Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Royce

The best thing about RIT is the quarter system. Right when you start to get sick of classes you are in finals week. This system is very business-like. Warmer weather would be nice, but really can't be changed. RIT is just right in size. With so many different areas of training it is large enough while classes remain small and many students take classes in different colleges within RIT. The coffee shop, Java Willies, is a great place for students to hang out and work on projects. Most students can be found here and many hang out there constantly. RIT administrators are very helpful. Some are geeks like many of the students, but by and large the administrators are passionate figures. President Destler, RIT's 9th and newest president, is pushing for RIT's new image as a University for Innovation. Recently, RIT's hockey team was involved in a huge in game fight sparking a lot of student spirit for their D1 team. The most memorable memory I have is taking classes in Second Life, the online virtual reality world. Students often complain of the cold weather.

RIT has a diverse student body. All races, LGBT, all religions, and level of wealth can be found here. All orientations are recognized by RITs administration. This allows for very unique learning experiences. Students range from quiet to loud, outgoing to introverted. There is a place for all students at RIT. Likewise, students wear clothing from professional to casual to punk rocker. All of these students can be found interacting, especially at the coffee shops. RIT students come from around the world. Many students come from India, and Asia, and Europe as well as from Canada, all of the US and a large portion from New York State. Some students are active in politics though RIT is not known as a rallying type of school. According to Facebook, most RIT students are conservative. I have to disagree though because many outspoken students profess Democratic views.

RIT is known for its steep learning curve. With the quarter system students learn a great deal of information in a short period of time. RIT is constantly under construction, which is good and bad. Recent buildings include the Golisano Institute for Sustainability and a student commons know as Park Point. The construction is a bit annoying but the new areas of study hosted by these buildings are exciting. RIT's diversity really sets it apart as a unique university. Many projects with students from all around the world turn out successful. One such project is Black Cane Label, which is a company that sells clothing to the blind while informing the consumer of the articles specifications and what it might match with. This company was started by a local Rochester student and a Middle Eastern student. RIT is fast paced and very wired. However, the connectivity of the campus is due largely in part to the spirit of RIT students. They desire to reach out to the world and effect it in a positive way.

RIT is not a tech school. Currently going through an image renovation, RIT is becoming know as a University for Innovation. Though Technology classes make up the majority of the classes, many other classes teach non-tech material. The College of Business and Liberal Arts have the majority of non tech classes. Students who attend RIT don't always use computers either. Some in fact hate the things and do terrible in classes that require them. Most of these students however do not attend tech classes. RIT is know as the Brick City, which is an accurate stereotype. Some opinions state that the university is unattractive, but that is up for debate. Most student stereotypes are partially accurate, depending on what area of RIT you are in. While there are few females in the technical colleges, many students in the College of Liberal Arts, College of Business and the College of Imaging Arts and Sciences are in fact females. There are many deaf students at RIT and American Sign Language is like a second language here. However, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) make up a small percentage of students at RIT. Students with pale skin, severe acne and tendencies to avoid social situations do exist, but most students are outgoing, outspoken while still attending technical classes. The term "nerd" and "geek" is not an insult at RIT and in some cases it is a compliment.

Professors at RIT will go by their first name and many strive to have good relationships with their students. My favorite class was taught in Second Life about Online Advertising. Students at RIT study hard, though some students coasts through. Class participation ranges from tech classes to liberal art classes. RIT students have conversations that many other students can't understand. It is scary sometimes what students discuss. Students at RIT are competitive and team oriented. It is a great place to work as a team. In Advertising & Public Relations students frequently visit their professors and not for class help. The professors in the Department of Communication are very open and willing to chat with students about anything. RIT is a leading career oriented university. Students are required to do co-ops or internships before gradations often allowing students to make real world connections.

