When in school, things get hectic and busy and sometimes a little crazy so try to stay focused on the outcome. Be true to yourself. Be sure to tell a counselor about your education goals so you know you're taking all the right classes and don't waste your valuable time. Have fun with it and make the best of it because before you know it you'll be done and off to work!

Katie

As a high school senior, most of my time was spent doing recreational things instead of studious things. As a college sophmore, I would go back in time to tell my high school senior counterpart to spend more time studying and applying for scholarships rather than going to the movies or to Disneyland. If I had spent more time applying for scholarships and such, my parents would not be having such a rough time trying to put me and my siblings through college. I would also tell my younger counterpart to spend more time with the family, building relationships with my younger siblings and my parents. If I could go back in time and tell myself these things, I believe my college life would be a much better experience.

ELIZABETH

I graduated from high school 20 years ago and I've had plenty of time to think about what I would have done differently. When I first graduated from high school I attended the University of Utah for 2 years. I had the typical college experience, with plenty of social activities, work, and school. I unfortunatly did not have the maturity to complete my education there. I was far more interested in the social activities than I was on my studies and it caught up to me quickly. I was placed on academic probation, I got discouraged and started missing even more school. I dropped all of my classes and went home for a quarter. When I returned, I got wrapped up in the fun parts of college and soon realized that I shouldn't be there any more because I was not ready for college. If I had the chance to talk to my "high school senior self", I would tell her that college is fun. I would also tell her that there is a time for fun and it is AFTER the work is done. Get the job done then do have your fun!

Casey

this is an espessially powerful question for me as I have had such a tumultous transition to college life. the first thing that would have saved me a lot of time and effort is that by applying for scholarships you are not freeloading, as you also benefit the group giving the scholarship, and society as a whole by achieving greatness. My parents are very supportive but also very financially disadvantaged I felt guilt at staying home with out paying rent especially with how expensive gas has been in the past year. Parents want the best for thier children and my parents are no exception, by going to school and doing well I can be my parents pride and not thier burden. Romances are inevitable in college settings but I think I would have to tell myself to make sure I find someone who can help you achieve your goals and truely want you to succeed

Brandon

I think about this exact topic a lot. If I could go back in time and tell myself something that I didn?t know then, it would have to be to stay strong and don?t take anything, especially time and effort for granted. I would also have told myself to work harder than ever before. My senior year was the easiest and best year of my high school career. I had only a few classes, went to school late and then got to leave early, and I felt like the big man on campus. I wish that I had taken harder classes and instead of slacking off, I wish I would have done my best work that year. Then, after high school I had the opportunity to go to a four year university and play football, but instead of following through I backed out and stayed home. I wish more than anything that I would have taken that opportunity and made the most of it. If I could go back in time and tell myself something that would have changed how things are now? I wouldn?t hesitate for a second.

I would tell myself that I should take all the classes necessary so that I could go to a UC or CalState college instead of a community college. I would advise myself to make sure I am prepared to handle the work load and not wait unitl the last minute to finish things. I would tell myself to remember that school comes first and if friends tell you otherwise, then they are not the people you should be hanging around with. Furthermore, do not get discouraged if you have a hard time making friends because eventually it will happen. Also, remember that not everyone will like you and that is okay. Be cautious in who you trust because you never know if someone has a hidden agenda. If you are having trouble with something whether it be a class or something else, do not be afraid to ask for help. Always trust your instinct. Even though school comes first do not forget who your friends are and make time for them. Remember to have fun and take advantage of everything the college has to offer.

