Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

Personally, through my involvement in learning Italian and being apart of Italian club, I have had the opportunity to meet people from other countries and learn about what it was like for them growing up in a different environment than myself. If I had not been taking Italian I wouldn't have been able to meet so many people from so many different countries. This is probably my most favorite experience since being here, because it has informed my life in other areas besides my education. Most students wear sweatshirts, t-shirts and jeans to class. I don't think that the deaf students and hearing students interact that much. For as many deaf people there are here, it seems like the hearing people stay friends with the hearing people and the deaf people stay friends with the deaf people. I think otherwise different types of students interact here. My floor is very diverse and we all seem to get along for the most part and socialize no matter how you grew up or who you are. I think most RIT students are from New York State and the North East. I think that most people here are upper middle class to upper class.

Most groups on campus aren't radical, and are more curious about others than confrontational. A closed-minded student, unwilling to accept different viewpoints would feel out of place, because everyone is different at RIT. Again, it depends on the student. There might be people wearing buisiness suits, pajamas, casual clothes, or miniskirts (especially if they're transgender). Different types of students interact a lot, especially hearing and deaf. There's a lot of people that know sign language or a willing to communicate by other means. Table one: a kid with a collar and a tail, two girls in casual clothes, and a guy with huge headphones, Table two: a group of deaf students, one is wearing a cool hat. Table three: a group of students studying and watching a hockey game. Table four: a student sits alone because his friends are in class. There are mostly upper-middle to upper class students here. Depends on the student, but mostly aware and mostly liberal. Students I know don't talk about money often, except for student debt.

Most RIT students come from New York (upstate), Ohio, Pennsylvania and New England but I have met students from Washington, Texas, Malaysia, Kazakhstan and other distant locales. The vast majority of RIT students are solidly middle class. RIT isn’t particularly diverse, minus the deaf population and you hardly ever see students of different backgrounds interacting. Students here are not really politically aware of both the student government or the larger world but you can't really expect much of that at a Tech school. Yes there are creepy nerds at RIT. If you sound like the stereotypical RIT student you will feel right at home here. You can find normal people but some of it depends on luck. Be sociable during orientation since this is the only time at RIT you will not be piled in busy work. There are parties if you look (I’m not saying they are any good). You may have to lower your standards when it comes to the opposite sex. A lot of your friends may leave after the 1st quarter or year and its not that easy to meet people here.

The larger the school--the more they have to offer. RIT has 15,000 students, roughly. And therefore, every type imaginable! We even have hard-of-hearing students, so no one could feel out of place. There are lots of religious groups and several non-religious groups as well. To class, there's everything from sweatpants to more formal wear. In Chemistry, we always have to have long pants, closed toe shoe requirements, so the standard is jean pants and sneakers. We have several dining halls, and a lot of students that commute pack their own lunches. I eat mainly int he Chem Lounge, which is not a dining facility. Mostly, the students that interact are in the same discipline of study. Where are RIT students from? Everywhere! I know people from PA, NY, California, Massachusetts, and one from Brazil! RIT is typically an atheistic and very liberal college, due to the large amount of technical majors and male-dominatedness. But, I am just the opposite--and I fit right in.

Like O-M-G Becky, there are Krauts, Gooks, WOPs, Niggers, Fags, Honkies, Towel Heads, Kikes, and everything else you can think of on campus! (Have some balls and publish that.) You really don't see much tension about the mix of races and religions on campus. No matter what you are, you should be fine if you don't preach. I doubt anyone would feel out of place unless you're such a random and minute race/religion that you feel out of place everywhere. Most groups you'll see are based on the social structure. The geeks and nerds hang together, the frat boys and sorority girls will also. The sororities try to annoy everyone though. And I'd like to murder everyone playing frisby in the quad. In the dining hall, at every single table, is students who hate the dining hall food. Honestly, dining halls are really mixed because its mostly freshmen and some sophomores. You're forced to eat that crap all freshmen year.

Positive experience with different racial groups as I haven't seen much discrimination. Haven't been exposed to many different religious groups. Students with disabilities are outcasts, but not openly put down. A student with a disability OTHER than being deaf. This is common and accepted. Most students wear comfortable clothing. Typical college atmosphere. Yes, but that being said most groups of people that associate together are of the same race. Students highly interested in computer games, athlete table, table with guys and girls that are close friends, students that can't find another seat. New York state. Many are well off, but not rich. Many students are not politically aware / active. Most are democrats, as is common at a college. Some students talk about future earnings, others do not. Not a very open topic of conversation, but I have heard it.

RIT has a diverse student body. All races, LGBT, all religions, and level of wealth can be found here. All orientations are recognized by RITs administration. This allows for very unique learning experiences. Students range from quiet to loud, outgoing to introverted. There is a place for all students at RIT. Likewise, students wear clothing from professional to casual to punk rocker. All of these students can be found interacting, especially at the coffee shops. RIT students come from around the world. Many students come from India, and Asia, and Europe as well as from Canada, all of the US and a large portion from New York State. Some students are active in politics though RIT is not known as a rallying type of school. According to Facebook, most RIT students are conservative. I have to disagree though because many outspoken students profess Democratic views.

There are some organizations on campus sadly who are available for minorities that they believe aren't able to succeed at RIT like the northern star center for African American, Latin American, and Native American students or so it seems. But other than that I think RIT is tolerant of differences. Unintelligent students would be the only ones who would feel out of place. Majority of the students wear regular clothes, except for the "different" students who wear cloaks at night. Yes different types interact. To be real honest, the four table example isn't really relavent because it's just like high school in that aspect that you sit with your friends, by yourself, or get your food to go, no "jocks" or "nerds" in the social hierarchy. Most students are from Rochester.

I don't know how many students would feel out of place here. There are a lot groups on campus and i feel we are pretty diverse group. To class most kids will wear just casual clothes. I wouldn't say we roll out of bed to go to class but i doubt most kids spend 2-3 hours getting ready. Most RIT students are from new york or the northeast part of the country. I assume most kdis on this campus have some sort of financial stability since it is such an expensive school, but I really don't know. Most students are politcally aware and active and I couldn't tell you where the sit because I know I'm moderate but I'm sure like any other place they can go either direction. Some students do talk about how much money they'll earn one day but isn't that normal?

The RIT Gay Alliance thoroughly disappointed me with its lack of organization, and the general feeling of being ignored/unwanted because I did not care about the "gay agenda" nor did I identify as anything. Cliques formed very quickly amongst new group members, and I stopped going to meetings after a month. I can't think of any student that wouldn't be welcome here- even the non-tech savvy enjoy it here. I can't stereotype what "most students" wear because there is too great of a diversity of people on campus. Different students interact, although there is often a hesitance between different groups sometimes because of communication issues. Most RIT students are from within New York State, particularly the Rochester area.