Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

Most popular grrrroups. Hmmm…. The Intervarsity Christian organization is pretty big. The electronic gaming society is also hideously rampant… go figure. I am involved with the Triathlon Club. We’re smallish, but we’ve got dedicated followers. Open dorm rooms varies from floor to floor. Predominantly male dorms (or all male dorms) tend to be highly anti-social. Either because they’re socially awkward kids playing World of Warcraft all day, or they’ve left to hang out in a more interesting place. Dorms with a better male/female mix will be more social, I’ve found. Athletic events are… well, male hockey is pretty big. That’s about it. Guest speakers can draw in a good crowd. I once saw three auditoriums full for one dude (they had to do a live broadcast). I haven’t kept up with theater. I’m pretty sure they bring in a decent amount of folk, but the RIT Players don’t get much support from RIT in general. What dating scene? It’s a sad, sad, sad state. My closest friends I’ve met through classes. 2AM… on a Tuesday. Either asleep (because it is very rare), or in the labs doing work (not so rare). Dunno, don’t care. People party often. Very often. But you’re not obligated to go. We won’t judge you for being a prude. Frats and sororities are only important to themselves. The rest of us don’t give a cheese. Last weekend I organized an indoor triathlon with over 100 people, participated in it, went out to eat with friends, then promptly fell asleep. That was Sunday. The day before, a friend and I put on 40 t-shirts each then played tennis in a parking lot. We went out to a movie shortly after that. You can go bowling, go to the dollar theater (best place ever), play board games, or… do school work. That’s always popular. Go to bars, watch some local shows, go the movies… stuff like that. When the weather’s nice, we go biking, maybe go to the beach.

I wouldn't say anything is tremendously popular. A lot of people attend hockey games. Note: We don't have a football team. The gym is great if that is your things. Everything from working out to soccer nets to basketball courts etc. There are quick a few more "nerdy" clubs for video games and the like. I really wasn't interested by any of it. The dorms are pretty friendly. A lot depends on your random placement. You'll probably find friends on your floor or near by easily. The dorm itself will be tiny, but if your roommate showers, you'll be ok. RAs are usually pretty relaxed, so you can drink and all that fun stuff. Definitely be social those first few weeks. Even if you're normally shy, talk to some people because its easier sooner than later. Trust me. I used to go home every weekend to see my girlfriend and it hurt my social life freshman year. Most of my closest friends are from freshman year. If you want to smoke the good stuff, I'd recommend walking into the woods at least though. Dating, well I wouldn't try it at RIT. If you're a guy, head out to a nearby school for girls. If you're a girl, you really have your pick as of right now. For you nerdy guys who are still virgins, we do get your nerdy girl counterparts, but be prepared to fight over them. There are a lot of computer major guys and very very few computer major chicks who look good. Scrape your bacne and get your ass out there son. Welcome to the world of thirst Thursday. You'll rarely have Friday classes, or rarely go to them. Long weekend lead to social Thursdays and usually fri/sat parties. They are usually packed though, so throw your own for God's sake. Really, other than parties there isn't much around here to do. If we can't find something good, we'll veg and watch some movies, play some video games, or whatever. In the area is bowling alleys, but really, its not much.

Anime club, RITGA, and no voice zone are really popular. I'm only involved in the first two. Anime has two showings a week and hosts an anime convention in the spring. RITGA is a friendly group of glbtqqaa students aimed at socializing (at the moment), there's movie and game nights, and they hold special events on campus sometimes. Yes, most dorms have an open door policy and most floormates know eachother. Hockey games are popular, and basketball is growing in popularity. Haven't yet gone to a guest speaker. As far as the dating scene goes, I can only go into the rainbow spectrum, but there's a lot of options because of the uniqueness of the people at RIT. Also, you can always head to UofR or the city of Rochester and try to pick up a date there if you know something is going on. I met my closest friends through orientation and through other friends. I also met them at clubs, like tae kwon do and ritga. I am off campus, either in a 24 hour coffee shop or diner, or at a nightclub. I'm new to the campus, so I don't know traditions yet. Depends on the person and time of year, if it's after a stressfull period, everyone parties but if there's finals or something most students are focused on work. Greeks don't really hold any relevance on campus, I don't see the point of joining one at RIT. Last weekend I went on a double date to the mall and I-HOP for valentines day <3. You can always do whatever you like to do with friends, whether it's watching movies, playing videogames, or just hanging out. I go clubbing off campus, then go to either Denny's or Jay's. The mall too, and eating. There's also always Java's.

There are a plethora of clubs and activities on campus. I saw a sign the other day for a sailing club...didn't know we had one! But the most popular teams on campus...hockey, track, volleyball :) A lot of athletic events are not too popular..with the exception of the hockey team. Last year when i lived in the dorms, I lived in Baker (Honors Dorm) and from my experience...just about everyone left their doors open... i loved my floor last year!!! But i have heard stories from other students that lived in the dorms where they said no one ever left...and doors were always closed. Bummer. How did I meet my closest friends? Volleyball team and through class. I am awake often at 2 on a Tuesday or any day for that matter...usually either doing homework, or surfing the web, listening to music. Some people party often, some just on the weekends. Me personally, only ever on the weekends if I do...I'm not a huge partier..but i do like the social scene. Fraternities and sororities are not that popular here, but I have heard of Zeta...if i had to join one...that would be the sorority i would join. Last weekend, I took a vacation home back to Delaware, Philly area. What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking? Go party! You do not need to drink to have a good time. It's often pretty funny to see the reactions of everyone else...and often a lot of students watch movies, kick back ... some do puzzles, some have a ice cream sundae night....some do homework...but thats no fun to do on a saturday night. It's what you make of it!