At RIT the College Activities Board (CAB) is a very popular organization. They are know for putting on shows featuring Bob Dylan and Jimmy Eat World. The Public Relations Student Society of America is very new at RIT and is working on starting a student run firm this spring. RIT hockey is huge and more alive than ever. Recently, Apple's Steve Wozniak came to speak and enjoyed a large turn out. Apple computers are common on RIT campus. The dating scene is alive and well, even with geeks and nerds. Students also date outside of their ethnicity which is nice. If students are awake at 2 am on Tuesday night, there are likely writing papers due on Wednesday. The highly anticipated Innovation and Creativity Festival this spring is going to be huge and really put RIT on the map as a University for Innovation. Last weekend my team mates met to finish out final project for this quarter. After presenting the project, our team met our professors at the local pub to celebrate. Many activities can be found at night that don't involve drinking. There are late night sports and games, and many students socialize at the campus coffee shop. RIT is currently a dry campus, too.

RIT is known as a tech school by many, even with its broad range of courses and colleges. Some alums will return to talk about past employment when they visit RIT and tell students to expect the question "You went to RIT? You must know a lot about computer." The idea of a "brick city" characterizes people's impressions when visiting RIT, and is the nickname RIT has gained. I am told it is the second largest confluence of bricks in the world. RIT students are often called "geeks" or "nerds" and typically have no negative affect on the students. "There are a lot of deaf people at RIT" is also common. "There are NO girls here!" is another stereotype of the student body. This school is know for technical knowhow. Many stereotypes include students who spend hours on computers and science projects and have extremely pale completions.

Courtney

The best thing about RIT is its facilities, between the gym and from personal experience as a former photography major - RIT has it all! One thing I would change about RIT is the parking. I feel that there should be less reserved parking, and that parking passes should not cost as much as it does. I feel that the school is neither too big nor too small, it's just right like "baby bear." I feel that there are plenty of people and types of personalities where you can never get bored and you have the ability to make a new friend every day. When I tell people that I go to RIT their immediate reaction is either, "Good school," or "You must be pretty smart," which helps boost the confidence. I spend most of my time on campus pretty evenly between the library, the liberal arts building, the Student Alumni Union, and the RITZone (an eatery under the SAU). We are in the process of building a college town. I'm torn on the issue of RIT's administration - the issue of money is always brought up with any and every RIT student. I can't remember the biggest and most recent controversy, but last year we had a student that ended up in the news because he had a weapon in his room at the RIT Inn, and it was directly after the Virginia Tech shooting. School pride is evident on campus when there are sporting events or competitions, such as the Ranger Challenges that the Army ROTC cadets participate in every year. I don't feel that there is anything especially unusual about RIT, but I believe its diversity is something that other schools don't have when I compare colleges with my friends and family members. My number one, favorite experience I will ALWAYS remember is meeting my fiance. He and I were both considering other colleges, and RIT won us both over for other reasons, but we were both the cherries on top of our decisions! The most frequent complaints are tuition prices, the lack of non-reserved parking spaces, and the two-week break at Thanksgiving, instead of adding that second week onto Christmas break.

