Robert Morris University Top Questions

Chad

Jesus Is my lord and savior!

Craig

The advice that I would give my high school self is, to push yourself through the rough times and keep up with your work. You are going to go through some rough patches and will want to give up. Don't do it, no matter how hard life seems you can always pull through for the better. Another thing is to call your family more when you're away. They worry when you don't respond to text messages or phone calls. My last piece of advice is that you dont have to know what you want to do with the rest of your life yet, you're young and have plenty of time to figure that out. So make sure you keep up with your work and have fun while you're away at college, these will be the best years of your life.

If I could go back and tell myself anything during my senior year of high school, I would tell me that it's okay to fail. Through the stress of college, I have learned that failure is not the end of the world, but quitting, or not trying at all, is. I would tell myself that giving your all is the most important thing in life, and as long as you are giving your all, failure is okay. I would tell myself that my mental illness is not a hinderence to success, even though it may seem that way sometimes. I would tell myself that asking for help, especially on my darkest days, is a sign of courage. If I could go back and tell myself anything during my senior year of high school, I would tell myself that things will be okay, and that the sun has to shine through the darkness sooner or later.

Jazmyne

I would tell myself that worrying about everything did not change how things went. It is best to just accept that you are moving away and go in with the mindset of enjoying yourself.

matthew

Hold down even though high school was horrible for you it will get better once you go to school.

If I give myself advice I would say to; choose a major in advance, start the semester strong, and stay focused on my schoolwork. Firstly, I would tell myself to decide on a major before signing up for classes. If you don’t, you might discover once you have picked a major that your school does not offer the classes you need. It saves time and money to have an idea of what you want to do ahead of time. I would also tell myself to work hard from the very beginning of the semester. Since there are such few grades you received each term, if you are not focused the beginning you will have to spend the rest of the semester trying to raise your grade which is very difficult. It is easier to avoid this stress altogether by doing well from the beginning. Lastly, I would recommend ignoring my personal feelings about my classes. I didn’t like my first classes so I gave little effort and got lower grades. It is better to pass the class than to do badly because you didn’t like it and have to repeat it later.

Simon

Dear younger me, Do not fret about college. It will all work out. The main thing you need to do is keep up with dates and deadlines for enrolling and scholarships and all that. It may seem difficult, but once you get started it will all be fine. Stay focused on your studies and don't let the freedoms of college make you blow it off.

Chauncey

Make sure that you give everyone a chance. I know that some people were horrible in high school just because you had big dreams and they didn't always understand you, but I'm telling you that life does get better. Join all these organizations, show everyone who you are and don't be afraid because you are about to run into a lot people who are just as interested in your activities as you are. You are about meet so many people that will change your life. I know you don't want to go to RMU but trust me it's for the best. It's going to open doors you've never seen before. Just keep your head up grow tough skin and keep moving forward. I haven't seen the ending of this story yet but the middle is to die for! Trust me you’re in for pleasant surprise. Life doesn't end at Prom King and graduation speeches, it begins with it. You are built for so much more that you don't even see yet. Trust me.

My advice to myself would be take school very seriously. Years from now you will regret holding off not getting your 4 year degree. After being out of school for so long, it is hard now to make time with a full time job and a "full" time family. Take the time now to enjoy getting your education it will pay off for you in the long run. Hold on, life is a bumpy ride and having your education is "your safety belt"!

Stephany

If I could go back in time to myself in high school, I would have chosen my current school as a first option. When I first started college, I new which major I wanted to go into and chose a school appropriate for it. After the first year with only taking classes in that major, I realized that it wasn't for me. I then chose a Technical School in which I have a degree from. Upon graduation, I am unsatisfied with the positions I can get with that degree. I decided to continue my education in the same field, but on another path. I am now a member of my college band, my class sizes are fitting my my liking, and everyone is very friendly. The big transition I would warn myself about is that even if I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and was sick of taking random "pointless" classes in high school, to keep doing that because the major you end up with may be very unexpected.

Kayce

If I knew then what I know now I would tell my high school self to be prepared. Save every chance you get; do not waste your hard earned money on useless stuff. Never stop signing up for scholorships, even the little ones. Never put anything off till the last minute, take your time on the big homework assignments and get a head start on them. Ask for help when you need it, there is no shame in it. Keep in touch with your close friends so that when you go back home during break you're not just hanging out around the house all day. Do not stress out, when you are feeling some stress just do something relaxing. Stay active, the freshman fifteen is not an urban legend. Call your parents, they miss and worry about you, mostly your mom. Don't call your siblings, they will either ask for something of yours or tell you they already took something of yours; you can save that fight for when you are home on break.

