Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Janice

RIT is a technical focused school, in the suburbs of Rochester NY. It is a fairly expansive campus, with Division 1 hockey. It is attended by a diverse student body. Students are active participants in campus activites.

If I could go back in time, when I was a senior in HS, the year was 1982. I would tell myself that the things that felt like a "big deal" at the time were not really that "big". That consistently being nice to people would benefit everyone. That paying it forward is huge. That life is hard, and there are way bigger challenges than high school, but that the joys will be felt deeper as time goes by. I would say that people you love may hurt you, but some you love will always be there. There is a lot of mentally unstable people in this world, but don't let instability wreck your stability. That wonderful friends and family are priceless. I would remind myself that money does not buy happiness, but that working hard in school will help secure a stable job that will help with basic needs and more. Stick it out in college right after high school. Going back to get a degree at middle age is not really fun, but much needed to advance your career. Enjoy the time in high school, it was the best.

The best thing about my school is that it is easily accessible, well respected and technically focused. I enjoy the diversity of the students and faculty. I like that people challenge each other.

Andrew

I grew up on Long Island and liked the suburban atmosphere. When I arrived at RIT that was my first time being in Rochester. I was surprised how similar it was to the suburban atmosphere on Long Island. Many of the same chain restaurants and stores I was familiar with were only a short 5 minute drive away. RIT is for me in the ideal location. A short drive from malls and shopping centers, yet also right near farms and suburban communities. The best thing about RIT is that they actually listen to there students. If you have a problem with a teacher or policy and can get your class behind you, you can get that problem solved within a semester or less. If you have a good idea, you can get it implemented very quickly. The worst thing about RIT would have to be the weather. It gets very cold and windy. It can be sunny and 60 one day and freezing the next. You will get annoyed by the amount of jokes people in Rochester love to make about the random weather patterns. There is a decent amount of school pride. RIT has a division 1 hockey team but lacks any other serious sports team. The school would have much more pride if we had a more serious athletic program. This is also the main thing I would change about RIT. Invest in a football team! I am a 3rd year mechanical engineer and the staff at RIT is excellent. RIT never has any TA's teach a course (they have TA's to assist) . Real professors teach all undergrad courses. Many of these professors have spent years in the field and have first hand experience dealing with the topics covered. RIT has pretty good parties. Much better than reputation would give them. There aren't a whole bunch of gigantic crowd the streets parties (5 or so a year). But there are parties every weekend if you know where to go.

The stereotype of a typical RIT student is a nerd who sits in his room all day playing computer games. There are a few of those kids at RIT, as with any other school, but the majority of the students are friendly and normal. RIT is know for its engineering program and computer science program, but many people forget that RIT has one of the largest art schools in the country. With 15,000 students at RIT you are sure to find people with your interests and styles.

Meghan

Get a great cookbook. You will not be able to ever create Moms' lasagna. Instead, rice will be become your best friend once you master how to measure water. And stay away from diet coke and nutella-both are addicting and will not help you maintain your mile time.

Avanell

RIT is a big engineering and computer science school, in cold and snowy Rochester; apply yourself you can have a lot of fun and learn a lot.

I would tell myself not to worry and be so stressed about going to college and leaving home. As a senior you are very nervous about being on your own, but college has brought you out of your shell in so many ways. You can get good grades if you apply yourself and try your best, you will make friends if you put time into relationships. Don't date freshman year, it's a bad idea. Just take it easy, you have time, you're young. Remember that the people you hang out with shape who you are as a person more than you can imagine. Your peers are a huge infulence on your life. Be more involved in your dorm; once you move to the apartment you won't be able to build relationships with those people very easily if you haven't gotten off to a good start. Work hard, have fun, it's not the end of the world if you don't have a 4.0 or 40 friends who invite you everywhere all the time.

The lack of more artistic people and the fact that there's a LOT of guys and not very many girls.