I came from a rather sheltered section of Long Island, New York. Coming to RIT opened my eyes to a lot of different cultures considering we have students from all over the world! I'm not a religious person, but there are groups you can be a part of, and there's a chapel that accepts all religious sectors that you can attend. I find that the school is very accepting of all students no matter their gender, sex, race, ethnic or cultural backgrounds, or religion. There are kids that can be grouped between the popular masses depending on their majors: the engineers, the business students, the science and mathematics students, and the arts and photographic arts students. I was in the Naval ROTC program, even though it's held over at the University of Rochester, and I was a Fine Art Photography major at the same time during my freshman year. I felt that I couldn't fit in with either of the two groups of people because I was being judged because of my "artsy" major for someone who wanted to be in the military, and I was typically stereotyped as being a "hardcore conservative" among the photo students, and neither of the allegations were true. You can feel out of place, but then again that happens everywhere. You do see students befriending people who are of the same cultural background, but I find that is also a comfort zone for students who aren't from the United States, and it might help them transition to being in a new environment alongside someone who is experiencing the exact same thing. I know from personal experience that different types of students interact. I just helped a friend dye her hair blue a few weeks ago, yet I am one of the most conservatively dressed people I know. I live in a house with two people who are in the military but I also hang out with self-proclaimed socialists and hippies. Although I am not of religious beliefs, my best friend attends church every Sunday and we don't judge one another. RIT has really been a place where I can fit in, with everyone, by being myself. It has been that simple. The four tables of students in the dining hall I see include a table full of girls and boys from the hockey teams. They are all wearing some sort of RIT hockey pride, where it's a sweatshirt, or pair of pants with the tiger paws down the side. They are eating rather healthy food and sharing lots of laughs. I also see a table full of boys with somewhere unkempt hair and rather interesting facial hair. There are beards, and moustaches I have never seen the likes of, although they are not my personal typical crowd I find myself in, they are very enthusiastic about the latest advance in a new nintendo game that was just released. I see another table full of deaf students. They sign at what feels like 100 mph to me, but I can't turn away because they have the most natural and best reactions to one anothers' stories that I have ever seen. The last table I see is full of photography students. They are sharing their latest projects with one another and nodding at each others' criticisms, accepting the friendly banter along with the constructive advice. Most RIT students I meet are from New York. That happens with most states, the biggest population is usually born or living in that current state. I have seen all different financial backgrounds. I have seen students not pay a dime whether they are on scholarship for an ROTC reason, or because they have a great passion and not enough money to attend the school. A friend of mine worked three jobs as best as he could, with a full course load of 18 credits, while his mother worked two jobs back home across the country, so that he could graduate with the finest degree from the school he loved. There are political groups on campus. Whether you support them or not is your choice, but I feel that everyone should remain respectful. There is a socialist group, but there are also the Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marine cadets on campus that feel offended by their banners and messages at times. Being called "killers" is not something that is taken lightly. There can be harsh words spoken and I'm sure from both sides. I do not mean in any way to offend any socialist whatsoever. I know from experience the beliefs that can be judged from either side, but at least RIT accepts and stands by the freedom of speech. I find that the school is hard to judge politically. It is easy to pick out those who share their opinions openly and freely, but I have learned to stop judging books by their covers. Although I participated in ROTC, I was and still am an independent. And being a photography major doesn't make you a democrat. You have to march to the beat of your own drum, whether you're on the left, right, or middle, that is your decision. You don't have to share your beliefs with everyone you meet. I have found my place in the middle, and that's where I choose to stay. Students share what they plan to earn, or hope to earn, one day. I like to listen to students with plans, who are taking their futures seriously and want to discuss the possibilities of success (financially) that they can and will achieve someday.

Just a bit of advice for students who are unsure of the college experience: it really is what you choose to make of it. Even if you don't choose to go to RIT, I firmly believe that everyone should try to aspire to graduate from a university. Join clubs and organizations, pick a major with something you're in love with, and make the most of what you're given and in the time you're given to complete your degree. It's life-changing, and I see more and more adults in their 40's and 50's coming back for their degrees and their masters because they didn't finish or want to earn that higher degree, to be that much more accomplished. College shouldn't be something that you constantly complain about - it should be a cherished four (on average) years that you will never experience anywhere else. Life holds plenty of opportunities for you to fulfill. To make the journey and never try, is not living a life at all.

Not 100% - RIT is a place where everyone can be themselves, whether someone stereotypes them as a nerd, freak, or geek, someone else may think of them as artistic, inventive, or genius. Once you get past the fact that RIT does not look like other traditional colleges, you appreciate the amount of work it took to lay the brick on the amount of campus that exists.