Sandy

Growing up as a 7 year AVID Student, I had been preparing for college almost half of my lifetime. I took all the right AP/Honors classes, took on plenty of student leadership roles, and was an active member in campus clubs and sports teams. All seemed to be going well until my father began having an affair with another woman. A month later, my 19 year old sister became pregnant. Our previously humble home transformed into a battleground of hurt, anger, and tension. Somehow for the next year of high school, my studies , along with everything that i formerly cared for, slipped out from underneath the radar of my priorities. As my grades plummeted, I earned an Incomplete in AP English, and was no longer eligible to apply to any 4 year colleges. Distraught and angered, I rebelled against any tedious work to be done and burned bridges with most of my successful friends senior year. Knowing what I know now about college life, I wish I could go back and give myself this advice, "Collect yourself and complete what you have started. Life holds many trials, but if you just keep moving, It will all be worth it."

Tyler

If I could talk to myself back when I was still in high school I would have taken more concurrent enrollment classes that were paid for through my high school. It is very expensive to go to college and I would have taken advantage more of the programs available to me. Also after working a manual labor job for almost a year I realize that I do not want to do that for my life work. I want to get paid more money for the same hours and do something that doesn't require a lot of manual labor. That is why I have decided to go to college and have enrolled in a pharmacy technician program. My sister is doing a pharmacy technician program through her high school. I did take HVAC at a vocational school, but with the recession I was laid off at my job within 9 months. That field being in the construction industry isn't doing very well. I researched and found out that the medical field is a more stable field to be in and that is why I have chosen the pharmacy technician field. I hope to get scholarships to help pay.

Daniel

If i were to go back in time and tell my senior year self anything about college life it would be too not take college lightly and to not over load myself with classes. I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school where i could sleep through class and still get an A grade, that instead, college was something i would have to take seriously. I would explain to my more youthful counterpart that the second most crucial point to stress in college life is balance between class time, relaxation time, and work. If incorrectly mixed, the combination of these three things would ultimately lead to a miserable and unnecessarily difficult semester. Of course the most important insight i would have to express to myself would be the importance of friends. Truly nothing in this world is more important to a successful and stress free college life than amazing friends that you can count on to lift your spirits and encourage you in times of need. These are the jewels of wisdom that my oyster has cultivated for the short time i have attended high education and the things most important to my younger self.

Allan

When in highschool I would probably have encouraged myself early on to practice doing what you love to do and hope to achieve, as well as searching for new things to do. As in Investing good time in a hobby you do. In college much time has to be sacraficed for studying and assignments, leaving out a hobby you enjoyed so much. Even if there is time in your scheduale for that past-time, it will only last for so long, and you would realize how much better you could have been if you spent more time improving and getting those ''YES!'' moments when doing very well. I did waste more time doing things i never truly enjoyed, too bad that i found out what i love doing a little late. And this was because I blocked myself from finding those novel hobbys. Keeping my head cooped in only one box instead of taking it off and noticing how many other things there are to do and experience was a mistake. I found them now, but if only I found them sooner by expanding my horizons.

Stevie

If I had the chance to go back and give myself college advice, I'd have a lot to say regarding finances, friends, and studies. I'd first tell myself to apply for scholarships, since a number of scholarships I see are geared towards those that aren't in college yet and I'd learn how to keep better track of what money I save, since this is the foundation from which I will be paying off my school loans. In dealing with friends I'd tell myself, that despite being in college, there is still some drama, just be careful who you become friends with, you'll realize who's genuine and really has your back. In regards to the most important aspect of all, studies, I would tell myself to get into the habit of studying more, so I can have great work instead of good work. I would tell myself that no one's expectations, but your own matter, you are your biggest critic, as long as you exceed your expectations, you are successful.

Nancy

When you go to school, you have to rely on yourself to ASK for help. Go to workshops, pick up flyers, maps and brouchers, meet with counselors. If you cant figure something out do not be afraid to ASK. You should become as involved as you can be. Join a club, get to know the facilities. It's important that you feel like a student who is commited to your education and success. Getting to know your fellow students, and staff is important. If you are struggling in any classes, get somebody's phone number so you can study together, or ask the teacher about any tutoring that's available for the subject. Don't be afraid to reach out to others.

