Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Sam

My advice to myself would be: Don't take the easy way out! Not signing up for scholarships is a bad idea, not taking classes that challenge you is a worse one. When you do get into college, remember that it's a two year college so don't take your time with school and remain diligent. Being the best you can be with your schoolwork isn't something people just tell you because they think it's fun, it IS the truth, remaining diligent will bring rewards. The more you challenge yourself and TRY, the easier life will seem. Remember to sign up for scholarships though, money can get tight in college and I never thought it was true until now. Always remember to be yourself because the people you know now will change and they will leave and you will get to meet new people but you have to be yourself. College is hard when you are trying to be someone else.

Andrea

RIT is a brick melting pot of culture, creativity, and innovation for the progress of the future.

Any person can attend this school. There are people from every walk of life and all corners of the world, no one should feel discouraged. Everyone is accepting of one another and they offer a fantastic education in lots of majors and minors. Though it is notorious for its technological and deaf community appeal, I study medicine here and love it.

I spent my last year of high school trying to make it as easy and fun as possible, while stressing about having a future the following year. As a result I put off a lot of necessary things until last minute and even skipped some important items. At this point in school as I was trying to get recommendation letters and write my applications, I was already regretting my previous years where I had neglected to get as involved as possible. With this in mind, I would make sure I did everything my senior year right. I would take the SAT's twice so I can get comparable scores, and then have enough scores to apply to certain colleges. On that note, I'd make sure I read all the collegeapplication needs and deadlines before it was too late. I'd tell myself to start hunting for scholarships as soon as possible. I would beg the me of senior year to ask my college for more money. After making sure my senior year self did all this, I'd tell me to enjoy every moment because college is an entirely different life. Take pictures and relax, it will be okay.

Jaynah

The meal plan is a pretty huge rip off.

The meal plan is a pretty huge rip off.

The most important advice I would go back and give myself, or any other high school senior is not to be afraid. I remember so clearly how terribly anxious I was about starting college in a new place, leaving all my old friends behind and starting out completely alone. However, my fear was completely needless because on the first day of college nearly every freshmen is in the same boat. Everyone has the same fears and as a result everyone is open to new friendships. The friends I made during the first few weeks of college are some of the best friends I have ever had and are friends I know will last a lifetime. So really all the fear and dread I felt during the first few days of college were completely unnecessary, because in reality it was the start of the best year of my life. I would advise any incoming freshman to cast away any fears they have about starting college and simply embrace the experience and be open to trying new things and meeting new people. Also I would tell myself to buy more EasyMac, because I lived off the stuff!

Someone who is willing to work hard, the quarter system is fast paced. Also someone friendly; too many people at RIT stay cooped up in their rooms. You have to get out there.

Alexandra

My classmates are fun, friendly, smart, helpful and unique in their own ways.

My classmates are fun, friendly, smart, helpful and unique in their own ways.

If I could go back in time, there would be many tasks I would want to complete. A major one would be to give myself advice on college life. Thinking of college before I graduated from high school made me excited, yet nervous at the same time. The most important peice of advice I would tell myself is to stay focused and have fun. My high school self would ask how this could be possible. When you are able to attend a college you love, staying focused and having fun at the same time, comes naturally. I would also tell myself to make sure that I am taking classes that let me express what I love to do in life. Starting college is not such a scary time but it is always exciting to learn new information and to make new friends. Without college, I know I would be a whole other person. This wouldn't be a bad person, but one who is not so content with her quality of life and knowledge of the world and herself. College is a very specail time in your life that stays with you forever, so remain thankful, driven, and have fun!

There is nothing that is frustrating about my school.

I think Hockey is the most popular sport on campus, but RIT encourages support for all of the sports teams by having Tiger Den Events in each sport so every team can have games with a huge crowd. If you like to play sports but don't want to play at the college level, there are also intramural sports where you can form your own team and play one of the 16 that are offered. Every year we have Homecoming weekend also known as parents weekend in October, Freezefest in February, Springfest in April, and ImagineRIT in May. Parents weekend, Freesefest, and Springfest are all on weekends and there are around four events each day with performances, guest speakers, free giveaways, and other events like 5K races. ImagineRIT is a huge weekend that brings in around 20,000 spectators from the community to see what RIT innovators (students) are coming up with. I am a part of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity and we have fundraisers, service events, and scholarship events where we learn how to do something new that we could not learn in a classroom. Since it is an Honors Fraternity, there is a GPA requirement and academics are very important. This is how I met some of my closest friends. Getting involved in an organization or club on campus is an excellent way to meet new people. There are also social fraternities and sororities and other academic fraternities on campus. While they are not a large part of the social life at RIT, I do know a few people who join them. Clubs are also very big on campus and there is a wide variety of them, around 250. On my dorm floor, not many people left their door open, including myself. The rooms were directly across from one another so it was a little weird if both people left their doors open. I have, however, been to other floors where many people left their doors open, it really depends. Last weekend I went to the Rochester Public Market with my roommate. We drove there, but there is a bus that will take you there and bring you back. There are buses that run to downtown Rochester, and also closer to RIT to the mall, grocery store, etc.

RIT is typically considered an Engineering school, but there are a wide range of majors that are equally as impressive. When I tell people I go to RIT they always say something like "Wow, that's a good school," or "Wow, you must be smart." Some people may think of RIT students as geeks, but it's only because we are focused on our studies and being successful.

Kaitlin

The school is really great for academics. Social life on the other hand is lacking. They do try though.

