Rochester College Top Questions

A'Lonna

First it would be amzing to go back in time to show myself what mistakes to turn from to tell me about the decsions I was going to make were not the right ones. That would be Amazing! To answer the question not yet being fully matured there has been some maturation up to this point. I would tell myself to buckel down from day one of my 9th grade entrance into high school; be apart of every faction in school. Be a kid have fun but maintain focus when it is needed; know what is important for my future, help myself out in moving forward. Work hard when others are playing so you can play when they are not. Know the boundaries for where you are and the place you want to be; know what it takes to meet the goals you set for yourself. Be an advocate help those you see in need it takes more than smarts to succeed it takes character and character is what will define you for life. All the minimalistic situations will help to mold you. You can't take everything personal, it is motivation for striving. Focus, determination, living, and laughter.

If I could go back and recommend my high school self something, I would tell her, "Take scholarships more seriously. There won't be any difficulty in finding the school of your dreams, but paying for the school of your dreams is more difficult. You will have to pay for school since Mom and Dad can't help. You will also have to eventually buy a car. You will have to grocery shop once in a while and you'll want to go out and have a social life. There are a lot more expenses than what you are thinking of right now. You have so much going for you. You are talented and have big goals. You can win scholarships! Those scholarships will allow you to think of other things besides money in the future and prevent a lot of anxiety. Apply for scholarships now, before your life becomes busy with studies and other work."

Becky, Becky, Becky. I know you think you're "busy", but you have no clue, sweetheart. You'll know soon enough, but you know those two papers you're complaining about writing your senior year? Well, i a few short months you'll be writing two papers a month, so get over it. Everything your teachers are telling you is right, the writing and math practice really does come in handy. Oh, and by the way, you're going to have to take out student loans, the one thing you did not want to do. Ever. So I suggest you start filling out scholarship applications while you're still in High School because it will make things a lot easier. Trust me. One last thing: listen to your parents. I know you don't want to, but they're usually right. Yes, usually...at least take what they say into consideration. Good luck!

I have learned how to be independent, to care about my education because I want it, not because I have to attend. My comfort zone has been stretched, and I am becoming the person I always wanted to be. Decisions- whether to sleep in the extra few minutes and be late for class, or get up early (and I am not a morning person) and be on time and ready to learn- are a symptom of adulthood. Succeeding at my coursework and achieve a 4.0 in my first semester has boosted my confidence greatly. I once missed a class because my car doors were frozen shut; I discovered that my parents really do know what they're talking about when they advise me to clean the snow off the car the night before class. I spent over five straight hours working on a paper with a partner, and we aced it. Being homeschooled, this was my first experience working with another person to achieve a good grade, and it was an educational experience. I have learned amazing techniques for not falling asleep during a boring lecture when I have been up until 2 the night before. College is growth.

Carlos

Besides and extension on education, the best thing I have gotten out of my collegiate experience is confidence. I was always skeptical about attending college mainly because I was afraid to fail. I do not know whether it was the word college that scared me or the fact that no one else in my family had attended. I had convinced myself that I just was not college material and so I gave up on it many times. Now that I am in my last year, I can reflect on how much I have shocked myself by not only attending college, but doing well in college. I currently am toggling between a 3.7 and a 3.8 GPA. I am a communications major. Fortuantely, I chose a major that was interesting to me. Most of my classes offer me information I am thirsty for which make the classes feel a lot less like work. My education here is one thing I have and will take with me once I am done. However, the best thing that this school has taught me is that anything is possible once the decision is made to accomplish it.

I have learned to be more responsible for my own actions and put the childish things aside. Also, I have learned to be someone to rely on. Rochester College has a lot of disiplinary actions that I truely believe are helpful. The decisions you make affects the school as a whole. Everyone has to get study ours in, in our study lounge or else the dean himself will notify you. They teach that there will always be consequences for irresponsible actions.

The biggest advice I would give to myself would be about learning to live on a budget, your school schedule, and adjusting to living in the dorm. Learning to live on a budget has been one of the biggest adjustments. Before coming to school I needed to take a better look at my own personal expenses and planned out better on how I budgeted my money and how I was going to contiune to have money. Another thing I would tell myself would be to not be afraid to talk to your advisor about your class schedule. For my first two semesters I just let my advisor tell my what classes I needed to take and said ok. And because of that I wound up with a pretty goofy class schedule making it tough to do outside things. And I stretched myself wat to thin. Adjusting to dorm life has been one of the tougher parts of college. It is more of a community style living with people coming in and out of your space. Learning to find quiet time to relax away from it all is what has really helped me survive.

Wendy

If I were able to travel, back in time and speak with myself as a high school senior concerning the effects of transitioning into college life I would be more worthy of confidence in myself.

Chantel

Don't rush into choosing a college.. Do your research!

DO NOT SLACK OFF. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY.

Rubbie

I would say first you have to know what it is that your child wants to study and the type of envierment the the student works well in. Then when you have all the worked out, you can start to look at schools that are best fitting for you... Don't pick a school because your friends or your boyfriend or girlfriend is going to. Pick a school beacause it's the right chose for you that will help you better your future. Know what you want to gain out of going to school. Not all students know what they want to student ther first year on school so don't freak out. When picking a school make sure you pick the school for the right reasons. To better yourself . Just always remember what's best for you.

Lydia

When considering the right college for you, it is important to consider more than just one area of interest. For instance, if you are seeking a school that is strongly academically focus, be sure to also check the school's social dynamics. Collegiate success is dependent upon a multitude of factors. A good school recognizes the wholistic needs of individual students who have diverse interests and works toward satisfying those needs. Choosing the school that is right for you means identifying your needs and finding the best school and location that matches those needs. Not only is college an important decision for your career, but it is also important in shaping your personality for years to come. With this in mind, choose a school that will help guide you in all areas of life.

Najeema

When looking for the right college it is important to take into account the size of the campus and the area that it is located in. It also important for students to get in involved in an activity (preferrable after the first semester) . Getting involved helps you to get to know people on campus. I have been in Student Government for two years, and lived on campus all three years of my college carreer. I now have the opportunity of being the President of the Student Body and a Resident Advisor. It is definately important to get involved.

Pick a school based on your own interests and beliefs, not your friends. Think about what you really want to do and what you enjoy, and look at all options. Sometimes their are schools right around the corner that you never know existed...and for me that was the best school.

My biggest suggestion about finding the right college is to visit the places that you are considering more than one time. Preview days are very informative, but be sure to visit on a day that is not for prospective students. Often, for preview days, colleges will show their most positive sides. If you visit another time, you will see the college for what it truly is. Another suggestion is to talk to students on campus. Come prepared with any questions that you may have. Sit in on a class, and talk to professors. While recruiters may have some answers, they are there to make things sound good. Experience the place for yourself! As for making the most of your college experience, the biggest suggestion I can give is to GET INVOLVED!! College goes by so fast. I have never had a single regret regarding something that I chose to become involved in, but there are plenty of situations where I chose to not be involved and I wish that I had.

Go to a community college for 2 years then transfer to a four year university. It will be a lot cheaper.

Be not afraid to live through change while dreaming beyond the heavens.