Rochester, MN
Rochester Community and Technical College

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Hailley

RCTC is a great school to help traditional and non-traditional students get acquainted with college life and academics at college level. I appreciate the affordability and the overall culture of the college. RCTC is not only a starter college, but they are expanded their program options and partnering with other schools to really help the students attending reach degrees beyond associates.

Raksmey

RCTC is best known for the nursing programs. The Mayo Clinic is located about 15 minutes from the school and RCTC has programs for nursing that help students get a job in the clinic, which also helps the Rochester community. The teachers teaching those classes are also very professional in a sense that they know what they are talking about and can explain it fully. RCTC is also known for their collaboration with Winona State University. To get a 4 year degree, students are able to transfer to Winona State straight from RCTC through programs that interwhine with both colleges.

If I were able to talk to my high school senior self, I would first tell myself, "Whatever you do, try not to procrastinate and try to be eficient." This is because my first year of college was tough! High school did not prepare me for college at all. In high school, I didn't have to show up to every class or always listen to what the teacher saying because it was fairly easy. But miss one college class and you could've missed the biggest lecture of the course. I'd also tell myself, "If life gets hard, just remember it goes on. Nothing lasts forever." This is just for a reminder for myself so that when life does get hard, I remember to focus my negative energy and try to make it positive by working harder and knowing it will all be better soon. I tell myself that sometimes when I get caught up in all of the things that I'm doing that everyday feels the same. This helps my mind calm down and helps me think outside the box and more about the important things in life to me.

The best thing about my school is that there are many different types of people from all over the US and it's cool to talk to them and get to know them. What I'm saying can be the best thing about any school, but the best thing I would say from my experience at RCTC is that you get to meet a lot of good people. I've met people that have a totally different perspective of life from me and I learn from them that there is a lot of learning to do.

Jamie

My school is so diverse and everyone seems to get along. Before attending this college, I wasn't used to being around so many different people. It's great to see so many people of different backgrounds get along. Not only that, but my school participates in the "Purple Plus" program where you can receive an associates degree before you receive your bachelors using the credits from your associate degree.

The best thing about my school is definitely the fact that it's so small that you really get to know the teachers as well as the students. This year, my class threw me a surprise baby shower and I was completely shocked and thrilled. I couldn't believe that they went to all that trouble and kept it all a secret from me! It was truely a blessing to see how many people cared.

Tiffany

Being a combination of 2 schools in 1 location, RCTC offers a plethora of majors, sports, clubs, and other extracurricular activies in order for every student to have a true college experience at an affordable price.

If I went back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself two things: be more active and apply for scholarships. In all four years, I participated in band. Towards the end of my high school career, I took an interest in the drama department. After going back in time, I would tell myself to take part in the drama department right away as a freshman. I would also recommend that I take part in volleyball, which I enjoyed playing in junior high. Not only would it have broadened my social circle, but it also would have allowed me more opportunity for financial aid. This leads to the second thing I would tell myself: apply for all scholarships. Back then, I knew that college wasn't cheap. Like every other high school student, I expected my family to pay for most of it, and I didn't feel the need to apply for a lot of scholarships. Now that I am going back to school, I don't have them to fall back on. If I would have applied for more scholarships the first time around, I would have less student loan.

I brag about the affordable cost and the variety of student life activities. According to the average college or university, RCTC is very affordable for students. The school works with the state to have cheaper tuition. Aside from sports, there is a student life group for almost every topic and major. There is something for every student to be involved in.

Christopher

The unique thing about RCTC, when compaired to other community colleges, is that the facility contains 2 different colleges to choose from in one building! The community college provids a large array of associats degrees and certifications. Additionally, transfer to a university that is available within the same building provides opportunities to further your academic career, clear to a docterate level!

If I were to return to talk to myself, as a high school senior, I would recommend to go to school when I'm ready. It will do you no good to blindly choose a major at whatever school will take you. Go and experience the world in order to develope a reason to want to go to school because, you will be a different person when you are truly prepared. Once you have hindsite to what life is like without an education, you will truly appreciate knowledge and seek it out. When you are prepared for the challenge, you will perform with your whole mind and heart. When you are ready, you will have the maturity to approach college with a goal that you believe and with the passion that makes people great. You will appreciate your professors and they will respect you and your opinions. You will go to school not as a student, but as a leader! All you have to do is go to school when YOU are ready.

I describe Rochester Community and Technical College as a launching pad for my educational and professional future. The classes, staff and facilities at this location are optimal for the student searching for a place to start. The RCTC tag-line sums up exactly what the college can do for you as a student in two words: "Get There"!

Eric

My classmates are genreally quiet and respectful.

My classmates are genreally quiet and respectful.

Money, it's the force that drives much of the world. Managing money is a key skill that should be learned before gallavanting off to college and its drastically increased freedoms. But with these freedom, comes great responsibility. It is critically important to not only establish a budget, but to watch and record spending in all aspects of life. Those three dollar Starbuck's coffees and dollar-fifty gatorades drain your account without much warning. Once the semester starts and any amount of financial aid is recieved, use your statements, income, and outflow all to determine a monthly budget. Using a bank that uses online access to individual accounts is a great help in seeing a visual of your savings, as well as a spending report. Sticking to this monthly budget will not only keep you out of debt, but establish great credit strageties for the rest of your life.

The one thing that I wish I would have known is that roomates are not always going to be your friends. Just hope that you get a good rommate.

Lindsey

In this school i believe it is more one on one. You have more time with the proffessors. If you show an interest in learning and ask questions in class, they are going to be more willing to help you out when you most need them. It's not exactly a big college but that's not all bad when your just starting out. You have people all around you that are willing to help you get where your going and it's is a great place to make friends.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about college life, I would tell myself that the groups that were found in high school are gone in college. Some other advice that I would give myself is to do all the homework assignments even when their no required. If I had done all the work and tried a little harder on the assignments then I would have better understood what it was that the teacher was teaching. The last thing that I would advize myself would be to ask questions in class. Most proffessors give extra credit to the people who speek up ion class. I just never had the emotional strength to speek up. I was always woried that people would laugh at my questions and judge me before they knew me. College students are nicer than high school students and they don't judge because most of them have the same questions that you ask.

The kind of person that should not attend this college are students how don't want to be going to school and just don't care about school. You need to be willing to learn to actually learn. The professors don't have to teach you and their not going to make you do the homework; it's your money going down the drain. In this world no one can afford to waist away thier money. Just pay attentioin but if your not going to at least try to learn then there is no sence in attending college.

Kaitlyn

They are looking to find their calling in life.

They are looking to find their calling in life.

I have always loved to do everything that I posssibly could. My most important advice would be to not take on too much at once. I love to do music and theater, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Keeping care of yourself first and foremost is very curcial to staying healthy physically and mentally. If things are getting out of hand, take a break and step back. Being realistic in what one person can do is a great step. Work ahead at every possible given moment. This gives you more time to have fun and goof around. When there isn't time to enjoy life, then that takes the fun experience out of college. Remember to work hard, time manage your activities, and most importanly, have fun.

If no one would want to work hard, then they shouldn't attend college. College is where you do your best and choose a major in which you could see yourself becoming. What you get is what you give. If one doesn't do that, then they shouldn't even bother with college.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.