Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Alex

The best thing about RIT is the guys to girls ratio. I would change the layout of the buildings on campus to be less windy. It's just about the right size. People think I'm a nerd and/or smart because i go to RIT. I spend most of my time either in my apartment or hanging out in my work office. what college town? I believe the biggest recent controversy was the rugby team event. i think there is a lot of school pride whether people want to admit it or not. When I go down the quarter mile I see more than half are wearing RIT clothing.

the housing operations staff are horrible dumb rude people. the new apartments that are being built should be through rit and should be cheaper then $800 per room per month. and they should have tunnels underneath buildings on the academic side especially between the hockey rink and the field house.

Some do. No favorites. least favorites are usually the ones with the boring professors. yes we have intellectual conversations outside of class and yes competitive. My major is Networking Security Sys admin. I do not spend time with professors outside of class although I wish i did. but usually when im done with classes i want to be as far away from school as possible. I think the classes are hard but maybe because i'm not one whose able to study or a good test taker but i learn way more in the labs hands on then in lectures

hockey, soccer, and lacrosse. im on the tennis team. we are such a small team which brings us closer together. sometimes they leave their doors open. hockey games are very popular. not so sure about guest speakers and theater, or the dating scene. i met my closest friends from the tennis team. playing on my computer/ procrastinating. brick city weekend and spring fest. Every weekend people party. frats and sororities dont seem to be too important here. last weekend i worked and then hung out with friends at night. bowling and play wii. shopping or go home

were all nerds and we sit in front of the computer 98% of our free time

Cassie

Sometimes I get the impression that RIT is a next-to-Ivy-League school, and sometimes I feel like we're not doing as well as we could. I tell people I'm attending RIT and I get responses like, "Oh, wow, you must be brilliant." However, some of my teachers have been mediocre - the ones integral to my major, incidentally. What I like most about RIT is that it's easy to become a leader in extracurriculars. While RIT doesn't have an official music program and its arts are limited, there's a lot to do in the city of Rochester. All you need is a car and an interest, and you'll be endlessly entertained. For instance, last night I went to a swing dance downtown for the first time, and had a great time. Afterwards everyone was invited to the swing instructor's house for some more dancing. It was fantastic. Also, a lot of touring companies for Broadway shows come to Rochester. This year we had The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Avenue Q, Wicked, among others. There's a good amount of community theater to get involved in, including the RIT Players, RIT's biggest theater group. This year we did a musical: On The Twentieth Century. Our tech crew is fabulous, as one would expect from a technical institute.

The student body at RIT is very diverse. We have students from a lot of different countries, though most of our student body is middle-class Caucasian. The biggest difference between RIT's population and any other institute/university is that we have the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID). 10% of the student population is deaf or hard-of-hearing. This means learning a little bit of sign language can benefit you a lot - it's a little awkward to try to talk to someone and not know how.

RIT is a good school, but I'm transferring to Cornell in the fall.

There are a lot of guys who fit the "WOW/creeper" stereotype, but most guys here seem to just not know how to make friends like normal people. Once you get them out of their RPG shell (assuming this is at all possible) they can actually be great people. As a female, I can truthfully say that the male:female ratio is just fine. Most of the girls here are perfectly normal.

All of my professors know my name. Even in lectures of 70 people, my professors are willing to talk one-on-one, especially if they see your interest. I'm dissatisfied with my Intro Biology and General/Analytical Chemistry professors. Neither of them really teaches; they just throw equations or facts up on the board and talk without getting anywhere. As a result I've struggled in Biology, even though I'm an eager and capable student. However, I'm told by upperclassmen that the upper level courses are much better. RIT's goal is to prepare you to jump straight into work in whatever field you're interested in. There is a ton of research available on campus or at the University of Rochester.