I think that Greek Life is probably the most popular organization on campus and the largest, then probably the other large Student Organizations on campus, then the Anime club and video game club are also probably the largest and most popular clubs. Yes initially people in the dorms left their doors open, but towards the end of the quarter the doors are closed more because people know each other more. The athletic events aren't that popular except for the hockey games. I think that the girls have an advantage in the dating scene here because there are so many guys and so few girls, the guys can't be super picky. I met my closest friends from my floor in the dorms, being involved in Italian Club and going to Genoa this summer, and being involved in Student Government. People seem to party pretty often here, especially in the apartments. However, there is a good chunk of people that don't party. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am probably doing home work or down the hall hanging out in one the guys room watching them throw stuff out the window and watching it explode. Last weekend I went to the movies, I went to dinner in Pittsford, I went to the drive in and, I went to lunch and dinner two other times on Sunday. Since I don't drink I would probably go to the movies, go to a play, go to pittsford, go to dinner in henrietta, or go shopping at the mall.

Sadly the most popular groups on campus are the Electronic Gaming Society and the Anime Club. There are plenty of other clubs on campus that are active like SEAL, the model train club, Asian Culture society and others. Deaf organizations tend to be quite active. On the whole, RIT students are not really into extracurricular or volunteering. Greek life plays a very minor role. The dorms vary wildly. In Ellingson, no one ever kept there door open, hearing or deaf but in other dorms almost every dorm was open. You don't get to choose where you live unless you want to live on a special interest house your first year. The dating scene is pretty pathetic. Most RIT men lose their ability to interact normally with women (if they even had one) around October of their freshman year. There are parties on weekends mostly around park point or colony manor. They are full of men. If you don't drink you can hang out with friends, watch a movie or play video games. Or you can study. If you have a car you can explore the bars and clubs or downtown Rochester. The only sport that receives any attention at RIT is men’s hockey. Try to go to a game if possible. There is no football team and no one really pays much attention to basketball.

At RIT the College Activities Board (CAB) is a very popular organization. They are know for putting on shows featuring Bob Dylan and Jimmy Eat World. The Public Relations Student Society of America is very new at RIT and is working on starting a student run firm this spring. RIT hockey is huge and more alive than ever. Recently, Apple's Steve Wozniak came to speak and enjoyed a large turn out. Apple computers are common on RIT campus. The dating scene is alive and well, even with geeks and nerds. Students also date outside of their ethnicity which is nice. If students are awake at 2 am on Tuesday night, there are likely writing papers due on Wednesday. The highly anticipated Innovation and Creativity Festival this spring is going to be huge and really put RIT on the map as a University for Innovation. Last weekend my team mates met to finish out final project for this quarter. After presenting the project, our team met our professors at the local pub to celebrate. Many activities can be found at night that don't involve drinking. There are late night sports and games, and many students socialize at the campus coffee shop. RIT is currently a dry campus, too.

I don't know about the most popular clubs/groups on campus, I prefer spending my time with friends at the dorms. My hallway almost always leaves our doors open. Athletic events aren't very popular here, unless someone knows one of the team members. Guest speakers are ignored- we don't get anyone interesting or exciting, in my opinion. I don't care for or partake in the 'dating scene'. I did not meet my closest friends at RIT. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I'm probably hanging around the hallway with other floormates, joking around and having fun. People don't party on my floor, as we're the alcohol/substance-free floor. I don't like fraternities or sororities, and I have noticed that most students don't like them either. They're not important here, to me at least. I studied for finals last weekend. I can play videogames with fellow floormates, go to a movie, watch dildo infomercials with a large group of floormates and laugh at the ridiculous products put on sale. Off campus, you can go to Walmart, Barnes & Noble, to the movies, or go out to eat. I don't get off campus much, and I prefer it that way.

1. SG, Greek Life, RIT Athletics 2. I'm heavily involved with athletics because I played 4 years varsity soccer and I was the co-founder of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. I have spent a lot of time developing the Athletics programs and to help build athlete-RIT community relations. 3. It is encouraged for students to leave their doors open, but I did not see if happen regularly when I lived in the dorms. 4. Hockey and Lacrosse are very popular, we are working on building up the popularity of the other programs. 5. Dating scene is limited... 75% males to 25% females. Most people do not find their significant other until post-RIT 6. I met them through sports. 7. People do not party that often because RIT is a dry-campus and there is a strict drinking policy. Most students go off campus to drink or drink in their apartments. 8. Greek Life is prevalent but it is not a strong component of the RIT campus. 9. There are many things to do in Rochester that do not involve drinking. Rochester has 4 semi-pro teams for different sports, 2 theaters, numerous off-broad way productions, festivals, etc..

The social life at RIT is hidden but great once you can find your way in. i wouldn't say there is any team, club, etc on campus that is more popular then any other team. It all depends on what group you find yourself. The athletic events are populat but based on the number of kids on campus their could be way more people here. The dating scene, well I found a boyfriends pretty quickly but I don't know how it is to be a guy here. The ratio is about 3 guys to 1 girl so i'm sure it must be a little harder for guys to find a girl they want to date. I met my closest friends here by attending a party with a sophomore i had known through the tennis team and my engineering class. I personally party usually once to twice a week usually friday and saturday night. However there have been plenty of night where me and my boyfriend just hang out and watch a movie or go see a movie. There is plently of things to do around here espcially since we are so close to rochester...you just need to look.