Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

To an extent. RIT has a large art program and liberal arts school that helps balance out the student population. Most of the business, engineering students and art students dont fit into the stereotype, which is at least half of the population. Also, the school has been doing a lot to increase the female population and were at about 60% male, 40% female. Maybe even better at this point.

Not 100% - RIT is a place where everyone can be themselves, whether someone stereotypes them as a nerd, freak, or geek, someone else may think of them as artistic, inventive, or genius. Once you get past the fact that RIT does not look like other traditional colleges, you appreciate the amount of work it took to lay the brick on the amount of campus that exists.

If you're coming to RIT for engineering or computing majors of any types then yes, it's true. There are very few females in the Engineering and Comp Sci departments. Other majors are pretty even in the male to female ratio. As for nerds, we do have tons of those but there are a great majority of normal, friendly people.

for some but not all. many students are proficient with new technologies, but also there is a strong liberal arts and art presence here. for the most part though i would say rit students tend to be more of nerds than other schools that i have visited and know people who attend other universitys.

The stereotype about 7:3 men to women is very accurate. There are a lot of men at RIT. The stereotype that everyone is a geek and builds their own computer type of person is not correct. There are many gamers, computer geeks, engineering students but there are also many other students.

Some of them are, some of them are not. It is difficult because it is all based on perception and from what vantage point you are looking at the campus. I can see where the stereotypes come from, but RIT is working hard to change them and get RIT students more involved in the campus.

Yes and no. At RIT there are a lot of nerdy students, but there is much more to them than the stereotype suggests. There are also a lot of anime kids...however not the entire student body. One shouldn't judge RIT as a whole based on one section of students.

No, not really. Now yes you see those people around, but most of the people here at RIT are friendly, sunshine enthusiasts so do not be to fearful, and just know you jump out of your safety zone it'll be SO MUCH better in the long run.

Male:Female ratio--YES, but it is an exaggeration. Now it is supposedly 3:1 but the extra females are in photo and art. If you are any math class or class other than photo/art, the ratio is still crazy high males!

There are students who are in majors that have little to do with computers, however, the majority are in computer related majors and they embody the stereotype of a typical nerd or geek to a tee.