Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

That photo tech class that I did not want to take. It turned out I learned more than anymore could of every thought.

WORK YOUR BUTT OFF!!! In my last year or photo class, I got lazy because I got into eight colleges so I did not shoot as much and I really with that I pushed myself more.

I am a photo major, I was told that where would be no math; week one I got a warm welcome to photo tech.

Julia

In terms of dating: the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

In terms of dating: the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Required co-ops are really, really helpful, and the hockey games are great.

Don’t panic. Douglas Adams wrote it, forever inscribing it onto the cover of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. If I had the chance to give my younger self advice about the foreboding years of college ahead of me, I would probably tell myself to get that tattooed somewhere, preferably visible, so that I could remember. Don’t panic. Remember this when you meet your first roommate, at the wrong school, in the wrong major. Remember this when you feel homesick for the first time, and the second, and the third. Remember this when the hours of hard work you put into a project still don’t meet your expectations. Remember this when you’re struggling to make friends, when you feel alone. Don’t panic. I remembered this on my first day of orientation, at different school, at a different time, in a different major. I remembered this when I met my first friends. I remembered this when I thought about my first two years of college, how hard I struggled, how lost I felt. I remembered this when I realized those years had purpose, because I hadn’t yet known who I was. Don’t panic.

Linh

RIT is a career focused campus that puts importance on internships and work experience before graduation, in order to get students ready for their career of choice.

The best advice that I could give myself is not to be afriad of going to the school that you truly want to go to. Keep in mind that you wlll be at that school for 4 years so do your research, go on the campus tour, talk to students at that school so you really know more about it. If you attend and you do not like the school, transfer as soon as you can to another school so that you can get the experience that you want. Do not settle with a school unless it is what you want. I would also tell myself that college is a learning experience so do not be afraid of the transition! While the transition may not be smooth, after the first month thing will be just fine so you just gotta get over that initial fear!

Commuters will not have too much of a social life since clubs are later in the day like during dinner time, which most commuters go home by then. The education here is also really expensive making it unaffordable for some students.

Iman

It has a very open environment. As soon as I visited the school and started attending classes, I felt as though I was welcomed from the very start by both teachers and students alike.

Sometimes the services that are provided are lacking. They aren't very accomodating when there are summer or intersession classes occuring, which makes it a problem for students.

I would tell myself to try and space out classes evenly throughout the four years I will be at RIT. I made the mistake of overloading my schedule this semester, and having a empty schedule my first year. I now utilize an agenda, and also a semester schedule that help in recording exam dates and projects. It's important to develop time management, as it helps to figure out day by day what needs to be done. This avoids procrastination, stress, and anxiety. It's important to give yourself a breather once and a while, my high school schedule was packed with clubs, sports, studies, and extra curricular activities. This is good because it kept me busy but I didn't have much of a social life outside of these activities. Most importanly, enjoy the life that was given to you, something that I took for granted. I have met very wonderful people that struggle much more than I do, they inspire me to push myself to the limit so that my friends and family can be proud of me and what I can accomplish.

BreAnn

I brag most to my friends about RIT for the constant activities and events always occuring at the Rochester Institute of Technology. I'm never bored or just sitting around with nothing to do. Along with my academic work, I have a healthy balance of social time with the variety of amazing people here on campus. I can easily try new things wether it be learning to sign in ASL, try sushi for the first time, or learn how to longboard, and I can easily do all of those things in just one day, at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to take more honors classes and broaden my horizon with the classes that might make me think differently. I would also let myself know that I can choose so many colleges to apply to, but when I do choose the right school I will now it in my gut. To be able to tell myself as a senior to not stress about the little things because I can honestly say, I did. I would like to let myself know that I will have so many opportunites in the future that will make me think so differently, so I should stop shutting the new things out and accept them with an open mind. I would tell myself that I should learn more languages in my senior year at least to make myself more diverse. Another thing I would say, would be is to just be as happy as I can that it is senior year and take full advantage of all of the amazing activities at my high school, and to worry about college a little less than I did, and be more excited for my future as a psychologist one day.

The worst thing to me about the Rochester Institute of Technology is the amount of walking everywhere. But, I came from an area that was very distant from stores and restaurants, so it was hard for me to adjust to the difference. Here, at RIT, you have to walk quite a ways to certain areas on campus, but when you do find new places it is so exciting. I learned my very first month at RIT that there is a lot of distance from the dorms to the academic side of campus, but I have gotten used to it now.

