Rochester, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Rochester Institute of Technology

Had I the power to travel back in time, my college self would tell my high school self to captain her ship towards new horizons. During my senior year, I spent most of my time worrying about being accepted to and attending college, when that time and energy would have been better spent preparing myself. I cried over leaving my family, when I could have been researching how to forge new relationships with my classmates. I could have curbed my anxiety about classes by reading about my courses and professors. Most importantly, I would warn my past self, telling her that though college offers a fresh start, she needs to remember to appreciate the friends she will leave behind.

Extremely serious and conservative people should NOT attend RIT, because the community as a whole is very laid-back, chummy, and has open arms! Some pretty crazy antics go down here, and no one takes themselves too seriously. We are also a bunch of nerds and geeks, so if you can't respect MMORPGs or people who sometimes prefer studying over partying, you would be better off somewhere else.

Trevor

I enjoy attending RIT. The weather here may seem a little bi-polar, but it is no excuse to miss out on the wonderful and supportive community here. We have a large amount of Deaf students who attend NTID, one of the biggest Deaf colleges in the US. Our tutoring and specialization services are superb, allowing students easy access to educational tools and advice. The best of all, there is FREE printing services in multiple locations, FREE washing and drying services, and a library that is open 24/7 from Monday to Thursday! Night-owls, REJOICE!

Greg

An environment that nurtures learning and creativity in a way that guarantees success in and out of the classroom.

Some of the brightest and good natured young people I have ever met.

Knowing what I know now about college life and the transition into it; I would advise my younger self to break out of your shell, stop hiding, you have more to offer this world than you could imagine.

Jonathan

RIT has a particularly neat culture, primarily being based around "nerd culture", as indicated by RIT having its very own anime convention. The peope are also particularly different when compared to other schools. Finally, it is very career oriented, particularly in engineering and the sciences.

I would tell myself a number of things! First, don't be afraid to put yourself into awkward social situations. People in college will be among the most interesting that you will ever meet. But don't be too eager to cling to everyone you meet. That’s an easy way to end up with bad friends. Work on maintaining a regular sleep schedule. Yes, this will be frustrating and boring, but it will pay off in an improved GPA and in not feeling terrible all the time. Get a head start on classes with essays and projects that you know are coming. Make sure that you really do this, because it's way too easy just to let time pss, or to spend it on the internet’s many wonders. Finally, LEARN TO RELAX. Stress eats at you from the inside and does more harm than good. Do your best while staying calm. Give time to yourself even when you’re busy. Leisure time that reduces stress and makes you more effective is incredibly valuable. It’s all in the balance, and in a way, that is what college is about, learning to balance all the challenges and opportunities.

Driven, career-oriented people interested in the hard sciences and driven liberal arts students who recieve large scholarships and who are interested in doing hands-on research.

Caitlin

Considering that I'm very happy with my college experience, the worst thing about RIT for myself isn't necessarily related to the college itself. Although there are plenty of events on campus to keep you busy, it isn't really located in a "college town". If your looking for something else to do during the week, you become pretty limited, as RIT is actually located in West Henrietta (just outside of the city). Buses do go to the mall on the weekends, but it really would be nice to have a college town environment surrounding campus.

For RIT, it's difficult to choose just one thing. I orginally chose to attend for the plentiful amount of opportunities and high degree of career orientation. With career fairs, co-ops, and so many established connections with RIT's profound name and many well-known companies, I am confident I'll be prepared for the "real world". However, from just being at RIT for a semester, I've become so thankful for the diversity of the people and cultures I've been exposed to. From international students, to becoming acquainted with deaf culture, it really is an enriching experience.

“You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.” Benjamin Mee's words quickly became my go-to favorite quote for every senior information sheet I filled out in high school. Every. Single. One. What began as an "inspirational quote" search on Google resulted in a revelation, a realization that I'd spent more time worrying about what I did than doing. I didn't join the track team till senior year (worrying it would be too stressful), only to have an extremely positive experience. My coach thought I would've been one of the best on the team if I had only started earlier, and the regret hit me. I was talented, had fun, and didn't know it was possible, all because I never took the opportunity when I first saw it. It was always the most difficult decisions that made me a better person and widened my horizons for the future. I wish I could say only two words to myself as a senior: "Do it," because that's all I'd ever need to hear.

Gia

They are interesting people.

They are interesting people.

It is important to not slack off while in college. Remember, you need to treat this like a full time job because college is a lot of money. There is not enough time in the world to balance equally friends and schoolwork, but somehow you will find a way. Notice when you need help and actually get help. Finally, remember to get enough sleep and be the bigger person and flush down the gigantic turds left in the toilet to do everyone else a favor.

I wish I had known the actual atmosphere of the campus when I took a tour of the campus. I would have chosen to do early decision instead of regular decision.

That photo tech class that I did not want to take. It turned out I learned more than anymore could of every thought.

WORK YOUR BUTT OFF!!! In my last year or photo class, I got lazy because I got into eight colleges so I did not shoot as much and I really with that I pushed myself more.

I am a photo major, I was told that where would be no math; week one I got a warm welcome to photo tech.

Julia

In terms of dating: the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

In terms of dating: the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Required co-ops are really, really helpful, and the hockey games are great.

Don’t panic. Douglas Adams wrote it, forever inscribing it onto the cover of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. If I had the chance to give my younger self advice about the foreboding years of college ahead of me, I would probably tell myself to get that tattooed somewhere, preferably visible, so that I could remember. Don’t panic. Remember this when you meet your first roommate, at the wrong school, in the wrong major. Remember this when you feel homesick for the first time, and the second, and the third. Remember this when the hours of hard work you put into a project still don’t meet your expectations. Remember this when you’re struggling to make friends, when you feel alone. Don’t panic. I remembered this on my first day of orientation, at different school, at a different time, in a different major. I remembered this when I met my first friends. I remembered this when I thought about my first two years of college, how hard I struggled, how lost I felt. I remembered this when I realized those years had purpose, because I hadn’t yet known who I was. Don’t panic.

Linh

RIT is a career focused campus that puts importance on internships and work experience before graduation, in order to get students ready for their career of choice.

The best advice that I could give myself is not to be afriad of going to the school that you truly want to go to. Keep in mind that you wlll be at that school for 4 years so do your research, go on the campus tour, talk to students at that school so you really know more about it. If you attend and you do not like the school, transfer as soon as you can to another school so that you can get the experience that you want. Do not settle with a school unless it is what you want. I would also tell myself that college is a learning experience so do not be afraid of the transition! While the transition may not be smooth, after the first month thing will be just fine so you just gotta get over that initial fear!

Commuters will not have too much of a social life since clubs are later in the day like during dinner time, which most commuters go home by then. The education here is also really expensive making it unaffordable for some students.

Rochester Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.