Lacey

My college experience so far has been the best time of my life. I am finally with people like myself, who care about learning and work hard. I always knew that college was the right path for me, but I could have never imagined what an impact it has had on my life. I have had the chance to step outside of my comfort zone. I have applied for many leadership positions, joined clubs, and have maintained a 3.87 GPA. College has taught me many valuable lessons. Most importantly, I have come to realize that sometimes dreams become reality.

Kristine

I can back to school to follow my dream. I want to own my own bakery and I know that I need to understand and be able to run that kind of buisness. I must first gain the knowledge through school. Going to school is but one of the many hard and difficult steps I have to take. But I know that I can acheive anything as long as I have the drive to get it.

Destyne

I have learned that it is important to have a balanced life at school. Social and studying with more emphasis on your education but don't forget that its an overall experience. So enjoy yourself!

So far, I have recieved a great deal of knowledge that will hopefully allow me to provide for my family in the near future. Without attending college, I don't think I would receive as good of a job as I would because of my decision to go back to school.

Kayci

So far from my college experience I have learned more than just what my classes have taught me. College has made me aware of so many different kinds of people and how to better interact and live with others. It has been valuable for me to meet people outside of my normal peers who live much differently than I do. I now have new perspectives on things because of all of the new influences in my life. Living in a dorm has taught me how to live with others and to become more considerate to the needs of others. The social aspect of college has been one of the most important lessons I have learned because people skills are necessary in every part of life and without them, no matter how good the education, very little can be accomplished.

From my college experience, I have learned mainly about people. Not everyone is the same, yet we all have goals we wish to achieve. Everyone attenting college is there for a similar purpose - to get a degree. The people we encounter, we have relationships with. Whether those relationships are good or bad, they create a network that may be useful in the future. During my freshman year, I decided to pledge Delta Zeta sorority. Now I am a sister, and the women in this organization that I have met are all different and unique in their own way. Though we share a common factor, the sorority, being diverse lets all of us grow in many ways. Joining other organizations other than Delta Zeta has let me meet many interesting people that expand the way I think and helps me treat others better. College has made me more open minded and accepting of other people.

My undergraduate degree is in economics. So, on the face of it, I've learned countless terms and formulas, graphs and charts, analyses and research methods as part of the economics curriculum. These things are what I received because I made my tuition payments. However, the aggregate of what I've gotten out of my experience is inifinitely more. I discovered who I am. I discovered, fully and completely what I enjoy and conversely, what I do not. I was exposed to cultures and perspectives I had previously known next to nothing about; I even got to live those cultures through a semester abroad. I saw different people and how they viewed the world; how they took the same stimuli I was receiving and analyzed it, processed it and eventually came up with an answer. I took all of these things and developed my own personal process to determine what is worthy of belief and what is not. My college experience did more than teach me what GDP is or where to invest my money. It showed me who I am, what I stand for and most importantly, why I stand for them.

My college experience has been extremely valuable to me. I take something away from every project in which I participate. I think I can also say that I take something away from every class I attend. Years ago when I graduated from high school and attended college, communication skills classes seemed like a waste of time. I could read, write and talk. I did not think there was anything else to it. Today, I realize how wrong I was and how blind, deaf and mute I really was. Education is now one of the most important aspects of my life. I look forward to taking the next class and completing the next project. By refining my communications and business skills, Robert Morris University is helping give me a voice and helped make that voice better understood by others.

Getting accepted into Robert Morris University (RMU) has fulfilled the first part of educational goals by pursuing my Bachelors Degree in Business obtaining my law degree. Since I was 10, I've dreamed of a career in law. As a freshman at RMU, I?m currently taking Legal Environment of Business which is an overview of basic general law. Introduction to Financial Accounting shows basic concepts and how it's handled in the business world. In high school, the first law class was Business Law with the civil aspect peaking my interest. Senior year classes taken included Accounting and Pursuit of Justice. My Comparative Government class compared six different countries and compared how their government operated. As a People to People Student Ambassador, I traveled to Australia/New Zealand and became interested in other countries government. Law classes were my best subjects while accounting gave me problems. Due to illness and to finish an accounting project, I arrived early, worked through my lunch and even stayed after school. Testing in college covers more material and it?s a bit challenging remembering every detail but additional studying ensure a good grade. No matter the challenge I work to my best ability.

Don't be afraid to talk to your professors, because they are there to help you. Most people at RMU are willing to help you succeed if you give them the chance. College is more hands-on than high school, so be prepared to do your work whole-heartedly and you will have no trouble succeeding.

After knowing what i know now, I would tell my past self that living at home is better than living on campus and you can save money, and that playing sports is like a full time job and more. The main thing I wish I could have known and tell myself is to be more outgoing and to take more business classes since my major is accounting and finance it would have helped me big time.