I'm involved with RIT Singers, Swing Dance Club, RIT Players, and the RIT Orchestra. There's quite a bit of theater to be involved with or see, if you're interested. There are also deaf theatre opportunities available. I went to a swing dance in downtown Rochester last night, and had a great time. The RIT Singers are wonderful - most of the guys in it are in a capella groups on their own, so the lower voices are very strong. The orchestra is small but looking to grow but I personally don't like the orchestral director much at all. Hockey is a huge deal on campus, probably because it's the only sport we're actually good at. In the honors dorm, everyone leaves their doors open. Everyone's very friendly and willing to hang out pretty much at any hour of the day or night.

RIT is a technical institute, so the stereotypes revolve around the nerdy tendencies of its students. For instance, the "creeper" or "WOW (World of Warcraft) addict" are major stereotypes. 70% of the student population is male, and it's commonly said that a good amount of girls here are also of the "socially inept" type, leaving the date-able female population unfortunately low for those guys who are capable of seeking out relationships.

Evan

RIT is not a competetive school. It's great. Students help each other to succeed. It's a very casual place, jeans and shorts, even PJ pants are worn to class. Professors dont care, as long as you show up and are fully clothed. Most RIT students are from the Northeast. We have a large international population (like 91 countries I think). But we do represent all 50 states. I have a friend from Alaska and another one from Hawaii. I myself am from South Florida.

RIT is not a sports focused school. Our football has been undefeated since 1978 which is a great accomplishment (since the program was canceled in '78). Our Hockey team has recently gone division one and is doing extrememyl well.

To an extent. RIT has a large art program and liberal arts school that helps balance out the student population. Most of the business, engineering students and art students dont fit into the stereotype, which is at least half of the population. Also, the school has been doing a lot to increase the female population and were at about 60% male, 40% female. Maybe even better at this point.

Class size here is very small, my largest class was 45 students. Professors get to know their students. They all hold office hours during the week and they are honestly trying to help. They really want you to do well. It's also great when you see past professors in the hallway or outside of school and they know who you are. RIT is based on a quarter system, not semester system. So we have classes for 10 weeks instead of 16 weeks. It's faster paced and I enjoy it. If you have a class you dont like, it's over in 10 weeks. RIT is also one of the top schools in the nation for it's Co-op program. When I graduate, I will have 15 months of work experience. I have already completed one Co-op. It's great, I receive invaluable work experience and decent pay.

RIT carrys a stereotype of being a nerdy school. But it really isn't. I've been to other tech schools and RIT has it's share of nerdy, geeky kids that see the sun more in video games on their computer then the real sun. Also, i's assumed the female population is on the low side.

Kristin

1. The endless amount of opportunities that RIT offers to its students... it is just a matter of promoting them and letting students know what is available 2. I would change the school unity... I would make it exist or help encourage students to interact and support many organizations. 3. I think RIT is just the right size. 4. They are impressed. The automatically assume I'm intelligent and have a great career ahead of me. 5. I spend most of my time in the Athletic Department. 6. There is not a lot of school pride, but we are working on that through Division I Men's Hockey, SAAC, and Tiger Den. 7. RIT is a very big video/online gaming school. Students devote their lives to playing on computers or doing their homework. 8. I will always remember Dr. Destler's Challenge. 9. Lack of school unity, RIT doesn't care about them, quarter system is too hard, we are doing twice the amount of work in half the amount of time compared to semester schools

1. I haven't spent a lot of time with different cultures, but it is a prominent component of RIT. 2. Students who are big partiers, do not care about academics, and are not that intelligent. 3. Most students wear whatever they want. It ranges from upper-scale designer lines, to wal-mart, to culture related dress, to athletic apparel. 4. Students spend a lot of time interacting with one another. 6. There are a lot of international students at RIT, but many people are from the New York/East Coast area. 7. Most students appear to come from well-off/rich families.

Some of them are, some of them are not. It is difficult because it is all based on perception and from what vantage point you are looking at the campus. I can see where the stereotypes come from, but RIT is working hard to change them and get RIT students more involved in the campus.