Calvin

I wish I could, but I haven't met any of my classmates, yet.

I wish I could, but I haven't met any of my classmates, yet.

Dear Calvin of Year 2012, I am you from the future. What I'm about to tell you is most likely advice and instructions you've been subjected to for the last few months of your high school senior career and you're probably really fed up by now with hearing it over and over again, but heed my words, anyway. I'm you, so I know you can take the tie to hear it one more time. Please don't procrastinate on the things that need to be done before transferring to a new college. Fill out those health forms as soon as possible. Get those shots as soon as possible. Apply for grants and loans as soon as possible. I know that you have a problem with waiting until the last second to get things done, but this just has to stop NOW. Not only will you be a better person, but you will save yourself so much heart-ache and stress. Procrastination doesn't only affect you, but it can affect the people around you as well. I know you've been making some strides to breaking this bad habit, but now it's time to change.

This will be my first semester at RIT, so I haven't actually been on campus for class-related reasons. I've have been on campus, however, for other purposes. Despite of that, there is one thing that's very frustrating: the amount of websites and pages that you're required to use. Compared to my community college that I attended for the past two years and their website, the websites and pages of RIT that students are expected to use are less streamlined and more confusing.

Scarlet

Most of my classmates tend to keep to themselves or circle of friends.

Most of my classmates tend to keep to themselves or circle of friends.

Look for more scholarships to apply to. You are very busy senior year since you took hard instead of easy ones. The debt will start to be a burden especially since you are thinking of going to medical school. Also, don't let other people affect you. There will always be someone smart, but it's not about beating other people, it's about surpassing yourself. Be the best that you can be.

The best thing about my school is that you don't have to struggle in silence. You can get the help that you need atleast academically.

Zachary

This is a school with very strong job placement and a great co-op program, as well as a great place for people of many different backgrounds to be able to work together.

Probably how liberal it feels at times. As a Bible-believing Christian, there are some approaches or focuses I don't agree with.

Actually, I'm not really sure if I could give any distinct advice. I was fairly well prepared for college, and the transition went smoothly. I also have done well in college, both personally and academically. I suppose the one piece of advice I would want to instill would be to keep proper focus on God first, and make sure to be bold in standing for Him, and for my wife.

Ian

I would have told my self to start applying for scholarships and grants much earlier. I would do that because college expensis are costly. Equipment that is need to be able to do the best job possible at Rochester Institute of Technology is expensive and if I had applied for these scholarships when I was still in high school I would not have needed to worry about having to pay for the equipment out of my own pocket. It would have been just one less financial burden that would have been taken care of and I actually kind of regret not doing this earlier just because of the financial burden that has been added to this transition into college.

The kind of person that should attend Rochester Institute of Technology should be a person who wants to know how to do their future job with the latest technology. Rochester Institute of Technology is a place where the technology is always changing and people learn exactly what they need to so that they will be succesful in the future at their job. This school also has co-op and internship opportunites so the students can go and apply what they have learned in a actuall work setting so students are set up well for the future .

So far I have not encountered anything too frustrating. How ever if I had to choose the most frustrating thing about the Rochester Institute of Technology is how late I recieved my class schedule. My freinds attending other universities recieved their class schedule weeks ahead of me and I did not know when I was supposed to recieve my schedule so I was just waiting for the university to send me my class schedule. That was really the most frustrating thing that I have seen so far at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Jeannette

A mix of people who have good heads on their shoulders that will be successful, some that are making some bad choices that can come back from them, and a few that won't be able to succeed with their current mindsets.

The best thing about this school is that there is such a diverse group of people. RIT is the only school I know where there are art students working side by side with engineers, and where classified geniuses form study groups with people that have learning disabilities. Some of the students here are so kind and helpful to each other, and I didn't expect it to be the case.

Dear me: First things first, dump your high school boyfriend. It happens anyways, but just get it over with sooner rather than letting drag through senior year. For college, don't stress about everything. You are not chained to the major you enter college with. It's okay to have second thoughts, and getting a degree isn't about what other people want. Make choices for yourself, and know that the people who truly care about you will be there to support you. Next, while money is important and necessary, don't work yourself to the bone and let your academics suffer. A way to alleviate some financial stress: apply for all the scholarships you can. Finally, just have fun. Go into it with an open mind, try to make as many great friends as you can, don't limit yourself to one social group. Oh, and during orientation, watch where you're walking to avoid a nasty incident with your ankle and a curb. Sincerely, Me

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.