Kelly

If I could go back in time, I would encourage myself to persue my artistic endeavors! I would tell myself that my passion for creating would only grow stronger in the future and that I would need to complete my education in order to fulfill my career goals! "Artistic talent is a gift not to be wasted" I would tell myself! "Work hard, stay focused and it will be most rewarding!" I would remind myself that I am a person who believes in doing what I love for a living, and that finishing school will get me there!

Brian

I would definitely work much harder. After seeing what I am capable of in college, I know that high school could juse be a breeze. Things that seemed hard to me then are nothing short of simple now, and if I could go back in time, I could easily have straight A's.

Cynthia

To take school seriously and not take senior year as a walk in the park, I would really prepare for college.

Amy

Making the transition from high school to college can be tough, or it can be simple. The key thing is to start early. I would tell myself not only in my senior year, but my freshman year, to stay focused on school, and to always strive to be the best you can be. Thinking back to the start of my high school life, I honestly shouldve tried harder. I was so worried about what I looked like, and if my hair was okay, rather than the importance of the most precious thing on this earth, the future. I would have told myself to start applying for scholarships in junior year so that way I could get ahead. I would also say to worry about that 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} english test to get a better score to better my GPA, so that I can get into the University of my dreams. I know that no matter what the age, its never to late to pursue your dreams. Looking back now, I can honestly say that I should have prepared myself better for the future, whether its financially or educationally.

Kyrra

I would tell my self not to wait til the last minute. Try to get scholarships and get enrolled for college and find out my living plans before the end of my senior year.

Andrew

Don't underestimate college life and the rigorous courses. Be sure to plan accordingly and have proper time devoted to each class and each assignment.

Tiffany

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself not to give up so easily. My first attempt at attending a university failed horribly. I was holding down a job for the first time in my life, and despite advice to limit my hours, I was working at least 35 hours a week. In addition to overworking myself, my life circumstances were overwhelming, and partly because I thought I couldn't handle it, and partly because I didn't want to, I gave up. I stopped going to class, and rather than withdrawing, I dismissed it, endeding up with three horrible F's on my transcript, a defaulted student loan, and more obstacles than I ever imagined in my road back to school. Four years later, I have kids and a family, and I know how hard it is to support them. If I had kept trying, rather than quitting, I could have had a degree by now, rather than working the same horrible job everyday. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself what everyone else tried to, "don't you dare quit!"

Skylarr

Hello my name is skylarr la cour if i could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior i would tell myself to make sure that i register on time for classes i moved to nebraska after graduation to live with my brother and start my life. While there i learned many things what nebraska offered, what colleges they had and what they offered. The community colleges in nebraska didn't offer track and field wich i have a passion for i believe that if my grades were right that i wouldn't be in that position, a lot schools were far and i didn't have a car so i couldn't go to school so i just worked. Enough to pay for a plane ticket back to california so i could attend rcc join the track team and pursue my dream of gettin my degree after transfering to a university, and being the first one in the family to finish college. Besides makin sure that i registered for classes on time while i was in high school make sure that i took the sat so i could transfer after one year instead of two years.

Raymond

If I could go back in time to when I was a High school senior. I would start by telling my shelf not to wait so long to return to school and get a better education. That the wrold is changes so fast that getting a better education is the only way to get a better paying job. Due to the encomy is ever so change due to the market gone down and up so fast. That the only way I can survie in this world would to furter my education.

sasha

If i could go back in time to tell myself about college, i would say save money. Books are expensive. Also, i would have nagged to sign up for RCC earlier. I would have told myself to fill out my FAFSA sooner, and put more than one college on it. I would tell myself not to be afraid of meeting new people, and to open my variety of classes im interested in. Furthermore, i'd tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible, to research EOPS and the Pell Grant. To conclude, i would tell myself that thought the future seems so far away, so unclear, that i will be alright.