Certain professors know my name, but if the class has over 150 students I don't personally expect the teacher to know everyone by name, although some may memorize quite a few. I've had quite a few classes that I thoroughly enjoyed, surprisingly one of them being Public Speaking. My favorite class this quarter was the Philosophy of Poker, Monty Python, and Superheroes. My first favorite class that I had my freshman year was History and Aesthetics of Photography. My least favorite class was Materials and Processes of Photography because it was extremely difficult and I felt completely out of my element. Students study more or less depending on the subjects, and their own personal difficulty levels. I will study for days for a class that is much harder than a class that doesn't require memorizing eight chapters of Human Biology. Again, depending on the class and the teacher, participation is taken very seriously, or isn't considered at all. Lectures are a great example. All of my teachers have encouraged questions or input from students, but there are days when students just listen and have nothing to add or ask. Other classes that consist of 20-30 students, are expected to have participation count as part of your overall grade for the course. I find myself having rather intellectual conversations outside of class ranging anywhere between history, to science, to the arts, etc., etc. Students can be competitive, but I don't find it often except in the business department. If there are group assignments or projects, your group wants to have the best product and/or presentation. My most unique class is one of my favorites, the Philosophy of Monty Python, Poker, and Superheroes. My teacher was a 36 year old woman, who loved typical "male" things [according to society], yet she connected with every student on one level, at least! She opened my eyes to other topics I never would've given thought to, and has helped me become a better person. I belong to the Communications department and I am enrolled in the Advertising and Public Relations major. I have been with this department for a full year now, I began RIT as a Fine Art Photography major but realized it was my favorite hobby and not what I was going to turn into an occupation. The APR (Adver./PR) major is more than I expected. I will finish with a professional core in Marketing, which helps my background even further. The professors I have are phenomenal and I find it to be a very active department. I do spend time with one professor outside of class. We grab lunch now and again and talk about life and school. It's as if she's a guidance counselor or a close aunt. It's amazing that RIT has such wonderful scholars. I feel that RIT sets high expectations for its students purposely. They expect great results from great students. College wouldn't be college without the challenges and hardships that we have to face. The standards RIT sets are everything I hope for each and every college student; a path leading them to the "real world." The education at RIT is learning for the sake of getting a job in your own field of passion. The resources we have at RIT are not geared at leaving with a degree for the sake of having the degree. The reason RIT exists is so that students can accomplish whatever they set their minds to, and can end up enjoying for the rest of their lives or until retirement if they so desire. The wide range of majors and minors that are available at RIT was something that made it stand out in my eyes when I applied to universities.

I find that the cultural groups are very popular. I know the Asian Culture group likes to put on fashion shows. I also see signs for the Women's Center putting on shows of the "Vagina Monologues." The most popular teams I'd say are the hockey teams. What is there not to love about an RIT hockey game? The excitement is such a rush, it's as if they're professional teams! There are numerous amounts of clubs that you can belong to. You can be in a club based on what religion you are, based on what country you're from, based on loving video games, RIT has it all. I recently was in the production of "On the 20th Century," the musical that was held the last weekend of January. That was the first musical RIT has put on in seveal years. I found it to be very enjoyable, considering I miss my theater days from high school. I'm also involved in RIT Singers. You can take it for a credit each quarter if you are an RIT student, and you can also join the choir if you're a member of the community. We have two elderly women in the choir, as well as tons of graduates. It's a nice group where we can congregate and sing our hearts out all together! When I lived in the dorms I always tried to keep my door open for people to walk in freely and to make friends and not seem like a hermit. When I wanted my quiet or study time, I shut the door and wrote a message on my white board that said I was either busy or studying and people respected that. Athletic events are very popular at RIT, especially hockey like I mentioned before. I came from a school that did not have a hockey team, and I have so much pride in RIT's hockey teams because they're fantastic and we have the bragging rights of moving up to Division I and kicking butt! (There's the school pride coming out!) There are many guest speakers that come. They usually appear in October for Parents' Weekend which is also known as BrickCity Homecoming. My freshman year we had Rudy Giuliani and Jon Stewart come the same weekend. Needless to say, I was in awe and beyond utter happiness. We also have performers come very frequently - I recently saw Rihanna and was blown away by her performance. The dating scene is what you make of it. Boys complain that they go to a school with too many guys, and girls complain that there are only video gamers that attend RIT. I believe that those students should remain quiet because if they researched their school properly, they could see the boy to girl ratio to begin with, and girls should know with a technology school, you're going to find plenty of student who like video games, I know I sure as heck like them! I met my closest friends through groups I was involved in: ROTC, RIT Singers, and also through my major. I also happen to have a very bubbly personality at times and when I get hyper I talk a lot, whether people want to listen or not, I make friends when I take the extra time to learn about them. If I'm awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I'm either studying really hard for a test, or I'm watching a movie and enjoying the fact that my morning class got canceled! Each year there are traditional events like Snow Balls and dances and galas put on by certain departments. People party a decent amount, meaning every weekend. I prefer to attend parties where I know the residents personally, for obvious reasons. I won't go to parties that I know are going to be busted by Campus Safety because that could jeopardize certain things in life I've worked hard to attain. Fraternities and sororities exist on campus, and you see the girls and boys wearing their jerseys or t-shirts and their huge painted signs plastered on sides of buildings, and their sidewalk chalk drawings, but there is no pressure to belong to one. I have seen all sorts of different members and organizations, and many of them work hard on breaking down the assumed behavior of frat boys and sorority sisters. Last weekend I attended a concert for RIT Singers, while I finished up projects and papers for finals week that is coming up, as well as going to work at a clothing store in the local mall. You can do plenty of things on Saturday nights besides drink, anyone who says otherwise is lying. RIT holds plenty of events, as well as making sure that students can attend things off-campus as well. Downtown holds plenty of different locations to explore like the George Eastman House, or different local museums or theatres like the Geva Theater or the BlueCross Arena. The dollar movie theater is one of my favorite things here locally because you can't beat the prices and it's less than five minutes from campus. I live off campus now and live between downtown and RIT so I have access to campus or a cool exhibit somewhere closer to my house in the opposite direction. I like to go to really unique cafes, restaurants, and mom-and-pop stores you can't find anywhere else.

