Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

There is no discrimination at RIT that I have witnessed. The closest thing is some of the administration trying to force the advancement of women down our throats. Its odd to the student population because we don't view women as anything less than equals, or really even notice they're women. Its kind of a running joke. Student interaction is somewhat hard outside of your major because of the academic requirements, but it does exist if you make the effort. A lot of students are somewhat apolitical mostly because they feel they have better things to do in regards to their studies. However the general political opinion is probably somewhat left of center. Campus itself is very mixed economically and politically though, but the tittude and discourse remains totally casual outside the classroom.

RIT was a pretty cool crowd. I hung out mostly with other animators, rock climbers, and people from my floor freshman year. So everyone was laid back, friendly, and supportive. The great thing about college is that you are now an adult, and if you don't like someone or they don't like you, for whatever reason. You don't have to hang out with them (generally). I'm sure you can find assholes everywhere, but if you are looking for cool people, they are there. Generally the majority of the crowds at RIT are pretty intellectual in either a computer gaming nerdy way, or an artistic slant. Sure you have your pretentious business majors and what not, (not to say that all are) but you can easily avoid whoever isn't worth your time.

The student body at RIT is very diverse. We have students from a lot of different countries, though most of our student body is middle-class Caucasian. The biggest difference between RIT's population and any other institute/university is that we have the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID). 10% of the student population is deaf or hard-of-hearing. This means learning a little bit of sign language can benefit you a lot - it's a little awkward to try to talk to someone and not know how.

Students at this school truly run the gamut. Students from almost any socioeconomic background, continent, and religion can be found. I find the student population to be forward thinking, and probably are slightly skewed to the left politically. It is incredibly easy to meet and talk with someone who has lead an entirely different life from your own. The school is also very open and curious about different groups, and I've found it a very healthy place for intelligent discussion.

Most of my classmates are pretty cool people and seem quite intelligent. Some are a bit... off which is a part of the stereotype of RIT but I will say that I was surprised at how normal the people here seem even in spite of knowing the stereotypes were mostly untrue. By and large the people on campus are just like college students at a "normal" school, though perhaps less inhibited by the threat of being considered a nerd since everyone here is in some way or another.

I tend not to interact with different groups on campus. I find that not much happens here and typically I drive the 1.5 hours home every weekend because I have a lot of friends there and am usually guaranteed a good time. I think that RIT is a very diverse campus and that very few, if any, people feel out of place at RIT. There are people here from all different backgrounds - rich, poor, etc., as well as different ethnicities and religions.

I thought the campus was very diverse which I liked. Being in the north obviously there's more whites than anything, but I met first Indian friends, a bunch of Asian friends, I had friends of all races by the time I left RIT, which I really enjoyed. I figured a lot of students would be from the Rochester area, it was hard to find many that were. I met a lot from NYC area and other areas. Religion was a huge deal at RIT, which is a good thing.

When I go to the dining hall on campus, I am bound to know at least one face. I have met friends from my dorm, from work, from my classes, from clubs, or just randomly at an event or party. I have friends who are Jewish, non religious, Indian, gamers, designers, and deaf. There is a 70/30 guy to girl ratio, so I have more guy friends. There are so many types of people at this school that I think everyone fits in.

It's hard for anyone to feel out of place at RIT considering how many different groups, clubs, jobs and events there are. It's near impossible to categorize 15,000 students into financial backgrounds, political opinions, etc. - there is such a diversity of people. Different types of students interact all the time. Many of my friends are international students, and it makes the campus so much more interesting.

The students are very accepting of all groups. There are many international students and also ethnic, religious, and sexuality groups on campus. The NTID component of RIT supports hard of hearing and deaf students, which make up another large portion of the student body. It is common to be in a class with such students, and have interpreters or captionists assisting lectures.