If I was able to travel back in time and speak to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to not be so afraid to branch out and get involved in activities on campus. When I started out as a freshman at Robert Morris University, I felt like a foreigner in a strange new land. This place was to become my home for a year and how many other years I would be attending there. I had little inclination to join any clubs or organizations due to this homesick feeling I possessed. I would also say to myself that change is indeed good to adapt to, that I could balance out my studies and become more sociable through the programs offered here at the university. In essence, my message to myself would be simple: branch out, don't let fear rule you.

If I could speak to myself when I was a high school senior, I would advise myself to have devoted far more time to physics. At the time I found it almost irrevelant until I discovered how it can be applied to an everyday situation. Everything I enjoy is entirely based in physics. Thus, I would advise myself to try and recognize the applications in everyday life. I am doing so currently, but if I started earlier, who could have guessed what I would have been capable of! I would also have advised myself to really have looked into the biology field. I originally intended to go into that field, but I examined it in detail a few months ago and found it was more paperwork and little application/field work. It was at that time I decided to change my major to something more suiting to my skills and something that would allow me to do what I enjoy most.

Frank

If I were given the opportunity to go back and time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are a few simple things I would say. First, ?Don?t let your pride keep you from dropping a course.? second ?Take school seriously!? and lastly, ?Save some money to buy stock in Gloria Jean?s coffee in February of 2009.? Seriously though, that pride I mentioned resulted in a couple F?s on my transcript. I was stubborn and refused to accept that I didn?t know everything. When I graduated from high school, I jumped straight into college with a feeling that, nothing being taught was relevant to my life, so, why care? This resulted in lackluster effort, as well as below average performance. I lost merit aid, and failed a couple courses that I had no business failing, simply because I didn?t attend class. Had someone beat it in my head in high school how important to my career it would become to take college seriously; it would have saved me a bunch of heartache, a lot of money, a trip through the Marine Corps, and maybe even from writing this essay.

As a freshman in college, I have experienced many stuggles and accomplishments throughout my senior year. However, if i had the chance to go back in time and give myself advice about the future, I would not hesitate. First of all, I would pressure myself to start off the school year right. Get my homework done, study for tests and put partying aside. I have the rest of my college life to sleep and party with my friends. The next few months of my life will make a big difference. I would tell myself to begin the college application process immediatly and dont procrastinate! I would encourage myself to apply for scholarships and really learn about the schools Im applying to. I would tell myself to pick a school because its right for me, not because my boyfriend applied. Most immportantly, have fun and make new friends. College is where one meets the friends he or she will have for the rest of their life.

Virginia

Don't lose the momentum and don't forget what you pay for as a college student. You're not a baby anymore and at the end of the day, your education is an investment, financially and through knowledge. Don't take advantage of anything that is given to you and start networking as soon as possible because you never know who you will run into later on in life that wouldn't mind helping you with your college career.

Coolege is way different than high school. The instuctors will not chase you down or call your parents to get you to do or improve your work. It is entirely up to you. You have to be self-motivated and very dedicated. College is way more stressful. You will have big projects, papers and homework that will all be due around the same time making your work load seem overwelming. The key is not get behind set aside enough time to do homework and don't let anything interupt that time. The first year is the hardest until you can get a feel for how college works, and ajust your study habits and make the best plan of attack for you. The real key is to not get behind if you do most likely you wont get back on track college moves fast through alot of information, and to study study study. Always put your college work first.

Alyse

If I had the opportunity to explain the transition from my high school experience to my college career I would include advice about time management, social expectations, and picking the path that was right for myself. First I would express to myself the importance of being able to manage my time. Staying on a schedule and making sure to balance my time would have helped with my workload of freshman year. I would also give the advice not to be easily influenced or swayed by the social networks on campus. I would tell myself to remember that my first priority is to be a student and receive my degree. I would want my high school self to know that is acceptable to stand out and be an individual who is focused on her academic success, and not to be afraid if you don't fit into the social norms of college campus life. Finally I would make sure that my high school self knew to pick her own path and find the major and college career that suits her the best. I would tell her to find the path that exemplifies her best qualities and be certain in her choices.

Braden

I would tell myself that it is just like High School, and Boy Scout Camp, except for the part that it is in the woods. You stay in dorms in single beds, Its like your bedroom, living room and kind of a kitchen in one. Dont slack, study now so you can a higher GPA and a good job. Apply for as much financial need as possible. Scholarships and grants are essentially free money, so take advantage of it. Your going to take out a loan, and then they will want you to pay it back with atleast 8{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} interest and if you get scholarships, you dont have to take out a large loan and be stuck paying it back for the next 25 years. Remeber "A Scout is Thrifty", dont spend on things you dont need. There is no need to go out everyweek to a restaurant and spend money when there is a fully functional and a good tasting food there. Dont let your social life take control, you are here for an education, not women and friends. Good Luck man, you can handle it!

