Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Yasmine

Smart people who tend to be computer geeks, but are actually really cool.

Smart people who tend to be computer geeks, but are actually really cool.

Don't be afraid to get involved and make more friends. I know being out there and putting yourself out there is hard, but making more friends on youre floor might help. You will join all the right clubs and meet all the right people, this will be one of the greatest times of your life. After you're done you wont believe it's over, but take time to think about what you want to do and maybe take some skills courses while you're there.

It wasn't too small and not too big, also the campus was planned in a sensible way, dorms on one side recreation in the middle and academics on the other side. It was important for me that things were easily accessible. Also the class sizes are some of the best I have ever heard of, you really get the bang for your buck in terms of student-professor ratio.

Christopher

Interesting, computer oriented, helpful studious people.

Interesting, computer oriented, helpful studious people.

The sense of community contained within it. Most of the students aren't afraid to connect with other students to help one another achieve success.

Continue onward. College away from home will help you find out who you are when away from your comfort zone. Also fill out all the scholarships. This school is expensive, scholarships are the only way you won't hate yourself later.

NANCY

My college is best known for it's engineering and photography programs. It is one of the top photography schools in the country and is the only one that has my major which is biomedical photographic communications.

If i could go back and talk to myself in high school there are three things i would say. The first thing i would say is to not worry to much. As a high schooler I would always worrie about what was coming next, I need to learn to go with the flow. I can't control everything that happens. The second would be that is will all work out. I would try to plan every step for everything, but somtimes things don't work out that way. But, they can work them selfs out. So i don't need to be a control freak all the time. The last thing I would say is to not be scard. Yes, there are a lot of scary things about going out on your own, but there are a lot of good things too. You make a lot of new friends, and they become your family.

I don't think there is really anything bad to say. The one thing a would say is that the clubs and other activites can be disorganized.

RIT makes me smile and shake my head sometimes. I see people walking down the quarter mile wearing a Santa hat in the spring, holding a "free hugs" sing, or just a large group of people having a heated argument about video games. The culture here just amazes me. It's just such a unique culture. The best thing about this school is that you can do what you want and hardly anyone will look twice. It's college, and people do the craziest things. One of the most memorable experiences that I've had, is when it was announced that the D1 hockey team would play in the Frozen Four. This was the first time this had happened. I was a freshman at the time and EVERYBODY was going insane. When the team came back to campus that night from playing a winning away game, their fans were waiting for them by the Sentinel statue beaming. The captains and goalie crowd surfed while everybody went wild with excitement. It was great that everybody came together to celebrate this wonderful occasion.

Describe the dorms.

They are all in one location so it feels like a community. The dorms are relatively new looking (as in no cement brick walls), have nice carpet, new furniture for the lounge, and have nice sized rooms. I lived in the dorms for two years and didn't have any major problems. My first year I liked in a deaf and hearing dorm which I was a surprise to me when I got there. It was hard to communicate with deaf people. My second year was better even though it felt like the room was smaller. I made a lot more friends and it was nice going to my friends dorms. The culture of each floor is extremely unique. There are also special interest housing such as photo floor, house of general science, and international house.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It was everything I wanted in a school: easy to get to if I needed to get home, had my major, had a variety of other majors, organized, lots of activities on campus, suburbs.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Wines of the World is the most popular class. Usually only seniors get in, but I got lucky last year and just as someone dropped it, I got a spot. We tasted about seven wines each class and learned all about the history of wine. It was so informative and the teacher was a delight. What a great way to learn something new!

The major student organizations include Student Government, College Activities Board, LGBT, AANALA, residence life, Reporter magazine, Greek council, WITR, the campus radio station and a couple more. I'm involved in Hillel, which is the Jewish organization, Women's lacrosse, the graphic design club I work at the child day care on campus, and the cafeteria. There's so many things to do on campus. Most people go out to the hockey games on Friday or Saturday night. It's always a great time, especially if we win. Other nights I'll go ice skating, see a hypnotist, improv show, or movie, go to a dance, or party. I have been to dodgeball club, soccer games, looked into being in a sorority, tried out for the varsity lacrosse team, done community service, attended leadership retreats, and tried to work for Reporter magazine. My favorite activities of the year include Spring fest in which we get inflatables in the gym, tie-dye, snow cones, kan-jam tournaments and other outdoor activities. RIT also puts on a concert. Imagine RIT is also a really cool event. It's the innovation and creativity in which students get to showcase their work. About 10,000 people come to RIT that day. It's insane. As a girl on this campus, there are a lot of options to date people. You just have to keep an open mind and heart. The guys chances are a little slimmer - my advice is to just be friendly, but not in a creepy way. Off campus, theres a slew of chain restaurants and stores to go to. Going to Wegman's (supermarket) is always an adventure, you will always run into someone you know. There's also 2 malls close by, a dollar theatre, and the best 24 hour diner around.

