Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Heidi

I would tell myself to finish the college degree that I started so many years ago. I would also tell myself to think about what you want you actually want to do with your life so that a person can pick an appropriate major. I would also lecture myself on the importance of further education and that it does indeed matter.

Caitlyn

In high school, I was freaking out about college. I had big dreams and a small budget. I’d certainly tell myself that college can put you in debt extremely fast, but don’t go by the sticker price. Many colleges, especially private ones, have numerous scholarships and financial aid available. I would remind myself that even though you’re paying for college on your own, don’t get discouraged. Hard work will always pay off. Also, I was so excited to leave and be independent! I’d tell myself that it would be a huge change to go from 18 years of dependence to complete independence. It might seem fun at first, but your friends are not likely to drive 30 minutes to pick you up because your car broke down at 7:00 am. I’d definitely tell myself I’m not a failure for going to a community college first, and it was a great decision that saved $26,000! I’d tell my high school self that I’m proud of you, for the sacrifices that you made, the long hours you put into college, and most of all for working hard to accomplish your dreams.

Leaf

If had to describe my classmates I would say they were nerds.

If had to describe my classmates I would say they were nerds.

I believe that if you have a passion for anything technical you'll definitely fit in at RIT. Of course there's other majors but a majority of the people I've met are nerds like myself so if you're nerdy you should attend here.

First off I would tell my younger self to save as much money as I could from my first job becuase I didn't and it could've saved me from having to use my credit card during the school year. I would tell myself to go for the major I'm enrolled in now that way I wouldn't have to switch during year. If I could go back I would tell him to take art classes or learn from my friends that could draw that way I could improve my skills before I went off to college. I would prepare him for the trastic change of weather and diversity that would he would be heading into later that year. Not to mention all the supplies I wouldn't need to get becuase I didn't use them at all. In all I'd tell myself a couple more personal things but I pretty much covered what I'd tell myself If i could go back and tell him what I learned.

valerie

I would tell myself to follow my own passions and not try to fit my goals into what others wanted me to become. If you follow your passion you will succeed, but a career path that you choose because other people push it on you, will not make you happy. The best decisions you make in the next few years will be based on your gut, listen to your instincts. If you truly feel in your heart of hearts that something is wrong, then it probably is. There will always be someone who tells you that you will not succeed, use that negative energy as fuel and prove to yourself and the nay-sayers that you can be whatever you sent your mind to be. The most interesting people I have met in life, are the people that have true passion for their jobs. They exude happiness and it is contagious to others they work with. Be that happy, satisfied person in your career. Be the employee that everyone wants to work with, and be the college student that followed your dreams even when everyone said it was impossible.

It's reputation is impeccable, you get great experience

The professors are unwilling to move classes around to accomidate a change in schedule, it is a strict sequential schedule

Our great game design program and smart engineers! Also, our huge group of deaf people.

Make friends! College is not all about work work work. You need friends and go out when you can and enjoy yourself. You are 400 miles from home and your boyfriend. You shouldn't turn down so many opportunities to go out. Going out will keep you sane from all the work that you will have to do in college.

I wish I was more knowledgeable on video games and other "nerdy" stuff before I came here.

I was an odd teenager: I would spend the majority of my time dreaming about the vast and beautiful world and all the possibilities that lay just beyond the unremarkable greying walls of my high school. The other half, I spent in deep anxiety--- What if I fail that algebra test? What if I never matriculate into Ivy League? What if, upon failing to solve the economic crisis, I end up street-bound and penniless? That said, I would communicate to my younger self that life after high school becomes exponentially more complicated and difficult. I would say: Exorcise control on those things that are within your power. Get good grades, hold a part-time job and learn how to be a compassionate person. Failing to master the minutiae of life is just as bad as neglecting the bigger picture. I never saw myself at age 23, with half a degree, and deciding to divert my career path from 'New York Times best-seller' to foreign relations. But the beauty of youth--- or, rather of life---is to make mistakes and learn from them. I believe it is the only way to achieve true wisdom and success.