Lisa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would give myself knowledge that would benefit my life, me as a person and that means knowledge about education. I would tell myself that education is the key to success, and that I should go to a college counselor and find out how to get into college, and all the steps in the processfrom. I would also explain to myself about different majors, and the opportunities a good education gives a person. I would also tell myself, to never stop learning, to always continue to increase my knowledge. I would tell myself that I am a unique individual that can achieve anything she wants. I would tell myself that a great education can build up self confidence and self esteem, help achieve getting a better paying job/career, and regardless of what happens in life, knowledge is the one thing that can never be taken from you. Knowledge once absorbed belongs to the person, and the person alone. I would tell myself that education is an achievement more powerful then anything in the world, because with education a person can achieve anything.

Stephen

They offer an extensive co-op program.

They offer an extensive co-op program.

I did not have to make any major changes to how I approached school. College life is closer to what I wished other years of schooling were. There is not much advice I would need to give my high school self because I was extremely well prepared for what I needed to do in college. There were no difficulties in moving out of my childhood home, nor were their problems with my roommate, and I was able to quickly make friends. Classes were not difficult and moved at a great pace for me while teaching large amounts of information. I feel I was prepared enough for college that I did not need any extra advice.

People interested in Technology, Engineering.

Rebecca

RIT is research and career focused and tends to ignore the liberal arts and having a social life.

There is a large emphasis on research, and students in all majors are required to or encouraged to do coops and internships.

I would tell myself that it is important to make and keep friends as well as join social clubs. College can be an isolating place, especially at a college that almost exclusively focuses on academics, and many people at this college are alone or lonely. It is important to make friends, because without other people to talk to, college can be much harder and more stressful.

Caitlin

RIT is best known for their engineering and business programs. They are some of the best in the country.

I wish that I had known that it was as windy as it is in Rochester. I was not prepared for the windy days walking to class. I would tell anyone who comes to RIT in the future just to make sure they have a windbreaker or something of that sort to wear when you walk to class on the windy days.

I would tell myself not to burn myself out taking too many classes. Also, to make sure I made time for going and doing fun things.

Kristen

The one piece of advice that I would tell my high school self would be this: college is work. During high school, one does not realize how much is served on a silver platter to students. Teachers give frequent reminders about trivial matters, such as homework, quizzes, and tests. One may obtain an honor roll status without any form of active application. In college, your responsibilies are thrust onto you. Your professor will not waste precious lecture time to chide those that didn't complete their own assignments, nor try to locate the students who may not even show up to the lectures. Professors assume that you, a mature college student, can and will be responsible for homework and studying. Thus, I would tell all this to my high school senior self to prepare her for the dramatic shift that will occur in college.

I wish that I would have known how different college is from high school. During the first week of the academic year, I was very nervous that the former issues I left behind in high school would resurface. Needless to say, I quickly realized that college life is a truly unique experience that is full of more positives than negatives compared to high school.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the distance between residence halls. Had I known that most of my current friends would live in a particular residence hall, I would have chosen to live there. Instead, I chose to live in a very small, all-female dormitory floor. Although living in a small floor does have its perks, such as less crowding in the restrooms and reduced noise, I often find myself very socially isolated.

Rebecca

This school really helps you obtain a full-time job in your dream field. The co-op office staff prepares you for interviews and gives you advice on how to improve your resume. By having a co-op requirement, students here are guaranteed to succeed in life no matter what they major in. Professors here also can help you in getting an internship and are willing to help you out with any you need help with.

I wish I had more programming experience before coming to this school. It would have been much easier for me to transition to my first programming class if I had such critical experience.

I would take the AP Computer Science class, socialize more with my friends, and learn as much as I can and not for just the grades. With the AP Computer Science class under my belt, I would have a much easier time transitioning to my first programming class, which can be daunting to those who have never learning fundamental programming concepts. By socializing more with my friends, I would have deeper connections with them and have more fun in my life. Such activity is also a great stress reliever from academic coursework. With my passion for learning, I can grasp more material much quicker and achieve more success in both academics and in my career field than when I focused on just achieving that A to impress my parents. Once the stress of obtaining a grade is gone, I can accomplish more than I ever imagined. By taking more risks, I can develop more programs to impact people's lives. My dreams of becoming a video game programmer is already close thanks to my education and life lessons gained from college.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.