Katherine

Taking the step from high school to college isn't as easy as they make it seem in the movies. A lot of people just don't know what they want to be or where they should go after those four years are done blazing by. All of a sudden you find yourself on the verge of a very scary adventure and since you're an adult now, you have to do it by yourself. But there is a lot of help out there and just because you come from a background of uneducated parents or low income or even poverty doesn't mean you can't rise above that and achieve everything you've wanted. There are people who want to help everyone succeed, and there is a way to make it all work. Just be strong, don't give up, and keep fighting until you reach all of your goals, whatever they may be. Don't worry about what everyone thinks, and don't worry about if your parents approve. Just do what works for you, and don't worry about fitting into a mold of what a college student should be. You can do this.

Jacqueline

I would advise myself to read all my books and to stop being a procrastinator.

Jeremy

Decide on what you like doing now and would like to learn more about it college, let that be your declared major now and you can change it later. It's important to get through the general eds which are cheaper at the community college. Never just quit a class, pay attention to drop dates, they hurt your transcripts later. To save on tuition, yet live independent, find a community college that has housing. Apply for all financial aid including state grants. Work on campus in any department because it helps pay for small things like gas and books.

Peter

There are many things I believe I did very well during my senior year of high school. However, as with anything else, there are just as many things I feel continue to aggrivate me as a college student. If I were able to go back even for a brief amount of time, there would probably be much good I could do for myself. I would tell myself not to be so frightened of the future and so fearful of what has not yet occured. Maintaining such an outlook only strikes one with paralysis and makes it difficult to maneuver through even the slightest of life's trials. Apprehension and timidity do not fare well with the future. In fact, they kept me isolated from the excitement of college life. Instead of growing into an adult and facing my future with fortitude, I turned that moment for development into an ominous occasion to regress back to an adolescent state of avoidance. But, however much development I might have denied myself, it took all the more maturity to arise in the midst of those doubts and march toward something so uncertain as the future.

Anna

My college experience has been fantastic! I will admit, though, that I was not prepared for some things to occur in college. If I could I would go back in time and tell myself as a senior how to handle my college years. First, although I have always been a get it done fast kind of girl, I would tell myself that I will have to take things slowly because of my health. People will pass me by educationally, but there is nothing wrong with that. After all, after college, all that is left to do is work. Also, I would remind myself that while attending school I don?t need to work as well. If I take on too much it will negatively affect my grades. Instead, annually apply for financial aid and scholarships. Finally, I would tell myself that college is where best friends are made; therefore, don?t be afraid to make new friends. If I need to, I should get involved. Believe it or not, people want to be my friend, just like I want to be theirs. College is a grand adventure! If I could tell myself that as a senior I would.

Alberto

Well, look back in high school. I wish I could pay attention to teachers and study HARDER.

james

do not try to take the easy way out of everything because there is a way that everything works properly.

Karla

When first entering a community college I was unaware of the college life as well as the transition it would be from leaving high school. As a senior in high school you hear your teachers giving you advice, but most of the time that advice just goes out one ear and out the other. I've been out of high school for almost a year now, so i've been able to expierence college life myself. Despite the fact that it is not a university or a cal state school, I have taken in alot in this short period of time . If I were able to go back to when I was a high school senior I would tell myself that college isn't the same as high school life, making it hard to adjust to at first. You have to take the work seriously, meaning that there is no time for slacking off, you have to motivate yourself because you no longer have someone pushing you along the way making choices for you, you're an adult and you're going to have to want the best for yourself if you're going to pursue your dreams.

Cristina

If I were able to go back to when I was a high school senior and give myself advice I would tell myself to keep striving to be the greatest and to keep following my dreams because nothing is easy everything is a challenge and everything that is a challenge is worth working for.

Anthony

If I could go back in time and tell myself about college life I advice myself to sign up for Fasfa and Espo so that i can get all the money i possible can get.

Raquel

I would have definetly taken chemistry in high school. It would have helped alot right now. I would have saved more money to pay for the books. I would be so greatful for the structured schedule that I had in high school. I would also tell myself to stay active, I have definetely gained the freshman 15 :) ..