Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

Sports: Hockey(cuz they are division 1) then Basketball. Thats all I really hear of but Im just one person. Organization: student gov and CAB (college activities board!!! they bring in cool people lik RIhanna and the likes) Clubs: there's too many but shout out to OAS(org. of African Students). oh maybe Campus crusade 4 christ (i blieve that's what they are called. This is based on the amount of advertisement i see) Im in organization of african students (we are incusive, you can be anything from anywhere). our most popular event is "Africa Week" and the show that it ends with (this year april 11th). I'm on the executive board and it's good practice for leadership skills. it's a cool club i guess. I'm a tinsy bi involved with ALAANA Collegiate (basically for minorities, but inclusive once again). They hold some killer fashion shows with major artists/people (this year Bobby Valentino)among other interesting events. Athletic events aren't really that popular here! They don't even have a football team which is another popular complaint. I'm pretty sure sports here would still be wack regardless... Guest Speakers are pretty good. The dating Scene? Are you guys serious! wow anywayzz thats another thing people complain about. There are way more dudes than chicks, and you'd think being a female I'd be happy but I personally don't find the dudes here attractive at all lol I know you're probably thinking it's because I'm black and want black guys... well sorry to dissapoint but you are wrong! I'm attracted to attractive peopl regardless of race and there are very very very (to the infinity) few attractive dudes here... COme here and see for yourself... this is the one things I've said so far that is NOT Biased lol. That said, I suggest not looking for anyone here because people usually get HUrttt from left to right. Relationships don't last too very long here from what I've seen heard, and if you gotta know been through. This is something you'll have to judge yourself though so I'll shut up now. My closest "friends" I met in clubs, academic programs(NOrth Star Academy), and my dorm. 2am teusday im doing work, or chilling with my friend eventhough i have work to do or should def be sleeping!!! Brick City Homecoming is a big one(very dry and boring in my opinion, shouldnt be called such a thing when compared to other schools homecoming. I cant think of any others right now so i guess thats a bad thing.. Parties: almost every other weekend if not every weekend... NOw are they good parties that is the true question, but then again Im not really in to parties Fraternities SOrorities are existent but i dont really follow them. I only know them by the colors they wear lol I only know a few by name... last weekend? good ques i have no idea, but i promise you it wasnt anything interesting. probably something that involved sleepin, a meetin (dat was fun), and music). on reg weekend tho im chillin with a friend (good fun friends keep you sane here.. that is if you can find any). saturday night: maybe there'll be some event like a concert (not too often tho) go do something off campus if you can find a ride that is if not better stay ya butt home n play spades pool or something like dat. off campus i go shoppin A LOT... this doesnt mean I like the mall, but there is this one store there that has some ok stuff. but yea shoppin is da most thing. eating is possible n movie is too, but only with a ride.

I think Hockey is the most popular sport on campus, but RIT encourages support for all of the sports teams by having Tiger Den Events in each sport so every team can have games with a huge crowd. If you like to play sports but don't want to play at the college level, there are also intramural sports where you can form your own team and play one of the 16 that are offered. Every year we have Homecoming weekend also known as parents weekend in October, Freezefest in February, Springfest in April, and ImagineRIT in May. Parents weekend, Freesefest, and Springfest are all on weekends and there are around four events each day with performances, guest speakers, free giveaways, and other events like 5K races. ImagineRIT is a huge weekend that brings in around 20,000 spectators from the community to see what RIT innovators (students) are coming up with. I am a part of Phi Sigma Pi National Honors Fraternity and we have fundraisers, service events, and scholarship events where we learn how to do something new that we could not learn in a classroom. Since it is an Honors Fraternity, there is a GPA requirement and academics are very important. This is how I met some of my closest friends. Getting involved in an organization or club on campus is an excellent way to meet new people. There are also social fraternities and sororities and other academic fraternities on campus. While they are not a large part of the social life at RIT, I do know a few people who join them. Clubs are also very big on campus and there is a wide variety of them, around 250. On my dorm floor, not many people left their door open, including myself. The rooms were directly across from one another so it was a little weird if both people left their doors open. I have, however, been to other floors where many people left their doors open, it really depends. Last weekend I went to the Rochester Public Market with my roommate. We drove there, but there is a bus that will take you there and bring you back. There are buses that run to downtown Rochester, and also closer to RIT to the mall, grocery store, etc.

