Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

Hockey team. Used to be on the men's soccer team. Majority of the team seemed to be on the team for social reason's, i.e. partying. Others were more academically focused and low key. All loved the game itself, just different motivations for being there. Many students have their doors open because the R.A.'s advocate this. Hockey events are very popular, other sports are not nearly as popular. Guest speakers and theater are not very popular at all. For students looking for someone to date, there are opportunities. Many students are socially withdrawn, and therefore come across as not really looking to date. Through people living on my floor freshman year. Homework. Brick City festical, hockey games. Every other weekend, or once every 3 weekends. on average. Frats and sororities aren't very important. Last weekend I went to a hockey game, went to a bar, went to a friends party, and did homework. Homework! Go to the bar.

RIT has a ton of events. The College Activities Board brings in speakers, comedians, bands every quarter. There are movie screenings ever week, as well as some smaller band or comedian every week. Some of the bands this year were, Rhianna, Paramore, Jimmy Eats World, Jack's Mannequin. Some of the comedians we've had are John Stewart, Dan Cook, Carlos Mencia. I always go to some of the GLBT events, because they have Drag Shows, and competitions. With 160 different clubs there are always events on campus to go watch or participate in. Students love to party probably every 3 weeks are the biggest parties, after we have midterms. If you like hockey, RIT is a great school. If you enjoy football, well go to the RITZ (bar on campus) and enjoy watching other colleges play. Lots of students get involved with either greek life, or sports on campus. I chose a sports team instead of a sorority, but many students do both.

the biggest RIT activity I saw wasn't attending clubs or going to sporting events...it was drinking and drugs. Granted, the school have activities and events, and some of them were really enjoyable. However, those events only cover a smattering of days out of the year. The rest of the time students are faced with continuous days of overcast skies and constant snow, not to mention the daily quarter mile walk in the bitter wind from the dorms to the classrooms. There is no college town, no venue students can go to consistently to get away from school and clear their heads, only snow...lots and lots of snow. As a result, the most popular activity became getting together with your group of friends, and drinking and drugging yourself stupid, or at least enough so you can forget where you are and how many more years you have to spend there.

Hockey is the most popular. It is our only Division I sport, and I feel that it really brings the school together. I am in the pep band, so I attend most of their games. Dating: NO! Mostly guys, so they say that all the girls are taken. Music: We had a musical last year, it was fun. Generally, the music program is not very great though. How did I meet my friends? Through my major. At 2am on a Tuesday, I am either studying or sleeping. There are fraternities and sororities, but you do not have to be a part of them. I feel that they take the people that want to drink away from campus, which is a plus for me! I do not drink. Saturday, I was probably hanging out with my boyfriend watching a movie, after a long day of homework.

RIT is a dry campus. It is in a terrible location, with almost NO bars or youth activities within walking distance. You would have to drive in order to reach the downtown Rochester "bar scene" if you'd call it that, because it's too far to walk, and the Rochester Public Transit system is god-awful. There are 2 restaurants that serve alcohol on campus, but you can only order a drink if you order food as well. Campus is often pretty dead on the weekends. Definitely not what I'd consider a party school. However, RIT is very proud of it's hockey team. Also, the RIT radio station, WITR, is one of the best in the country, if you ask me.

hockey, soccer, and lacrosse. im on the tennis team. we are such a small team which brings us closer together. sometimes they leave their doors open. hockey games are very popular. not so sure about guest speakers and theater, or the dating scene. i met my closest friends from the tennis team. playing on my computer/ procrastinating. brick city weekend and spring fest. Every weekend people party. frats and sororities dont seem to be too important here. last weekend i worked and then hung out with friends at night. bowling and play wii. shopping or go home

im involved with SAAC we work to promote athletics on campus. althletic events are getting more popular but are not as popular as they should be. If im awake 2am on a tuesday im working in the lab all night. my closest friends ive met through the tennis team, on my freshman floor, and animators who stay late in the lab. people party every weekend. last weekend i made dinner at a friends house and ran the indoor triathlon and met with my group about our animation project we're doing on our own. watch movies, go bowling, play games, or sleep.

Dorms are hit or miss. My dorm was completely anti-social, but others are open door and friendly. It really depends on your luck what kind of social environment you'll be in. Greek life isn't very popular at RIT. There are a number of fraternities and sororities, but it's by no means prevalent. Weekend activities for most students involve bars and house parties which get old really quick. I prefer just chilling with a group of friends now a days. Academics are tough and parties are few so if partying is your life, RIT might not be for you.

Geeks are cool here! Anime club is the biggest in the country. The religious clubs get a lot of people. Because we are home to NTID, the deaf tech school, we have deaf ethnic clubs such as the deaf Asians and such. Uniqueness is what makes RIT really great. Sports arent too popular but the new president is trying to change that. If only the student body responds.... Frats arent too much of a big deal, and parties arent well attended either. My friends and I go bowling often. Lame, but cheap and fun.

CAB - im in the Business Leaders of Tomorrow, special interest house focused on getting freshman adjusted to college with students and a background that they can relate to. - some but not all - hockey is biggest but everything else is moderate - there are some weird couples on campus, but its a lot, its a lot of singles too - we lived on the same floor - watching tv - finals and spring fest - every wknd - they are quite important to those who are interested - i partied - go to a party and not drink - party