Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

The first two, yes and no. Most stereotypes have some basis in fact, but a lot of them become self fulfilling. They do complain, A LOT. The trick is to not complain and enjoy your experience. RIT has amazing things to offer, find them. Rochester has great resources and great thigns to do from art openings at RIT to the Eastman theater, the RPO and the Eastman school of music. Theres always somethign going on at RIT. Our hockey stadium can only hold around 3000 people and yet doesn't sell out despite our constant success. If you don't look and don't participate, then of course theres nothing to do! Weird is the wrong term. There is every range of student at RIT as we populate programs and majors ranging from Computer Science and engineering, to artistic pursuits and fine art photography. As for Anti social, well if you complain a lot you become anti social. There are tons of nice people at RIT and tons to do. But it works both ways, no one is going to be friendly to someone who's not friendly back. Yes there are girls, they unfortunately are often a little wary of some of the guys though. Unfortunately stalking is a major problem (ask my fiancee)...This might having something to do with the fact that there are actually kids dressed (and acting) like ninjas on campus.

1. To a point... The girl to guy ratio was 3:1 when I started here in '03-'04 and it's now closer to 2:1. Still not many females in the technical majors (they tend to stay mostly in Business, Photography, Film, and New Media), but it's getting better. 2. RIT's academics are much different from other colleges. I think that we get exposed to a lot more topics than most schools, but because of the quarter system (10-week semesters), we don't always get the most thorough grasp on subjects unless you really put forth the extra effort to do so. 3. RIT does have a fairly large "nerd" population, but there are also lots of "normal" kids here that like to have fun and party like everyone else. 4. This one's pretty much true. Many people that go here hate it because it's really fast-paced and there isn't a whole lot of time for a social life. Instead of going out with some friends for the weekend, a lot of students are stuck doing projects. The lack of attractive females on campus doesn't help the happiness of this male-majority student body either.

Well, it's called Brick City for a reason. While, yes, the bricks are everywhere, you stop noticing it after a while and try to notice other things. As for the students, sure, we walk with our heads down, but that's only when we're trying to avoid the stinging wind or the blinding sun. When it comes to types of students, you'll find all of the above here, but with somewhere around 15,000 undergrads, you're bound to find a lot more, too. Students range from World-of-Warcraft addicts who are satisfied with 48 straight hours of gaming, pop and twizzlers, to those who enjoy socializing and partying every night of the week. The ratio of guys to girls is definitely guy-heavy, but guys, have no fear - depending on majors and where you choose to get involved in, the ratio tends to even out.

RIT is a huge school! If you want it, you can find it. While there definitely are the occasional student that you can't tell if they are male or female and are need of a shower, that isn't everyone. You will find nerdy, jock, preppy, gothic, punk, anything you want, its here. There definitely are parties. While not huge and as overbearing as some colleges, there are more low key get-togethers. We have more computers than students and campus wide LAN parties, for some its a great event, for others its a chance to experience something totally different. There are girls at RIT, more often in the college of science or liberal arts and not as many in engineering but thats most tech schools.

I think there's definitely a good amount of geniuses with a lack of social skills that are a bit obsessive with computers and such, but I'm also sure about the intelligence part of it as well. I think it's very hard to find someone here who doesn't belong academically. Nobody got in as a fluke; everyone has some sort of an idea about the world or life in general...even if it may be a bit crazy. It's just every single person I've met is interesting; we all have our own story, and that's really cool to see.

For the most part, it is true that guys are into video games a lot, but here is also a big population of more "social" gentleman out there. About the Female ratio at RIT. Even though as a whole RIT lacks female presence in its larger colleges like Science or Engineering. In the College of Business or in the College of Imaging Arts ans Sciences the reality if other. very hot and social women are available.

There are a lot of guys who fit the "WOW/creeper" stereotype, but most guys here seem to just not know how to make friends like normal people. Once you get them out of their RPG shell (assuming this is at all possible) they can actually be great people. As a female, I can truthfully say that the male:female ratio is just fine. Most of the girls here are perfectly normal.

Pretty much. The school does have a large deaf population, although I haven't really interacted with any deaf students since leaving the dorms. The nerds play computer games in their rooms (on any given night) and wear shorts in the winter. The film kids are always strange too. But all in all it makes for an interesting group of people to be around.

For the most part yes, worst ratio I've seen when visiting schools. If nerds means smart people, then its very true, there a lot of smart individuals. I mixed in with a lot of different types of students, but I do see a lot of clicks and unsociableness.

umm those are. I didn't have to many pre conceptions when I went to school, but I learned that a lot of the stereo types are both true and false. There are a lot of nerdy guys, but there are some that aren't, etc.