The major student organizations include Student Government, College Activities Board, LGBT, AANALA, residence life, Reporter magazine, Greek council, WITR, the campus radio station and a couple more. I'm involved in Hillel, which is the Jewish organization, Women's lacrosse, the graphic design club I work at the child day care on campus, and the cafeteria. There's so many things to do on campus. Most people go out to the hockey games on Friday or Saturday night. It's always a great time, especially if we win. Other nights I'll go ice skating, see a hypnotist, improv show, or movie, go to a dance, or party. I have been to dodgeball club, soccer games, looked into being in a sorority, tried out for the varsity lacrosse team, done community service, attended leadership retreats, and tried to work for Reporter magazine. My favorite activities of the year include Spring fest in which we get inflatables in the gym, tie-dye, snow cones, kan-jam tournaments and other outdoor activities. RIT also puts on a concert. Imagine RIT is also a really cool event. It's the innovation and creativity in which students get to showcase their work. About 10,000 people come to RIT that day. It's insane. As a girl on this campus, there are a lot of options to date people. You just have to keep an open mind and heart. The guys chances are a little slimmer - my advice is to just be friendly, but not in a creepy way. Off campus, theres a slew of chain restaurants and stores to go to. Going to Wegman's (supermarket) is always an adventure, you will always run into someone you know. There's also 2 malls close by, a dollar theatre, and the best 24 hour diner around.

Student Government is probably the most prominent organization on campus, because they are visible and make themselves known, but there are a million other groups that I can't even pretend to know. I'm personally involved with SAAC - the Student Athletic Advisory Committee. We are representatives from RIT's sports teams who organize community activities and try to promote interactivity between athletes and non-athletes, as well as "school spirit" at sporting events. Besides this group, I'm part of a couple others, and I also hold two jobs on campus. It helps you really get to know the campus and meet so many different people. Dorms are interesting - the floors can be crazy or quiet. Freshman year, we never left our door shut and hardly ever even locked it (not that I would recommend this), but that was how close our whole floor was. CAB - the College Activities Board, usually holds events throughout the weekend, including Thursday night's cinema night, Friday's "Friday Night in the Ritz", which is usually some kind of open-mic night or other activity. "Thirsty Thursday" is tradition, and parties also of course go on during Friday and Saturday nights. There are pretty strict guidelines about alcohol in the dorms, but it is allowed in apartments as long as you're of age - of course these guidelines are always stretched by students. There are some sweet places to go downtown for dancing, as well as bars in the area for hanging out. Drinking isn't everything though - there are plenty of places to go for coffee, bowling, video games, etc. Oh, and the dollar theatre is always a good choice.

Doors are often open in the dorms, or at least were during the only year I lived in them. Athletics for us are fairly popular. We don't have a football team, of course, but our Men's Hockey just moved up to Division 1 last year and finished at the top of their Division. My closest friends here were either the couple of people I was friends with from home that also went here, or people that I took classes with and worked on homework/studied with. Greek life on campus is fairly big. It's not as involved or prominent here compared to better known colleges, and there are more Greek organizations on campus than meet the eye. Every year we have "Spring Festival" which is a weekend where we have a fairly big concert and there are events going on outside all weekend. It's not a huge drinking fest like a lot of college's big weekends are (FredFest in Fredonia, Cortaca in Cortland or Ithaca, etc.), but there are some fun things to do. There is usually a big concert or comedian that comes to RIT every quarter for a performance and there's a pretty big range on it. We just had Panic At The Disco and Motion City Soundtrack come here last night for a big concert and a few weeks ago Paramore came here with Jimmy Eat World. A couple years ago Ludacris was here, and another time it was Dierks Bentley. Dane Cook came here before his Retaliation CDs came out, and most recently Pablo Francisco was here, and just before that it was Lisa Lampanelli.