That it's full of art freaks, photo geeks, and gaming nerds who don't leave their dorm rooms. Other people also say it's an institution made of brick instead of concrete.

Alecia

The best thing about RIT is all the co-op and internship possibilities available on campus and it's really resume building. I would change the food choices available for students to eat, especially since first years are forced to stay in the dorms and eat at the dining facilities on campus with the forced meal plan that students that live in the dorm have to eat at. RIT I believe is just right, it's definitely not too small but it is big enough where it could take 20 minutes to get to class from the dorms (and that's only to the farthest building on campus). When I tell people that I go to RIT they assume that I'm very intelligent and tell me that I'm going to a good school. I spend most of my time on campus in the dorms but not necessarily in my room. I'm either in the lounge with friends, in my friends room, at the computer lab at a neighboring dorm, or Ritche's that in the tunnels (links all the dorms and two dining facilities together), and things like that. Our "college town" isn't really a college town because Rochester is a really big city and RIT is located in the suburbs so there's RIT, then a few shopping centers, restaurants, a movie theater, mall, and things like that 5 minutes from campus. But they are building this new "college town" right by the RIT campus where there's going to be a coffee shop, and other things for students to do near the new park point apartments. To be real honest I don't really deal with RIT's administration or really sure of what they do except for their stupid parking rules and parking tickets I get from campus safety. Recent controversy on campus would have to be the dorm fire on the 2nd floor of my dorm. I was on the 4th floor, I heard the fire alarm 1am and didn't think anything of it until I saw and smelt the smoke in the stairwells. Turned out to be an electrical fire, the bed caught on fire because of a speaker or a lamb. The biggest I think next to the recent fire would HUGE hockey brawl the weekend before last (which I can't believed that I missed) everyone on both teams just about were fighting including the goalies (videos on youtube and facebook). There isn't any school pride except for the hockey games, maybe if students knew more about the games on campus and actually leave their rooms or the teams were actually good (in some cases) more people would come. But at the same time you do see a lot of students on campus wearing RIT apparel...so maybe not at the athletic events but we wear the clothing. The only unusual thing about RIT is the fact that it's a "brick city", all the buildings are brick except some of the newest ones I believe. The campus is maybe 30 years old so but I think the brick is cool, and be honest I'm more focused on getting to class on time from the dorms rather than seeing if the bricks are nice. You do get used to the bricks after a while. One experience I'll remember I guess is the fact that this campus is about 70% male and 30% female and I really like not being around that many girls everyday when I'm walking to class (me being a girl and all). The some of the most frequent complaints from students is that there's nothing to do on campus, RIT is boring, there aren't a lot of girls on campus, there's a lack of school spirit, I hate RIT, I hate FYE, and things like that. I do believe however that your experience at RIT is what you make it.