Janice

RIT is a technical focused school, in the suburbs of Rochester NY. It is a fairly expansive campus, with Division 1 hockey. It is attended by a diverse student body. Students are active participants in campus activites.

If I could go back in time, when I was a senior in HS, the year was 1982. I would tell myself that the things that felt like a "big deal" at the time were not really that "big". That consistently being nice to people would benefit everyone. That paying it forward is huge. That life is hard, and there are way bigger challenges than high school, but that the joys will be felt deeper as time goes by. I would say that people you love may hurt you, but some you love will always be there. There is a lot of mentally unstable people in this world, but don't let instability wreck your stability. That wonderful friends and family are priceless. I would remind myself that money does not buy happiness, but that working hard in school will help secure a stable job that will help with basic needs and more. Stick it out in college right after high school. Going back to get a degree at middle age is not really fun, but much needed to advance your career. Enjoy the time in high school, it was the best.

The best thing about my school is that it is easily accessible, well respected and technically focused. I enjoy the diversity of the students and faculty. I like that people challenge each other.

Andrew

I grew up on Long Island and liked the suburban atmosphere. When I arrived at RIT that was my first time being in Rochester. I was surprised how similar it was to the suburban atmosphere on Long Island. Many of the same chain restaurants and stores I was familiar with were only a short 5 minute drive away. RIT is for me in the ideal location. A short drive from malls and shopping centers, yet also right near farms and suburban communities. The best thing about RIT is that they actually listen to there students. If you have a problem with a teacher or policy and can get your class behind you, you can get that problem solved within a semester or less. If you have a good idea, you can get it implemented very quickly. The worst thing about RIT would have to be the weather. It gets very cold and windy. It can be sunny and 60 one day and freezing the next. You will get annoyed by the amount of jokes people in Rochester love to make about the random weather patterns. There is a decent amount of school pride. RIT has a division 1 hockey team but lacks any other serious sports team. The school would have much more pride if we had a more serious athletic program. This is also the main thing I would change about RIT. Invest in a football team! I am a 3rd year mechanical engineer and the staff at RIT is excellent. RIT never has any TA's teach a course (they have TA's to assist) . Real professors teach all undergrad courses. Many of these professors have spent years in the field and have first hand experience dealing with the topics covered. RIT has pretty good parties. Much better than reputation would give them. There aren't a whole bunch of gigantic crowd the streets parties (5 or so a year). But there are parties every weekend if you know where to go.

The stereotype of a typical RIT student is a nerd who sits in his room all day playing computer games. There are a few of those kids at RIT, as with any other school, but the majority of the students are friendly and normal. RIT is know for its engineering program and computer science program, but many people forget that RIT has one of the largest art schools in the country. With 15,000 students at RIT you are sure to find people with your interests and styles.

Meghan

Get a great cookbook. You will not be able to ever create Moms' lasagna. Instead, rice will be become your best friend once you master how to measure water. And stay away from diet coke and nutella-both are addicting and will not help you maintain your mile time.

Avanell

RIT is a big engineering and computer science school, in cold and snowy Rochester; apply yourself you can have a lot of fun and learn a lot.

I would tell myself not to worry and be so stressed about going to college and leaving home. As a senior you are very nervous about being on your own, but college has brought you out of your shell in so many ways. You can get good grades if you apply yourself and try your best, you will make friends if you put time into relationships. Don't date freshman year, it's a bad idea. Just take it easy, you have time, you're young. Remember that the people you hang out with shape who you are as a person more than you can imagine. Your peers are a huge infulence on your life. Be more involved in your dorm; once you move to the apartment you won't be able to build relationships with those people very easily if you haven't gotten off to a good start. Work hard, have fun, it's not the end of the world if you don't have a 4.0 or 40 friends who invite you everywhere all the time.

The lack of more artistic people and the fact that there's a LOT of guys and not very many girls.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.