Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

I'm black and there are VERY few blacks here (I know almost everyone that is), there are very few Latin people here, and so on (no offense to any other minority). I personally haven't encountered any problems, especially not from any Prof. Im usually only the minority in my classes but I never really notice. It's not something that's major (to me at least)even though I'm from the city where theres more diversity. The only thing I noticed is that the white people (from MY experience and more the females)aren't as open to being cool and chilling with you or whatever. I feel like I have to make more of an effort or something, but guys are more fun anyways so I dont care either ways. This is not true of the whole student body, just SOME of the people I've met. I think everyone is cool with everyone though regardeless of race or sexual orientation from MY EXPERIENCES. You might feel a little out of place if Your into dressing nice!!! lol I'm not use to seeing people wear the biggest sweats ever and slippers when it freezing outside. If you are sane like myself you'll feel out of place, let's just leave at that. Im from New YOR CIty.. Dress to impress YOURSelf if noone else... I would say a lot of people dont put much thought into what they wear. COme career fair though people change into human beings that dress nice lol. It's possible for different types of students to intereact as long as they are willing to. 4 tables of students in dining hall: table 1 same as table 2 similar to table 3 similar to table 4.. i don know. There's not much diversity, but there are different people .. i dont know this is a tricky question!!! i think i already answered this one most RIT students are form EVERY WHERE.. Inernational students, a lot of Upstate NY people, cali, Virginia, texas, different places. finacial? i dont know. i cant tell the rich from the poor eventhough i know a few of the rich (a couple of them bing international) Politically aware: yes active? kind of mayb lots of liberals/democrats dnt kno earn 1day:some do

People here think "race, religion, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other various things" are a reeaaallllyyy fucking big deal. It sickens me. I don't give a fuck if you're Black, Asian, gay, rich, poor, a drug addict, or claustrophobic. People are people. All these groups seemed to determined to make the point that everyone is equal, yet they choose to do so by point out all of our differences. People are just people. Why so much obsession over the differences? Getting back to the question - Yes, the various racial, religious, social, sexual, and lifestyle groups definitely have a very predominant role on this campus. I tend to stay away from them as they fill me with disgust, though I'm sure they wouldn't still be around if they weren't helping out a lot of people. I think it's really tough to feel out of place at RIT. We seem to have the entire array, from drunken frat boy assholes to nerdy computer geeks, and everything in between. What's weird is that you see a lot of friendships between types of people that you never expect - drunken frat boys and nerdy computer geeks, for example. Jeans and t-shirt. No coats even though it's 8 degrees outside and snowing. Yes different types of students interact quite frequently (see above). Two of them are tables that can seat eight people, but someone is sitting there eating alone listening to an iPod or reading a book. Another table is a group of four guys talking about computer stuff, and the last is two girls. Occasionally substitute one these four, at random, for a large, well-balanced mix of male and female students. We're all from the Northeast, Texas, or Alaska. Most of us are well off. This is a college campus, that really isn't much of a question... we're a shitload of liberals. Salary is pretty god damn important here, yeah.

Non existent. A normal liberal arts student would feel out of place. Hell I feel out of place every day going to RIT! I think a lot of that has to do with much more importance shifting to Science, math, and engineering but then again we cut that from our government's spending. I am living amongst an era when I have to get way more creative than ever before with how I make my money you understand? No longer can I just rely upon retirement benefits and a mortgage to get by. I need to look overseas at burgeoning opportunities with businesses and think to myself how can I find resources and or goods or even people to get me more wealth and security for myself? I unlock my mind and find jewels and expand my ideas into money making initiatives by specializing people to help my own self out. In short I get lucky because I move to networks that matter and are very rich in connectivity so I can maintain for a longer period of time. Not only that I take those connections and reap money from them by trading skills that they have. I know what their skills are by reading up on them quite a bit. I look for black swans and look for things right in front of my face so I can pave the way more so for myself and use companies to assist me. Maybe I'm crazy but it's how I'm starting to do it. I don't go into deep waters with shallow feet. Yet I know that my people could be struggling too so I try hard to look out for them as well. You feel me?I am Hip Hop like my peoples are. Whatever else you are asking me I am not going to play God and say that I know the answers. ~1

Non existent. A normal liberal arts student would feel out of place. Hell I feel out of place every day going to RIT! I think a lot of that has to do with much more importance shifting to Science, math, and engineering but then again we cut that from our government's spending. I am living amongst an era when I have to get way more creative than ever before with how I make my money you understand? No longer can I just rely upon retirement benefits and a mortgage to get by. I need to look overseas at burgeoning opportunities with businesses and think to myself how can I find resources and or goods or even people to get me more wealth and security for myself? I unlock my mind and find jewels and expand my ideas into money making initiatives by specializing people to help my own self out. In short I get lucky because I move to networks that matter and are very rich in connectivity so I can maintain for a longer period of time. Not only that I take those connections and reap money from them by trading skills that they have that I have none well enough about by reading up on them so much so. I don't go into deep waters with shallow feet. Yet I know that my people could be struggling too so I try hard to look out for them as well. You feel me? Whatever else you are asking me I am not going to play God and say that I know the answers. ~1