1. All my professors in my college and in liberal arts knew my name. 2. My favorite class was Professional Selling because of the life lessons and hands on experience I encountered. 3. My least favorite was MMP because it was so hard and I did not feel I learned anything new. I also struggled with Cost & Managerial Accounting to fast paced for me to stay up-to speed with the material. 4. Students study alot, they have no choice because of the quarter system. It is an expecation that you are organized and diligent because otherwise you won't survive. 5. There are many groups of students who spend a significant amount of time having intellectual conversations outside of the class. You can hear it in the SAU, Crossroads, Library, Java's, lobbies, etc... 6. RIT breeds competitiion. They promote teamwork but they want students to be the best and prove that they are number one. Students are definitely competitve. 7. The most unique class I have taken is Food & Wine Pairing. 8. I am a marketing major. I really enjoy it and I feel that I am more than well prepared for a career in my desired field. It is a very well thought out, hands on program. 9. I usually visit them during their office hours or stop in to say hi. 10. I think RIT's academic requirements are intense, high, and require a lot from students. 11. It is definitely geared towards getting a job.

1. SG, Greek Life, RIT Athletics 2. I'm heavily involved with athletics because I played 4 years varsity soccer and I was the co-founder of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. I have spent a lot of time developing the Athletics programs and to help build athlete-RIT community relations. 3. It is encouraged for students to leave their doors open, but I did not see if happen regularly when I lived in the dorms. 4. Hockey and Lacrosse are very popular, we are working on building up the popularity of the other programs. 5. Dating scene is limited... 75% males to 25% females. Most people do not find their significant other until post-RIT 6. I met them through sports. 7. People do not party that often because RIT is a dry-campus and there is a strict drinking policy. Most students go off campus to drink or drink in their apartments. 8. Greek Life is prevalent but it is not a strong component of the RIT campus. 9. There are many things to do in Rochester that do not involve drinking. Rochester has 4 semi-pro teams for different sports, 2 theaters, numerous off-broad way productions, festivals, etc..

All RIT students are individuals and do not have any social skills Students are nerds and live in their dorm rooms/apartments playing video games RIT works hard to bring students in and then forgets about them RIT has not school unity people want to graduate as soon as possible RIT students are only focused on themselves and do not care about anyone else

Alex

RIT's pretty much what you make of it. There's tons of teachers with loads of experiences that can help you get where you want to go if you're shooting for something really grand. But there's also a bunch of potheads that just chill around all day, and do whatever it is that amuses them. The dorms are pretty nice because of the cleaning staff, and there's a selection of apartments that are nice to move on to. If you're semi-rich, they just built a huge college town where the apartments are amazing...from what I hear. You can find good food usually, and if not there's always the magic of Wegmens. Library's nice and there's some pretty spots on campus. Just beware of the wind, it can make you tear by the time you get to class.

There's people here from around the world, and they represent every kind of interest. There's clubs and activities put on by the student government, but since it's a large campus you just have to remember they DO exist. There's artists and there's engineers, so you can dress as nice or crappy as you want.

The girl to guy ratio take s a while to get used to. It can get really creepy if you're a girl, but sometimes I think we get spoiled. There's random encounters where you have no idea what the guy was thinking, but then at parties girls might get a lot of attention just by default. and p.s. academically it's a lot of work no matter what

I think there's definitely a good amount of geniuses with a lack of social skills that are a bit obsessive with computers and such, but I'm also sure about the intelligence part of it as well. I think it's very hard to find someone here who doesn't belong academically. Nobody got in as a fluke; everyone has some sort of an idea about the world or life in general...even if it may be a bit crazy. It's just every single person I've met is interesting; we all have our own story, and that's really cool to see.

RIT has really smart kids, and the professors make them use their brains. It's a lot of hard work with a quick pace because of the ten weeks, but for me, it's worth it in the end.

Hockey is big. If you have good friends, that's all that matters. movies and games are big. There's all kinds of people, those who drink all the time, or once in a while or never. There are sororities and fraternities that just love themselves. But I don't think anybody else cares. There's no popularity associations with them.

Before I came here, I just thought of RIT as big on intelligence and technology in the classroom. After I came here, it seems there's a stereotype that's been created about RIT from within conveying a bunch of geeks playing World of Warcraft on the weekends.