Students are competitive, but what school isn't. My favorite class, that I highly recommend, is the Film Arts class. The teacher is so enthusiastic and when the teacher loves what they are doing, the student loves learning it. Wines of the World is a class that I heard you must take before you leave RIT. RIT wants you to succeed so there are so many people pushing you and encouraging you to do you best and to get out in the real world.

The campus is an overall friendly and accepting school. No one would feel out of place at this school because what ever you like, we have it, if you think you are "unique" you aren't alone. This is probably the most accepting and unique schools out there.

nerds. yes most of us are nerds (as this is a technical school).

LisaMarie

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Honors program, received many scholarships, and wanted to move away from home. Also, a few of my friends from high school go to RIT.

There are a decent number of fraternities and sororities on campus. I am co-president of Lambda Pi Eta, the communication honors fraternity. In such honors fraternities, a certain GPA is required, along with community service. There is a multitude of other clubs that can satisfy anyone's interests. I have met many of my friends from my freshman year dorm neighbors and classes within my major, but also at events and parties.

The students are very accepting of all groups. There are many international students and also ethnic, religious, and sexuality groups on campus. The NTID component of RIT supports hard of hearing and deaf students, which make up another large portion of the student body. It is common to be in a class with such students, and have interpreters or captionists assisting lectures.

Naomi

I would tell myself to have a consistent schedule and STICK TO IT. I had such an irregular schedule on top of working full time at a facility where I never sat down. I would tell myself I would do my homework after work, but then I'd go home and go to sleep. Much of my assignments were done too quick for me to take in the information. Setting up a specific schedule of when I will study and do homework around my job and school will help so much. Getting a schedule set in place with a partner will motivate you even more since you won't want to let them down, "two heads are always better than one."

Jenna

The worst thing we have is the quarter system. I would rather have semesters because the quarter system is very fast paced and sometimes overwhelming.

I would tell myself to focus and study hard in my AP classes. In highschool I blew off a few of them and now I totally regret not studying harder. Also, I would say, "Don't worry about the past or present, live in the now." College is a whole new beginning, if you worry about what's to come then you'll miss out on living your senior year to the fullest.

In my opinion I would say that there isn't a "kind of person" that wouldn't enjoy going to school here. I absolutely love it and I think that it's a great school. RIT is fulled with unique people have come together to be great friends. If you don't like to work hard, then RIT is not the school for you.

Barbara

First, I guess i'll start by saying that i absolutely LOVE my school. One of the only things I think I would change is that I wish it was smaller so that it was easier to register for the classes that I wanted, and so that administration could pay more attention to individual needs rather than our needs as a whole. When I tell people I go to RIT they get pretty excited, I guess it was a great reputation, especially for Photography. Rochester is not really a "college town", but more of an art town. It's filled with all kinds of art, and it's beautiful. RIT is located on the outskirts of the city in henrietta, so it's not crazy or dangerous, but if you wanted to travel into the city it would only take about 10 minutes. Our school pride is ridiculous, especially for our hockey team. Our hockey team is our pride and joy, and the energy that can be seen at the matches is amazing, i highly recommend attending one before you decide to come here so you can see what i'm talking about.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

Because it has an amazing photography program, i received a scholarship here, it was close enough to home to drive there if I had to and I wanted to meet new and interesting people.

Hockey,photo house, greek life, and LGBT

we have a very large and welcoming LGBT society here at school, we even have drag shows once a quarter. Also, the "stereotypes" range all over the spectrum, every kind of student you could imagine is here. As for races, I think I've met one person from every race that I could possibly think of, even people that have come straight from other countries. I don't think that any student could feel out of place at RIT unless they were too stuck up to make friends. Most students wear sweats, because let's face it we're a college and nobody wants to wake up and to go class at 8am. The four kinds of tables you could find in our dining hall are the all male engineer table, the all girl table, the art kid table, and the computer science table. Students come from all across the United States and other countries across the world, but a lot of the students are from New york. The most prevalent Financial background would be the more wealthy, because this is a private school and it is expensive. I personally am not from a family of money, but it doesn't really affect how I make friends.

I think the variety of courses offered at RIT is what I love the most about the school. Most of the classes are small, roughly around 20 kids, unless it's a class that everyone in your major has to take, in that case you will probably have a large lecture, and then a small lab class if it has a lab. Class participation is very common in every class that i've had, and students study VERY hard. Because we are on the quarter system things move much faster than semesters. I'm not sure about other majors, but I know that in mine the students are very competitive, but not in a way that hinders others. Everybody helps eachother out WHENEVER we ask for help, but subconsciously we all know we're going to be competing for the same jobs when we graduate so we constantly compare ourselves to eachother. I don't spend much time with my professors outside of class, but if I needed to I know that they would be available for me. Our academic requirements are pretty simple and straight forward, and I think that they suit each major well. Lastly, my college in particular is geared towards getting us good jobs when we graduate. We have constant opportunities to meet Alumni that come speak with us, heads of companies, representatives, famous photographers, meet and greet with really important people.

The HUGE stereotype associated with RIT is "computer nerds", because of our Computer Science major and how large it it. This is pretty true, honestly. There are a lot of socially awkward people that roam around the school. but they're all nice. They are just extremely quiet and spend all of their time on their school work, so it doesn't really affect you at all, it merely just exists. Also, I guess another stereotype associated with RIT is that it's all men and ugly girls, which isn't true. There are a lot of pretty girls on campus, they are just outnumbered by the amount of men on campus.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.