When I go to the dining hall on campus, I am bound to know at least one face. I have met friends from my dorm, from work, from my classes, from clubs, or just randomly at an event or party. I have friends who are Jewish, non religious, Indian, gamers, designers, and deaf. There is a 70/30 guy to girl ratio, so I have more guy friends. There are so many types of people at this school that I think everyone fits in.

You have to be smart to go here. RIT puts a lot of focus on their academic success. I have taken so many classes because I love to learn. My favorite classes have included Symbol and Icon class, Wines of the World, Massage Therapy, and Metals. I'm a graphic design student, so my freshman year I had to take foundation classes, which were a pain at the time because we put in tremendous amounts of hours on projects, but looking back in it, it was worth it. My second year, we learned the fundamentals of graphic design, and this year, we art applying them to portfolio worthy pieces. Every year I get quicker with my skills and create more conceptually stronger designs. When I was interning this summer, my boss would always ask why I worked so quickly. That's what I'm used to at RIT. I don't think that my friend studying graphic design at another school has the same learning experience as I do. We have great professors with tremendous dedication, up-to-date facilities with the biggest computers I have seen, a fantastic library, and other fabulous resources.

Because RIT is a tech school, the stereotype is that there are a lot of nerds and geeks on our campus. When I came here, I knew nothing about computers or video games, and after just a few short weeks here, I met so many people that could help me update my mac and figure out any problems I was having with my wireless internet. The stereotype is true, but I love it because everybody fits in. At RIT, you will most definitely find a friend or a group of people who are interested in taking apart computers, playing World of Warcraft, or writing code together. That doesn't mean that only these types of people go here. I am a design nerd for example. The art, design, and photo school is a huge part of this campus as well, and I have found a couple of friends who share the same enthusiasm for design as I do. There are also some jocks (we do have D1 hockey), band geeks (we have a great pep band), and boarders (everybody seems to have a longboard). RIT is great because there are so many different types of people, you are bound to find one that shares the same interest as you.

John

I truly love RIT. I think the best thing about this school is that the faculty and administrators want the experiences here to vault you to as many future opportunities as possible. Everyone stands committed to help you understand and achieve your goals. Through Co-Ops (meaning within the engineering discipline) I have received a very good reaction toward my being a student at RIT. The school has done a great job of making a name for pumping solid professionals into industry. The RIT community can seem fractured at times. Students typically move away from campus after their first year, and the school has little outside of class to attract students back to the bubble. There is no "college town" vibe. After regular class times, RIT can seem a bit vacant. With that said, there are always events going on in and around campus, its just a matter of going.

To start with freshman year, dorm life is great! Well it was for me anyway, I know people that would disagree but this is my impression. It is great having a random group of guys and girls living away from home for the first time together, dealing with the same type of problems and sharing their past experiences together. A large number of my friends come from my floor freshman year. The dating seen at RIT is terrible, but not hopeless. My girlfriend (who lived 3 doors down from me freshman year) and I have been seeing each other for 2 years now. But not everyone is lucky. Unfortunately, many people get frustrated and a lot even give up. But if you stay strong and don't loose hope, the opportunities do exist. Partying is always an available option if that is your cup of tea. It should never be difficult to find something going on near campus. Just be careful of priorities. I have some horror stories from freshman year concerning a few people that are no-longer students at RIT

Students at this school truly run the gamut. Students from almost any socioeconomic background, continent, and religion can be found. I find the student population to be forward thinking, and probably are slightly skewed to the left politically. It is incredibly easy to meet and talk with someone who has lead an entirely different life from your own. The school is also very open and curious about different groups, and I've found it a very healthy place for intelligent discussion.

As a Mechanical Engineering student, I find the academics within my department to be very satisfactory. It is easy to get to know the professors and they are almost always helpful on a 1 on 1 level. Also, since RIT is such a diverse campus, the possibility of taking a slew of different courses (given you have room in your schedule) is always there. From art and photography to advanced physics or philosophy, you should be able to pick some fun or engaging electives aside from the rigors of your specific discipline.

