Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

yes

RIT is not a tech school. Currently going through an image renovation, RIT is becoming know as a University for Innovation. Though Technology classes make up the majority of the classes, many other classes teach non-tech material. The College of Business and Liberal Arts have the majority of non tech classes. Students who attend RIT don't always use computers either. Some in fact hate the things and do terrible in classes that require them. Most of these students however do not attend tech classes. RIT is know as the Brick City, which is an accurate stereotype. Some opinions state that the university is unattractive, but that is up for debate. Most student stereotypes are partially accurate, depending on what area of RIT you are in. While there are few females in the technical colleges, many students in the College of Liberal Arts, College of Business and the College of Imaging Arts and Sciences are in fact females. There are many deaf students at RIT and American Sign Language is like a second language here. However, the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) make up a small percentage of students at RIT. Students with pale skin, severe acne and tendencies to avoid social situations do exist, but most students are outgoing, outspoken while still attending technical classes. The term "nerd" and "geek" is not an insult at RIT and in some cases it is a compliment.

I do believe that some of these stereotypes are accurate because some of them are true. There are quite a few kids who do allow videogames to control their life, however I don't think that this is entirely true. I as well as many kids on campus don't even play videogames but enjoy being outside in the nice weather or doing some other kind of activity. The campus may be full of nerds but that doesn't necessarily mean bad, and also deffintely no pretty girls on campus. I can't even begin to say how many times I have heard from guys and people from other schools saying RIT has no pretty girls and I have to disagree with that. another stereotype is that we only care about engineers and although this is partially true because this school did start out for engineers in general I know that we also have a very competive film and animation program and I'm in the science program and I feel like I have had just as many oppurtunities as the engineers. Also this school has plenty of parties every weekend and plenty of really socially active kids but if you don't take time to get to know these kids or find the parties you will probably miss out.

ummm pretty much haha....as a female, i can say that i've definitely managed to find some great guys on this campus who are quite athletic and social.....also, i hate hwen people bitch about the social life here...because i've met plenty of awesome people and can't really complain about my social life...i can complain that i'm too busy to enjoy my social life, but i was still capable of building one here.... ...but there are a SHITLOAD of nerds though...i'm a girl stuck in building 70 all the time..the conversations i've overheard are ridiculous and hysterical! I've heard an hour conversation that started with Star Wars, moved to world wars, dinosaurs, alien contact, the end of the world, and managed to end with Star Wars....it was almost beautiful...i couldn't control my laughter though....i think they saw me....

No, when you really look at it, there is so much diversity within the college-we are home to a large number of deaf students, there are students who involve themselves in a lot of things and just try to live the college life. Sometimes the winters are harsh, but I know plenty of students who like playing outside in the snow and are sometimes restrained from doing so, only because of work. It's also not an ugly campus-we actually have a very unique structure-custom made bricks, now how cool is that? Ok maybe not so cool, but still it's pretty unique. We do have school spirit. It might show more at hockey games, but that's because we have a good hockey team (to the other sports-you're not D1, so if we don't have friends on the teams, we're too busy with classes to come and watch-sorry).

In all honesty, it doesn't take all that much to get into RIT (depending on the particular school). But the level of difficulty is usually determined by the student, as far as the school of film and animation goes. Even though students have the ability to slack off and make less ambitious films, it shows, especially in comparison to students looking to make more difficult projects. And, sadly, yes, there are a lot of overt dorks here. On the other hand, there are a lot of other types of students here, as well. Like every college, it has its art students, athletes, punks (not the physical abuse types), skaters, fratboys, etc. But the dorks _are_ the more noticeable (and smellable is some horrible cases) demographic.

Somewhat...The school is crawling with very intelligent people, but it is not to say everyone is brilliant. It is actually very handy to have so many smart people around because there is usually a helping hand available when doing your work. As a female, I do feel very safe here because the boys here are not very big or intimidating. The only large guys you will see are the Canadian hockey players. I think there are plenty of girls, but it really depends on the major you are in. If you are in computer science for example, you won't come across girls too often. If you are in advertising, photography, nutrition management or in the interpreting program at ntid you will many mostly girls.

It depends on the person, some guys do just sit in their room and play video games all day and as a result are not socially capable. However, there are a lot of people here who do not fit that stereotype and are very different. Also, there are a lot of girls here, and they are not all weird or bitchy. If anything I think people here are more open and friendly than you might see at another larger school. For some reason, everyone is willing to smile and be friendly to one another. At other larger universities I have seen this to be completely the opposite of truth.

For any situation, it depends on who you talk to. You could get some really socially inept people that can't make eye contact, or you could meet someone really cool. The woman thing is ENTIRELY innaccurate. Most of my friends are women, and most people on campus forget that there is an art/photo/animation part of RIT. Also, it shouldn't be too hard to get a date with a woman because most of the guys on campus are gay anyway. A lot of straight guys on campus just use this as an excuse to cover for their own incompetence.

Not that RIT is only a technical school, there are a lot of art majors that complement the engineering aspect. The stereotype that students do not have much of a social life is not completely true, but largely true. Many students are more of introverts than extroverts. I don't think RIT is boring, as there are things to do if one looks, but I don't think a lot of events are as publicised as they could be. The guy to girl ratio isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it is worse that 1-1.