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? RIT is mostly white kids from New York State and Pennsilvania but there are a good number of people of other races. Lots of asian and a healthy a respectable amount of blacks. The deaf students are very diverse. What kind of student would feel out of place at RIT? Students who are self motivated and not too interested in being anywhere but on campus or hanging out with people in the dorms. What do most students wear to class? Wrangler Jeans Teva's or whatever else you can buy in the young mens section at Wall-Mart. Do different types of students interact? If you interpret interacting in the broadest terms, yes. There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. · Where are most RIT students from? They take there meals back to their rooms. What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? Middle class all the way. Are students politically aware / active? I bet most of them don't even know who the president is. Are they predominantly left, right or center? I would say because most of them are uninformed that they mostly just copy the political views of their parents so most of them or somewhat right of center. Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? They barely talk. They talk a lot about anime.

we have a very large and welcoming LGBT society here at school, we even have drag shows once a quarter. Also, the "stereotypes" range all over the spectrum, every kind of student you could imagine is here. As for races, I think I've met one person from every race that I could possibly think of, even people that have come straight from other countries. I don't think that any student could feel out of place at RIT unless they were too stuck up to make friends. Most students wear sweats, because let's face it we're a college and nobody wants to wake up and to go class at 8am. The four kinds of tables you could find in our dining hall are the all male engineer table, the all girl table, the art kid table, and the computer science table. Students come from all across the United States and other countries across the world, but a lot of the students are from New york. The most prevalent Financial background would be the more wealthy, because this is a private school and it is expensive. I personally am not from a family of money, but it doesn't really affect how I make friends.

There are people of all backgrounds here. There are also groups and organizations to get involved with for different racial backgrounds such as SHPE, NSBE and a few others. There is a great Center for Religious Life on campus with services offered for multiple religions and activities organized by people of the religious affiliations. This can be beneficial for people wishing to practice their religion at college or explore other religions. There is a GLBT Center on campus and a gay-straight alliance, including an organization primarily for deaf or hard of hearing students. I don't feel anyone could not find someplace where they fit. There is something for everyone here. Most people wear jeans and tshirts to class. There is always the joke that the girls show up on the first warm spring day since all of a sudden you see skirts again. Its definitely cold and sometimes rainy so a lot of people dress for the weather. RIT students are primarily from the northeast of the US and there is a large portion of international students, especially from India.

RIT has a very diverse campus. There are deaf and hard-of-hearing students from NTID. There are many international students. Most students come from New England or the mid-Atlantic states, but I know students from Washington state, Alaska, Texas, and Florida. I also know many students from out of the country who come here in the international program. One of the great things about RIT is that nobody could really feel out of place. We have groups and organizations that cater to every student, whether it be Dungeons & Dragons, martial arts, fencing, video games, academics, sports, Greek life--the list goes on. Most students don't care about what they wear to class, as long as it's warm. The weather here does not really allow for fashion, so nobody cares. The most noticeable thing to wear is shorts and flip-flops when it's 20 degrees and snowing. That will draw attention. A lot of students will wear clothes sporting their organizations on campus, such as fraternities, sororities, and special-interest groups.

Everyone is different, but most are cool. I enjoy meeting new people whether people of a different race or religion. I'm not sure of any student that would feel out of place at RIT. Most students wear to class are clothes they are comfortable in (jeans, and shirt). Different types of students do interact. It does happen occasionally. Table 1 would be the really "nerdy" kids that are into video games and were sheltered in life. Table 2 would be the kids that are really into anime. Table 3 would be of the more relaxed kids that are comfortable hanging out with whoever and are usually very cool people. Table 4 would be the people that think they're the best when they are actually not. Most RIT students are from the east coast. Most are middle class. Most students are not politically active/aware. They are center. Some students may talk about what they will earn one day.

There is a wide variety of students at RIT. Many different races, religions, and personalities. No student would feel left out here. A lot of people see RIT as a school for nerds, but we are well known for our hockey team too, and plenty of other sports so that even sporty people will feel comfortable here. Some students stick out at RIT, like the "free hugs" guy, or "santa hat" girl. Although the campus is large, students know one another. Some dress up for class while others wear sweats. Its not often you hear people judging another which is a great difference from my last school. Most students are from the US, mainly New York, but there are many foreign students at RIT. I personally love the diversity that RIT has. I like to learn about different cultures and meeting new people and this campus gave me the opportunity to do so.