Donald

Answers to questions in order asked: We have lots of freedom. I would change the male/female ratio, but I don't think that's what this question is asking. The alcohol policy (dry campus) sucks, but it's never enforced so that's kind of a non-issue. I'd have to say change the faculty. My teachers have been thoroughly disappointing. The size of the school is just right. Some react positively, some negatively. I spend time all over the place, evenly divided between work, class, my apartment, other people's apartment, dining areas, and the gym (the gym is fucking sweet). College town... yeah... The administration is alright, but my professors fucking suck. Last controversy? Some kid bringing a gun into the RIT inn, I believe. We never get any fucking snow days. Really shitty. And the Girl/Guy ratio is abysmal. Life changing experience... can't talk about that, but it happened my freshman year and it was fucking amazing. (No I'm not talking about getting laid.) I hate my life. (Also: I hate my major.)

People here think "race, religion, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other various things" are a reeaaallllyyy fucking big deal. It sickens me. I don't give a fuck if you're Black, Asian, gay, rich, poor, a drug addict, or claustrophobic. People are people. All these groups seemed to determined to make the point that everyone is equal, yet they choose to do so by point out all of our differences. People are just people. Why so much obsession over the differences? Getting back to the question - Yes, the various racial, religious, social, sexual, and lifestyle groups definitely have a very predominant role on this campus. I tend to stay away from them as they fill me with disgust, though I'm sure they wouldn't still be around if they weren't helping out a lot of people. I think it's really tough to feel out of place at RIT. We seem to have the entire array, from drunken frat boy assholes to nerdy computer geeks, and everything in between. What's weird is that you see a lot of friendships between types of people that you never expect - drunken frat boys and nerdy computer geeks, for example. Jeans and t-shirt. No coats even though it's 8 degrees outside and snowing. Yes different types of students interact quite frequently (see above). Two of them are tables that can seat eight people, but someone is sitting there eating alone listening to an iPod or reading a book. Another table is a group of four guys talking about computer stuff, and the last is two girls. Occasionally substitute one these four, at random, for a large, well-balanced mix of male and female students. We're all from the Northeast, Texas, or Alaska. Most of us are well off. This is a college campus, that really isn't much of a question... we're a shitload of liberals. Salary is pretty god damn important here, yeah.

If there are any law enforcement officials reading this, I don't actually ingest, nor encourage the ingestion of, alcoholic beverages. However, I felt that implying my frequent consumption of alcoholic beverages would portray a more appealing scholastic environment for high school students seeking a college that will be a good fit for them.

There are some kids here who fit that description, but not many more than you're likely to find at any other top academic or tech school in the country. Most of us are normal.

Yeah they do. My Film Arts elective was incredible. I learned a great deal about the art of film (imagine that) and the class was incredibly interesting. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but I learned more from this one elective than I did from a year and half of classes related to my majors. Also, the professor's lectures were logical, ordered, structured, and appropriate to the audience, and you could tell he actually gave a fuck about the class, which is more than I could say for my other teachers. (And although my major is listed as Psychology, the shitty teachers I reference are from my time as a Networking Major.) My least favorite class was OS Scripting because it was a bunch of fucking bullshit that I never would have used for any practical purpose and the teacher was an asshole. It seems like most of us don't study at all, but I'm probably just more inclined to make friends with lazy scumbags rather than studious individuals. We have many intellectual conversations covering a broad range of topics, which is something I quite enjoy about this school. I don't know many competitive people. It seems most of us are either too jaded to care or didn't care in the first place. Most unique class, again, was Film Arts. Watching and talking about movies six hours a week with an extremely intelligent and well organized professor, you really can't possibly beat that. Can't comment on Psychology as I just switched into it very recently. The Networking department seemed to think that they didn't really have to teach, as anyone who would be in that major loves computer stuff so much that they'll just go out and learn it on their own anyways, so what's the point in teaching it? I think the major was designed specifically for kids with a passion for computer technology, which I just didn't have, so it didn't work out for me. But apparently it works great for other people, so if that's their method of weeding out all the people who don't belong, then I guess they're doing their job. (I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, that's just honestly how it seems. I don't fault them for it or hold a grudge, but I do think it's an accurate appraisal of the situation.) I rarely spend time with professors outside of class, but when I have, it has been good. Three of my professors have taken me and other students out to dinner, and a group of faculty took us to an internet cafe to kill each other in computer games, which is always fun. Academic requirements are pretty lenient, which is good since it seems like it doesn't take much to fuck your grades up pretty bad. Especially at a quarter-system school where one bad test can have devastating results. RIT doesn't punish you stuff like that unless you screw up repeatedly. Getting a job! Screw the learning, go get a career and send us donations.