The most common RIT stereotype is without a doubt is the World of Warcraft junkie. This guy (or girl) can be seen with bed hair in your 2-4pm class, riding his razor scooter to class, or hunting for human flesh twice a year during Humans Vs Zombies. Although this particular clique may come to mind first, RIT is host to about any stereotypical group imaginable; and all these groups seem to find a healthy environment within RIT's campus.

megan

RIT is awesome! I did not go to RIT my freshman year, but when I transferred here I felt like I belonged. The students here are friendly and the professors are helpful and overall very nice. The best thing about RIT would have to be the atmosphere. If you felt like you did not fit in with the students in your high school, then you will most likely fit in here. When I tell people I go to RIT, they are very impressed. The school has a good reputation and it deserves it. I did not have school pride at my high school or my first college, but I definitely do at RIT.

There are so many groups and activities available to students here at RIT. I believe the largest club on campus is the Anime club where people come together to watch and talk about Anime movies and series. Also, supporting our D-1 men's hockey team is a huge thing here. There are always large crowds at Ritter arena for hockey games. The students and fans get really into it and it is always a fun time when going to a hockey game. You can see many students hanging around in the tunnels under the dorms on weekend nights, getting a late night snack at one of the convenient stores on campus. There are parties almost every weekend either at the apartments on campus of the off campus apartments. The good thing about RIT is, you do not need to drink in order to have fun. My friends and I do not drink and we have a blast on the weekends by playing videogames, card games, or just talking and hanging out.

There is a wide variety of students at RIT. Many different races, religions, and personalities. No student would feel left out here. A lot of people see RIT as a school for nerds, but we are well known for our hockey team too, and plenty of other sports so that even sporty people will feel comfortable here. Some students stick out at RIT, like the "free hugs" guy, or "santa hat" girl. Although the campus is large, students know one another. Some dress up for class while others wear sweats. Its not often you hear people judging another which is a great difference from my last school. Most students are from the US, mainly New York, but there are many foreign students at RIT. I personally love the diversity that RIT has. I like to learn about different cultures and meeting new people and this campus gave me the opportunity to do so.

The academics here at RIT are exceptional. Every professor I have had here so far knows my name and some of the classes I have had are pretty big. Studying is something that you need to do here if you want to do well. Most professors encourage debate throughout class to get students involved. Sometimes the workload can be overwhelming, but it prepares us for the work we will need to do after graduation. My major is New Media Interactive Development in the Interactive Games & Media department. It is unlike anything I thought I would be doing at this point in my life. In this major, students use Adobe products to get work done, whether it be Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Flash. When I was young and was asked what I wanted to do when I grow up, I never thought designing websites and making Flash games and programs would be an option. At RIT, it is. The best part is, I know I will have work after I graduate from RIT because some programs at RIT require co-op, so I will have the experience I need to get a good job after graduation.

The stereotype of RIT students would be nerdy. The stereotype is true for most students but not all. Sure, a good amount of students stay in their dorm rooms on their laptops for entertainment, but there are other students who go out to parties and enjoy sports.

Kyle

If you're looking to get a grade-A education in any technical field, then RIT is definitely the college for you!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Hockey is our one big sport on campus.

They will definitely be surprised at all the red brick buildings they see.

What are your classes like?

Packed full of new and interesting materials. Lot of work, but you learn a lot!

Hockey is definitely a popular sport at RIT.

RIT students are composed of a wide range of ethnicities that all interact and get along.

The best for technical classes and we are improving on our general education classes.

The stereotype of students at RIT is definitely GEEK! But we are definitely proud of it!

Ryan

Stereotype at my school is a Group of nerd who do nothing but stay inside and play video games. This is true for some people, more than I'd like it to be. But there is also a good chunk of people who are involved with on campus activities and like to go out and have fun! There are a wealth of clubs and leadership opportunities with in those clubs, as well as departments and Student Government who are eager to support and see clubs grow and expand.

Mary

I know you are sitting in class right now wondering if you are going to go to college, wondering if you are smart enough, and if you have enough resorces to make it in college. How do I know this you might ask, I will tell you, I am you in a year, going to college and loving it. You as a high school student should not think of college as a option, but as a choice that you have already made, I don't want you to put your acedemic degrees on the back burner. If I was to have a do over of highschool I would take as many AP and honors classes as I possibly could fit in my schedual, sure you might be thinking but that is hard, and a lot of extra work. All I can say is it is worth it. You will look better on paper when colleges look at your academic record, you will save TONS of money by taking college level high school classes. Trust yourself, and believe that you can do this, as unlikely as it seems now you actually end up enjoying those hard classes and ultimatly college.

Kirby

My classmates are committed, devoted, helpful, intelligent, fun-loving and inspiring.

I would tell myself that a commitment to academics is a commitment to my future. I will only get out of the experience what I put in. I would also tell myself that it is ok not to have it all figured out, but that the most important thing to do is stay true to myself and to follow my passions.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.