Greek organizations are pretty popular, as well as the sports teams. I'm involved with Phi Kappa Psi.We are a organization that is very involved with helping others(philanthropy), we are also involved with many other organizations on campus(CAB, Sportszone, Student Government), and we try to make RIT the best for ourselves and for others. Students in the dorms leave their doors open hoping someone will come in and won't have to invite them in. Athletic events could be more popular, but hockey takes the cake right now. Attendance for speakers and theatre are sparse. The dating scene is good, you just have to know what you're doing. If anyone needs help, they can ask me. I met my closest friends by saying, "hello." If I am awake at 2am on a tuesday I am either doing work, or relaxing after just finishing work. Each year there are Mr RIT, Mud Tug, Spring Fest, and Brick City. People party as much as their work allows. They get their work done before partying. Greek life is very important, according to administration, because they are a lot harder with disciplining greeks than any other organizations on campus. Last weekend I worked during Imagine RIT, and then I went to my fraternities formal event. On a saturday I would go see a movie, or just relax. My weeks are very busy. Off campus I see people I haven't seen in a while, and have fun. We'll go bowling, see a movie, or go to downtown rochester.

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? Im not really sure. There is Greek life but they were pushed off campus. Tell us about a group you’re involved with. I was involved in the Student literary magazine. I recommend getting involved in something as early as possible. Do students in dorms leave their doors open? No How popular are athletic events? Not Guest speakers? Bill Clinton. Nuf Said. Theater? If there was one i'd like to know. Tell us about the dating scene. Hot guy on guy action. Not enough women. Not enough places that could have parties on campus. How did you meet your closest friends? They were the people who lived with me freshman year. If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? Watching Basketball with my roommate or studying. What traditions/events happen each year? Brickfest. What is that? How often do people party? Twice a week if possible. How important are fraternities/sororities? They are somewhat important but the parties they had were mostly off campus because RIT is a dry campus. How Stupid!!! What did you do last weekend? I have a job now. Im not in school. What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? Watch Anime What do you do off campus? Drink and Drive.

Greek life is fairly popular on campus, but not everyone goes Greek. I am in Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity (we're coed). We are based on a tripod of 3 ideals: scholarship, fellowship, and leadership. There is no football team at RIT, but hockey is huge! Our hockey arena is packed for every game, to the point where there's standing room only. The Corner Crew (a group of students and faculty that are "loud and obnoxious at hockey games") will taunt opponents and start chants that get the whole crowd riled up. The College Activities Board is always posting events and booking entertainment, whether it be bands, comedians, guest speakers, or trips. We have 2 game halls open every night, where students can play video games, watch TV/movies, or play pool. There is plenty of stuff available on-campus, but off-campus has a lot of appeal. There are clubs, bars, restaurants, museums, parks, and plenty of shopping. There are buses that run off-campus for students who don't drive, and the price is very reasonable for students.

I think Frisbee is pretty big. Probably the anime and videogame clubs as well, I assume. I'm involved in a group that gets drunk a lot. We blast music too loud and make fun of people while failing miserably at darts and random Wii games. Probably the best student group on campus, or at least damn near the top. My dorm was fucking miserable, but I hear most of them aren't too bad. Athletic events and speakers are usually quite a big hit. The dating scene really ain't too bad, a big of a surprise as that may be. I met the majority of my friends through the consumption of massive amounts of alcoholic beverages, of course. 2 AM on Tuesday I'm either watching movies or playing videogames. None worth mentioning. Parties seem pretty frequent. Frats and Sororities act like they're a big deal, but I don't think too many people really take them seriously. Last weekend I got ridiculously drunk and sucked at darts. Also played computer games. Uh... sleep? Go bowling.

To start with freshman year, dorm life is great! Well it was for me anyway, I know people that would disagree but this is my impression. It is great having a random group of guys and girls living away from home for the first time together, dealing with the same type of problems and sharing their past experiences together. A large number of my friends come from my floor freshman year. The dating seen at RIT is terrible, but not hopeless. My girlfriend (who lived 3 doors down from me freshman year) and I have been seeing each other for 2 years now. But not everyone is lucky. Unfortunately, many people get frustrated and a lot even give up. But if you stay strong and don't loose hope, the opportunities do exist. Partying is always an available option if that is your cup of tea. It should never be difficult to find something going on near campus. Just be careful of priorities. I have some horror stories from freshman year concerning a few people that are no-longer students at RIT