I think Frisbee is pretty big. Probably the anime and videogame clubs as well, I assume. I'm involved in a group that gets drunk a lot. We blast music too loud and make fun of people while failing miserably at darts and random Wii games. Probably the best student group on campus, or at least damn near the top. My dorm was fucking miserable, but I hear most of them aren't too bad. Athletic events and speakers are usually quite a big hit. The dating scene really ain't too bad, a big of a surprise as that may be. I met the majority of my friends through the consumption of massive amounts of alcoholic beverages, of course. 2 AM on Tuesday I'm either watching movies or playing videogames. None worth mentioning. Parties seem pretty frequent. Frats and Sororities act like they're a big deal, but I don't think too many people really take them seriously. Last weekend I got ridiculously drunk and sucked at darts. Also played computer games. Uh... sleep? Go bowling.

We're a bunch of out of shape computer nerds that watch anime at LAN parties all day with no females anywhere to be found.

Sara

The best thing about RIT is that it's hard to ever get bored. There is way too much to do at any given time. 15,000 students may seem like a very intimidating number, but it hardly ever seems like there are that many people, especially once you find your niche and get involved with clubs, jobs, groups, classes and friends. It's hard to walk down the quarter mile without seeing at least five people you know. If you're looking for a small-town university where everyone knows everyone's name, it's not going to happen here, but I think the size is just right for us because it's nice having that many different people around. There are always interesting people to meet. Right now there isn't much of a college town - in fact, "going out" usually means going downtown or to off-campus houses, but if you've been by the campus at all recently, the improvements are substantial. The "Park Point" college town is expected to be completed by August 2008 and is gorgeous, including new apartments, a Barnes and Noble, shops, bars and more, and will hopefully increase the social life around campus a bit.

It's hard for anyone to feel out of place at RIT considering how many different groups, clubs, jobs and events there are. It's near impossible to categorize 15,000 students into financial backgrounds, political opinions, etc. - there is such a diversity of people. Different types of students interact all the time. Many of my friends are international students, and it makes the campus so much more interesting.

RIT has a bad rap for being a nerd school, but don't be afraid to give it a chance. While it's not as big of a party school as most states schools, once you find your niche and your friends, you always find something to do. The best advice I can give is to get involved - play a sport, join an organization, get a job. All of these will help you meet great people.

Well, it's called Brick City for a reason. While, yes, the bricks are everywhere, you stop noticing it after a while and try to notice other things. As for the students, sure, we walk with our heads down, but that's only when we're trying to avoid the stinging wind or the blinding sun. When it comes to types of students, you'll find all of the above here, but with somewhere around 15,000 undergrads, you're bound to find a lot more, too. Students range from World-of-Warcraft addicts who are satisfied with 48 straight hours of gaming, pop and twizzlers, to those who enjoy socializing and partying every night of the week. The ratio of guys to girls is definitely guy-heavy, but guys, have no fear - depending on majors and where you choose to get involved in, the ratio tends to even out.