It is very important to go look at schools before you pick one, make sure the classes you are required to take for your desired major are ones you'll enjoy or be able to handle. Also make sure you talk to someone about your desired major because there may be different departments that have your major but the classes that are required may not meet all your requirements. It is important to pick a school you feel comfortable at, not just one that all your friends are going to. Your education is one of the most important things in your life, it is important to make the right decision. Dont choose the first school you look at, make sure you give others the chance because they may have things that are more appealing than the first school had. It is important to make the decision on your own, dont let anyone else make the decision for you. This is the time in your life where you have to start making decisions, let them be your own decisions. Grow up and live your life, go to a school that will be fun and will give you a good education!

Francine

I would advise myself to relax and enjoy the transition more. There really is little to worry about and it's all about the experience and being able to take something from it. All the worry that is done by the student, and can't forget the parents, is just not needed. Taking the time to just stay organized and focused will allow for more excitement, more relaxation, more time to do what you need to prepare yourself for the change.

Take in to consideration where the college is located and what you may miss out on at home with your families. 30 minutes away can be as far as you make it. Parents, give your child space when they are making their decision, they may start out wanting to go far, but they will end up where they need to be in the end. Do not pressure a decision out of your child, they will make it when they are ready. Students, enjoy where ever you are... You will make friends that will last forever, and the experiences that you have are priceless. Stay at school as much as you can, if you don't, you will miss out on making friends and social opportunities. Happy College Hunting!

Katlin

The college experience should be anything you want it to be. If your first decision wasn't the right one for you, there is always time to change it. You do not have to be miserable for four to five years because you chose the school that wasn't right for you. After college, it's all about finding a job, making money and working day in and day out, so now is the time to have fun, make friends and memories. Find a good balance between that and maintaining some good grades.

Do not settle. Parents should not hold their kids back, even if you don't want your child to go to school away from home you have to let them go. They will only be miserable and hold it against you if they don't go away. And students don't waste your time, it flies by Be as involved as you can be, make as many friends as you can, and go where you will be happy!

Choose the right school that you feel is best. Dont consider a school just because you teacher or parents want you to.

First I would decide whether you would like a small intimate class setting, or more of an auditorium class setting. Then I would decide on a major and look for schools that are known for that program. I would think about location, do you want to go far? do you want to be close enough to drive home on the weekends for visits? or do you want to be totally away from home? To make the most out of your college experience, I recommend joining a social group, whether it be a sports team or a sorority, or an academic club. This will give you a group of close friends that you can experience college with. It will give you people who have similiar interests to hang out with. Then you can meet all of those people's friends and roomates and really extend your own social abilities. Don't be afraid to be yourself and people will respect you.

Yes, you go to college to get an education, but I hope you do not go to college just to get an education. College is about experiencing new things while transforming from a child into a productive member of society. It only happens once and you need to make it as enjoyable as you can. Your friends in college have the biggest influence on the type of person you will become in the real world, so make sure you choose a school where you feel you fit in. Don't try to force yourself into a college that doesn't feel right for you just because your parents want you to go there or because it is cheaper. And once you are in your college of choice, get out there and participate in everything you can. You will make a lot of friends and make your college experience a lot more meaningful. If you make a good group of friends while in college, your time there will be so much more enjoyable and those friends will stay in touch with you after you graduate. Go to learn, but also go to experience. Have a blast.

First thing i would say is you have to vistit the colleges that interst you. Because If you pick a college without going and seeing what it is like, you are sure to be dissapointed. Picking a college means pick your home for the next four years, you have to make sure that it is right for you.

When deciding where you would like to go to school think about what your extracurricular interests are. Look for the school that best combines what you look to do outside of class with your major and learning needs.

Find a college that is affordable and worth the money you will spend on it. Make sure you check out the programs for the major you are enrolling in to see if it is right for what you need. My biggest regret is enrolling in a college whose program focuses on the business aspect and not enough on your individual major. Look into several colleges and compare them. Which has both academic and social activies that you would be interested in? The college education you choose may affect the rest of your life, so don't rush into it. Take your time and choose wisely.

Sabrina

College is great- make the most of it while you're there and be sure to get involved from the start. Try to pick a school that has plenty of activities for the students and isn't just focused on grades.

First of all I would tell parents to let their child choose where they want to go and not to try and choose for them. It's very frustrating trying to pick what school to attend on their own let alone being pressured by their parents. This is the first time in their lives that they really get to make a big decision on their own-let them do it. And to the students-don't go for the biggest party school, if you don't know what you want to major in-be undecided until you know for sure. Take all the classes you think are interesting and find what it is that you wanna do that way. You get credits and figure out what you want to do in your future. And on the other hand, if your not happy with your major, change it. Dont let your self get stuck doing something you dont want to do. Most of all have fun, make some mistakes and grow as a person.