There are some organizations on campus sadly who are available for minorities that they believe aren't able to succeed at RIT like the northern star center for African American, Latin American, and Native American students or so it seems. But other than that I think RIT is tolerant of differences. Unintelligent students would be the only ones who would feel out of place. Majority of the students wear regular clothes, except for the "different" students who wear cloaks at night. Yes different types interact. To be real honest, the four table example isn't really relavent because it's just like high school in that aspect that you sit with your friends, by yourself, or get your food to go, no "jocks" or "nerds" in the social hierarchy. Most students are from Rochester.

yes to an extent, half of my floor stays in their room except to go to class and the other half hangs out in the halls and have their doors open all the time.

Some professors, mainly the ones in the communication department, and ones with small classes do indeed know my name. I don't necessarily have a favorite or least favorite class at the moment, because I didn't get my grades back yet. But seriously I don't have a favorite class, but my least favorite class so far would have to be PR just because I can't stay awake in that class to save my life, and ironically I need that class for my major. Class participation is not only common but it is encouraged. RIT do have intellectual conversations outside of class, it's a given because of what's going on right now in the world. Students are competitive, but it depends on who's around or who cares to the extent of the competition. In my major it is very competitive because RIT can't really find many employers to come to RIT for the communications profession so anyone that does it's the survival of the fittest, that and the power of networking to your advantage. The most unique class I've taken so far would have to be Arts of Expression: Understanding Contemporary Art, just threw me in a loop and I weirdly enjoyed it. The department of communications is very warm and welcoming, consistently throwing mixers and get togethers so that the faulty and students get to know each other on a more personal, friendly basis. I do spend time with professors outside of class, especially department of communication (doc) professors. RIT's academic requirements are understandable and attainable. RIT is definitely geared towards getting a job, especially since each school and major makes co-ops required for graduation so that we have that work force experience and so that we are sure on what we are getting ourselves into.

Students that don't ever leave their room, nerds, very boring

Carlos

RIT is an awesome environment. It is gaining prestige around the world as an innovation institution.Even though there isn't much school pride, the crowd usually packs the hockey games. I would say that RIT is a very unique institution where you can see a fusion of sciences and arts like nowhere else. The only thing I would like to have is a Football Team and warmer weather.

RIT is very very very diverse. A lot of respect for all the cultures and different background's is expected by everyone. If you dont like to study. RIT is no the place for you. If you cant stand different personalities , RIT is not for you...Get used to different races and over all hearing impaired people ( they a very important part of RIT culture)

RIT RULES AND EVERYONE SHOULD COME HERE..... TRUST ME YOU WILL GET REWARDED AFTERWARDS....MONEY MONEY MONEY.....

For the most part, it is true that guys are into video games a lot, but here is also a big population of more "social" gentleman out there. About the Female ratio at RIT. Even though as a whole RIT lacks female presence in its larger colleges like Science or Engineering. In the College of Business or in the College of Imaging Arts ans Sciences the reality if other. very hot and social women are available.

Education is very Personalized. Class participation is encouraged and rewarded, and the intellectual conversation outside the classroom are everywhere you go. RIT is definitely a place for those who are interested in their education. I would say that professors are also very approachable.

I WOULD SAY THAT THE MOST POPULAR FRATERNITY IS PHI KAPPA PSI. THE HOCKEY TEAM IS DEFINITELY THE MOST POPULAR ATHLETIC TEAM. AN OPEN DOOR POLICY IS ENCOURAGE IN THE DORMS. AT 2 AM YOU ARE PROBABLY AT THE LIBRARY FINISHING A PAPER. MUDTUG IS A CHARITABLE EVENT PUT UP BY PHI KAPPA PSI AND ZETA TAU ALPHA AND IN GETS ALL THE CAMPUS TOGETHER.PEOPLE START PARTYING ON THURSDAY AT RIT. IF YOU ARE VERY STEREOTYPICAL YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY VIDEO GAME IF YOU DON'T LIKE DRINKING.

Many People think that RIT has no girls, and that the guys at RIT are all about video games and no fun ( NERDS)

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.