Depending on what classes you're enrolled in, there's either a good chance the professor knows every person in the class, or a chance that you're just another face in the crowd. Freshman lectures tend to be impersonal, but once you get into your "core" classes that pertain to your major, professors get to know you much better. In a seventy person marketing class this past fall, my professor actually took the time to learn everyone's name - impressive. There are professors that make you want to go to class and those that make you want to stay as far away as possible. Students are competitive in most cases, but it makes it interesting. I'm in the Multidisciplinary program, which combines classes from a variety of chosen majors, so I'm not exclusively involved in one department, but I still find it easy to get to know the professors in each department and get help when I need it. For the most part, everyone is very approachable. Academic requirements are usually pretty fair - the liberal arts credits are easy to fill up, especially if you come in with AP credits, and the math and sciences aren't excruciating. The beautiful thing about the RIT curriculum is how easy it makes it to find a job after graduating. The job fairs and co-op advisors really help you to find co-ops and internships in your respective fields, and help you to gain the experience that employers look for after graduation. Of course, it still takes a lot of effort on our part as the student, but it's worth the work.

Student Government is probably the most prominent organization on campus, because they are visible and make themselves known, but there are a million other groups that I can't even pretend to know. I'm personally involved with SAAC - the Student Athletic Advisory Committee. We are representatives from RIT's sports teams who organize community activities and try to promote interactivity between athletes and non-athletes, as well as "school spirit" at sporting events. Besides this group, I'm part of a couple others, and I also hold two jobs on campus. It helps you really get to know the campus and meet so many different people. Dorms are interesting - the floors can be crazy or quiet. Freshman year, we never left our door shut and hardly ever even locked it (not that I would recommend this), but that was how close our whole floor was. CAB - the College Activities Board, usually holds events throughout the weekend, including Thursday night's cinema night, Friday's "Friday Night in the Ritz", which is usually some kind of open-mic night or other activity. "Thirsty Thursday" is tradition, and parties also of course go on during Friday and Saturday nights. There are pretty strict guidelines about alcohol in the dorms, but it is allowed in apartments as long as you're of age - of course these guidelines are always stretched by students. There are some sweet places to go downtown for dancing, as well as bars in the area for hanging out. Drinking isn't everything though - there are plenty of places to go for coffee, bowling, video games, etc. Oh, and the dollar theatre is always a good choice.

RIT: Brick, brick, brick. It's hard to differentiate one building from another on this campus, because they all look the same. RIT Students: We all walk down the quarter mile with our heads down, avoiding eye contact and social interaction at all means. Students classify as gamers, loners, anti-social, too smart for their own good, tech-nerds, hippies, etc. Oh, and the campus is flooded with guys, guys, guys.

Chelsea

RIT seems to be a fairly open-minded and inclusive campus. Being a lesbian, I have never been the target of gay bashing on campus. Compared to when I first came to RIT, the GLBT community has grown and expanded through RIT Gay Alliance (RITGA) as well as by recently obtaining a GLBTQ Center on campus. Although I feel RITGA has a lot of work to do in proving its worth and showing more GLBTQ support and pride, I have seen impovements and am hopeful that RITGA will become even stronger in the near future with the aid of the new center.

I would like to say no, but within the college of engineering I'm afraid it's true. However, there are many other colleges within RIT that contain a large variety of people and cultures.

Majority of students are antisocial computer geeks with no social skills.

Gene

RIT is very.... designed by an engineer. All the buildings are numbered in some crazy order that you would have to spin the map and throw numbered darts to understand, but you pick it up fast. The size at least compared to what I've grown up next to (THE Ohio State University) this is a small medium sized school in both student population and campus physical layout. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon can normally be done in like 2 or 3 here, and walking from dorms to academic side is over dramatized. Normally on foot (gentle mozzy) it's like 12-15 with a strong head on wind. Freshman year so far has been spent on campus, but really there are so many things to do like events (which normally have FREE FOOD!) are a blast and come on, Free Thursday Night Movie, more people should go, that's all I'm sayin. Hockey games are a must even if you don't understand the game it's a blast, I mean guys shoving each-other into the walls.... WHO DOESN"T WANT TO SEE THAT!

The people at RIT are just your atypical bunch, yeah sure there are the groups of once high school jocks and preppy bitches, but for the most part it's sad to say, but it's a school for the average nerd/dork/geek/ or whatever. Most the people here got picked on and have a variety of interest. I mean come on how many schools say their largest club is the Animie Club. Being with Deaf students is an experience too. I mean you get used to hearing noises that sound like a seal barking, or the pure passionate moans of sex a few floors below you. Most can't hear at all so why should they care, it catches you off guard at first, and their giggles from all the hearing students, but there's really no difference other than where your "voice" comes from. You don't have to learn sign but knowing some really does help. I mean, at the cafeteria I learned to sign cheese because I always ask for a slice of cheese for my Chicken sandwich, so most of it's just from . I know plenty of people though that don't use any and get along just fine. Expect to see a lot of people from the state of New York, and if you're from a state west of New York (Mid West) like me, everyone has this stigmatism of hillbillies until you get to a major city and then it breaks up and once out of it it starts up again. Nothing horrible just comical, at how New Yorkers know nothing about geography.

Okay, roughly a month before I came to school, I went through a large lifestyle change. I both came out to myself, family, and a few close friends. It was a large weight off my shoulders, and it also helped that everyone was fine with it... so far, but then that weight was replaced with another one, when another gay friend of mine had told me that because of him being gay he had already gone through two different roommates, before he even moved in. This FREAKED me out at what my future roomie might say or react horribly and I would end up alone and get charged a single rate. I was going to be over five hours away from home, without any friends or family for me to talk to or get to if something went negative with my future roomie. So I decided not to tell my roomie right away, I mean it had only been about a month, I was still getting used to it. Well, then cames move in day, we meet everything is going well, and move in day turns to days, days turn to weeks, and weeks turn to midterm. I was using this time to try to figure out how my roomie might react so there wasn't mass anger or fear when I told him, also I wanted him to realize that just because I was gay only changed was whom I was attracted to, and nothing else. So one day I asked him out of genuine interest, when he first found out I was his roommate, what kind of person did he expect, and what kind of stereotypes he had placed on me (just out of human nature) including those first few weeks we had lived together. Well one of the first stereotypes he had was based off my Facebook interests, Theater, so he said that he expected that I could be gay and he was fine with that, but that he didn't want to bring it up, as long as I wasn't hitting on him. So the conversation continues, and when it kind of dies down a little I took in a deep breath and tell him he wasn't wrong, and that I was, and am gay. So we talk about how it was all good, how this came to be, and if there were any taboo things he couldn't say or do, and if he had already done/said some already. But I just said "I would have said something already, I'm still me, gay or not". It all worked out and college how been a blast so far. I just really want to say (yes even after my three month story) that yes there are people here that or racists, homophobes, and stereotypists, but they're small and there are so many open arms that they're practically invisible.

No, not really. Now yes you see those people around, but most of the people here at RIT are friendly, sunshine enthusiasts so do not be to fearful, and just know you jump out of your safety zone it'll be SO MUCH better in the long run.

Classes here vary from quarter to quarter, person to person, major to major, and every other imbetween. Studying is recommended for classes that aren't project based, and I rarely see someone who never has time to relax and hang-out because of studying or class work all the time, but there are those select times, but normally they're only like 2-3 days long. Most of the professors work at learning names, and if you talk to them the sooner they learn it. I've even just been talking with professors as we leave that class to the point either I walk to their car or they walk to my dorm building and then one of us realize, "Crap, wrong way!" (never any missed classes or such, due to this thankfully).

Some stereotypes for RIT, at least the ones that I told other people were that "RIT students are just a large group of Star Wars, D&D, Lord of the Ring, nerds that do not even see the light of day when it can be avoided.

Alex

Whatever it may be - if it's something fairly geeky or obscure, you'll find a group of people that know it and love it. I would change the housing process, including the mess that is the Park Point apartments - $1000 per student per month, with no priority to RIT students? What a joke. The school is just right- plenty of diversity, and you're rarely stuck with the same group of people for more than two classes. People are impressed when I say that I go to RIT. I spend most of my time in the residence halls. "What college town?" I honestly don't want a college town, I like where the bookstore is placed currently. RIT administration, I don't think they really think things through, or consider what will actually benefit students. Recent controversy? Some graphics media professor being arrested for child rape. School pride is there, but most people don't care. I don't. RIT's building design and placement has created a wind tunnel for students walking to classes. It's terrible on windy days, what is 50-60mph winds elsewhere is magnified to 75-80mph winds between the buildings. I'll always remember the Legend of Zelda race that was held on our floor's lounge. Four tvs, two gamecubes, a Wii and a Nintendo 64, 12 hours of fun.

The RIT Gay Alliance thoroughly disappointed me with its lack of organization, and the general feeling of being ignored/unwanted because I did not care about the "gay agenda" nor did I identify as anything. Cliques formed very quickly amongst new group members, and I stopped going to meetings after a month. I can't think of any student that wouldn't be welcome here- even the non-tech savvy enjoy it here. I can't stereotype what "most students" wear because there is too great of a diversity of people on campus. Different students interact, although there is often a hesitance between different groups sometimes because of communication issues. Most RIT students are from within New York State, particularly the Rochester area.

The way that RIT gives special treatment to deaf students when it comes to class registration is ridiculous. They get to register a day ahead of their hearing classmates, and professors are required to hold some spots in their class for deaf students to register. They also gives special treatment to the Greek houses when it comes to the alcohol policy. The campus is a dry campus, so if anyone is caught with alcohol on campus, they are immediately punished. However, the Greek houses are allowed to have alcohol on their premises, despite having underage students in them. Why should they get special treatment? Students with learning or mental disabilities don't receive special treatment for registration, and students in the dorms are suspended from school if they're caught with alcohol.

Somewhat - not everyone here is like that, but there are definitely people that stand out as these stereotypes.

A few professors know my name, but most don't care to learn their students' names unless the student frequently visits them during office hours. My favourite class has been Cyber Self Defense- ridiculously easy course, but the professor made it worthwhile with his interesting and stimulating lectures. Least favourite would have to be Discrete Mathematics. The professor did not know how to properly convey the material, all he did was give example after example and I had to figure out how to solve eahc problem on my own. Too much time was spent trying to teach myself the course. Most students study a few hours per week. Class participation depends on the course and how stimulating the professor is- most people are practically braindead in the introductory philosophy courses, but there is more participation in the writing seminars. Networking Security and System Administration has a few common sense courses that make the major seem boring, but the higher levels appear to be much more enjoyable. I don't spend much time with professors outside of class, unless going over an error in a test or encountering a problem with the course material. Some of the academic requirements are ridiculous. The Programming for IT courses don't really teach you a good understanding of programming. I honestly think that NSSA and Game Design majors would benefit much more from taking the Computer Science courses to get a better grasp of programming. RIT is very focused toward getting its students a job.

I don't know about the most popular clubs/groups on campus, I prefer spending my time with friends at the dorms. My hallway almost always leaves our doors open. Athletic events aren't very popular here, unless someone knows one of the team members. Guest speakers are ignored- we don't get anyone interesting or exciting, in my opinion. I don't care for or partake in the 'dating scene'. I did not meet my closest friends at RIT. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm probably hanging around the hallway with other floormates, joking around and having fun. People don't party on my floor, as we're the alcohol/substance-free floor. I don't like fraternities or sororities, and I have noticed that most students don't like them either. They're not important here, to me at least. I studied for finals last weekend. I can play videogames with fellow floormates, go to a movie, watch dildo infomercials with a large group of floormates and laugh at the ridiculous products put on sale. Off campus, you can go to Walmart, Barnes & Noble, to the movies, or go out to eat. I don't get off campus much, and I prefer it that way.

The kids that stay in their rooms all the time playing World of Warcraft, the people that take Dungeons and Dragons way too seriously, the obnoxious, immature, and overzealous anime fans, the people that believe they're really a vampire or a red mage, students that don't ever bathe, the cape girls/boys, the Gandalf wannabes, etc. The list goes on.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.